Canon 1100D Owners Thread

Hi thanks, I also like motor sport and will be doing a bit of that soon, I also like scenery (if that the best way to describe it) so you would recommend the 500 for this? I will have to save for a wee while haha. Where would you recommend to get it from? :)
Also thanks Lewis that lens does seem very popular, but again where would you Rex omen to get it from for a decent price?
Thanks

Different places offer different prices but i paid to have it from jessop, next day and its totally wonderful lens.

Lewis is your sigma a hsm lens and what model is it as they usually are superb lens.

For reference all the photos i took on last page are with the big sigma unless stated otherwise.

Only the dog and moon and bee are other lens

Also what might be worth looking at if you don't want to spend a massive amount them the sigma 120-400 could be a good lens, very good too

Just looked and looks like none of the 70-300 lens have the hsm photos which will be why they dont focus fast

If you are on a budget then the canon 55-250 is a good choice. It hasn't got the range the others have but can be picked up for just over £100 and takes decent pictures :)

The 50mm f1.8 is brilliant for the price also.

Dalegt4 I have slight lens envy :D

Mine no longer cuts it. Excuse my £6 velbon tripod...

822255A3-0522-4CBF-9B8A-F4C448A4467E-19882-00001DD939A08445.jpg

Last edited:
Haha no need for lens envy!

I have my 70-300 too but love this lens, its something else really.

But to be honest unless motorsport or long range wildlife its pointless for most people.

A 300mm is more than capable of producing good motorsport images too

Ok that's great thanks :D I will try and get the 50mm f1.8 soon and just play around with my other two for now :) thanks

just one of the moon with the big Sigma.. the detail is stunning, shows what the camera can do with a good lens attached to the end of it, hand held too so shows how good the sigma stabillity is too.

moooon.jpg

admittedly this is cropped in so all the better that the quality is still there

thanks very much! :)

picture is taken on the big sigma 500mm, on our cameras crop sensor it equates to about near 800mm

No problem.

Remember though that its not the lens that makes the picture, you need full manual control and know you camera and lens to take proper photos or you will need alot of alteration later.

Well it is the lens as a good lens make a massive difference, but with moon shots if you let our camera do the full auto or anything it will make a right naff job of the photo, UN take great moon pics i take a massive amount at varying shutter speed and aperture to get an image that i like best.

Secondly the 300mm lens can take ok images again just crop the image once taken in vbviewer

Last edited:
Ok brilliant thanks for the advice, if I can see the moon tonight I will go try and take a few photos and if they work I'll let you all see them:)

Its not very good because i still trying to find out how to use my manual settings, but here my moon taken with my 75-300 lens so def no where near as good as yours dalegt4,
This the cropped one

IMG_0989.jpg

Here the original:

IMG_0989-1.jpg

you will get there with practice,

heres what the 300 can do, the 75-300mm one i took ages ago

205262_10150965450959677_2060519343_n.jpg

1100D owner here!!! been using mine now for many situations but taking photos for work is my main reason why i bought it.

here is a photo taken with the 18-55mm lens earlier today.

IMG_6961 by Aquacards, on Flickr

I don't need a better camera (well for now anyways) ;-) Maybe better lens tho.

Good to know I'm not the only newbie with a 1100D

I don't need a better camera (well for now anyways) ;-) Maybe better lens tho.

Good to know I'm not the only newbie with a 1100D

aye no need for a better camera for sure, the camera can take superb pictures, if your going anything upto 30" prints you will be fine... which are big.

This is why i am keeping my 1100d to go with either the 60d or a 7d dependant on which i prefer when i get round to trying both, the 1100 is a super camera

you just need some good lens kits and the image will be twice as sharp.

Last edited:
and in any scenario too, these where the very first outing with the camera, ive always took photos all my life but the first time out with the canon and with a kit lens too.

IMG_1502.jpg

cocking its leg
IMG_1415.jpg

Just got my nifty fifty today. Wow I love it. Anyone who just has the kit lens will be astonished by the difference in iq

Another proud owner of the 1100d here.

Have recently gone a bit mad on lenses so equipment list is:
Eos 1100d
Canon 50mm f1.8 mk1
Canon 18-55mm
Canon 50mm f1.4 usm (bought it yesterday, so far so good!)
Tamron 18-200mm XR Di II
Tamron 70-300mm Di
Sigma 170-500mm APO
Jessops 2x teleconverter
Raynox DCR250 Macro lens
Manfrotto 293 tripod
Various filters.

Quite pleased with my setup so far as I've only been taking photo's since the beginning of May!!!

some good photos on this thread im a 1100d owner to i have the kit lens and a 70-300 sigma, i will prob go after a bigma after the year as its to near xmass for me to start buying lenses just now here is a photo or 2 from me

here is a fast snap shot of 1 of my sons holding a can of nae danger lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoochy1/8031927391/in/photostream

and 1 of a tram at summerlee near glasgow

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoochy1/8015209951/in/photostream

and the last 1 is a hdr ish type photo from summerlee it wont be to every 1s taste as a lot of toggers prefer just a touch of hdr and not cartoon/kids books type of hdrs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoochy1/8019861541/in/photostream

Hello, another happy owner here, I bought mine last december after getting the money for it from my birthday.

I have a small collection, including:
EOS 1100D
EF-S 18-55mm kit lens
EF-S 17-85mm IS USM lens bought from the classifieds
EF 28-80mm lens bought from the classifieds but doesn't get used so I will be giving it to my grandad for his camera
And a Sigma 55-200mm lens again bought from the classifieds
Mainly housed in my Lowepro Slingshot 102 AW apart from the 28-80mm which is in a Hama lens case.
I also have a selection of coloured filters + 2 CPL's and a variable ND filter.
A flashgun will be added at christmas

Last edited:
Got an 1100d t'other because a) they are dirt cheap and b) carrying the 1dsmk2 is a chore when it not for work...

Thought it was going to be passed on to my Son pretty much immediately but I quite like it, it will fit nicely as my 'compact' carry everywhere camera.

8053063651_d48222d6f3.jpg

Got an 1100d t'other because a) they are dirt cheap and b) carrying the 1dsmk2 is a chore when it not for work...

Thought it was going to be passed on to my Son pretty much immediately but I quite like it, it will fit nicely as my 'compact' carry everywhere camera.

8053063651_d48222d6f3.jpg

Nice pic David

+1 on that nice photo what was the lens used ?

yep thout it would be a L lens the quality of the L lenses are awesome

good quality image.

you should know owning the other camera that you do that the glass is more than just as important as the body now days unless doing a enormous print

:)

good shot, very clear

Back