Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought that Tamron a week ago and think it is excellent, especially at that price.

Just bought an a200 with 18-70 kit lens hoping that I now don't have to roll one trouser leg up etc whilst on the forum! Looking at adding to the lens in the summer with a longer range one but probably can't afford the Sony lenses. Had a quick play very impressed.

Paul

hoping that I now don't have to roll one trouser leg up etc whilst on the forum!

Paul

No that is the Canikon users, right leg for Canon, left for Nikon. Sony users are quite normal. :bonk::p:nuts::whistle:

I was looking for a Beercan but the prices on Ebay are getting a bit silly, £150+ seems a bit steep.
Would I be as well getting one of the newer Minolta 75-300mm lenses? Its just they seem a lot cheaper, ideally I want to get a zoom lens, a mini beercan and maybe a 50mm prime, but I feel that I could save a lot by buying something other than a beercan for a zoom lens.

just got my quarterly copy of Photoworld which includes a brief review of the Tamron 55-200mm - in short "Putting it simply, this little lens is possibly the best tele zoom we have used in the 200mm range. It can be recommended without hesitation as a second lens if you own a camera with the 18-70mm, it even shares the 55mm filter size."

I think that it was £59 the other day so it's creeping up.
Bearing in mind that all the other brands are going up substantially due to exchange rate shifts I'm sure that Tamron will be following so expect prices to stay down only as long as there is existing stock bought in previously.

of course if you have a credit card buy now & pay off your card in 6 weeks or whatever.

You have proberbly been here before but i'll ask anyway seeing as a certain Jessups branch (Cough Cough splutter) didnt seem to know or wanna know.

I wanna get a shoe fitting flash for the A300 I know it has to be a sony one to make the right contacts but ive seen different model numbers, is that to fit certain models - or an upgrade or a lumesance output variation

I think that it was £59 the other day so it's creeping up.
Bearing in mind that all the other brands are going up substantially due to exchange rate shifts I'm sure that Tamron will be following so expect prices to stay down only as long as there is existing stock bought in previously.

of course if you have a credit card buy now & pay off your card in 6 weeks or whatever.

Cheers mate, I would put it onto my credit card but its still creaking after Christmas!!!
I will hold off even if its £80 in 2 weeks it would still be worth it,

Chris

Leaky,

How do you find the Sigma 70-300mm APO - I've heard good things about image quality but some concerns over build quality......

Mine is an older model, built in the mid 90's. Built like a tank and I don't think if suffers from the same problems as the newer ones. Also was built for FF 35mm cameras.
I am very pleased with it, managed to pick it up off Ebay last spring for £46.

Mine is an older model, built in the mid 90's. Built like a tank and I don't think if suffers from the same problems as the newer ones. Also was built for FF 35mm cameras.
I am very pleased with it, managed to pick it up off Ebay last spring for £46.

Cheers Leaky,

I've seen the new one but yeah I have heard that some people have had issues with the Sigma, something to do with the higher powered motor on the new Alphas.

First pics with my new toy. First pic of starlings taken through double glazing and cropped

Second one is of the dog

Just need a day of work to go outside and play but on till Saturday ( got A200 on Friday and on for 7 days!)

Be Kind
Paul(y)

Anyone had a go of the A900 yet? I don't intend to upgrade to one as the ISO still seems to be an issue that needs sorting. Apart from that, what do you think of the machine in general, I know most of the magazine reviews seem to give it about 8/10 but still say that it's not as good as it could have been.

Hey guys what you think to my first snow shot using my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Got up at 6:30am this morning and this was the view out of my window
DSC01363.jpg

Anyone had a go of the A900 yet? I don't intend to upgrade to one as the ISO still seems to be an issue that needs sorting. Apart from that, what do you think of the machine in general, I know most of the magazine reviews seem to give it about 8/10 but still say that it's not as good as it could have been.

I've had the A900 for a month after using the A700 for 6 months. The magazine reviews don't do it justice. It's a far better camera than it gets credit for. Check out the real world reviews from sites like Luminous Landscapes http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/A900-Second-Opinion.shtml

The image quality is astounding. The only thing I have against it is that I had to upgrade my glass to get the full benefit (another £2,500 gone) but the results using Zeiss and G glass are well worth the expenditure.

I regularly shoot at ISO800 and at 25% print size you cannot see any noise. At ISO1600 you can see a bit of noise but you REALLY have to be looking for it. Nothing Neat Image or Noise Ninja won't cure.

I'm confident Sony will get the 'noise issue' sorted with a firmware release, as they did with the A700 V4 firmware.

On the other hand many working photographers seem to rate it highly for what it is at least for landscape etc. usage upto ~800ISO e.g. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/quality-vs-value.shtml.
Sure, it's not all things to all men but I don't think that exists in any body yet.

I too read all the reviews I could find on the a900. I was a little hesitant because of some of the reports but bought one anyway. Despite the plethora of reports on any camera the only way to really know is to own one. It is a great camera and does all and more than I need to the point where I was no longer using the a700 so sold it.

Good to see some users on here with experience of the A900. I'm sure it is a great machine but when the magazines always compare against the likes of the D3 and 1Ds MK III etc etc then they will (nearly) always favour the main two makes.

but the D3 & the IDs MkIII aren't really the A900s intended targets - the 5DMkII is probably the closest & if Nikon bring out (as rumoured) a D700X with the same sensor so would that be.
What I've taken from all the reviews is that they are all slightly differenly focused & all have their strengths & weaknesses & you choose what suits your needs best. It's been very interesting to see quite a few pros being willing to go multi-system to exploit this.

I`ve just checked my work email and there are parcels in work for me :D

Unfortunately I`m not in work till tonight so cant get my lenses till then :(

The wait sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back