Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the A900, Stan?

Not fancy it?? ;)

aye,i do..but it's far more that i can afford at the moment(plus it would be wasted on me),and as fabs says...my missus wouldn't fall for the soft furnishings chestnut..damn :bang::LOL:

it's gonna be the A700 methinks...plus i do more wildlife and hope to do more sports,so the cropped sensor makes more sense,especially with the lack of big primes in the sony range at the moment ;)

Now here's a thing:

I've just been fiddling about with my A200, with Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 macro lens attached

According to the info on the lens, minimum focussing distance for macro is 0.2 metres. Well I focussed on some numbers on another of my lenses (like you do), and the glass on the 17-70 was almost touching the other lens! And it was in sharp focus!! :eek:

Just shows you, doesn't it? Don't believe everything you read.........

Now here's a thing:

I've just been fiddling about with my A200, with Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 macro lens attached

According to the info on the lens, minimum focussing distance for macro is 0.2 metres. Well I focussed on some numbers on another of my lenses (like you do), and the glass on the 17-70 was almost touching the other lens! And it was in sharp focus!! :eek:

Just shows you, doesn't it? Don't believe everything you read.........

yep,i found my 17-70 to be the same (y)

markydesad...you will of course need to get the 70-200 to complement the A700 :rules:

So how much commission are you on Stan? :cautious: Actually, I met a guy last week who did some photography work for Sony (Right place, right time) and they paid him in kit, including the 70-200 f2.8 G!! :eek:

stan, me old sausage, I already have the 70-300mm (y)

I'm just waiting for Sigma to announce the 10-1000 f2.8

Now THAT will be a lens to have!!!! :eek::eek::love:

You'd need a flat bed lorry to carry it around! Only lens you'd ever need though! :LOL:

So Andy what are your ideas on a new camera? :woot:

Sadly, I think it will either be a Canon 40D or Nikon D90 (Get's ready for the :bat:)

Both have good and bad points, obviously, but I'm not sure which one to go for.
Had another good play today with both, and they both seem to suit my needs.
While I've enjoyed the a300, I think I've come to the end of the Sony road, with not much more additions (ie LENSES!!) to work and save hard for.

The Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G is and always will be well out of my league.
And as stan kindly pointed out recently, there is a Sigma version available.
But I've always lusted over a Canon L lens, like the 70-200mm F4, which would suit me down to the ground because of it's great price and superb IQ.

That lens along with the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or similar would just about make up my kit.
And this idea is completely feasible in the next year or so......

Think you just answered your own question.

Yes, indeed!!!!!
I have kinda set my heart on the 40D now, although after my crappy 400D I swore I'd never touch another Canon :eek:

Whatever camera you get you must come and see us Sony users :D

Most certainley. There's many a good chap on the Sony front, and I will miss the old Sony thread allot :crying:

Sadly, I think it will either be a Canon 40D or Nikon D90 (Get's ready for the :bat:)

Mmmm...sadly I've just gone down that route for the same reasons. Spent circa £1200 on a 40D, Grip, Flash, Lens etc and used it once at the NEC Bike Show last Sunday...just soooo disappointed with the results that I'm pleased I kept the Sony kit.
Mind you I'm new to all this DSLR stuff, so it's probably due to my inexperience, but the quality of pics from the A350 are far superior to what I managed with the canon...mind you, I couldn't fault the build quality.

Got an xmas party next weekend and I know which camera will be left at home.

Sooo, where do I go from here?

Well, the A700 looks like a favourable upgrade and the new HVL-F58AM flash with the rotatable head could be a nice addition...and my original plan for the 70-200 2.8 - so if anyone wants a kit swap - will I ever learn? :bonk:

Just wish the A700 had the tilting screen, so handy for low level shots.

Anyway, Stan - hope this waffle hasn't put you off, sure it will do what it is supposed to in your capable hands (y)

Mmmm...sadly I've just gone down that route for the same reasons. Spent circa £1200 on a 40D, Grip, Flash, Lens etc and used it once at the NEC Bike Show last Sunday...just soooo disappointed with the results that I'm pleased I kept the Sony kit.
Mind you I'm new to all this DSLR stuff, so it's probably due to my inexperience, but the quality of pics from the A350 are far superior to what I managed with the canon...mind you, I couldn't fault the build quality.

Got an xmas party next weekend and I know which camera will be left at home.

Sooo, where do I go from here?

Well, the A700 looks like a favourable upgrade and the new HVL-F58AM flash with the rotatable head could be a nice addition...and my original plan for the 70-200 2.8 - so if anyone wants a kit swap - will I ever learn? :bonk:

Just wish the A700 had the tilting screen, so handy for low level shots.

Anyway, Stan - hope this waffle hasn't put you off, sure it will do what it is supposed to in your capable hands (y)

Disappointed :eek:
Oh crap, I didn't want to hear that!!

Can I ask what lens/lens's you use with the 40D?

Can I ask what lens/lens's you use with the 40D?

Hi Andy,

only bought the 40D body so no Canon lens to try unfortunately.

Was using it with the Sigma 24-70 1:2.8 EX DG Macro.

Wonder if it's worth borrowing a Canon lens to try on the 40D before it goes the distance?

Mate is using the same lens on a 5D with similar poor quality...lens problem maybe? :shrug:

Hi Andy,

only bought the 40D body so no Canon lens to try unfortunately.

Was using it with the Sigma 24-70 1:2.8 EX DG Macro.

Wonder if it's worth borrowing a Canon lens to try on the 40D before it goes the distance?

Mate is using the same lens on a 5D with similar poor quality...lens problem maybe? :shrug:

Wouldn't have thought it was the lens. I use it on my A700 with no problems at all, it's a highly regarded lens.

Wouldn't have thought it was the lens. I use it on my A700 with no problems at all, it's a highly regarded lens.

Back to operator error then :LOL:

Come on then...own up, who bought it? - £803, nice xmas box for someone!

Knew I should've put a bid in :bonk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back