Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 5)

There are some rumours about the death of A mount but they are purely just that. It seems to have gotton out of hand on some forums I frequent which is comical as its simply the anxious worries of ill informed people. I say ill informed, more like nil informed as Sony have said nothing to this effect. I understand they haven't said alot to counter this either but Sony have always been an 'odd' company at least to Westerners! I think the situation is one that exists purely in the minds of people.

New A mount lenses have come out (50 1.4 ZA and 70-200 mk2 and 70-400 mk4) and anew A77 mk2 with two new full frame cameras rumoured. Again only rumours but SAR tend to be pretty accurate (eventually). I think Sony are aware they can't compete with Canikon in the DSLR market hence why they've gone full ahead with their E mount in the mirrorless market, in which Caikon is yet to dip a serious toe!

I have the kit 18-55, 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, and 75-300mm. I won't need a long range zoom like the 75-300 as I've only used it once in the past year.
if you wanted a like for like upgrade, then a sony/tamron 16-50, sigma 35mm 1.4 and a 50mm 1.4 (or tamron 60mm macro) would be the likely recommendations, reguardless of mount :)

At this point I'm seriously considering jumping ship to Olympus. I love my Sony to death, but the Olympus system seems more comprehensive and has better direction. My Sony a330 is so long in the tooth I just need to upgrade, and now is as good a time as any. I've been reading up on m4/3 and there doesn't seem to be any real disadvantage for the kind of work I do over having a bigger heavier crop or full frame systems. Thoughts?

By all means jump ship but unless the Olympus system has over 430 autofocus lenses to choose from I doubt it's more comprehensive.

A sony a330 is very long in the tooth and yes if you went to a modern micro 4/3rd you would get better iq.

At this point I'm seriously considering jumping ship to Olympus. I love my Sony to death, but the Olympus system seems more comprehensive and has better direction. My Sony a330 is so long in the tooth I just need to upgrade, and now is as good a time as any. I've been reading up on m4/3 and there doesn't seem to be any real disadvantage for the kind of work I do over having a bigger heavier crop or full frame systems. Thoughts?
How about a more modern sony body? I have an a57 for sale on avforums.com

As far as mirrorless goes, Olympus has IBIS, and smaller lenses. I think it's the IBIS that gets me. Sorry for the short reply; I'm on the road and can give a better reply tonight.

Makes me want to swap my mk1 for the mk2... But I don't do enough fast paced stuff to justify :(

It looks like the new sensor and bionz x along with tweaks to the jpeg engine have improved the output too, but that's a lot of money to get those gains over the A77. I expect we will see some good stuff coming out of Lightroom once it supports the A77II.

The A77II is a no-brainer upgrade for AF freaks, but for those happy with their A77 AF I'd say stick with it for a year or two and watch prices tumble. If the reader is lucky enough to have the disposable income though (or a spare CC like me :D), just buy it and benefit from the improved output. Maybe I am simply trying to justify it to myself, but it just feels like what the A77 should have been, the first time I took it for a shoot the AF wow'ed me. Fact is that if I couldn't have bent my CC I'd still be happily shooting the A77, but had I tried it in the shop one day....hmm.... :confused:

For anyone looking for an A77ii Harrison cameras are doing them with a free Sony battery and they have a £100 trade in bonus too. They will have stock again next week.

I've been hanging around the sony outlet store but none have come up yet.

For anyone looking for an A77ii Harrison cameras are doing them with a free Sony battery and they have a £100 trade in bonus too. They will have stock again next week.

I've been hanging around the sony outlet store but none have come up yet.

If you have a iISO flash you might want to jump at the chance to buy the ADP-MAA adapter while waiting for the A77II. That adapter is a right pain to find in stock, it took me weeks.

Sony's own user manual is hopeless. Gary Friedman is writing an ebook so that should help.

i think it should be similer to the other sony camera's, specialy a mount, so those manuals should be relivant :)

Gary fong has done a good free YouTube about the AF with lock on and how it works. He's also got a 100 minute subscribers only vid about the entire camera but I haven't got the patience to sit through it. I prefer books :)

Hi guys, bought the A77 mkii plus 16-50mm f2.8 and ordered the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 still a lot of learning of menus as a former Canon shooter.

Looks as if the thread is not heavily used but hey ho

Dyxum is the place to be for Sony stuff.

Hi Eddie

Yes I look on Dyxum not joined yet, I guess if us Sony folk hope it may be a bit more mainstream we need to wave the flag :wave: (Could not find a Sony flag)

Certainly for dSLR this section of the forum is mostly CaNikon, even Classifieds is missing a Sony section which says it all really. :(

Certainly for dSLR this section of the forum is mostly CaNikon, even Classifieds is missing a Sony section which says it all really. :(
Yes but we are in common with Pentax Samsung and I guess a fair few more thankfully most information posts are still useful regardless of camera make.

Also if you post an image it's doubtful many would check which camera you had used so we are ok there as well.

Hi all, I have an A57, I have also acquired a yashika fxd quartz with a contax planar 50mm lens on it, which I'm led to believe is a decent lens. Does anyone know if this can be used with an adaptor on my a mount a 57?.

Thinking about getting the 77mk2.

Could anybody using the Sony 77mk2,compare the shutter sound volume to the sony 77mk 1 or canon in silent shuter mode.

I am a wildlife viewer and looking for camera with minimal shutter sound.

Coming from a Bridge and CSC world ,I find the sound of the shutter quite irritating,but need to move into the dslr world for the quality and variety of lenses as well as performance in challenging conditions.

I don't think it will be any louder than the mk1. The AF tracking is worth getting it for. It doesn't seem that loud to me. I'd check out the existing YouTube vids on it and see whether you think it is louder than anything else you've been looking at.

I'd just get a longer lens so you're further away from anything that might be spooked ;)

Thanks guys.

Like to get as close as possible to the large cats:)

Preferably but not always in a landy.

you can get ones for about a tenner
try wired lcd shutter remote
think the remote socket was same for all a mount cameras till recently

Soooo. I tried my ancient (2002 ish) 28-300 sigma lens on my A77ii. I expected it to immediately throw up some kind of error and not work. In A mode which I tend to shoot in, it seems to work fine...

What exactly do non compatible sigma lenses do on SLT cameras?? It is just movie mode for example they don't work in, or infinity focus or what?? I was at F4 which isn't the widest.

It's my first SLT and I just assumed it wouldn't work at all. Anyone tried old sigma lenses and found they were absolutely fine or found they did strange things?

Dyxum mentions other models having problems but strangely not mine. I just assumed it was across the board. Perhaps I'm the only person to own a 28-300 sigma and try it with an SLT :)

Last edited:
It seems ok AF wise but I don't think I'd try it with the 12 fps mode. I think that causes problems.

Some of the older Sigma lenses (particularly the 'budget' ones) also had plastic AF gearing, which was rather prone to failure, particularly on the A700/A850/A900 which had quite powerful AF motors - I don't know if Sony have done something to reduce the strain the camera can put on the AF gears in newer models, but it's not something that gets mentioned that often now (maybe most of the lenses with dodgy AF gears were broken years ago :) )

I think the 105mm sigma I bought had a leaflet about it warning you not to use it on the higher setting. I've not heard much about it but it seemed mainly the cheap and nasty 70-300 that fell to bits. I think canon also had the same problem with the same sigma lenses. They had a phase of building crap it has to be said.

I've not had an issue with any of mine in all the years I've had a digital body so either they're ok or I haven't used them enough to break any of them yet (y)

I had one fail, but that was an old budget lens that I got as part of a camera + multiple lenses bundle from eBay. The lens I was after in the bundle was worth more than I paid for the lot, so I didn't particularly care that a 'freebie' failed.

Back