Camera buying advice for a friend

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a friend who is going to costa rica for a few months and has asked for advice on a camera. Her budget is £400, which is flummoxed me, as I don't really have my finger on the pulse of cameras in the price range. There are plenty of body-only ILCs I can think of in that range, but I don't think she's be up for shooting lens-cap-pinhole. I also don't think she has enough time for an ebay bidding war... So used would be MPB or similar.

I thought fujifilm x100s, for size, image quality, form factor etc but they're £450, and maybe a bit niche.

Any thoughts?

Sony RX100 series camera should be able to get a version IV for that price - small, easy carried, good IQ.

Just serach here (and you can filter out eBay) plenty at MPB and other retailers.

You can get a Panasonic GX80 and kit lens for under £400.

I'd go for a f1.8 prime with it but maybe she'll prefer the teeny tiny 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 mega ois.

These are about the same size as a Fuji X100 but maybe less niche.

For example...

Camera...

Lens... This one is silver, I have a black one.
Black one...

Last edited:
The best thing you can do is tell her to go into a shop and see what she likes.

She might want to think about what she wants to shoot. If I was going to Costa Rica (and I really wish I was), I'd be wanting a longer lens for the wildlife. £400 budget sounds tricky.

D3300 + kit lens + 70-300 lens. Someone is selling a D5300 on here with a 18-140 lens for £300, which is a good price.

Costa Rica to me screams wildlife, which on a £400 budget suggests a long lens compact rather than an interchangeable lens camera

Out of curiosity why doesn’t she want to use her phone, what is it that she feels spending £400 is going to help achieve better memories?

Costa Rica to me screams wildlife, which on a £400 budget suggests a long lens compact rather than an interchangeable lens camera

To me it conjures up rainforests, heat and humidity and volcanoes and stories an ex of mine who used to live there told me but to the lady who wants a camera the attraction may be the beach.

Maybe Tom needs to know where she's going and what she'd like to take pictures of. If it's the hotel, the beach and general social pictures that's one thing and if it's creepy crawlies in a dark rainforest that's another.

hehe, indeed... Beach = iPhone. Rainforest etc is screaming for a Z7ii and a ton of lenses, at least to me ;)
I don't think I'd be changing lenses in a rainforest so I suppose I'd choose a quality camera with a wide aperture close focusing lens and a compact with a zoom lens.

Panasonic LUMIX FZ330? I’ve had one for several years, great little camera. Small(ish) long zoom, only downside is a small sensor, but if used carefully gives great results. Like new on MOB for just on £400

When I went to Costa Rica I took a slimmed down full frame DSLR kit - the 70-200 zoom lens wasn't really long enough for the wildlife, but I mainly used the wide angle lens.

Don't go and spoil a perfectly good gear thread with actual experience!

:ROFLMAO:

TBH your picture is exactly what I'd imagined. Wildlife would require significant determination I would expect, beyond the natural willingness of the average tourist who's not a togger.

Last edited:
You can get a Panasonic GX80 and kit lens for under £400.

I'd go for a f1.8 prime with it but maybe she'll prefer the teeny tiny 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 mega ois.

These are about the same size as a Fuji X100 but maybe less niche.

For example...

Camera...

Lens... This one is silver, I have a black one.
Black one...
I paid nearer to £300 for a GX9 (less than 3000 shutter count) and a 12-32 lens, quite happy with it.

But for general holiday shots, it would need the 14-140 lens to make it really worthwhile, and as others have said for most wildlife something longer.

At least we know the location, and being normally bright, a small sensor won't have such a big disadvantage as it might have in darker conditions., so (as suggested) something like an FZ82 would fit her budget and allow some wildlife, also would be nice to "get close" to other subjects that might be impractical to get physically closer to.

If convenience in size and use is important, a TZ60 will give good results, and use the cash balance to get more small SD cards (change frequently and don't keep them with the camera) and a couple of spare batteries.

In my experience, the smaller sensor Panasonics really come to life in brighter climates, and as I don't go with the aim of getting NG quality photos, I have never wished I took a dSLR of any kind.

Don't go and spoil a perfectly good gear thread with actual experience!

:ROFLMAO:

TBH your picture is exactly what I'd imagined. Wildlife would require significant determination I would expect, beyond the natural willingness of the average tourist who's not a togger.
It depends on your definition of significant determination, but this Blue Jay joined us for breakfast:

Visitor at breakfast by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

And I didn't even have to leave my sunlounger for this photo of a woodpecker:

Hoffmann's Woodpecker by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

Back