Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 5)

i expect within the next 2 weeks, i am wanting to hold one to see if i can cope with something smaller than the a450 i have

From what she said it wasn't the noise but the way the photo looked when zoomed in had grain. Is this due to LR? What dies everyone else use to import and edit???

Dave, if you want. You can ping over a raw file and I can run it through LR3 too see if the NR addresses the 'grain' issue.

It does? I'm on lightroom 2, is 3 any better? What do other people use? I use lightroom for most of my processing too :-(

Earlier versions of Lightroom and Camera Raw did not handle Sony files well at all..hence the (unfair) bad noise rep. All the reviews used ACR to "level" the playing field with other cameras.. but unfortunately due to the issue with ACR this tilted the playing field instead!

Capture One 5..and Lightroom 3 fixed this... new de-bayer algorithsm where rolled out this year.

Good source is here:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2010/08/19/acr-6-2-2010-process-huge-improvement/

Also a a general principle.. you need to make sure your in-camera Zone setting is set to -1, a setting of 0 causes a 1/3 stop underexposure in metering. 0 is the default as well..bad choice.

Also a a general principle.. you need to make sure your in-camera Zone setting is set to -1, a setting of 0 causes a 1/3 stop underexposure in metering. 0 is the default as well..bad choice.

How do you do this on the A700? Do you mean just setting the exposure compensation to -1?

How do you do this on the A700? Do you mean just setting the exposure compensation to -1?

In my A900 there is a setting Creative Style, under which is another one called "Zone" which is set to 0 by default. 0 biases the meter 1/3rd of a stop under. Coupled with Lightrooms default 0.7EV push and you can end up with a noise situation easily.

I can't remember if the A700 has it.. I think it does... I've owned a couple of A700's but barely used them tbh!

I've tried this and it's good advice, makes a big difference. :)

In my A900 there is a setting Creative Style, under which is another one called "Zone" which is set to 0 by default. 0 biases the meter 1/3rd of a stop under. Coupled with Lightrooms default 0.7EV push and you can end up with a noise situation easily.

I can't remember if the A700 has it.. I think it does... I've owned a couple of A700's but barely used them tbh!

Thanks, It does indeed have it. I've just set the creative style to Landscape and set the zone to -1. To be honest I always thought creative styles where only useful for JPG's and so kept it on standard, but i'll give it a go!

Thanks, It does indeed have it. I've just set the creative style to Landscape and set the zone to -1. To be honest I always thought creative styles where only useful for JPG's and so kept it on standard, but i'll give it a go!

Zone biased the metering, so this will naturally impact the raw image as well.

Cheers....well I'll leave it on landscape then and give it a go to see how it goes on my next outing!

That works for me - you do need to keep an eye on the highlights a tad more, but I find the A900 has excellent dynamic range, so this isn't a problem generally.

I shoot my A900s in Standard: -, 0, 0, -1, -1

The default setting biases the A900 towards underexposure. My settings fix that.

Here are my settings compared to a Nikon D700 (A900 on the right)

zeiss1635-nikon1735-1.jpg

zeiss1635-nikon1735-3.jpg

zeiss1635-nikon1735-5.jpg

That works for me - you do need to keep an eye on the highlights a tad more, but I find the A900 has excellent dynamic range, so this isn't a problem generally.

I shoot my A900s in Standard: -, 0, 0, -1, -1

The default setting biases the A900 towards underexposure. My settings fix that.

Here are my settings compared to a Nikon D700 (A900 on the right)

zeiss1635-nikon1735-1.jpg

zeiss1635-nikon1735-3.jpg

zeiss1635-nikon1735-5.jpg

I see the difference now...the standard setting on the a700 doesn't allow you to change the zone :)

What does 'zone' do? I never figured it out on the a700 either so left well alone.

What does 'zone' do? I never figured it out on the a700 either so left well alone.

Well on the A900 it seems basically to be a "highlight priority" setting, which really just biases the metering with -1/3EV (or 0.5 EV if you have it set to those increments)

I suspect this setting (which is a default) is the reason some reviewers comment the A900 has a tendancy to underexpose.

I find the A900's metering absolutely spot on with "Zone" set to -1.

Just a quickie for the 700 users, I have recently started to use the histogram on my A700 and just wondered is it possible to get just the one exposure histo instead of the RGB as I find the resulting picture so small in any sort of light i cant see any "blinkys" with it as it is. Ian

Hi All Sony users.
Is anyone using a Sigma 70-300 APO DG on a A700 ?

I seem to find the pics are not sharp at all at the 2-300 end even on a tripod.
What would be the reason with that, I seem to remember them being ok on my A200.
Cheers

Cheers....well I'll leave it on landscape then and give it a go to see how it goes on my next outing!

Can change the zone setting on Portrait and Vivid but not on Landscape ?

how do you turn on the histogram on the A700, I cant find it and also how do I check my firmware?

Press the C button when in playback mode.

Firmware should be buried in the menu system somewhere, can't remember where, if you can't find it I'll grab my camera later and have a gander.

Just to note using a histogram when shooting RAW won't be truly accurate as its basing its data off the JPG data.

Firmware : press and hold the menu button, then press the disp button as well.

Just a quickie for the 700 users, I have recently started to use the histogram on my A700 and just wondered is it possible to get just the one exposure histo instead of the RGB as I find the resulting picture so small in any sort of light i cant see any "blinkys" with it as it is. Ian

Hi Richo, no I don't believe there is a way have just the exposure, or having it full screen - anyone else found a setting we're missing (I've been looking for the past year!)

With going full frame my 16-80 needs replacing, for wide-end coverage, as the widest FF lens I own is a 35mm prime.

I'm dithering about getting a ZA 24-70 at the moment. Mainly because I have 35,50 and 85mm primes so am wondering if a s/h Minolta 24/2.8 would be a cheaper option to give me the focal length coverage with hopefully minimal IQ implications. Albeit with the trade-off of needing to swap lenses more often.

Thoughts, other options?

only if you're ok with the field of view the 50mm gives you on the a230 . other than that - it's a nifty combo ! :)

How do you set the A700 to use remote shutter... I saw it in the menu but cant find it again

How do you set the A700 to use remote shutter... I saw it in the menu but cant find it again

You don't have to set anything, just plug in the remote release cable and use the button on that, if that is what you are asking about.

You don't have to set anything, just plug in the remote release cable and use the button on that, if that is what you are asking about.

Its not a remote release cable, its the IR remote? I thought I saw it but when I went back to use it I couldnt find it...

Its the standard remote that comes with the A700

Ah, understand you now. Press the "Drive" button on the top of the camera and scroll down the list, you'll recognise the correct option as soon as you see it.

Back