Canon 5D Mk2...i think i got it

Just curious as someone quite new to this dslr lark, but is it normal for there to be so many problems when a new camera is released... technical, software, and supply related?

It's a bit off-putting.

I think it's normal for any piece of technology. There are always going to be early adopters and there are always going to be those who wait a while because it's inevitable that there will be issues. It's not just for cameras, but the same applies to cars, TVs, computers etc. I wouldn't let it put you off. Games consoles are infamous for this kind of thing.

the other thing is this is a highly competitive market and the manufacturer can't just keep testing and testing at infinitum..., there comes a point where it has to start shipping and as said pick up the pieces later.

Which is why firmware is the fallback, just like patches are for computer games. The problem with relying on those too much is that it encourages complacency.

Sorry to jump slightly of the topic guys, but whats the sp on the 5mk1, are they going to keep production up or are they going to fade it out only have the MK2.

I wonder why, surely Canon would want to get their remaining stock off the shelves and out there rather than take them back in.

canon seems to be really daft...unless there's something they aren't telling us!!!

they get some spares stock back and create a shortage in anticipation of the mk.2, it's all marketting bo***x :)

you may not see any movement on your delivery until tuesday morning canon_togger but you will get it tuesday if Bentonville gave you that day for delivery

Well NO camera arrival today.
I contacted DHL who tell me that the item hasnt been picked up yet, they only got a consignment number request from Bentonville but no request to pick up.

So two whole weeks have passed since this mob took the full payment from my credit card and I'm still waiting. I've emailed him and I'm waiting for an explanation :shrug:

im sorry to hear that mate
i thought you had a tracking number for DHL?
i must admit i pestered bentonville almost every day about my camera...hope you can sort it soon

im sorry to hear that mate
i thought you had a tracking number for DHL?
i must admit i pestered bentonville almost every day about my camera...hope you can sort it soon

Yes he sent me a tracking number that never moved. Hence why I called DHL today who told me the above!

I've now emailed him to cancel the order as I've lost all faith in his ability to tell the truth or deliver this side of the new year.
I will now be contacting my credit card company to make sure I get a refund.

So it looks like Christmas is cancelled for me, thanks to BENTonvillemall :thumbsdown:

what can i say....that's a real downer:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

This place is cheap, and they have 20! in stock.. Here

This place is cheap, and they have 20! in stock.. Here

Not quite... This is what it says if you click the buy button :thinking:

Important, please read. This stock is arriving next Monday. Limited stock only!! Pre-order now to reserve one. Debit cards only please. Credit Cards will attract a sucharge

Right.. so their NEARLY instock.. lol..

Must admit I don't like the look of LambtaTek. Too good to be true prices, and they want you to pay with a Debit Card...

I would'nt chance it personally...

Must admit I don't like the look of LambtaTek. Too good to be true prices, and they want you to pay with a Debit Card...

I would'nt chance it personally...

Me neither.
I've had enough bother with bentonvillemall to put me off small companies :shake:
I'm now waiting for my credit card company to get my money back from them.

From DPR, someone who had ordered from them expecting delivery:

Dear xx,

I Just tried to ring you. I am very sorry to tell you that we have just been notified that against all expectations Canon have withdrawn their commitment to ship to our customers by Monday. And therefore have had to cancel your order .

This is an extremely embarrassing to us as a company and a time waste for both us and you, our valued customer, and I cannot begin to apologize enough for the disappointment and inconvenience this will almost certainly mean for you.

You payment has been VOIDED so no money will be taken from your card, although the "shadow" created on your card may remain for up to 3 working days, depending on your bank's policies.

Given the situation, I felt personally obliged to give you the bad news and apologies on behalf of our company. Given Canon's treatment of us, and our clients, I doubt very much I will allow LambdaTek to take backorders for Canon in the future to avoid further disappointments.

Best Regards,

Tom Felici,

Director

LambdaTek

perhaps this is a way for them to get out of giving them away at £1700!!

What are they retailing at just now? How much are people paying just now?

What are they retailing at just now? How much are people paying just now?

Retail price is £2,300.

I'm getting the 5D Mk II, BG-E6 battery grip and LP-E6 genuine Canon battery for £2,264.97 :)

Hmm, the lowest I've got is £2020 for the body only. How did you get a deal like that? pm me ;)

I've got it pre-ordered at £1799 with RGBTech (I don't expect to ever see this) and with Amazon.co.uk @ £1,895.85 (which I do expect to get)

1 item - delivery estimate: 13 Jan 2009 - 27 Jan 2009

Hmm, the lowest I've got is £2020 for the body only. How did you get a deal like that? pm me ;)

Thought it best to post here as i know a few peeps are gonna get one..

I'm getting mine from Digital Rev in Hong Kong. It is a risk, but they have repair centres in the UK under warranty.

Their customer service is superb as is their efficiency. Paid for the camera yesterday and bearing in mind HK is 8 hours ahead of us, the camera was already dispatched at about 3am our time, with a DHL tracking number, No VAT/Import Tax guarantee.

Also ordered a second LP-E6 official Canon battery for the grip.

Should be with me before Xmas Eve :woot:

Credit card company got my money refunded from Bentonvillemall.
Other people may have had successful dealings with them in the past, but from my own experience I will NEVER EVER purchase anything from that mob again.
If only they'd been honest and kept me updated, instead of untruths :bang:

Credit card company got my money refunded from Bentonvillemall.
Other people may have had successful dealings with them in the past, but from my own experience I will NEVER EVER purchase anything from that mob again.
If only they'd been honest and kept me updated, instead of untruths :bang:

An absolute bummer :(

Devastating when that happens, especially as it's a new camera. Shame the retailers don't understand that before giving false promises.

Hope it's sorted very soon, getting it from a different retailer.

Appears they've started to come into the UK in significant quantities now. Was speaking to Warehouse Express showroom assistant manager yesterday and over 300 arrived, with 262 fullfilling back orders :eek:

Dabs have there price up at £1836 inc VAT - Due in 1-2 weeks, but they will let you pre order at that price.

An absolute bummer :(

Devastating when that happens, especially as it's a new camera. Shame the retailers don't understand that before giving false promises.

Hope it's sorted very soon, getting it from a different retailer.

Appears they've started to come into the UK in significant quantities now. Was speaking to Warehouse Express showroom assistant manager yesterday and over 300 arrived, with 262 fullfilling back orders :eek:

I got mine today :woot: :clap:
Ordered from someone else on wednesday, arrived this morning.
Battery charging as I type :D

Just back with my new 5d mk2. Battery is charging right now. £1800, mates rates. :O

Also, if I'm going to spend nearly 2 grand on a camera, it could at least have a plastic connection covers that are attached to the camera. How long till I loose that one on the base of the camera?

Nice price KJ!! where was that from?

If anyone is still looking for one, MPB Photographic are advertising one (brand new, UK Stock) for £2099

I am in no way associated with them, but I have bought stuff from them before without any problems.

not bad, i saw one go on eBay UK the other day for £1900, and one yesterday for £2040

Back