Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

The battery will only recalibrate when that option comes up when you stick it in the charger....you can't force it to do it just because it's only showing moderate.

Frankly I doubt that it makes much difference to the performance, but I seem to remember Canon Bob who has a better technical knowledge on these matters than I gave a more in depth response once on this subject.

Let's hope he sees this post!!

George.

I read something on the website that it will only do recalibration if the battery is exhausted. As George says, perhaps Canon Bob will chime in.

I don't think it has to be exhausted completely, although of course when it goes through the recalibration process it will discharge completely, and as I said, this will only happen when in the camera in the menu you look at the battery charge it will tell you to recalibrate next time you recharge it.

Found this which explains it better...

Keeping batteries in top working order requires that they are calibrated from time to time. By calibrating batteries, you ensure that they hold their charge and also you are able to accurately report how well the batteries hold their charge when in the camera. When performing a calibration charge with the LP-E19, the charger will fully deplete the battery and then fully charge it. It is best to begin the process when you have time, as it will take around 18-19hrs in total. To maximise the performance of the calibration charge, begin calibration with an almost exhausted battery.

I don't think it does George.. How I read that is, it's saying I can / could manually calibrate, its dent mention that the camera / charger needs to activate the cal blinkies.

I have the manual in iBooks and have gone over and over it, hence I posted on here if people have a better understanding to it.. lol

My understanding (based on earlier 1srs bodies) is that the camera sets a status bit in the battery that is needed for the charger to initiate a calibration cycle and I'm not aware of any way to manually set the required bit although some text does seem to imply (without explanation) that one can choose to calibrate at will.

Definitely call Elstree and get a returns label, that'll come by email, and they'll arrange a pickup.

Anybody using the WFT-E8 for remote shooting via the app.? Looking at getting one, feedback would be helpful.
In truth I found Canons implementation of WFT to be cumbersome and unreliable.
I wound up buying a very long Ethernet cable and, whilst trailing it from my laptop is a bit messy, it works much better and a lot faster.

No joy with Canon today, they just said refer to the manual.!! Not very helpful if you ask me.

Well after hunting around in the on line manual I found the appropriate page and the screenshots won't load on here so trying something else. If it still doesn't show p45 of the manual. There is another one but I will see if this one 'holds' first. Third bullet point.

1565864674156.png

Last edited:
And here is the second page. I also read that if it loses charges very quickly after charging then it has reached the end of its service life. I could find nothing about enabling you to calibrate it without the green light flashing. Perhaps ring somewhere like Lehman's in Stoke - a CPS service centre - and ask them. 01782 413611.

1565864823427.png

Last edited:
Well after hunting around in the on line manual I found the appropriate page and the screenshots won't load on here so trying something else. If it still doesn't show p45 of the manual. There is another one but I will see if this one 'holds' first. Third bullet point.

View attachment 252592

You can only press the cal button if the cal green light is flashing, you can’t manually calibrate the batteries, which is what I’m trying to do..

In truth I found Canons implementation of WFT to be cumbersome and unreliable.
I wound up buying a very long Ethernet cable and, whilst trailing it from my laptop is a bit messy, it works much better and a lot faster.

I like your thinking, not sure I want to cart my laptop around with the rest of my kit as well, I’ve got enough to carry.. lol

You can only press the cal button if the cal green light is flashing, you can’t manually calibrate the batteries, which is what I’m trying to do..
So, reading the handbook, I guess that means that your battery is toast. Maybe try ringing the phone number i put up.

Last edited:
Camera has activated the "calibration needed" as did the charger, Popped it in run the calibration, Hey presto back up to 3 green indicators :) Just need the other 2 batteries to do the same..

Well, I've finally joined the 1DX Mkii club (thanks to a fine purchase from robinslee) :)
Just getting to grips with this new lump, and already seeing a major improvement in AF speed and noise performance over my 7Dii.
My main objective is improvement in my Birds-In-Flight photography using my Canon 300mm 2.8ii lens with either the x1.4 or x2 Canon Mkiii extenders. I already miss the reach of the 7D2, but the image quality with the 1DXii makes up for it somewhat.
Now wondering if I should consider swapping my 300mm lens for a 400mm DO Mkii when funds allow.

Russ

Well, I've finally joined the 1DX Mkii club (thanks to a fine purchase from robinslee) :)
Just getting to grips with this new lump, and already seeing a major improvement in AF speed and noise performance over my 7Dii.
My main objective is improvement in my Birds-In-Flight photography using my Canon 300mm 2.8ii lens with either the x1.4 or x2 Canon Mkiii extenders. I already miss the reach of the 7D2, but the image quality with the 1DXii makes up for it somewhat.
Now wondering if I should consider swapping my 300mm lens for a 400mm DO Mkii when funds allow.

Russ

For Birds in Flight usually more reach is always good so sounds a sensible upgrade plan. Maybe try renting or borrowing one to try to see how you like it first?

Russ
grats buddy suddenly why I use the word brick becomes clear;)

and in answer to you question................ lord it's tough:LOL: if you aren't going to miss the low light of f2.8 Russ if you need reach more than that........ then the DO is worth the upgrade. My DO handles better than the 300 is leastways for me on a 1 series body. The 300 2.8 is up there for sharps if the DO is lesser it's hard to see !!

Even though it's a mark two lens and you have those big 1 series batteries you want strength in light to really make the 2 X sing mate,i'm not really technical but you need that here . F8 can be limitng when it's grey here. As with the 300 IQ takes a slight hit over the 1.4 , with the 2X but it's a very capable combo . Ha 800mm on a full frame body that handles so well is VERY useful:D .

Russ bar the second hand market look for black friday deals end of november................... I managed a 3 year canon warrenty a grand or so off then list price and a couple of years interest free to ease the pain,which is all but sorted. It was a game buying it Russ but three years of no worry and 20 or so percent off made it a good choice for me. I part exed the 300 The facet you loose is a 300 lens at 2.8 wide open which with crepuscular beasties is what I miss. I don't think I can find another negative Russ. I'd gladly ping ya a RAW or two at the weekend if it helps,

I think the boken is slightly different in some stronger backlit situations ie the,specular hilights in particular with the DO tech to the more conventional design . From what I know of what you shoot Russ, I think this might work well for you. what you shoot it's quite different to me in some ways and funnily enough I've just said it's a bit of a niche lens,but having come a similar route I can't find any real negatives bar more blummiin money:LOL:

grats buddy suddenly why I use the word brick becomes clear;)

and in answer to you question................ lord it's tough:LOL: if you aren't going to miss the low light of f2.8 Russ if you need reach more than that........ then the DO is worth the upgrade. My DO handles better than the 300 is leastways for me on a 1 series body. The 300 2.8 is up there for sharps if the DO is lesser it's hard to see !!

Even though it's a mark two lens and you have those big 1 series batteries you want strength in light to really make the 2 X sing mate,i'm not really technical but you need that here . F8 can be limitng when it's grey here. As with the 300 IQ takes a slight hit over the 1.4 , with the 2X but it's a very capable combo . Ha 800mm on a full frame body that handles so well is VERY useful:D .

Russ bar the second hand market look for black friday deals end of november................... I managed a 3 year canon warrenty a grand or so off then list price and a couple of years interest free to ease the pain,which is all but sorted. It was a game buying it Russ but three years of no worry and 20 or so percent off made it a good choice for me. I part exed the 300 The facet you loose is a 300 lens at 2.8 wide open which with crepuscular beasties is what I miss. I don't think I can find another negative Russ. I'd gladly ping ya a RAW or two at the weekend if it helps,

I think the boken is slightly different in some stronger backlit situations ie the,specular hilights in particular with the DO tech to the more conventional design . From what I know of what you shoot Russ, I think this might work well for you. what you shoot it's quite different to me in some ways and funnily enough I've just said it's a bit of a niche lens,but having come a similar route I can't find any real negatives bar more blummiin money:LOL:

- Stu many thanks for your considered response, as always :)
- I now feel I should really get to grips with the (1DXii + 300f2.8ii + X2iii extender) combo in order to get the best out of my investment, and stop dreaming about another lens (the grass is not always greener). I well remember how long it took for me to get the best out of my previous (7Dii + 300f2.8) combo - particularly for BIF shots. So, I'll make the most of the remaining summer / autumn sun and think about a 400 DO perhaps next year. Who knows, I might even have a complete change and go Mirrorless :banghead:

Russ

Last edited:
:cool: That's sound thinking Russ gotta say I can't argue with that. I loved me old lens Russ if I was rich enough I'd have kept it I hated parting with it. the fact that the old girl was no longer supported by canon ,was huge for me,beyond the wants of us togs. I felt with my luck I might end up with a very costly paper weight. I'd probably still have it if it was the same version as yours.

you are very welcome mate:)

Hi all,

I've just picked up a pretty mint used 1DX2 from LCE and have been giving it a trial run. I've noticed an issue where the camera will momentarily pause, trigger sensor cleaning and then be fine again. Almost as if it suddenly lost battery voltage or something. I've not been able to pin it down to particular behaviour yet, and I've had it happen now on 2 different batteries.

There's not some odd setting whereby sensor cleaning can kick in without shutdown cycle is there? Otherwise I'm thinking there might be a battery issue going on...

Cheers,
Mark

Hi all,

I've just picked up a pretty mint used 1DX2 from LCE and have been giving it a trial run.

.... I am probably about to sell my 1DX-2 and would want to offer it at a price which is fair to both a buyer and myself. Would you be happy to tell me how much you bought it for please? Private message?

Hi all,

There's not some odd setting whereby sensor cleaning can kick in without shutdown cycle is there? Otherwise I'm thinking there might be a battery issue going on...

Cheers,
Mark

Not personally heard of this before - and never experienced it. What's the battery status on the camera? 3 green squares? Does it say it needs calibration?

I suspect that there's an electronic problem or contact problem within the body, Mark. There's also an outside chance that a momentary short circuit in the lens could dip the voltage briefly.....worth confirming that it happens with different lenses.

Bob

Nope, all lights green, no calibration needed. Just seems to occasionally randomly power cycle. Tried with a different battery, same behaviour. Nothing in the camera status log either.

Back