Calling all Canon 450d Users!!

Another 450D noob here too - am going to collect the kit as soon as hubby gets back from his walk (he's a hillwalker and the weather is gorgeous today so he might be some time :sulk:)

3164153288_527a95e8c9.jpg

3163324213_5085a17de1.jpg

2 shots taken at 250mm tonight with my 450d and 55-250mm IS. Happy enough with them, *** they could be a tad sharper!

They look good, start with the darker one, crop it tight, so that the moon fills one end of the crop frame, how does it look ?

Here's an example shot using the same kit and cropped like I described.What are you processing them with ?
IMG_9524.jpg

I've just upgraded to a Canon 450D too so thought I'd join the thread!

I got it from Jessops, bundle with kit lens 18-55mm, tamron 70-300mm, 4GB memory card and centon camera bag. Really pleased with the price and the performance so far.

I am looking forward to using it as I leanr more and advancing on from my bridge camera - hopefully I'll fit in more on these boards now with the proper equipment!

See you around the boards

I just bought myself:

* eos 450D with 18-55mm IS kit
* 50mm f1.8 II
* 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
* Sandisk 8gb SDHC card
* Lowepro microtrekker 200

I know that all this things have arrived. But my college is in holiday so I couldn't get it until the 5th of Jan.. D:

Now I just need to get myself a tripod..

I've got the same bag, I was under the impression a body and 200mm is the max it'll fit? is there much room if you fit the 55-250 on the body and slot it in the bag? am i making sense? lol

I've got the same bag, I was under the impression a body and 200mm is the max it'll fit? is there much room if you fit the 55-250 on the body and slot it in the bag? am i making sense? lol

well.. i seen a pic someone putting in EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM + hood attached to a 400D in it so i think 55-250 is ok. :p

you can see the pic in cambags.com :D

Perhaps off topic:

I'm waiting for the firmware hack that will push the ISO to 3200.

Sweeeeeeet.

there is no topic! Its just where 450d's gather! Is there a hack going on? Reviews tend to say it can handle 3200 iso with ease, had it been enabled!

there is no topic! Its just where 450d's gather! Is there a hack going on? Reviews tend to say it can handle 3200 iso with ease, had it been enabled!

It could handle 3200 with ease because it's not a "real" rating - it's pushed. So it could definitely handle it. There might already be a hack, but these things are hard to publicise for obvious reasons.

/goes to look

hope this isnt off topic but i've just read up on 'pushing' and wouldnt you be able to achieve the same result by setting the exposure compsation to -1 stop and then 'pushing' in photoshop?

(in fact i've done this before to keep the shutter up, before i knew it had a special name lol)

I bought myself one for Christmas (450D Kit) and a EF-S 55-250 IS lens and EX430II flash with a 8gd SD extreme 3, new to photography but learning slowly.:thinking:

It's like being back at school - all this learning is making my head hurt :thinking:

It's funny, I originally had the idea that I would love to take shots of birds / wildlife but the more I see of the street / candid shots the more I am tempted to sway in that direction - I've just been taking practice shots of the family so far but it's amazing what expressions and features the camera captures in a person

got a 450 3 months ago by insurance cos my 400 took a dislike to sea water
for glass i have the kit and a tamron 70-300 and i love its reach, pondeing a nifty fifty but woner if it will be a bit short and be a pain. would like the 28-104L but its a bit steep
got a 430exII for crimbo and pt04's are in the post
centon bag is hateful i want a backpack i can fit my kit and my lappy in
also have cheapy tripod which is useful

Hello guys, just signed up to the forum, and just today bought myself the 450d with the basic 18-55mm lens from warehouseexpress.com for £427 (£377 with the canon cashback!) and I've also got a polarizing filter and wide angle converter on the way!

I've found an 18-200mm lens from Tamron also for £155 which i thought looked pretty good.. and ive heard it'd be good to have the 50mm in my camera bag..?

I've been photographing for years now and have had the Konica Minolta Dimage A200 8mp 'bridge' type camera for 3years so thought it was time for a DSLR!

here is my flickr with my pics from that camera.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtomcc/

Any advice on another lens and some 450' tips would be great to hear from you guys and some feedback from my flickr would be wicked too!

look forward to hearing back
cheers,
tom

Hi all,

I have got a 450D with a 'nifty fifty' and Sigma 70-300 Macro DG APO. I find it an excellent camera, but there is a learning curve that separates standard 'not particularly special shots' and things which are truly excellent. The best thing is that the 450D will allow you to take those 'truly excellent' shots, its just you need to take the time to learn how to use it properly, and over time, invest in better glass!

Just got my £50 cashback cheque from Canon for the 450D :)

It took about three weeks, and that over the crimbo season too.

I got my £50 cheque back today as well, sent it off on 1st December.

damnit, still waiting for mine! And i kinda need it after that 55-250 CC bill came through! haha! Hopefully this week!

I got my cashback a few days back yet I bought the camera back in November :eek: still it gave me an excuse for the newest addition - a Sigma 70-300 APO lens ... a bargain at £127.22 from Jessops. Roll on weekend then I can go for a wander with the camera :D

Hello guys, just signed up to the forum, and just today bought myself the 450d with the basic 18-55mm lens from warehouseexpress.com for £427 (£377 with the canon cashback!) and I've also got a polarizing filter and wide angle converter on the way!

I've found an 18-200mm lens from Tamron also for £155 which i thought looked pretty good.. and ive heard it'd be good to have the 50mm in my camera bag..?

I've been photographing for years now and have had the Konica Minolta Dimage A200 8mp 'bridge' type camera for 3years so thought it was time for a DSLR!

here is my flickr with my pics from that camera.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrtomcc/

Any advice on another lens and some 450' tips would be great to hear from you guys and some feedback from my flickr would be wicked too!

look forward to hearing back
cheers,
tom

The 18-200mm isn't a bad lens but you've already got a decent walkabout lens in the 18-55mm, why not increase your focal range with a 55-250 IS lens or similar, for the same kind of money - you'll notice the difference in quality. In my bag, I currently have a Sigma 17-70, a Canon 55-250 IS and a nifty fifty and I have no will to upgrade at the moment as I've got all the bases covered for my current photography skills. :)

got my first digital SLR today

caon 450 D
18-55 kit lens
Tamron lens 99 £ on offer
Lowpro AW 160
SAN DISC 4GB II

for 555£

What are these zoom lenses like from tamron/sigma for the money? I got the 55-250 mainly for the stabilsation! Which, so far, is proving very useful as i'm not steady with the camera yet!

i'm gutted, went to my parents house to get some nice pics of my nephew, and my camera bag got knocked off the table, smashing the uv filter on my 70-300 tammy, i checked the lens and found that it won't zoom :bang: and has a loose rattle in it now......am gutted

Got my 450D with kit lens from the Canon Outlet - will hopefully pick up a 55-250 today and that should do me for now...although I also have an itch to get an ultra-wide lens as well.

I'm off to Spain it two weeks so want to get as much practice in as possible before then...will be taking it to the protest march in London tomorrow for my first outing.

What modes do people tend to use?

Primarily Av, I did use Manual but found that I couldn't adjust the settings fast enough. I do sometimes switch to Tv if I'm needing a specific shutter speed for panning or to force it high enough for the birds under certain conditions. I use Manual for any nighttime or astro shots.

New member, new to DSLR - 450D with standard 18-55 IS kit lens.

So far I have managed to borrow a Canon 75-300 non IS which i struggled with as it was non IS and heavy. On full zoom, you need very stable hands (maybe it was the beers over christmas that gave me the shakes!!) and I also borrowed a 50mm F1.4 yesterday which i tried out last night.

Pretty impressed with the 50mm and got some great shots of the cat in low light conditions with no flash.

I must get round to reading the instruction manual - there is some very techy stuff on this site which means absolutely nada to me!!

More interested in macro photography so need some advice on what to get lens wise. Any help

yeah, with the kit lens being f4.0, i fancy the 50mm 1.8 to get those low light shots! I tend to use P at the mo. only just starting to mess about with Tv and Av!

I took delivery of a Sigma 17-70 f2.8 today as a direct replacement for the kit lens - the difference and improvement is amazing - put it this way, I doubt the 18-55 will be coming out of the camera bag again!

Well, the moon is out tonight! as well as a planet/space station. took some pics but the focus on the 55-250 struggles a bit. And sharpening it doesn't help. REALLY need a tripod for these kind of shots!

Edit: 450d FINALLY comes down in price! New low, £420 at Calumet Photographic. *** shipping costs a fiver! Saves you a whole quid ***! haha!

Picked up my 450D with 18-55 kit lens a few days back.

Still playing with my new toy and reading the manual.

Will i ever tire of taking indoor shoots without flash ..... :D

hope this isnt off topic but i've just read up on 'pushing' and wouldnt you be able to achieve the same result by setting the exposure compsation to -1 stop and then 'pushing' in photoshop?

(in fact i've done this before to keep the shutter up, before i knew it had a special name lol)

Yup you could. So if ISO is 1600 and you underexpose by one stop and then correct in photoshop, it's equivalent to ISO 3200. You could also underexpose by two stops, and push it up to ISO 6400.

Noise is probably terrible though.

I took delivery of a Sigma 17-70 f2.8 today as a direct replacement for the kit lens - the difference and improvement is amazing - put it this way, I doubt the 18-55 will be coming out of the camera bag again!

Is that the constant f/2.8? If so I'm jealous :p

Back