Calling All Pentax & Samsung Users!!!!!!!

I would tell them where to stick the order and get the lens elsewhere.

Probably take them a month to give me the refund :|
Since the order is in and paid for i'll give them until wednesday before I tell them to cancel and refund.

Hi all,
As I mentioned in another thread, I'm kinda returning to photography. I had realised that y lack of inspiration had ended up in me subconciously loosing touch with the photography world for a few months.

Blimey how it's all changed on the gear front!! No end of new lenses, and and seeminly Samsung moving away from the Pentax partnership? Have I got the right end of the stick there?

Owning the GX10 and, busting the Samsung version of the 360 flash, I started to look for a replacement, but they seem to be like gold dust! Looks like I'll have to go for the pentax branded one instead.

Anyway, though't I'd call in and say hi, as I've only posted here recently to sell my lens, and didn't want to be seen/thought to be taking the pee.

Rob

Hi Rob
Yeah Samsung decided it wanted to go the Mirrorless route so the GX20 was the last of the partnership cameras, and interestingly they seem to be a bit dearer used then the k20d when checked with SRS.

On a sidenote, still waiting on my 35mm, Park said it was shipped yesterday. This will be quite a boring saga by the time it arrives ;)

That's interesting, and a shame. Was a handy partnership that! Ah well. How do their new offerings stand up to the Market?

was picking up a Sony A290 now, just read up on the Pentax K-x and seriously considering it now..I know little about Pentax, I've had Sony Canon and Nikon but never a Pentax. What is the backwards compatibility with lenses like? I really am only interested in autofocus, so how far back do autofocus lenses for the pentax mount go back? i.e. is there much of a back catalogue? what is the general market pricing like? (I may look to a medium length telephoto in the future, for Sony the fabled Minolta 70-210mm f/4 'beercan' usually sells for about £120).
TIA

Last edited:
I seriously looked into Pentax before buying another A700 last year and found that the lens back catalogue was pretty extensive, similar to the Minolta range really, I'm keeping an eye out for something else now and I've actually been very tempted by the K7 now that its almost half the price it was a year ago.

one thing that concerns me is there doesn't seem to be the equivelent low cost nifty fifty for the Pentax range, the cheapest prime being the 35mm f/2.4, now..I like 35mm better than 50mm so thats cool, but £150...

one thing that concerns me is there doesn't seem to be the equivelent low cost nifty fifty for the Pentax range, the cheapest prime being the 35mm f/2.4, now..I like 35mm better than 50mm so thats cool, but £150...

I had read that the Pentax Prime lenses are meant to be very very good but I hadn't noticed the lack of a low cost fifty, really like the look of the K7 but not sure about its low light capabilities.

I had read that the Pentax Prime lenses are meant to be very very good but I hadn't noticed the lack of a low cost fifty, really like the look of the K7 but not sure about its low light capabilities.

oddly thats the thing which has drawn me to the K-x over the A290, apparently images are pretty noise free up to ISO800, something which the Sony wouldn't have a hope in achieving lol
Hmm yes bit of a shame, but there are it seems plenty of older pentax fit manual primes on ebay with focus spot confirmation

oddly thats the thing which has drawn me to the K-x over the A290, apparently images are pretty noise free up to ISO800, something which the Sony wouldn't have a hope in achieving lol
Hmm yes bit of a shame, but there are it seems plenty of older pentax fit manual primes on ebay with focus spot confirmation
look at this and compare the kx against the 7d and d300 and d7000 any you want really it hold its own http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM, built better than sony to, also the k7 is ok upto iso 1600 but does need nr, now the k5 is different and is probably the best crop camera on the market it has great iso, awsome buiud quality, and weather sealing, and the af is lot qicker than any other pentax before.

Last edited:
Well thats a K-x ordered for delivery tomorrow :D Park Cameras, £319.99 with free next day delivery. First time in the Pentax club ;) I've had Sony, Nikon, and Canon so here's to a new experience! Just had a look at prices of flash guns though.......*gulp*

Unfortunately Pentax don't have a cheap 50mm. If you don't mind MF then get the Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 for around £60 otherwise a used FA 50mm f1.4 will set you back around £200. I use the DA* 55mm f1.4 which is weathersealed and a beautiful lens .. but around £500.

The Pentax AF360 flash regularly comes up used for around £100 or look at the Metz 48

Unfortunately Pentax don't have a cheap 50mm. If you don't mind MF then get the Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 for around £60 otherwise a used FA 50mm f1.4 will set you back around £200. I use the DA* 55mm f1.4 which is weathersealed and a beautiful lens .. but around £500.

The Pentax AF360 flash regularly comes up used for around £100 or look at the Metz 48

thanks for the info :) in teh future I may look to pick up a 50mm MF then :) funny..a local charity shop has a raft of old pentax lenses, will pop there on Saturday and see what I can get, they're all like £5-£10 each!

Well thats a K-x ordered for delivery tomorrow :D Park Cameras, £319.99 with free next day delivery. First time in the Pentax club ;) I've had Sony, Nikon, and Canon so here's to a new experience! Just had a look at prices of flash guns though.......*gulp*

Congrats on the K-x order :)
Did you order some extras with that beyond the kit ??

Oh and let me know how delivery goes, It took Park 13 days since order date to get my order. But I do understand that isnt the norm.

SO yes, it has arrived, I now have an SMC DA 35mm f/2.4!!!!
And it really really is good, optical quality is really really great, and vastly noticable from my regular zooms when looked at, at full size.

I shall post an example image in the photos for pleasure area as its purely as a test shot I took the image.

And that's with it being used on a K100D.

As others have mentioned the K7 and noise at higher ISO's. I belive it isnt as bad as it has been made out, should be an improvement over the K100D's sensor I imagine (which was better for noise at 1600 then the K10D's afair)
My aim will be to move onto K7 during the course of this year hopefully.

Last edited:
Park were excellent, came indeed next day :D
Naa just the camera, I have a bag, rocket blower, SDHC card etc.

and nice one, glad you got your lens in the end. I just picked up it seems a BARGAIN and I'm so dead chuffed - just got a pentacon 135mm f/2.8...for...wait for it..£3!! from the local charity shop. Same ones selling on ebay for ~£50!

quite new here and about to ask my 1st sill question..

i bought a samsung nx5 , also known as the ghost as nobody has seen one !

I have read certain articles about swapping lenses with pentax, am i right to assume the NX range have a different fitment to the likes of the higher end samsung cameras?

I am finding the lack of a large telephoto making me switch sides unless i can find a larger lens that will fit my camera . I recently bought an interface from ebay to allow me to use canon lenses but it does'nt seem to work at the moment

I have read certain articles about swapping lenses with pentax, am i right to assume the NX range have a different fitment to the likes of the higher end samsung cameras?

I am finding the lack of a large telephoto making me switch sides unless i can find a larger lens that will fit my camera . I recently bought an interface from ebay to allow me to use canon lenses but it does'nt seem to work at the moment

i believe the nx uses micro four thirds lenses(could be wrong)nx10 does. which you can get from here.
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/g/7/Camera-Lenses.html

Last edited:
Hey all,

Timmy, enjoy your K-x mate. And luck you with the charity shop, that is Jammy!!

ha tell me about it!! exact same lens sold on ebay earlier for..£95!
it's because it's considered legendary for its bokeh, not suprised, look at the 15 aperture blade beauty!
1295221487.jpg

thats mine, you can just make me and my K-x out in the reflection ;)

From what I know of the NX range, they have their own mount called NX Mount which is not compatable with M4/3rd.

ALthough I think there maybe adaptors to use M4/3 or K mount.

But thing is with the NX range, they use APS-C sensors and not micro sensors so an m4/3 lens probably wouldnt work well on it.

Woo, just picked up an SF7 film SLR for silly money on ebay. Going to stick my fa50mm on it and use it as a "throw in the bag" camera.

'nother bargain received. Pentax ME Super with a Pentax-M SMC 50mm f/1.7...£27 :D
ebay auction this time, the picture was poor but you could just make out 1:1.7 on the lens so I thought go for it - it was £26 with 10 mins left, I bid £27 max thinking naa won't win, I did!
Looks pretty neat - case is banged up and the attached skylight filter is naff but the lens itself is excellent condition and the Super ME is pretty good for its age. Not sure if I'll use the super, may stick a roll in and see what results I get

wowow the 50mm is awsome on the K-x. I haven't had chance for a proper play, I just took this very quickly
woojy.jpg

not very interesting granted but its ISO800 and 1/25sec (!) and f/2.0! can't wait to get a proper go with this

I have k10 and have really enjoyed using it, but now feel I want to move on and was looking at something like canon eos 550, or Nikon as they seem to be the two brands people use and easy to get second hand lens etc. BUT I have got a couple of lenses that I use with k10 and it would mean changing everything and starting again. It is a expensive hobby I know!!!! someone has suggested to me that I get a k7 or 5 as they are good spec for the prices and it would also mean I can use my other lenses, but I don't know if it is the right move or not. Would love some opinions...

I moved from the K10D to the K-7 and now the K-5.

The difference really is like night and day in every respect, but then it should be really as there is a 3/4 year gap between the cameras.

Bit like comparing the 350D and 550D really.

As for lenses, never had a problem finding used glass .. probably 90% of mine were bought second hand, infact I think only the DA* 55mm f1.4 and DA* 60-250mm f4 were bought new.

Go try a 550D and a K-7/K-5 and see which you prefer though, the lenses you presently use can no doubt be sold on if need be.

Thank you Mike/Fred...I am going to do that...I like the fact the k7 is weather proof, especially here on the isle of man ..lol ...then I think there is not much difference in the prices of K5 and K7, do you think its worth paying the extra for the k5 at this stage? do you wish you had gone straight to k5?

Thank you Mike/Fred...I am going to do that...I like the fact the k7 is weather proof, especially here on the isle of man ..lol ...then I think there is not much difference in the prices of K5 and K7, do you think its worth paying the extra for the k5 at this stage? do you wish you had gone straight to k5?

I've spent a lot of time looking into the Pentax system and in the end have plumped for a used K20D due to cash constraints (spend cash on glass instead!) but I would buy the K5, everything I've seen suggests that its a better camera than the K7, especially if there isnt a huge price difference and from reviews / opinions I've read the K5 is up there with anything similar from Nikon or Canon + you get to keep your lenses.

It depends on what type of photography you like to do.

K-7 is quite a leap over the K10D and is better in every respect but the K-5 is really quite impressive, it has actually stopped my from buying a Canon 7D.

If you want to photograph the TT races (boy would I love to do that one day) then the faster AF of the K-5 would be better. It also has superior ISO performance and exceptional dynamic range.

I thought the K-7 was a superb camera, only let down by it's average ISO performance but I wanted the K-5 for the better AF and to me it was worth the extra but apart from that I was more than happy with the K-7.

The only thing that let's Pentax down now is the lack of long lenses, Sigma make them but it would be nice if we had our own brand .. saying that it's nice to have every lens stabilised.

Thank you Mike and Chris, you have been very helpful..can't wait to play with my new toy..:)

about to purchase a k-5 but want some feedback how the af compares to the competitors , nikon d7000 and canon 60d.

Pentax owner here, started with ME super then LX, ist DS now K10, thinking of saving for a K5.

Well I think I have made a boo boo...I bought a pentax -m 1:2 50mm k mount for my k10 (soon upgrading to K7) and although it fits the camera it doesnt work. Am I wrong in thinking that k mount lenses are for k pentax's? It was only £15 but don't want to make the same mistake again.
Got it off eBay yesterday, should I send it back or am I doing something wrong..probably the latter..Help anyone?

Back