Can you help with my over exposure problem?

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone. I went for a roll around the local park on Saturday. I took my EOS650 loaded with HP4 and left my 90D at home - so that I didn't get a set of duplicate photos. It was a cold day and the wheelchair just about managed the path down to the lake. I met a couple of other keen photographers - one with a 7D and 100-400 semi-pro lens. The other had an 80D (as I used to have). I have to admit that neither thought it was strange that I was using film so maybe I am not as much on my own as I thought. However, the 7D person thought that B&W was a bit limiting. I explained that developing colour negs was a lot more difficult than B&W - little did I know what was coming!

I got some nice shots at the lake - there was a heron and a cormorant around plus some Mandarin ducks. I missed my 55-250 as the 35 - 80 on the 650 wasn't long enough for the birds.

On developing the film I found a problem. When I hung the negatives up to dry, I could see that there was a problem. I was taken back to my early days with a Zenith SLR with no light meter - the film looked quite over exposed. What I need is some expert opinion here. When I developed the first film, I used the pre-pack Ilford chemicals that come in the Patterson equipment box but they are all (apart from the wetting agent) one shot packs. This time, I have bought some bottles of Ilford chemicals which I have had to sort out myself. So the big question is - did I get the processing wrong or was there something wrong with the settings on the camera - I admit to using the camera with gloves on and I might have put it in the wrong mode.

Anyway, here is one of the images both before and after photoshop. Although the after is "OK" is doesn't have that nice graduation of tones that one loves in a nice B&W shot.

So, any ideas as to why this roll should have been so over-exposed when the last roll was perfect? Me, camera, developing?

David

Attachments

• heron dark.jpg
    heron dark.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 22
  • heron ok.jpg
    heron ok.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 22
Welcome to Talk Photography. What exact Ilford developer did you use, and what dev. time? I assume you were processing at around 20°C also can you recall what camera settings you used for that photo and was it a bright or dull day?

BTW if it's dark it is underexposed

Hi David, welcome to TP!

The EOS650 I had was bob on at exposure so I doubt it's a fault with the camera. The processed version looks ok, so I reckon your developing method is fine.

In addition to Chris' questions, you mention using "HP4". Do you mean FP4 or HP5? Was it in date?
Did you use the right ISO in the camera? (you can probably check it now unless you've changed it since you got back)

I'd guess that the photos look to be about 3 stops under-exposed, maybe even 4. Some suggestions...

Using tap water to mix the dev straight out of the cold tap without heating it.
Exposure compensation set to -3 in the camera for some reason from the last time you used it. Probably still in that state now if you haven't changed anything.
Massively expired film. If it was HP4 it would be from around the 60s/70s which would make it about 50 years out of date. Expired film needs more light.

Hope that helps!

Edit, I'm sure you know this but... if you have a 90D any EF lenses will work on the 650. And I did an experiment with an EF-S lens and that worked too apart from the vignetting corners due to the smaller image circle of the EF-S lens.

Last edited:
Sorry couple of mistakes. Underexposed of course. I meant HP5. I bought two new rolls from Wet recently so it is new stuff. I mixed the developer using 68f water.

Developer was Ilford ID11; IlfoStop; Rapid Fixed and their wetting agent - all new.

Developer 1-4 for 9 mins with 10 agitations every minute;
Stop 1-19 for 30 seconds
Fixer 1 - 4 for 5 mins with 10 agitations per minute
Wash twice with 5 inversions; one with wetting agent and 5 inversions.

Looking at the camera now, I am inclined to think that I got some setting wrong. I have looked at the manual (downloaded from the Internet) and I think I assumed it was on the automatic settings but now not sure. I have now ordered two new rolls of FP4 from Wex and should get them for the weekend when there is a "Postcard Art" exhibition on in the same park so I will go along with both cameras and see what happens!

Attached is an image from my first run with the camera and same film. Every image was perfectly exposed!

Thanks for the comments. I am hoping that it is as simple as the settings!

David

Attachments

• IMG_20220130_0006.jpg
    IMG_20220130_0006.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Just as a check I would point a digital camera out of the window with the ISO at 125 (for FP4+) and say f8 and note the shutter speed. I would then point the film camera at the same scene (check ISO is 125), f8 and see if it gives a similar shutter speed, at least then you will know that the EOS650 meter is roughly correct.

Back