Camera Straps?

Looking on the web etc am I right that when on straps like Black Rapid the camera hangs upside down?

....How your camera hangs when on a BlackRapid strap is up to whether you attach the BR FASTENR to the underside of the camera body or to the tripod collar on your lens. Also it depends on the weight/balance of the lens fitted.

I have BR FASTENR's attached to both body and Manfrotto RC2 tripod plates which live attached to my lenses. This results in faster moves on and off the tripod to and from the BR strap.

I should be on commission...

Has yours arrived yet? I note HF send it by USPS. I purchase quite a bit from the US & with most companies (RRS, Wimberley, LensCoat), that I've made purchases with you get a choice. Personally always use UPS as it's here within 3-4 days. USPS seem to take 2-3 weeks!

Has yours arrived yet? I note HF send it by USPS. I purchase quite a bit from the US & with most companies (RRS, Wimberley, LensCoat), that I've made purchases with you get a choice. Personally always use UPS as it's here within 3-4 days. USPS seem to take 2-3 weeks!

Not yet. Was a delay in shipping as he had to make it - which is comforting that it's all hand made but a pain in the backside cos waiting sucks. Just posted Friday night (our time) so I'm checking tracking with annoying regularity. Says 5-10 days....

Not yet. Was a delay in shipping as he had to make it - which is comforting that it's all hand made but a pain in the backside cos waiting sucks. Just posted Friday night (our time) so I'm checking tracking with annoying regularity. Says 5-10 days....

Is that USPS? I don't think or certainly didn't see a UPS option. Mines 'in transit'.

I've also ordered a HF Moneymaker. My last shipping update was 9th May at Chicago. A google of the Zip Code points to Chicago airport so I am hoping it's in the sky. My first wedding is Saturday and I would really like it for then.

Have a Black Rapid twin sling for shooting horse events, comfortable and invaluable
:)

I've also ordered a HF Moneymaker. My last shipping update was 9th May at Chicago. A google of the Zip Code points to Chicago airport so I am hoping it's in the sky. My first wedding is Saturday and I would really like it for then.

Mines shown as leaving Chicago on 8th May (3 days ago). Assume it's coming by row boat. I wouldn't bet on it being here by then

Mines shown as leaving Chicago on 8th May (3 days ago). Assume it's coming by row boat. I wouldn't bet on it being here by then

Good grief. Although I've had two updates from Chicago. The first I assumed is meant it had left, but the second was 14 hours later and still Chicago so I'm hoping that one means it has left? It took three days from Tulsa to Chicago.

Good grief. Although I've had two updates from Chicago. The first I assumed is meant it had left, but the second was 14 hours later and still Chicago so I'm hoping that one means it has left? It took three days from Tulsa to Chicago.

That's the problem I've found with USPS. On Thursday morning just gone, 8th, I ordered some bits from RRS who are based in California. Yesterday afternoon it had arrived at my nearest UPS depot in Croydon, Surrey. Being delivered tomorrow. Would have been today if not for it being a Sunday, that's the difference. Obviously you pay for it but 3-4 days from the west cost of USA to my door is good in my books

I've mailed HF to see if they would consider putting UPS on their system as an option.

Last edited:
A quick google says this.....

"Apparently Chicago is a very, very slow customs processing point. I've had things go through other cities in 2-3 days. Chicago is probably the slowest point of entry I've ever dealt with."

I'm guessing it may be the same for export also? Either way, it's painful as if it isn't here for Saturday, I need an emergency strap idea!

Just had a reply from Matthew Swaggart re using UPS as an option. Here's his reply

"I've always been told by overseas buyers that UPS adds extra taxes on the import? I've been told by many overseas buyers to never use UPS for that reason, is that not your experience?

I've replied that yes UPS do charge you but you do at least have an option to either use them or not.

.......and here's his response.

Quote 'Oh I don't mid at all-all information is good! I'll definitely look into it, it's just that I get lost of complaints on import taxes and not as much on shipping time so I picked less money for people. But I can look into adding it as an option.'

Be good if he does for those that want an item quicker.

Latest update on mine is at 3-19pm today it cleared UK Customs.

Mine is still in Chicago - ordered nearly 3 weeks ago but only shipped on the 9th.

Jeez, that's poor. The RRS I mentioned above was delivered to my door this afternoon by UPS. Does USPS stuff once it arrives here go to Royal Mail for delivery?

Mine is also stuck at Chicago. I believe it will go to parcel force. If you the tracking number on their site it registers and says they are expecting it.

Mine is also stuck at Chicago. I believe it will go to parcel force. If you the tracking number on their site it registers and says they are expecting it.

Thanks Gareth I'll check on that. FWIW I don't know if you or Stevie have e-mailed HF. When I did yesterday and previously, all mail was replied to by Matthew Swaggart, the boss. I mentioned to him yesterday that I was surprised getting a reply on a Sunday. He apparently works 7 days a week as he is only a small concern. That might be a reason for delay in getting it posted apart from the obvious of making the harnesses. Just a thought.

Thanks Gareth I'll check on that. FWIW I don't know if you or Stevie have e-mailed HF. When I did yesterday and previously, all mail was replied to by Matthew Swaggart, the boss. I mentioned to him yesterday that I was surprised getting a reply on a Sunday. He apparently works 7 days a week as he is only a small concern. That might be a reason for delay in getting it posted apart from the obvious of making the harnesses. Just a thought.

Yeah I've spoke to him back and forwards - Being a small business owner myself I know what its like so he's had a bit more slack than I would usually give! - That and the fact he comes across as genuinely nice guy.

Sounds like you guys have gone for the ornate leathers!!!!. Bit of Black Bison or similar running loose in the UK me thinks!!!!!.

I stuck with good old tan bridle for mine. Now with Parcelforce 48 hr so will probably see it in a couple of weeks:thinking:

Sounds like you guys have gone for the ornate leathers!!!!. Bit of Black Bison or similar running loose in the UK me thinks!!!!!.

I stuck with good old tan bridle for mine. Now with Parcelforce 48 hr so will probably see it in a couple of weeks:thinking:

Water Buffalo!

There are some in a field round the corner from me - should have sent him the leather myself!

Mine was in stock apparently when I ordered. Chestnut bridle. It's been at Chicago since the 6th. :(

Water Buffalo!

There are some in a field round the corner from me - should have sent him the leather myself!

Best be careful then when it arrives. Can see them getting the hump with you if they smell their cousins round your shoulders:)

Mine was in stock apparently when I ordered. Chestnut bridle. It's been at Chicago since the 6th. :(

Not good :( Trouble is there's nothing you can do about it either that's what I find so frustrating.

AS was mine - It was the extra portrait slider that caused the issue.

I ordered two sliders for mine and, as above, now in the UK. Obviously leather type for mine immediately available

Still at Chicago according to tracking. :(

What was your next update after 'processed at sort facility - Chicago ISC'?

Still at Chicago according to tracking. :(

What was your next update after 'processed at sort facility - Chicago ISC'?

Here's a copy of what USPS site says:

Product & Tracking Information
Postal Product:
Features:

• International Parcels
DATE & TIME
STATUS OF ITEM

Customs Clearance

UNITED KINGDOM

Your item is being processed by customs in UNITED KINGDOM at 3:19 pm on May 12, 2014.

May 12, 2014 , 3:18 pm

Customs Clearance

UNITED KINGDOM

May 12, 2014 , 3:09 pm

Processed Through Sort Facility

UNITED KINGDOM

May 8, 2014 , 10:37 pm

Processed Through Sort Facility

ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

May 8, 2014 , 9:53 pm

Arrived at Sort Facility

ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

May 8, 2014 , 5:13 am

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

CHICAGO, IL 60666

Parcelforce have now taken it over and no change. Still at International Hub (Coventry Airport)

I'm now up to UK customs clearance!!! Exciting times.

It's the Hub at Coventry that bothers me the most. I've had weary dealings with them previously when an item remained as 'clearing customs' for a week. When, eventually, I managed to speak to someone there they couldn't find my item. That's when I reverted to UPS. contacted the company in the US, explained the item lost and they sent a replacement (by UPS). The item 'lost' turned up about 6 weeks later.
Hope things have improved this time.

I'm now up to UK customs clearance!!! Exciting times.

You'll need to bear in mind custom charges. Parcelforce will have it at their depot 48hrs after release by the UKBF. They will then write to you detailing charges. Once paid they'll deliver. I don't think you'll see it by the weekend I'm afraid

You'll need to bear in mind custom charges. Parcelforce will have it at their depot 48hrs after release by the UKBF. They will then write to you detailing charges. Once paid they'll deliver. I don't think you'll see it by the weekend I'm afraid

I know I was thinking that earlier. Need a strap plan for Saturday!

Just had a reply from Matthew Swaggart re using UPS as an option. Here's his reply

"I've always been told by overseas buyers that UPS adds extra taxes on the import? I've been told by many overseas buyers to never use UPS for that reason, is that not your experience?

I've replied that yes UPS do charge you but you do at least have an option to either use them or not.

I ordered the sigma 50A from B&H, it shipped via UPS. UPS actually called me when it was still stateside when they were filling the customs declaration form. There was an £18 brokerage surcharge for that privilege. They want the money (tax and duty inc) cash on delivery, you can call up by phone by I've been told that line is awful, and always busy.

Last edited:
I ordered the sigma 50A from B&H, it shipped via UPS. UPS actually called me when it was still stateside when they were filling the customs declaration form. There was an £18 brokerage surcharge for that privilege. They want the money (tax and duty inc) cash on delivery, you can call up by phone by I've been told that line is awful, and always busy.

Raymond your spot on there. All my RRS gear was UPS'd. As soon as it arrived at their Croydon depot I'd ring quoting the tracking number and pay there and then saving a lot of time. The drivers can only accept cash or cheque on the doorstep. Would have thought in this day & age a CC reader would have been the way to go.

Mine now cleared UK Customs as of 4.20pm yesterday. Excitement builds!!!. Ordered two RRS clamps to fit on the MM when it arrives so that I don't have to remove the L Plates on my bodies. Ordered last Thursday. At my door Monday. UPS again!!

My Moneymaker took 7 weeks to arrive, after it apparently got lost - whether that's true or not I'm not quite sure. The CS is poor from Holdfast but Matthew and his wife are the only employees and it's a startup, so I cut a bit of slack. But interesting to see other people having problems.

Back