Camera backpack for landscape kit

Name
terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Going around in circles on this one so turning to the members here for some help. I am trying to buy a rucksack suitable for carrying my landscape kit which comprises of the following kit. I have no need for a laptop space in the bag

Canon 80D
Canon 10-18
Canon 15-85
Canon 70-200F4
Lee filter bag with an assortment of grads etc and filter holder
a couple of remote triggers inc canon cable type

but this is the one I am struggling with I have a really good Induro tripod link below and want a backpack that can carry this tripod. so I ideally need a backpack with a good tripod carrying ability

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1158129-REG/induro_clt304l_3_stealth_carbon.html

Would welcome some suggestions

Thanks

You don't mention price, but I have an Atlas Adventure (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/atlas-bags.687631/#post-8304172). This would be overkill for that kit unless you were taking a tent & food.

The Atlas Athlete looks more like the right size for a day hike. After using my Adventure though for a few months now I'm never going to need another bag. They're very well made, light, and fit to the body like a second skin. Price is very much a consideration though.

Prior to the Atlas, I had a Dakine Poacher mountaineering pack. This opened strap-side too, and because it was a mountaineering pack, it had space for carrying skis & poles which doubled as tripod holders too (I have an FLM tripod at 2 kg which was no problem). Super pack that took 2 Fuji X bodies + lenses + filter pouch (needed to buy a camera insert). Barely any room left for much more than a waterproof, bottle of water & bag of crisps though.

I've found that anything without a waist belt has my back begging for relief after about half an hour walking, so "normal" photo backpacks are often out.

Some great suggestions will investigate each one The rucksack idea is another consideration I have a Osprey rucksack which might work with a insert

You don't mention price, but I have an Atlas Adventure (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/atlas-bags.687631/#post-8304172). This would be overkill for that kit unless you were taking a tent & food.

The Atlas Athlete looks more like the right size for a day hike. After using my Adventure though for a few months now I'm never going to need another bag. They're very well made, light, and fit to the body like a second skin. Price is very much a consideration though.

Prior to the Atlas, I had a Dakine Poacher mountaineering pack. This opened strap-side too, and because it was a mountaineering pack, it had space for carrying skis & poles which doubled as tripod holders too (I have an FLM tripod at 2 kg which was no problem). Super pack that took 2 Fuji X bodies + lenses + filter pouch (needed to buy a camera insert). Barely any room left for much more than a waterproof, bottle of water & bag of crisps though.

I've found that anything without a waist belt has my back begging for relief after about half an hour walking, so "normal" photo backpacks are often out.

Waist belts are underappreciated, so I agree with you. Not only do they help to take the strain, they are also useful to attach pouches etc. to as well.

I'll have to look into the Atlas packs. I'm STILL searching for the perfect day pack!

The Athlete looks like a great bag - it could be the one for me I really like that origami section..... ! :clap:

According to one of the reviews, though, they are developing a slightly deeper pack which might be more suitable for a DSLR kit rather than MFT. I think I might make some inquiries.

Many thanks for posting about this bag.

they are developing a slightly deeper pack

Drop them an email. They were super responsive and helpful when I was querying whether my Tommy would fit in the Adventure.

Have a look at a normal rucksack. The range of sizes is large and with inserts (available on Ebay) one might do what you need. Size for size an ordinary rucksack can be cheaper (sometimes much cheaper) than dedicated camera bags.

Dave

I have a calumet backpack with waist and chest strap, plus a couple of handles on the waist strap which I found really useful. More than enough room for what you have listed and holds a tripod well too.

Not sure if you are only looking for new but if not I am happy to go list it in the classifieds for consideration.

Agree on a waist and chest belt. You need to adjust these to take the strain off your back. Correct adjusted and camera gear mass isn't a big issue.

I really do think its great how opinions vary!

First thing I do is cut off any waist belt, I do this for 2 x reasons:

Firstly, I've got a long back and the waist/hip belt is never adjustable enough to sit where it would provide any benefit.

Secondly, and I appreciate that you landscape guys aren't "running and gunning", I find a belt attached to a pack to be way too restrictive when turning, panning etc.

Regularly packing around the 16kg mark for over 8 hours with no probs. I do use an old tactical belt order for water canteen, IFAK and admin stuff (spare cards/batteries etc). Might change as I get older, not saying what's right or wrong, just saying I'm 55 now and the rig works just fine. YMMV:)

GC

I really do think its great how opinions vary!

First thing I do is cut off any waist belt, I do this for 2 x reasons:

Firstly, I've got a long back and the waist/hip belt is never adjustable enough to sit where it would provide any benefit.

Secondly, and I appreciate that you landscape guys aren't "running and gunning", I find a belt attached to a pack to be way too restrictive when turning, panning etc.

Regularly packing around the 16kg mark for over 8 hours with no probs. I do use an old tactical belt order for water canteen, IFAK and admin stuff (spare cards/batteries etc). Might change as I get older, not saying what's right or wrong, just saying I'm 55 now and the rig works just fine. YMMV:)

GC

LOL you are a tank :D

irstly, I've got a long back
Me too. Sorta. That's one reason I went for a pack that had adjustable straps to raise or lower the pack on your back. Once I did that, it was just marvellous.

...aren't "running and gunning"
Definitely wouldn't use it for that. Way too unwieldy. So yes - for different ways of doing photography (some landscapers do run & gun!) different gear will be more use.
Also - I hate having things flap about round my waist. I'd have been a terrible gunslinger.

i quite like the mindshift rotation 180 professional rucksack myself, haven't bought it yet but having sifted through a lot of reviews i narrowed it down to this and the lowe pro whistler. Both are excellent but i think the mindshift has shoulder straps that feel like they would be comfortable for a lot longer in terms of padding and the waist band is more substantial too. I really like the rotating camera belt element too, just think it is a really useful idea when out in bad weather etc.

https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/p...MI56TSnsmf3wIVYbXtCh1MvAyIEAQYAiABEgJXc_D_BwE

I'm a fan of the Lowepro Vertex range - a slightly older bag. I've just upgraded to the 300 model, so my 200 is in the cupboard doing nothing. Has a good waist strap and a chest strap and will carry your kit. Has tripod attachments too.

I have a calumet backpack with waist and chest strap, plus a couple of handles on the waist strap which I found really useful. More than enough room for what you have listed and holds a tripod well too.

Not sure if you are only looking for new but if not I am happy to go list it in the classifieds for consideration.
If you could find a link I would have a look at the details of the bag thanks

Last edited:
i quite like the mindshift rotation 180 professional rucksack myself, haven't bought it yet but having sifted through a lot of reviews i narrowed it down to this and the lowe pro whistler. Both are excellent but i think the mindshift has shoulder straps that feel like they would be comfortable for a lot longer in terms of padding and the waist band is more substantial too. I really like the rotating camera belt element too, just think it is a really useful idea when out in bad weather etc.

https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/p...MI56TSnsmf3wIVYbXtCh1MvAyIEAQYAiABEgJXc_D_BwE

I tried one of these and really wanted to like it but it had one major drawback. There are virtually no zipped pockets for batteries, cards, lens caps, filters, etc. etc,, anywhere in the pack! It was such a big disadvantage that I sent it back for a refund.

The Lowepro Flipside 400 AW II has excellent tripod carrier.

Wex are selling for £119 and they have a 30-day return policy and understand that a photographer has to actually see a bag to know it's suitable for them individually rather than a marriage from a blind date.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/lowepro-flipside-aw-400-ii-review/

I know ;)

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/lowepro-flipside-400-aw-ii-black-£40-26.688531/

Got one for £40.26 - shame that deal is gone as I would recommend it.

.... The OP hasn't said he has a limited budget so why not recommend it if you are happy with yours?

Surely if you have expensive camera gear it's wiser to buy a camera bag which does what you need it to do reliably.

I am happy with it - it certainly will take what they said they have. For £40 it’s unreal.

I tried one of these and really wanted to like it but it had one major drawback. There are virtually no zipped pockets for batteries, cards, lens caps, filters, etc. etc,, anywhere in the pack! It was such a big disadvantage that I sent it back for a refund.
that in itself wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as i could find solutions to them and treat it as a niggle (though i do take your point about it being annoying). I think for a landscape bag comfort and the capacity to carry non-camera gear (clothes, food etc) is far more important, the comfort especially for me personally as i have a degenerative condition with my back so if i am going to carry a bag full of camera gear all day it needs to be as non-fatiguing as possible within reason.

I am at that classic case of how many bags do I need I have a early tarmac 7 and a kata bag plus one other the name escapes me. Each bag I have is set up related to the photography I will under take for example if I am off birding or motorsport my bag/ backpack has the kit to fit the task permanently ready so in esscence grab and go . I have a budget of £150 if needs be but do not want to spend the cash and then feel the bag has come up short several bags I have considered have come up short in terms of carrying tripods. Like I said in my original post I have no need for a laptop section and do not want to oversize the bag with the temptation that comes with adding more kit that I would not need on day out maybe trekking to spot. I do a lot of walking hiking and after many years of buying hiking gear be it boots or clothing I think I have got it about right with price vs suitability for the task osprey rucksacks I found are comfortable and well designed for instance. So in summary I want to consider all options really appreciate all the suggestions and thoughts by everyone great thing about these sort of buying decisions every one has an opinion[emoji41]

I have a Lowepro 400AW which I really rate. It's got plenty of room, it's comfortable and secure. I'd recommend it.

James
Another vote for the lowpro, we've got 4 in both the 400 and 500 size. Tough, pretty waterproof (been out in a downpour) and comfortable, holds a fair bit of kit.
They have a tripod strap on the back and a "foot" holder for one leg to stop them wobbling about.

I’ve been using f stop bags for several years now and wouldn’t change to anything else now. With the ability to change the ICU it’s great to vary what kit you take out but keep the overall bag the same. The only downside is the price and having to get them from European websites.

If you are looking at outdoor backpacks with camera inserts this article is quite good:

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/30/camera-specific-outdoor-packs-suck-heres-use-instead/

I’ve been using f stop bags for several years now and wouldn’t change to anything else now. With the ability to change the ICU it’s great to vary what kit you take out but keep the overall bag the same. The only downside is the price and having to get them from European websites.

If you are looking at outdoor backpacks with camera inserts this article is quite good:

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/30/camera-specific-outdoor-packs-suck-heres-use-instead/
Now I like this idea as I agree Osprey rucksack are very very good and very comfortable at carrying loads my current rucksack is 55ltr which I use to wild camp. Looking at price for the two combined at sub £100. There is a compromise with regard to easy access to the Tenba insert but it like anything new you adapt and modify. I notice there is a 26ltr version as well which may be better in terms of holding sandwiches[emoji4]

Last edited:
Now I like this idea as I agree Osprey rucksack are very very good and very comfortable at carrying loads my current rucksack is 55ltr which I use to wild camp. Looking at price for the two combined at sub £100. There is a compromise with regard to easy access to the Tenba insert but it like anything new you adapt and modify. I notice there is a 26ltr version as well which may be better in terms of holding sandwiches[emoji4]
My set up is great and a very flexible solution. I have a safe place to put the camera kit and plenty of room for other bits.

Given I have Osprey Kestrel rucksack that is very comfortable to wear I have ordered the tenba byo 13 from speed graphic today for £34 so I will try this insert with the Kestrel which is 48 ltrs so will still have room for wet weather gear water food etc. If the tenba moves around too much I will probably buy the osprey stratos 26ltr once I field tested for a few outings the current setup

Drop them an email. They were super responsive and helpful when I was querying whether my Tommy would fit in the Adventure.

As you suggested they got back to me straight away. The Photo gear section in the Athlete pack is actually quite small. It wouldn't be possible to store a body + lens combo on its back if combined length is more than 5 inches. So I was quite disappointed with that. Also the width of the pack is only about 9 inches which means my long zoom (150-600) wouldn't fit across the top in the Origami section. Obviously there are ways around this but for over £300 I think I'd have to have a look at the Athlete in flesh before committing myself.

They don't have a UK distributor and are not trying to find one unfortunately.:(

The search continues!

The Photo gear section in the Athlete pack is actually quite small

That's what I thought - hence picking up the Adventure. Just went out with it today and it's a pleasure to lug a lot of kit about in it but it is a big bag. I see on your sig you're somewhere near Wales. If it's north Wales, I'd be happy to meet up some time so you can see it (I'm nr Chester).

Back