Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

After few weeks with the cameras - and having been able to test them in familiar and new situations.
The ISO is somewhat better and the colours stay vivid/contrasty up to a higher ISO than on mkI.
Biggest advantage for me has been using the bodies with the Canon 200-400mm f4 (with 1.4x extender built-in).
Just the fact I can jump few ISO levels up - and still get really clean looking images at f4 or f5.6. .. it really has been a bonus.

Also, the AF video, and using that at times to grab a JPEG (for web publishing) - it really does work brilliantly.
Not sure that is something you would be allowed to use in DataCo regulated events???
But you really can grab a very decent JPEG from the video footage, while recording 60fps!
I will try to post a sample of this one at some point!

The AF is locking in on targets and keeping them in focus.
Today have been using it for the first time at swimming at the LEN Europeans in London... and where as I struggled at times with the mkI to keep focus as the swimmers sprayed water.
Today the 'hit rate' has been excellent.

Naturally each of us need to weigh whether the extra cost of this one is practical to upgrade from lets say 1DX mkI ...

As I've mentioned before, for me it has paid off. Having abled me to sell my video camcorder - as now I can do everything with one body.
(helps on those budget airlines - when traveling with hand luggage only)

But as always, it is up to the individual... I still know guys who only last year upgraded from Canon 1Dii mkN (and most of them produced some stunning images!!).
So perhaps it has more to do with the person behind the camera ;-)

That's a very interesting post, so you are saying, I think, that there is 1-2 stops of noise improvement and a better AF system if I read your post correctly!

Are you just using the same case settings you used on the Mk1? and just centre point or plus surroundings?

Thanks for doing this, it's a great help to get real world experience rather than just numbers and lab tests!!

Last edited:
still waiting for mine from jessops been told next week or Friday this week though :)

Certainly seems to me like the equivalent of a 1DX N as it just seems to have all the niggles sorted out and in general a more reliable and dependable camera.
My favourite 1 series has always been the 1D MKIIN as it just worked and this gives the same sort of confidence again in my two weeks of ownership.

1/
i-5JNqt7t-XL.jpg

2/
i-Bxng5dM-XL.jpg

3/
i-fCRDdGF-XL.jpg

4/
i-rB8JtvV-XL.jpg

5/
i-gZnHNzr-XL.jpg

6/
i-vKh2Bvt-XL.jpg

Glen, are you finding the same af mode settings as you had on the mk 1 work on the mk 2?

George

That's a very interesting post, so you are saying, I think, that there is 1-2 stops of noise improvement and a better AF system if I read your post correctly!

Are you just using the same case settings you used on the Mk1? and just centre point or plus surroundings?

Thanks for doing this, it's a great help to get real world experience rather than just numbers and lab tests!!

From my 'real world' usage I'd say I personally see 1 -2 stop noise improvement... whether that's my use of it, or something technical. I don't know.. all I see is cleaner images at Higher ISO.
the lab tests, etc... I don't pay much attention to them.. what really matters is how the camera performs for you. So for that.. the money was well spent for me.

AF is better - the 1DX mkI did a great job, and this just has improved it to the '1DM mkIIn' level :)
Maybe wrong way to put it.. but it really is the best since that model (for me).

As for settings - for AF I use the same as I did for the mkI.
Otherwise there is lots of little extra bits that are different and have taken some time to set-up ... can't say whether they setting I have now are the ones I stick with.
Still few tweaks to be done for sure...

I have a 1ds MkII and due to a small inheritance pot , i might be allowed to treat myself to a new camera. I tend to do family/event shoots but hobbywise, travel/sightseeing (architecture and historical).
I'm looking to see how much of an improvement over the 1dsmkii the 1dxII would be.
focus speeds, image quality, dynamic range...

does it use the same battery also?

I am meanwhile also thinking about taking the new pentax - but the pain of learning a new system and trying to go for all new glass is not something I would look forward to.

Your lucky I've had no E mails or phone calls even my CPS rep is unable to give me a date for delivery :(
only because I'm good friends with the area manager that's the only reason I know about mine

I have a 1ds MkII and due to a small inheritance pot , i might be allowed to treat myself to a new camera. I tend to do family/event shoots but hobbywise, travel/sightseeing (architecture and historical).
I'm looking to see how much of an improvement over the 1dsmkii the 1dxII would be.
focus speeds, image quality, dynamic range...

does it use the same battery also?

I am meanwhile also thinking about taking the new pentax - but the pain of learning a new system and trying to go for all new glass is not something I would look forward to.

Hi, you'd see a massive difference going from the 1 Ds mk2 to either the 1 Dx or, from all accounts, the 1 Dx mk2.....From memory, the 1 Ds mk2 had an 16 Mp sensor, and the rear screen is by modern standards, tiny.

Unfortunately Canon changed the battery from the 1 Ds mk2 to the 1 Ds mk3, and it's remained the same physical size ever since on the 1 series, but the capacity has changed.

I think you'd be best trying one out for yourself at a dealer (when they become available!!!) and I think you'd be surprised at the difference.

George

Glen, are you finding the same af mode settings as you had on the mk 1 work on the mk 2?

George

In all honesty George i have not changed a thing other than adding copyright info and A/F orientation etc.The standard case setting seem to work a load better hence why all along i have compared it with the MKIIN as that also just worked straight out of the box.

I wouldn't say that the difference in either ISO or Dynamic range is massive between the two 1DX models but the quality of colour and almost film like grain rather than noise is remarkable compared to the 1DX which i still have now as a backup but also a lot easier to deal with in post.

The biggest difference with A/F is that it actually knows which way your subject is moving now so doesn't have the annoying tendency to go the opposite way to your subject any more which always seemed to happen on the shots you really needed.

A lot has been put into getting images of the camera quicker with less post and while i cant see a massive difference between RAW images from both cameras the jpeg's are almost RAW file quality so what ever Canon have done in camera be it chip or something else it makes a difference to getting images out quick with minimal post especially as now you can crop and resize in camera then just send via wireless transfer.

I dont do video in all honesty but the total package offered by this camera just works and the last camera i ever had that ticked all the boxes in the same manor was the 1D MKIIN and i firmly believe Canon have hit that nail on the head again with this model.

I've got one (y)
I'm coming from a 7D mk1 so this thing is quite astounding.
My first outing last night I was testing out the autofocus tracking, I'm just amazed at how accurate it is.

My only observation so far, is that the viewfinder doesn't always appear to be 'pin sharp', but the images are? difficult to explain, but it makes me wonder if it's locked on properly - obviously it has, because the images are fine, and there is no reason to be oof in the viewfinder - maybe it's something I'll adapt to, but I do find it quite odd.

My only observation so far, is that the viewfinder doesn't always appear to be 'pin sharp', but the images are?

Assuming that you've adjusted the diopter to your eyesight then it's possible that the focusing screen isn't seated correctly.

Bob

Yea, it shouldn't be like that, the viewfinder should be pin sharp...

anybody tried the iTr on this model?.....general consensus was on the old body it wasn't much use and I don't think anyone here used it, wondered if it is better on the mk 2?

Still waiting for mine however canon have informed my local camera shop that there is now an updated shipping list and so far mine is been shipped on the 21 of this month

Mine's sitting waiting for me at home, and I'm away for a week!!

Very interested to compare with the mk1.

Right, got a new 'anomaly'.... or at least to me! lol
Was out last night c. 11pm, clear black skies, and I'm trying to get a shot of jupiter - it's bright so I'm trying to up the shutter speed - I kept raising and raising, but it was still a bright blob in the sky.
I then noticed that (for example), I set the shutter to 1/4000, and the instant it takes the picture, the camera drops down to 1/40 and takes the image.

The only way I could get it to not do this was to use full Manual.... is there a setting to stop Tv doing this? or is this behaviour seen on the 1dx too? - I've come from a 7D so not sure if this is some feature designed to try to help me... "it's dark out there, 1/4000 won't help,. so use this speed instead" type thing.

Visited my local pro dealer yesterday and asked them about stocks. Told me that they hadn't even had one in. Canon kept telling them they were getting them and then, on the day, no delivery. Canon came up with a different excuse each time. He said it's got to the point where he has stopped telling the people that have pre ordered that it is supposed to be here on such and such a date as it's embarrassing to then have to tell them it's not arrived.

I know that Canon will be prioritising the Olympics but it's a shambles that some dealers are supplying and some can't even get one body. You would think that they would even it out a bit.

Poor show Canon, but it's what's expected of companies these days. No customer commitment.

Visited my local pro dealer yesterday and asked them about stocks. Told me that they hadn't even had one in. Canon kept telling them they were getting them and then, on the day, no delivery. Canon came up with a different excuse each time. He said it's got to the point where he has stopped telling the people that have pre ordered that it is supposed to be here on such and such a date as it's embarrassing to then have to tell them it's not arrived.

I know that Canon will be prioritising the Olympics but it's a shambles that some dealers are supplying and some can't even get one body. You would think that they would even it out a bit.

Poor show Canon, but it's what's expected of companies these days. No customer commitment.

You're presuming your Pro Dealer is telling you the truth

You're presuming your Pro Dealer is telling you the truth

He is, or he's giving the bodies to his mates. I have a mate who is number one on his pre order list and he's not got his.

Why would he lie? it wouldn't do his business any good if he was found to be not fulfilling commitments to pre orders after taking their money would it.

I had suspicious thoughts re the dealer I pre ordered through.
I was number 3 on their list and they said they had had one making me me now 2nd.
Ordered on 31st March.
Their Canon rep told them they would get some Friday 3rd.
I decided to phone Canon HQ Reigate.
Turns out my suspicions of them selling to "new money coming through their door" was unfounded. Phew :)
Canon HQ told me what they knew about deliveries and expected deliveries to the company I have ordered through and about other main dealers and I wasn't lied to.
I am getting mine this Tuesday as they have got it at the dealers but I asked to have it sent with the new lens at the same time, 16-35 f/4 L
Story is direct from Canon HQ they are extremely overwhelmed with ordered not expecting the uptake to have been as high due to so many original 1dx's were sold and the slight upgrade in features they didn't expect such demand.
So they are dishing out in percentages as evenly as possible to the main Canon dealers first.
Meaning some dealers have preferred ordered 200 and some 30 and so they are going around the country in a 360 degree circle again and again and say giving the 50 or so they get each week into the UK to each area with a pre order of 200 Vs 30 the 200 will get 10 Vs the 1 for the pre ordered 30.
So if you're after one just hope your dealer is one that has a larger one order than another in your area. Which is the West country Cornwall etc.

I had suspicious thoughts re the dealer I pre ordered through.
I was number 3 on their list and they said they had had one making me me now 2nd.
Ordered on 31st March.
Their Canon rep told them they would get some Friday 3rd.
I decided to phone Canon HQ Reigate.
Turns out my suspicions of them selling to "new money coming through their door" was unfounded. Phew :)
Canon HQ told me what they knew about deliveries and expected deliveries to the company I have ordered through and about other main dealers and I wasn't lied to.
I am getting mine this Tuesday as they have got it at the dealers but I asked to have it sent with the new lens at the same time, 16-35 f/4 L
Story is direct from Canon HQ they are extremely overwhelmed with ordered not expecting the uptake to have been as high due to so many original 1dx's were sold and the slight upgrade in features they didn't expect such demand.
So they are dishing out in percentages as evenly as possible to the main Canon dealers first.
Meaning some dealers have preferred ordered 200 and some 30 and so they are going around the country in a 360 degree circle again and again and say giving the 50 or so they get each week into the UK to each area with a pre order of 200 Vs 30 the 200 will get 10 Vs the 1 for the pre ordered 30.
So if you're after one just hope your dealer is one that has a larger one order than another in your area. Which is the West country Cornwall etc.

My local dealer I'd just a small dealer. He will be lucky to fulfil his preorders from the sound of that. I'm going to wait untill they become more widely available. It's the same story every time from Canon. New camera and they don't make enough for people to buy. Same with 5D3, 7D MkII, original 1DX.

PPP Canon. Pull your finger out.

Got mine yesterday and haven't had much chance to play, but the main reason I was interested was the f8 performance as I want to use it with the 400 DO mk2 and a 2x adaptor....but f8 with the mk1 was only reliable in good light.

Initial tests show that the mk2 is in a different league, I can af in very poor lighting and there's no hunting as I was getting with the mk1, and looks to have been designed from the floor up to perform at f8.

You will remember that the mk1 didn't af at f8 initially, and that was only added at a later date, and this is immensely improved.

Looking forward to more playing!!

Looking through the menu on rear screen and came across the shutter count fresh out of box and 1328!
Anyone else around this figure? Another person on a FB page said theirs was 1000 exactly.
Regards the f/8 exposure, mucking about and found it to lock near instant last night at 9.45pm indoors no lights just near darkness and some basic light from sunset barely creeping in and instant focus at f/8.
Coming from a 1d mk iv this is light years ahead.
The pure lack of noise at ISO 25600 when even at 3200 it was not really usable on the mk iv will be allowing me to take clean shots I wouldn't even bother thinking of before.

Looking through the menu on rear screen and came across the shutter count fresh out of box and 1328!
Anyone else around this figure? Another person on a FB page said theirs was 1000 exactly.
Regards the f/8 exposure, mucking about and found it to lock near instant last night at 9.45pm indoors no lights just near darkness and some basic light from sunset barely creeping in and instant focus at f/8.
Coming from a 1d mk iv this is light years ahead.
The pure lack of noise at ISO 25600 when even at 3200 it was not really usable on the mk iv will be allowing me to take clean shots I wouldn't even bother thinking of before.

Shutter count is bizarre...I don't know how you are getting an accurate count, mine just says "less than or equal to" 1000 and my file no was 1 when I took the first shot.

Certain as I can be that the box hadn't been opened, how are you getting a count, Simon?

George.

Certainly seems to me like the equivalent of a 1DX N as it just seems to have all the niggles sorted out and in general a more reliable and dependable camera.
My favourite 1 series has always been the 1D MKIIN as it just worked and this gives the same sort of confidence again in my two weeks of ownership.

1/
i-5JNqt7t-XL.jpg

2/
i-Bxng5dM-XL.jpg

3/
i-fCRDdGF-XL.jpg

4/
i-rB8JtvV-XL.jpg

5/
i-gZnHNzr-XL.jpg

6/
i-vKh2Bvt-XL.jpg
Glen, AMAZING captures my friend, wOOOw.

Regards;
Peter

The small lcd screen on the back of Mine said 680, but I did wonder if it had read something from the CF card I placed in it.

Any one got their free cfast card yet?

I am sure I read or saw that the 1DX2 had an intervalometer like the 7D2, but not being able to find it I assume it doesn't.

The f8 AF on the mk 1 was only a software change, but I believe it is a proper hardware implementation in the mk2.

Last edited:
The f8 AF on the mk 1 was only a software change said:
Actually a firmware change, Mark, and Canon at the release went to great lengths to tell me and others at Focus that f8 could never be implemented.....!!!

Back