Camera bags that look stylish

Best never get your camera out in public then - a bag may say (to those who can read the signs...) "I COULB BE CARRYING SEVERAL THOUSAND POUNDS WORTH OF TECHNOLOGY" but a big camera in you hand says "I'VE GOT A COUPLE OF GRAND SITTING ON MY HANDS WAITING FOR YOU TO GRAB IT AND DO A RUNNER". Neither says "RAPE ME."

Billingham Hadley Small in black and tan for around town. Lowepro Sport 100AW for hiking and travelling in wet climates.

I prefer quality and ruggedness over looks. I mean, my Kata bag is not a bad looker, it's never going to win any prizes, but what it also doesn't do is attract attention. It looks like any other travel bag. No obvious designer markings or logos. Just one small Kata logo that you have to be right up beside to see.

Now, when I open it up, it screams! As it's got bright yellow padding :D

But on the move, it's discreet.

Give me boring over a mugging any day.

I use a Dakine Mission, looks like a (massive) regular backpack, has a squillion straps and pockets, plus removable camera block inside.
Zip is on the back so no-one can sneak it open

Just sold the best bag i owned (downsized) and that was a Domke F2. I've had Lowepro's and crumplers but they aren't a patch on that.

I like the Think Tank retro series... I've had several Crumpler bags and their stuff is very well made and discrete but I found them a bit basic inside, not a lot of pockets and the like. I've now got a couple of Think Tank retro bags and love them, same build quality (although I wouldn't hose the mud off them like I used to with my Crumplers!) but they have been designed to make the most of the space inside.

My backpack is a very unstylish and indiscrete Lowepro Pro Trekker!

Hmm, Billingham not so popular then? My oldest is 40 years old, and still looks almost as good as new, and is still in the range, and almost identical today. It's still waterproof, and I could sell it second hand, for twice what it cost new. Where will KATA, Crumpler or Think Tank be in 40 years time??

Love them or loathe them, they are extremely well put together, of fabulous quality, and still in demand today. I've seen more pro's carrying Billingham, than any other brand. Incidentally, I've owned and used Lowe Alpines biggest bag, the Stealth 600. It's heavier than my 550, and doesn't carry as much. If you want to use it when it's raining, you have to use the AW waterproof cover. It also looks very well worn, and it was only a couple of years old. It sold for £30 on eBay.

Have you had a look at the think tank urban disguise 40 v2.0 ?

dont like the "look at my camera bag" ones either myself this fits my needs ..check them out on youtube

Have you had a look at the think tank urban disguise 40 v2.0 ?

dont like the "look at my camera bag" ones either myself this fits my needs ..check them out on youtube

Still looks like a camera bag to me.

Thieves that steal cameras, especially expensive ones, know what they are stealing. I'm guessing it's rare that a small time bag thief gets lucky, in fact, in 20 years as a police officer, I never once was involved in an expensive camera theft.

Thing is, they not only know their cameras, they know the bags they come in. They steal cameras to order, or to use. You can't go into a second hand shop these days and sell something unless you can show clear title, and or identity. These places are closely supervised by neighbourhood police officers, and they would soon get to know of any illegal trading.

Selling on eBay is not a good option either. No right minded person is going to buy high end gear, unless they know the seller, his reputation, and that he is reliable and not likely to buy high end gear.

If I'm going to go anywhere even slightly 'iffy', I try to take a single camera/lens combination, packed ito a lowepro padding kit, packed in a non descript bag.

I think that it is a fiction that ANY purpose built camera bag will fool any thief, other than an idiot.

The fact is, that ANY bag that looks good or expensive will be a target, whether it contains camera equipment or not.

I may look a bit daft, but I carry my bags on a long strap on my left hand side, with the strap over my right shoulder. It's impossible to pull off, and it leaves both hands free to fight off a thief.

I may look a bit daft, but I carry my bags on a long strap on my left hand side, with the strap over my right shoulder. It's impossible to pull off, and it leaves both hands free to fight off a thief.

Ditto, its the safest way.

Well for me it's a Billingham. i have a 445 & one of the original Photo Hadleys (hadley pro without handle) & tbh i think they just look like spazzy canvas satchels... but people tell me they're stylish.
i din't buy them just because they were Billingham bags they just came along at the right price & fitted my needs at the time when i bought them.
However they are well made & do exactly what i need them to do. I just use my Lowepro Vertex 300 as padded storage now :)

i've looked at other brands & most just seem plain uniteresting or garish & flourescent!!

well last bag I got was this one for only £25
http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-canvas-photo-messenger-shoulder-bag
ds-014_13.jpg

So I treated myself to an early Christmas present.....

20122241459188400.jpg

I'll put up initial thoughts/review in the relevant section in the next few days.

Crunpler gets my vote for style and contemporary looks. Now this is going to upset the apple cart a bit, I know that the quality of Billingham bags is fantastic and they are a long standing name in Photography (Ive been a keen tog for 35 years so I know this to be a fact (y)) but I'm sorry, I have never owned or want to own what to my mind is a Gamekeepers/fishermans bag redesigned for camera equipment "STYLISH" seriously ? :wacky:

Rural chic maybe, but they always strike me as being the preserve of people who wont wear wellingtons unless they are Hunters or jackets unless they are Barbour waxed or dryzabone. :naughty: Let the games begin. :exit:
Agree with this ^ ....well made but certainly don't 'do' anything for me in the looks department. What I've done is buy an ordinary messenger bag that I like the look of and then bought inserts off Ebay.....then I get the best of both worlds.
JohnyT

Best never get your camera out in public then - a bag may say (to those who can read the signs...) "I COULB BE CARRYING SEVERAL THOUSAND POUNDS WORTH OF TECHNOLOGY" but a big camera in you hand says "I'VE GOT A COUPLE OF GRAND SITTING ON MY HANDS WAITING FOR YOU TO GRAB IT AND DO A RUNNER". Neither says "RAPE ME."

Depends if you've got a misogynistic camera thief on your hands, who knows what could happen. :shrug:

Billingham for me, I have an all black 445 which I bought 2nd hand at a camera fair a couple of years ago saving over a hundred pounds on the new price, I don't think you can beat Billingham for quality of materials or workmanship style is of secondary importance to me.:)

That's my problem. I try to avoid camera bags that look like camera bags (lowepro etc) because I'm a small, young woman and like to avoid anything that says 'I'M CARRYING SEVERAL THOUSAND POUNDS WORTH OF TECHNOLOGY'.

Might be worth looking at the Naneu Pro Lima in Olive green. Doesn't look particularly like a camera bag, but will hold a decent sized body and about 3 lenses, plus a 7" tablet.
http://www.naneubags.com/products-by-series/military-ops/lima

Domke, a small one it genuinely doesn't look like a camera bag, not even that well padded and yes the big label got removed!

Call me snob if you wish ;) but the Billingham Hadley pro is the nicest bag I've ever owned and I've been through a few brands. I bought the all black version, it just looks like a standard messenger bag to me. The main reason I chose the Billingham is because it's rain proof without having to put its own little plastic coat on that's tucked away in a pocket. And of course it's a quality bag and nice to use.

pink-inside(4).jpg

:)

Back