Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 5)

Hi anyone know which Metz Sogma Yongnuo flashes work in ttl mode in wireless mode with the a77 mkii please

This is the flash shoe from the 58 and 99 not the Minolta shoe

Cheers

Allan

As far as I am aware, none of the Yongnuo flashes work with Sony TTL.
The Metz 44-AF-1 and 52 AF-1 Sony versions have the new Sony hot shoe.

When referring to 'wireless' are you meaning using hte Pop-up flash as a wireless commander? - if so, it does not matter if the external flash has the old or new Sony show, the wireless signalling is the same (but it will make a difference if you want the flash on-camera, obviously)

As far as I am aware, none of the Yongnuo flashes work with Sony TTL.
The Metz 44-AF-1 and 52 AF-1 Sony versions have the new Sony hot shoe.

When referring to 'wireless' are you meaning using hte Pop-up flash as a wireless commander? - if so, it does not matter if the external flash has the old or new Sony show, the wireless signalling is the same (but it will make a difference if you want the flash on-camera, obviously)
Thank you very much thats a great help even dealers when i have rang don't seem to know the answer

Yes wireless was from the pop up flash which i think? does still offer t/l for the other flashes it triggers

I have no former flashes from Sony range so the older model hotshot is not overly relevant unless it meant saving money on used

The HVL f60 worries me a lot due to the overheat rep, the other thing i was considering was a flash cable just so its off the hotshoe

Thank you again

Allan :)

pretty sure my metz 44 works with the flash slave ttl thing, buuuuuut you can get oncamera flash effecting the picture, which isn't so great

pretty sure my metz 44 works with the flash slave ttl thing, buuuuuut you can get oncamera flash effecting the picture, which isn't so great

Wrap something round the front of the pop up flash and it wil still trigger the slaves.

A piece of old exposed film is oft recommended but I just use a piece of white card folded over the front. The light leak from the sides triggers the slaves.

What good Canon Prime FD lenses do you recommend? Was thinking of getting something as I was given a converter for the A6000

What good Canon Prime FD lenses do you recommend? Was thinking of getting something as I was given a converter for the A6000

I have the 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 and all are useable but if you're going down this route the Minolta Rokkors are IMO better. Converters are cheap enough and can be had for under £10 so I personally wouldn't let having a converter dictate my lens choice.

mirror2_zps1629ee4b.jpg

You can see the three main areas of damage (and the weird splatters) on the mirror.

mirror1_zps38e7a854.jpg

And the usual f32 shot against something white.

The sensor looks clean, so i think that leaves the mirror causing these blobs right?

If anybody owns both an a57 and an a77, could they check if it's the same mirror? I can only find a77 mirrors online. Thank you.
hi just had a similar issue on both my a77 mk2s and like you was convinced the mirror was the issue so bought new ones, and guess what no difference to the spots on shots, I finally paid to get the sensor cleaned on one body and the issue has gone. now I tried blowers, wet and dry wipes etc and nothing worked, the guy that cleaned it used a sensorklear pen blower job done and ill just add that my mirror was dirty and creased and it made no impact on the images before or after.

Bought myself an a6000 with a kit-lens second-hand from London Camera Exchange. Loving it so far - small, quick, lovely colours. I have noticed that you really, really need to apply lens correction to the raws with wide shots, otherwise the distortion and fall-off is abysmal, but other than that, no quibbles. I did buy a spare battery, but I was expecting to need one.

St Fagans-043.jpg untitled shoot-046.jpg untitled shoot-015-Edit.jpg

If you don't already have one, get an external charger for the batteries - MUCH faster than charging via USB in camera (I bought a bundle of charger + 2 spare batteries for mine).

Thanks! But yes, I did buy an external charger, so at the very least I could be charging one and using the other. Didn't realise it'd also be much faster.

Took out the a6000 with a manual focus Super-Takumar 135mm f3.5. My first time properly using focus peaking, and I love it. Much more engaging than auto-focus, much less frustrating than manually focusing without the focus aids I'm used to on my film cameras

untitled shoot-048.jpg

untitled shoot-080.jpg

Little help please. I have the Sony A6000. I now have some funds to upgrade to if I wish.

What options/upgrade can I get in place of the Sony 30mm macro and the Sony APS-C 55-210mm

All sorts! You could get shorter focal lengths. You could get longer. You could get wider apertures. You could get a flash gun. You could get a tripod. It depends entirely on what sort of things you'd like to be able to do with your camera that your current lenses can't do, or don't do well enough. You haven't given us any clues yet.

Let me rephrase that. What options/upgrade can I get in place of the Sony 30mm macro and the Sony APS-C 55-210mm. A better macro lens and a better zoom lens to the ones I have.

Let me rephrase that. What options/upgrade can I get in place of the Sony 30mm macro and the Sony APS-C 55-210mm. A better macro lens and a better zoom lens to the ones I have.
There is the Sony 90mm f2.8 macro, its a bit large and about £800ish used but is a n excellent lens both in build and IQ. I have one and I love it.
If you want to use Sony lenses there is the 70-200 f4 or the 70-300 f4-5.6, both are excellent lenses, again a bit large and pricey depended on what your budget is. I have the 70-300 and think it great.

There is the Sony 90mm f2.8 macro, its a bit large and about £800ish used but is a n excellent lens both in build and IQ. I have one and I love it.
If you want to use Sony lenses there is the 70-200 f4 or the 70-300 f4-5.6, both are excellent lenses, again a bit large and pricey depended on what your budget is. I have the 70-300 and think it great.

Brilliant. I'll investigate :)

As far as the macro what do you want to photograph & in what conditions? If things like insects that can scare then you want a long working distance so probably something like a 150mm or greater.
& generally in macro you will be using manual focus which opens you up to a huge range of adapted lenses.

As far as the macro what do you want to photograph & in what conditions? If things like insects that can scare then you want a long working distance so probably something like a 150mm or greater.
& generally in macro you will be using manual focus which opens you up to a huge range of adapted lenses.

Insects was up there, as well as well as flowers, still life in doors etc. It's the bees dragonflies and so on that I don't have much chance with the 30mm.

OK, for those there is more than 1 way to skin a cat ;). Assuming that teleconverters exist for E-mount then you could also consider using a longer lens e.g. 70-300 with a tc - this will increase your focal length without changing the minimum focus distance. I know a very good nature photographer whose "go to" set up for bees, butterflies etc. is now his Canon 100-400 L IS II & a teleconverter.

OK, for those there is more than 1 way to skin a cat ;). Assuming that teleconverters exist for E-mount then you could also consider using a longer lens e.g. 70-300 with a tc - this will increase your focal length without changing the minimum focus distance. I know a very good nature photographer whose "go to" set up for bees, butterflies etc. is now his Canon 100-400 L IS II & a teleconverter.
There are no TC's for E mount yet.

There are no TC's for E mount yet.

There are, but only fit the g master 70-200 I believe. And cost in the region of £500.

Extension tubes are probably a better option for cheap macro. They cost about £15-£20 for e mount.

Could someone recommend an L bracket for the A6300 not looking to spend a fortune on one though.

Back