Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 5)

is there anyway i can delete all the photos on my memory card in one go on an A350 or do i have to do one at a time?

i fixed a minolta lens that would not AF, after taking it apart the contacts on the zoom ring were dirty, i used a fibre glass pen and cleaned them up, it worked perfect until i spotted a part i didnt put back in, then i ripped the flippin ribbon cable and tossed it in the bin :(

i fixed a minolta lens that would not AF, after taking it apart the contacts on the zoom ring were dirty, i used a fibre glass pen and cleaned them up, it worked perfect until i spotted a part i didnt put back in, then i ripped the flippin ribbon cable and tossed it in the bin :(

If there is an opportunity to send it back - I will :)
every case is different + haven't bothered to find a good screwdriver.
I'll have a go on my tokina once I get the tools for the job.

Well my brand new Sony A900 arrived today.. except that it wasn't brand new and covered with stock return code labels and used. Also missing the battery! (which I only spotted after phoning up to complain about being send a used item for new)

Anyhow.. they offered a 20% refund and even thought they admitted a warehouse error and sending me a used item they are given me 12 months warranty on it. So I've gone for it with fingers crossed....

hmm 20% sounds fair enough ! :)

p.s. cleaned the chip on the 50mm, now seems to be working again. but for how long :(

is there anyway i can delete all the photos on my memory card in one go on an A350 or do i have to do one at a time?

Assuming it's the same as the A200 and A700, the way I delete all is
1) View 1 image
2) Select multiple thumbnails ('grid' view).
3) To the left of the grid is a vertical bar - use the multi-select to select that.
4) Press Delete (trash can button)
5) A confirmation to delete the folder will appear - in fact, it does not delete the folder, but just the contents.
Job Done.

Assuming it's the same as the A200 and A700, the way I delete all is
1) View 1 image
2) Select multiple thumbnails ('grid' view).
3) To the left of the grid is a vertical bar - use the multi-select to select that.
4) Press Delete (trash can button)
5) A confirmation to delete the folder will appear - in fact, it does not delete the folder, but just the contents.
Job Done.

Or just reformat the card?

checked the 50mm today . not working again . sent email to the seller about returning whole bunch . how many days do I have to raise a dispute if he doesn't reply etc ?

thanks,
D.

guys !

He offered a refund. do I get any postage fees etc back ? or I loose his and my postage ?

cheers,
D.

You'll have to pay return postage generally. A decent seller would refund you both ways but you might have to right off the return postage.

but if he doesn't do I have rights to protest ? e.g. is there a point ? the postage is about 10% of the whole sum, I don't want to lose it because of a dodgy lens.

Unless he's a trader I don't think he has to refund you any postage. If you were buying from a shop then they are legally obliged to refund the cost of posting the item to you in the first place (although many don't) but it is your liability for the cost of returning the item. It might seem unfair but it's one of the risks you have to accept with shopping online.

That's down to him, only he can tell you that.

he says, he still has people sending mail about the minolta, lol. he said that he is going to refund everything. hope he keeps the word.

Well my brand new Sony A900 arrived today.. except that it wasn't brand new and covered with stock return code labels and used. Also missing the battery! (which I only spotted after phoning up to complain about being send a used item for new)

Anyhow.. they offered a 20% refund and even thought they admitted a warehouse error and sending me a used item they are given me 12 months warranty on it. So I've gone for it with fingers crossed....

Did this come from techfurb by any chance?

ive got one coming this week too if it is..although mine was a bargain( thank you work for once!)

just sent my wedding images to the company i work for and iv been told they are too grainy?

i like the grain in the images and its not like i was shooting at high iso... she said if the couple want massive prints (what are the chances with budget wedding?) that they wont print well which i think is complete bull.

not a happy bunny just now and tempted to either tell her to stick it or get myself a nikon and just go along with it.

tell her to take out the magnifiying glass out of the eye ! :D

first of all it's noise ffs.

people are weird though.

thats what i was thinking, but never had any issues with my 5d?!

i love the camera and the glass i have is also pretty damn good. any other a850 or a900 users here got anything to say???

i think she means the noise looks like film grain which it does but i really like it.

Ask her at what size she has printed and noticed the "grain". I'd put money on the fact she is pixel peeping and they wouldn't be noticeable in the print. Alternatively tell her it's your style and you're not going to give up your artistic integrity for anybody.

That's what i think kev, i mean i havn't had anything printed from it yet but going to get a few 18 x 12's, usually the biggest i ever print at and see how noticeable it really is!

The pictures that i did post got some positive feedback on here so i don't think that they are that bad otherwise someone would definitely have said so.

just sent my wedding images to the company i work for and iv been told they are too grainy?

i like the grain in the images and its not like i was shooting at high iso... she said if the couple want massive prints (what are the chances with budget wedding?) that they wont print well which i think is complete bull.

not a happy bunny just now and tempted to either tell her to stick it or get myself a nikon and just go along with it.

Did you send them jpegs straight out of the camera or processed raw files, and if raw what did you process them with?

To be fair it's difficult to tell noise at 800px unless the exposure has been royally screwed up but I think she might be being a bit pedantic. Tell her politely that if the B&G complain you'll do something about it otherwise it's her problem.

Did you send them jpegs straight out of the camera or processed raw files, and if raw what did you process them with?

I shoot RAW even though they prefer jpegs, I did slight adjustments as per usual, and then sent them as full size jpegs.

All done in Lightroom.

thats what i was thinking, but never had any issues with my 5d?!

i love the camera and the glass i have is also pretty damn good. any other a850 or a900 users here got anything to say???

i think she means the noise looks like film grain which it does but i really like it.

+1 what other said what you should do ..

about the grain look . yes sony/nikon does produce it.
I have nothing against canon, but I totally don't like how noise looks from canon sensor. she's just probably used to seeing something different.

Well that's the thing, she shoots with a canon 5d, and I know almost every other photographer who works for her also shoots with a canon 5d or canon 50d in some cases.

I'l ask my friend, he has started assisting and shoots with a nikon d3 to see if he has had any complaints about the 'grain'.

I shoot RAW even though they prefer jpegs, I did slight adjustments as per usual, and then sent them as full size jpegs.

All done in Lightroom.

I'm sure you know this already but didn't older versions of LR handle Sony files badly?

I use DXO and recently got a night scene taken at 1600 printed to 20x30 and even with a magnifying glass there is no noise.. it was printed from a 170MB tiff.

+1 for looking at a LR problem. If you go back through the Sony thread Part4 I'm sure there is more than one post from Andy about how badly LR handles Sony files.

It does? I'm on lightroom 2, is 3 any better? What do other people use? I use lightroom for most of my processing too :-(

Seriously dude, nobody knows more about this around here than Andy in my opinion. Do a search in the last thread for lightroom and see what alternative he recommends, then download a trial and see if you think it makes a difference.

I don't know about files from your camera but LR does some horrible things to the red channel on my A700 files.

It does? I'm on lightroom 2, is 3 any better? What do other people use? I use lightroom for most of my processing too :-(

LR 3 in my opinion is light years ahead of LR 2 in terms of noise handling. Most colour noise issue is handled by a quick move on the slider. The luminance noise engine is a revelation- it can make a sony file look very similar to canon - i.e. the more reduction applied, the more the detailed will be smeared- but overall giving a smooth clean output (be careful of plastic looking skin!)

Thanks kev, I will pm him when I can! Surely the grain/noise issue is not down to this though???

From what she said it wasn't the noise but the way the photo looked when zoomed in had grain. Is this due to LR? What dies everyone else use to import and edit???

Thanks kev, I will pm him when I can! Surely the grain/noise issue is not down to this though???

It could be. All RAW processors use different algorithms so they all process the RAW data slightly differently. From Andy's experience LR2 doesn't process his Sony files as well as some other RAW processors do. Perhaps it's worth trying out LR3 trial as well as some others if it makes the difference that Evo suggested.

Back