Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
it reduces the chance of camera shake whilst taking an image,but i for one cannot see any difference between 2 images i've shot...from my A100(with MLU)and my A350(without MLU).

as regards to DOFP,i never used mine,or could understand how it worked :bonk:

Ah that'll be why then.

Didn't know the a100 had MLU, never used it as a feature when I had the a100, probably because I couldn't find it :thinking:

As regards the DOFP, i was never sure what it was all about either :LOL:

Hahaha! glad to hear it! sorry to confuse everyone! I must say my mate is a canon fan, and is trying to push all his 450d knowledge on me! He runs at the sound of wireless flash and instant autofocus liveview!

received my battery grip today for the a200:D man, does it make the camera look like a mean machine:LOL:..... looks like a proper camera now, and feels alot better!!
ready now for the 70-200G.....:naughty:

received my battery grip today for the a200:D man, does it make the camera look like a mean machine:LOL:..... looks like a proper camera now, and feels alot better!!
ready now for the 70-200G.....:naughty:

You should see how big the A700 looks with a grip! :D

Haha! maybe when i start to love the a300 i'll get a battery grip! They do look funky! *** i'll NEVER afford a flash lens for these things!

OOh, take a pic of the a200 with grip! i wanna see its meanness!

marc and stan, could u check out my help post in the photography bit above....... needing advice:D

marc and stan, could u check out my help post in the photography bit above....... needing advice:D

i think marc is best answering your question as i've very little experience using flash,although i will say if you need to use flash,stay well away from the onboard one as it's the best way to ruin shots there is...;)

i'm getting the HVL-F42AM to replace my HVL-F36AM i sold just this week...it might be up to the job you need it for (y)

cheers stan, i didnt want to use the onboard flash... aper usual they r crap:razz:
im still hunting for a flash, hopefully local jessops have them instock:LOL:

cheers stan, i didnt want to use the onboard flash... aper usual they r crap:razz:

Did come in handy for tonight though. We had a studio set up at camera club and was able to use the pop up flash on my camera to trigger the studio flashes.

Did come in handy for tonight though. We had a studio set up at camera club and was able to use the pop up flash on my camera to trigger the studio flashes.

yeah,i used mine for that purpose as well when i did a studio shoot with my local camera club earlier this year.there is a gadget you can buy to fit into the flash shoe that sets off the studio flash/lights.i found that my pop up flash was casting a shadow on the background..i was probably to close to the subject or summat :bonk:.

if you can find a jacobs local to you,they are selling the 42 for £99.99p including cash back from sony...bargain!

yeah,i used mine for that purpose as well when i did a studio shoot with my local camera club earlier this year.there is a gadget you can buy to fit into the flash shoe that sets off the studio flash/lights.i found that my pop up flash was casting a shadow on the background..i was probably to close to the subject or summat :bonk:.

if you can find a jacobs local to you,they are selling the 42 for £99.99p including cash back from sony...bargain!

Unfortunately you need a hotshoe adapter to use the remote triggers as the Sony/Minolta hotshoe is different to the others.

£99.99 for the HVL42 is a bargain! (y)

I use my pop up flash to activate either my HVL56 flash unit when in 'off camera' wireless mode, or indeed for operating my two studio lights, they can either be used with a remote wire command or as I say by detecting the flash on the camera. I turn the camera flash down low so not to cast its own light onto the subject.

I bought one of the £299 studios in a box efforts from Jessops last year. I don't use it too often though due to space limitation in the house.

just looked on jacobs site, the 42 is out of stock, but jessops have it for 169? worth it? i need it for saturday:LOL:
and marc, is the "wee cover thing" u use, worth getting?

just looked on jacobs site, the 42 is out of stock, but jessops have it for 169? worth it? i need it for saturday:LOL:
and marc, is the "wee cover thing" u use, worth getting?

Wee cover thing?? You mean the diffuser? :LOL: Yes, I think so. I use it all the time indoors.

thats the 1:LOL: okey doke, better get searching now then.
cheers for all the help:D

Here it is for £139.99. I have bought both my flashguns from tghem (+ my 70-200 f2.8) and couldn't recommend them highly enough. If you order it tomorrow, you should get it Friday. They've never let me down yet.

holy cow! hoping to get a300/a350 cheap in the sales after xmas (but fore 31st dec so i can get cashback!). might be worth getting the battery now!

the 42 flash is on back order with jacobs. apparently 10 days lead time. So still time to buy it cheap!

Is it worth getting the camera from jacobs? They don't do a300, but they offer 2 year warranty on SLR's if you join their club.

got my flash this morning, from local jessops, was abit more expensive, but i got it there n then.... sto-fen ordered aswell, will have it 2moro:D
need to save back up again for the 70-200 coming back in again:LOL:

got my flash this morning, from local jessops, was abit more expensive, but i got it there n then.... sto-fen ordered aswell, will have it 2moro:D

(y)

which flash did you get?

getting my 42 next tuesday while i'm in london from cameraworld..they've had to get it from their chelmsford store as they'd sold them all in their wells st branch.

got the 42, just need to learn how to use it:LOL:
marc, is it best choosing manual settings on the flash, or auto?

got the 42, just need to learn how to use it:LOL:
marc, is it best choosing manual settings on the flash, or auto?

Always best to use manual on camera AND flashgun in my experience. I've always found that, in a darkish room, TTL doesn't quite give the power. Lots and lots of practice and experimenting and you will quickly find the right settings.

Is that right? it says on there that the battery is for all the Alpha range, including the A100, I thought the A100 couldn't take the same battery as the newer models?

Tis very true. The newer ones calculate the remaining power in % whereas the A100 ones couldn't. I would be cautious about buying one for an A100.

you can use the battery with the A100,as i did before i got the A350,but it won't give you the charge remaining in %,just the usual bars.

(y)

Now you mention it, yes, you can use it in the A100. You can't use the A100 battery in the newer cameras though.

ALL,

I am a new recruit here.from west london..

Just bought a new A300 today :):):)

So will trouble you all with some questions as and when ...

Great to join you all

cheers

ajex

ALL,

I am a new recruit here.from west london..

Just bought a new A300 today :):):)

So will trouble you all with some questions as and when ...

Great to join you all

cheers

ajex

Hiya Ajex :wave:
Welcome to the forum!

And a good choice of camera's ;)

Fire away with your questions mate, there's plenty of experience here!

Hi,

Need a recomendation on A300 detailed guide...

Any comments on earlier recommended...

The Complete Guide to Sony's Alpha 300 and 350 Digital SLR Cameras by Gary Friedman!

Any other hard print options...

cheers

Ajex

Hi,

Need a recomendation on A300 detailed guide...

Any comments on earlier recommended...

The Complete Guide to Sony's Alpha 300 and 350 Digital SLR Cameras by Gary Friedman!

Any other hard print options...

cheers

Ajex

the gary friedman books are very good..i have one for the A100,and a lot of whats in there is good for the A350 too...

there is another range of books,but i can't remember what they're called though :bonk:

Hi ajex welcome to the Alpha team :) I have the Gary Friedman pdf book which is a top buy imo there is a hardback printed version which is £75+ iirc

I am still shooting with the 18 - 70 kt lens and to be honest its a great little lens to learn how all the systems work on my a200. However, I would like to consider a lens with a little more reach and possible macro thrown in. I have been looking at a Sigma APO 70 - 300 as this is probably just within my budget, but I have heard some horror stories about the a200 stripping the AF gearing in this lens. Has anyone got one of these and how true are the stories? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back