Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

From a quick play on my way home tonight...

19228-1509485341-477e667dc406c3dabdbc46c0a02586d2.jpg

Who said the 5D MkI can't still deliver?

Except for cropping and saving from CR2 to jpeg quality level 11 this is absolutely as is off-camera...

19229-1509485721-2a3250d325a238300306ccd79a8a73ad.jpg

What I really do not understand is that I shot this at 2 seconds, ISO 100 and f/11 using my 21mm Distagon and I don't see any real diffusion softness...either my eyes are going or my technique is improving. I even attempted a half-baked effort at hyperfocal focusing...quite the thumbsuck when infinity is the next stop after 2m...

You mean diffraction?

If you do... I've taken pictures at f22 on FF, APS-C and MFT and been happy enough and personally I think that diffraction isn't something to worry too much about, assuming you get nice enough results after processing. I think you could have used a wider aperture than f11 though unless you were using this to lengthen the exposure.

Lovely picture though :D

You mean diffraction?

If you do... I've taken pictures at f22 on FF, APS-C and MFT and been happy enough and personally I think that diffraction isn't something to worry too much about, assuming you get nice enough results after processing. I think you could have used a wider aperture than f11 though unless you were using this to lengthen the exposure.

Lovely picture though :D
Thanks!

I have shot my 21Distagon mostly at 2.8 - 5.6 due to ugly softness but that could also have been poor technique.

I mostly shoot my 5D3...up to now anyway... and I thought the difference in resolution ( 5D 1 vs 3) was worth trying f/11 last night.

I will deffo revisit this for both bodies because going smaller than 5.6 WITH acceptible sharpness would be jolly nice!

You mean diffraction?

If you do... I've taken pictures at f22 on FF, APS-C and MFT and been happy enough and personally I think that diffraction isn't something to worry too much about

With what lenses?

I have seen some relatively credible articles that said very wide lenses should not be stopped down beyond roughly f/5.6... on that basis I have mostly shot my 21mm between 2.8 and 5.6.

Time to test that theory then?

I think that the best thing to is to try it and see if the results are acceptable for you. My comments above about diffraction were meant to be general and not specific to wider lenses. As I mentioned, I'd probably have attempted that shot at a wider aperture unless a slower shutter speed was what I was aiming for and for that reason going with a smaller aperture.

Back when I had Canon APS-C and FF cameras I had 50mm and 150mm macro lenses and they're the ones I used to stop down most. These days I have FF and MFT mirrorless and often use a 50mm macro stopped down or indeed sometimes other lenses but usually longer than 20mm.

To be honest I can't remember ever using wide lenses at small apertures for anything other than shutter speed (getting a slow one) as there's usually no need to stop down that far for depth of field.

Generally though I think that for me diffraction is mostly a non issue for me and usually overcome to my satisfaction by moving the contrast and saturation sliders about in CS5 :D

I think that the best thing to is to try it and see if the results are acceptable for you. My comments above about diffraction were meant to be general and not specific to wider lenses. As I mentioned, I'd probably have attempted that shot at a wider aperture unless a slower shutter speed was what I was aiming for and for that reason going with a smaller aperture.

Back when I had Canon APS-C and FF cameras I had 50mm and 150mm macro lenses and they're the ones I used to stop down most. These days I have FF and MFT mirrorless and often use a 50mm macro stopped down or indeed sometimes other lenses but usually longer than 20mm.

To be honest I can't remember ever using wide lenses at small apertures for anything other than shutter speed (getting a slow one) as there's usually no need to stop down that far for depth of field.

Generally though I think that for me diffraction is mostly a non issue for me and usually overcome to my satisfaction by moving the contrast and saturation sliders about in CS5 :D

I could spend a day trawling the archives OR I could simply go out, have fun and shoot some new comparative images AND have some fun with the new baby...

I recall looking at some very dodgy f/8 images and some rather atrocious f/11 images shot with my 21 on the 5D3.

I recently shot the occasional f/8 and was not completely displeased with the result and that was why I tried f/11 last night on the 5D1...

I think it was mostly technique on my side?

Unless you or anyone else could bring a good argument for a 12Mp FF 5D1 sensor yielding such different results from the 5D3’s 22Mp sensor with the very same lens?

Watch this space for some examples...

Unless you or anyone else could bring a good argument for a 12Mp FF 5D1 sensor yielding such different results from the 5D3’s 22Mp sensor with the very same lens?

Watch this space for some examples...

I'm not having a pop at your technique, I'm just suggesting that f11 may be a bit small for a 20mm lens for reasons of DoF and although the book says diffraction is a problem it may not necessarily be so. Another factor altogether is what people are happy with when pixel peeping. In the end it depends what you're happy with.

I'm not having a pop at your technique, I'm just suggesting that f11 may be a bit small for a 20mm lens for reasons of DoF and although the book says diffraction is a problem it may not necessarily be so. Another factor altogether is what people are happy with when pixel peeping. In the end it depends what you're happy with.

I am with you, understood that way. I am very willing to say that my technique probably DID SUCK...LOL...

Absolutely no offense remotely taken!!

Yep, DOF was never the reason, slower shutter speeds were because with a front filter size of 82mm it is not easy to find affordable ND’s that work without intruding into the image...

I used to be a serious pixel peeper...I am mostly cured fortunately.

I have made A1 prints from my 5D1’s in the past where I got actual print resolutions of mid 90 dpi or thereabouts and within any handheld viewing distance SLIGHT pixelation was only barely visible in high contrast areas when printed on canvas.

Much appreciate your inputs and comments! Any old way we slice this discussion I will take it as a reason / excuse to get out and shoot more!

Cheers!!

Anyone out there still shooting the 1Ds Mk II?

It might be better if you ask that question in a new Talk Equipment thread; 1DsII users who don't also own a 5Dc are unlikely to be following this thread.

It might be better if you ask that question in a new Talk Equipment thread; 1DsII users who don't also own a 5Dc are unlikely to be following this thread.

Very true, thanks!

Bought a 5D recently and it works fine, the mirror is working ok but has not had a mirror fix, so i sent it to Fixation to have the repair done and they have just contacted me saying,

'We are unable to do the mirror fix anymore as we don't have any more spare parts for the 5D'

Before i try anywhere else is there anyone on the forum who can perform this fix?

Thanks

Bought a 5D recently and it works fine, the mirror is working ok but has not had a mirror fix, so i sent it to Fixation to have the repair done and they have just contacted me saying,

'We are unable to do the mirror fix anymore as we don't have any more spare parts for the 5D'

Before i try anywhere else is there anyone on the forum who can perform this fix?

Thanks

Do you need it fixed, they do not all fail.

I don't know what OCD means, but I do not care, so my both 5D without a fix won't fail, I'm sure. ;)

OCD = Obsessive compulsive disorder, something that many of us suffer from to one degree or another.

Anyone still shooting with an 5D Mk1? Found these on my HDD tonight, going back to 2012!

Can't believe how I much I miss Canon colours! :(

I do. It is not my main camera but for certain situations I love the results in the same way that I enjoy my Fuji XPro1. They are classics for a reason.

Last year I've been on a tent trekking tour in Morocco and I carried two 5Ds and four lenses with me.

Here are some pictures from that journey:
www.flickr.com/photos/lenzmoser/albums/72157684514062773

I have no reason to regret leaving the 5D III at home, the image quality is still great. On the contrary, with a slight fall on the gravel, a 5d hit the ground and got a few scratches off, but continued to function normally. Scratches, no problem if the camera is old anyway, I would have cried on the 5D III. :D

Last edited:
Dave. Loved mine...often think of getting another..

Me too and then I remember how many times I was still at the computer at 2am cloning out dust bunnies.

Having said that I did like the 5D with Sigma 50mm f1.4. I took some of my favorite pictures with that combination.

Last edited:
Do you still have the 5d Peter
No Chris, sold it many years ago, these images above where taken around 2013. Quite a few of these pictures are shot with a Samyang 35mm. Been looking through my digital files and found these hiding.

Thanks;
Peter

I have still have mine both. Last week I went to town, with an old manual focus lens. 35mm f/2.8 and an adapter for M42 joint. Focussing is quite easy with an EG-S installed, but it takes some time until apterture an time are set: Would be easier if everything was shot with f/2.8 which is fine, but not always. ;)

Graz

Last edited:
I have still have mine both. Last week I went to town, with an old manual focus lens. 35mm f/2.8 and an adapter for M42 joint. Focussing is quite easy with an EG-S installed, but it takes some time until apterture an time are set: Would be easier if everything was shot with f/2.8 which is fine, but not always. ;)

Graz

I was always lead to believe the Ee focusing screen was best for manual focus, yet you say the EG-S, are you sure?

are you sure?
No, I think you're right, it's an Ee-S, thanks ;)

Ee-D ist the one with the grid, which I normally prefer, and Ee-A is the standard screen, right?

BTW, yesterday I went to town, with the Helios 44-2 58mm f/2.0. Works fine as long as you doesn't focus to infinity. I you do, the mirror goes up and remains there with viewfinder being blacked out. So I think I will not use it anymore.

But here it worked fine:

IMG_5939.jpg

Back