Camera Straps?

BMD

Name
Bruce
Edit My Images
No
I'd like your views please on camera straps.

I use two bodies both of which came with the manufacturers wide straps. Good straps but I hate advertising the fact I'm carrying this make/type of camera.

I'm looking to purchase a couple of decent straps. I've been looking at Black Rapid but am a little concerned having read a couple of threads here on them coming loose and resulting in tales of woe plus, that to secure them, you also need to buy an additional clip which seems to me to be a design flaw as well as an unnecessary expense.

Both my bodies have RRS L Brackets fixed so am aware that the BR straps screw into the base.

What are your views and if you have recommendations I'd be pleased to read them

Optech camera straps have met all my requirements

I use a BR strap - never had an issue with it coming loose, but then I am a bit OCD about making sure everything is done up tight every so often. When checking the tightness have never found it to be remotely close to coming loose.

Edit: And that is without the added extra clip.

Optech camera straps have met all my requirements

Thanks Peter

I have just ordered a HoldFast MoneyMaker. its a 2-3 camera strap system similar to black rapids and other variants.

Stevie do they have a website?

I use a BR strap - never had an issue with it coming loose, but then I am a bit OCD about making sure everything is done up tight every so often. When checking the tightness have never found it to be remotely close to coming loose.

Edit: And that is without the added extra clip.

Thanks Brian. Both my cameras are hefty items. I'm leaning BR way but looking on the net there are so many to choose from Tamrac, Joby, Matin etc

Black Rapid has given me know problems at all over the years, with a 1D.

I have the Black rapid and have had no issues with it . I have used Optech straps and found that while a comfortable
strap for short periods of time it is fine but the neck gets sore after a while. Not a problem with the Black rapid.

optech do a good dual harness and the sling strap is good too, the neck straps are decent but its not good place to hang heavy stuff

My SLRs all have OpTech neoprene straps fitted and the CSCs have narrower Tamrac neoprene straps on them. Never tried BR or similar since the straps I have work well for me.

I use Black Rapid and have never had any issues with them coming loose, though I do double check them each time I put them on.

If you're using L brackets, rather than screwing the fastener into the L bracket you could do what I do which is fit Kirk 1 inch Arca Swiss clamps to the fastener, you can Loctite them up that way, and then just slide your L bracket into the clamp and tighten it up, that way you retain the ability to quickly stick the camera on a tripod if necessary.

Just some cloth ones and leather ones, been using it the past 5 years and it's great.

It takes up no room in the case.
It's soft.
It's discrete, especially when travelling, it does not scream "i have something expensive over my shoulder"

You may argue they don't give you as much support but i shoot with 2 x 5D3 with a bag full of L primes and L zooms and been through many weddings no problem.

qF60RZP.png

Thank you all. Wished I hadn't asked now. More confused than ever.

I use Black Rapid and have never had any issues with them coming loose, though I do double check them each time I put them on.

If you're using L brackets, rather than screwing the fastener into the L bracket you could do what I do which is fit Kirk 1 inch Arca Swiss clamps to the fastener, you can Loctite them up that way, and then just slide your L bracket into the clamp and tighten it up, that way you retain the ability to quickly stick the camera on a tripod if necessary.

Interesting point Mark. Thanks.

Looking on the web etc am I right that when on straps like Black Rapid the camera hangs upside down?

you should go for a sling style strap, thats got some give and elasticity to it, well padded, its much better than a neck strap, even a padded one.

and optech is the cheapest well made good quality system about, and you can get tripod style fittings off ebay if you prefer.

one alteration ive made with my sling strap is to use a different style connector on the camera, gives a little bit more freedom than the default short connector.

so yeah, just buy a optech sling strap, and youll look at guys with the oem strap and think to yourself, dude if only you knew... :D

I've used Canon's own strap for a long time, couple of years ago, bought an optech strap and it's very good - can get a little heavy / aching on the back of the neck after a while.

The Black rapid straps seem to get very good reviews as well - I'm considering trying one, would like to find somewhere local that has some stock to have alook at them / try one...

I use the footprint leather strap and have nothing but praise for the quality and the service I've had from them.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. I'm going for a sling type. Probably the Black Rapid DR-1 harness but not committed yet.

Used a black rapid strap for a while and never truly liked it.

Been using a Holdfast moneymaker for a while and couldn't be happier with it. I guess it's appearance is very much down to taste but I prefer it to that of the look of BR straps.

When just using a single cam I'm not as fussy. I have a couple of optech ones.

I've used Canon's own strap for a long time, couple of years ago, bought an optech strap and it's very good - can get a little heavy / aching on the back of the neck after a while.

The Black rapid straps seem to get very good reviews as well - I'm considering trying one, would like to find somewhere local that has some stock to have alook at them / try one...

Try the optech as a shoulder strap, rather than around your neck. It's much less painful!

I use two bodies both of which came with the manufacturers wide straps. Good straps but I hate advertising the fact I'm carrying this make/type of camera.

Doesn't the camera on the end of it do that already though?

Personally, if you like the straps you have, keep 'em. :)

[/quote]

Doesn't the camera on the end of it do that already though?

Personally, if you like the straps you have, keep 'em. :)
[/quote]

I get what he means though. With Nikon in particular, the writing is bright yellow and unsightly. Plain leather of the Holdfast straps is a good look imo.

Just some cloth ones and leather ones, been using it the past 5 years and it's great.

It's soft.
It's discrete, especially when travelling, it does not scream "i have something expensive over my shoulder"

You may argue they don't give you as much support but i shoot with 2 x 5D3 with a bag full of L primes and L zooms and been through many weddings no problem.

qF60RZP.png

Do you have a link to the ebay seller for these straps Ray? Been meaning to pick one up for a while but when I do a search all I can find is garish monstrosities!

I have a Joby Ultra Sling strap and much prefer it to the BR straps. I had a BR and sold it within a moth or so.
The Jobby is the same type of strap, but has a system when it expands when you lift the camera up to your eye, and can be tightened when you lower the camera so the camera fits snugly against your torso.
i also found the construction to be more camera friendly, as its not using metal clips etc.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joby-UltraFit-Sling-Camera-Strap/dp/B0096JZRBI

Just my opinion though. Actually i dont use it these days but its been the best strap ive had.

I'm looking to purchase a couple of decent straps. I've been looking at Black Rapid but am a little concerned having read a couple of threads here on them coming loose and resulting in tales of woe plus, that to secure them, you also need to buy an additional clip which seems to me to be a design flaw as well as an unnecessary expense.

Both my bodies have RRS L Brackets fixed so am aware that the BR straps screw into the base.

What are your views and if you have recommendations I'd be pleased to read them

If the cameras are totally yours (ie: fully paid for and not paying back a loan for them) then the cameras are yours to do as you wish, apart from taking photographs with them which is their main purpose, you could do anything with them, take them into the bath (nobody in their right mind would do it), blow them up (nobody in their right mind would do it), or whatever you wish with them, they are yours, they belongs to you, that that includes the camera straps.

So there is nothing to stop you getting a marker pen or black paint, and cover up the manufacturer's name on the good straps. You could stick some stickers on them to cover up the names (but won't last). You could sew some of those patches on if you can or if someone could do it for you. You can do anything you want with the good straps.

Why do I recommend that? Well, like you said, they're good straps, so don't let it go to waste because you don't like the advertising on it. No different from when you fully paid for a car, you are enlist to peel off the garage's sticker usually found on the back window.

If you still want to opt for Black Rapid straps or anything like that, you should still keep the good straps as back up, and if you still don't like the advertising on it, then see what you can do to cover them up or whatever. They're usually printed on right? So why not see if you can scratch them off ( no different from wear and tear) unless they're the sew on sort.

It's soft.

qF60RZP.png

My kind of photographer, I like the fact that you would use old camera straps like that, they don't scream that you have expensive cameras, I do similar as you do, but what about the lens caps? They're screaming that you have expensive kit. :)

For me, I tend to sometimes use marker pen and cover them up, or buy spare third party lens caps, and sometimes place a masking tape over it with the focus length written on it (like writing 28-70mm on it).

But I like those straps, best looking straps I've seen. :)

I've spent loads trying to find the right strap. I refused to buy into the hype of BR so went with OpTech. I now have various bits of theirs like including the utility sling, pro strap and about £30-40 of bits and bobs to join them all together and I've never really been happy.

This week I ordered a Black Rapid Curve (aka RS-7) and I am already rather happy with it. Time will tell though on this one but it certainly seems to work as advertised. I did get the lockstar too, but I probably needn't have bothered. I don't habitually use a tripod on my body as the tripod usually has the gimbal on so just screw in the adaptor as needed but I might do what Mark has done and order a small clamp and save a bit of aggro.

I don't worry about the strap saying expensive, as others have said the big black camera on the end of it does that well enough. Also if your lens cap in on the camera saying "look I'm expensive" how do you take a picture?

All my kits insured so whilst it would be a pain I'm covered if someone does decide they want it or it falls off a strap.

Not keen on the Money maker straps, they look a bit to hipster and form over function. Not saying they don't work great but they seem a bit "boutique" and have the price to go with it.

I've spent loads trying to find the right strap. I refused to buy into the hype of BR so went with OpTech. I now have various bits of theirs like including the utility sling, pro strap and about £30-40 of bits and bobs to join them all together and I've never really been happy.

This week I ordered a Black Rapid Curve (aka RS-7) and I am already rather happy with it. Time will tell though on this one but it certainly seems to work as advertised. I did get the lockstar too, but I probably needn't have bothered. I don't habitually use a tripod on my body as the tripod usually has the gimbal on so just screw in the adaptor as needed but I might do what Mark has done and order a small clamp and save a bit of aggro.

I don't worry about the strap saying expensive, as others have said the big black camera on the end of it does that well enough. Also if your lens cap in on the camera saying "look I'm expensive" how do you take a picture?

All my kits insured so whilst it would be a pain I'm covered if someone does decide they want it or it falls off a strap.

Not keen on the Money maker straps, they look a bit to hipster and form over function. Not saying they don't work great but they seem a bit "boutique" and have the price to go with it.

It's more than insurance replacement or lens caps and all that.

I'll expand.

When walking through the streets in a foreign country, if you glance at me from behind, you'll merely see that brown strap over my shoulder, no different to any kind of bags. As I hold the camera in my hand at all times. FYI, don't travel with a "camera bag", I merely use a old leather bag that looks like about 50 years old. There was a reason I wanted a tiny tripod in another thread because it fits in there too.

Lens cap by the way is left off all the time. I actually took it off at BA Terminal 5 before I left, and put it back on when I got home 2 weeks later. UV filters, that's how you use them :p The camera is always on as well, some nights I even forget to turn it off. Only turn it off when I take out the battery to charge it.

No hoods if possible to keep it small. But not on the Canon 50/1.4 as that lens protrudes when focus.

Prime lens only too, but there's more than just weight reason for that and that's what we are talking about here.

Joey Lawrence actually put duct tape on his kit to make them appear old and tatty. He may even paint over the Canon on the camera as well.

Found it - http://www.joeyl.com/2012/12/5-critical-tips-for-travel-photographers/

As for insurance, sure they can replace it, but they can't replace the photos, so more discrete the better.

Last edited:
FYI re-BR... my camera came off the strap and smashed. BR paired for all the repairs and sent me their tether kit and lockstar to prevent it from happening again. If you are getting a BR strap, or have one already, i would highly recommend the lockstar and/or a leash as well!

I still use BR and happy with them as a company.

I think the holdfast has style and function but each to their own. Price doesnt bother me as i'm entrusting it to carry nearly £8k worth of kit! Bought the holdfast knowing that if it wasn't for me i could get my money back on ebay, but am really taken by it. I hate double straps that have a chest strap. I feel like I'm strapped in for a parachute jump!

Optech dual sling is more comfortable and cheaper than black rapid imo.

Once again, thanks for your views etc. I'm going to go down the sling type route either HF, BR, Op Tech or Joby. Perhaps I'll buy one of each:D

To be honest though anyone fancying robbing you of your kit is unlikely to be a photographer themselves, they won't know the difference between a 5D for £400 and a 5D3 for £2000, nor the difference between a kit lens and an 85mm f1.2, they're just looking for kit which appears expensive.

I agree with you but...

Some don't care if your camera or lens or kit is cheap or expensive, they would still mug you and take whatever they can, they don't care if the camera they took off you can only sell for a measly £50 (or $50 or wherever the crime happens). All they care about is getting something they can sell just for a little bit of cash, so they can just buy some drinks, smokes, or even a little bag of white powder!

Decision reached. HF 'Moneymaker' with Portrait sliders ordered. Should be named 'Moneytaker'.

As I use RRS L plates on both cameras which fit into Wimberley plates on my Gitzo I've also ordered a pair of RRS 38mm screw knob clamps with strap bosses.

These will allow me to attach the HF MM to the clamps and then to the L plates and thence the Gitzo without having to remove the HF MM from the camera (s) each time they're mounted.

Thanks once again for all your recommendations and advice. Incidentally, Major Easy, cameras are paid for but I will be keeping the original straps. :ty:

Last edited:
Back