Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

The current version is 1.1.3. Its probably worth getting that now if you are on a lower version. We cant be sure when the next one is coming out.
Canon originally said early April, but there was a service notice last month that said there would be an update in late April to fix the AF assist beam issue, i cant see them bringing two updates out in the same month.

It arrived yesterday! only had time to charge the battery read a little bit here and there from the manual, and have a quick play...BUT, what a step up from a 7D!!!!!didn't quite expect that! my head is spinning!!! thumbs up to Canon for approving my cashback claim within an hour of having the camera too!
Good work (y)
Now to sit here waiting for my Sigma 50mm to land on my desk!!!:)

Mine arrived this morning and I've yet to open the box. Also got my Canon EF 24 to 70mm F2.8 L USM Zoom Lens too, so a lot to play with :)

can you do me a favour when you open your 5D?
check what firmware yours has?
Mine has version 1.1.3 straight out of the box, just wondered if this should be correct.

Mine did too, this is the latest version

can you do me a favour when you open your 5D?
check what firmware yours has?
Mine has version 1.1.3 straight out of the box, just wondered if this should be correct.

Why would that worry you? What were you expecting?

Version 1.1.3 came out in June last year, and nothing since, so id be worried if a new camera brought recently didnt have this version.

I think that's what a lot of Retailers do, they make more money in buying the Kit for less and selling them individually for more.
Mine had 1.1.3 when I first opened it.

OK, no worries there.
bought from UK supplier, also i bought body only, and it came in a 24-105mm kit box:thinking:
serial numbers match (box to camera).
as long as it's new, working and kosher im not too bothered.
Think i'll connect to eoscount anyway to make 100% sure.

Mine came from HDEW in exactly the same packaging, ie 24-105 box. Also guaranteed for 3 yrs :)

Mine came from HDEW in exactly the same packaging, ie 24-105 box. Also guaranteed for 3 yrs :)

I was going to ---- ditto ---- mine arrived this morning in the proper Canon camera box together with 3 year guarantee.

I have been finally tempted with the spring cashback, so finally have a full frame :)
The trip to focus on imaging was an expensive one!
I'm now trying to decide between the 16-35 f2.8 or the 17-40....

I have been finally tempted with the spring cashback, so finally have a full frame :)
The trip to focus on imaging was an expensive one!
I'm now trying to decide between the 16-35 f2.8 or the 17-40....

FWIW, rumours are that the 16-35 mk 2 is going to be replaced by a 14-24 2.8,although I've found it to be an excellent lens, esp on FF.

A 14-24 would be pretty awesome!

Canon do seem to be into lots of new product announcements at the moment.. So may wait for a bit ;)

A 14-24 would be pretty awesome!

Canon do seem to be into lots of new product announcements at the moment.. So may wait for a bit ;)

...and also I suspect very expensive.......but it's long overdue.
It is only a rumour, of course, but Nikon's one has been out a bit and is, I'm told, excellent.

My 5D arrived this afternoon. Well pleased, but what a frustrating couple of hours waiting for the battery to charge before I could have a play. AND the weather is crap here, so it was just pictures of the dog for now. Arrrrrggghhhhh!!!

Last edited:
I've actually said its on loan from a pro. I work for a printers and we do have pro's coming in and out so its fiesable. To be honest it was only my son that noticed I now had two DSLR's at home, the GF has never mentioned it (nor any lenses that appear).
The same thing happens when I bring a new bass home. No matter what colour or how many strings it has she hasn't said anything. I keep it all low key.

Last edited:
I love my new camera but I have to say that I'm disappointed in the fact that the Canon engineers missed it with the timer. When you use bulb mode with a release cable the timer is on the top display. Problem is that the light on the top display only stays on for a few seconds and in a dark area you are left in the dark without being able to see the timer. Even my 600D's timer could be seen because you could leave the light on. Not smart Canon, we paid big bucks for this you should of got it right.

I've just received my 5diii today, I've upgraded from 550d and what a difference,a lot more buttons and settings to get to grips with, now need to get I decent lens as my 17-55 don't fit.... Thinking of a 24-70 or 24-105 decisions decisions, any one got any experience on these matters :)

Also who uses a third party grip? Canons version is bloody expensive

P.S mines firmware version 1.1.3

GR3Z said:
I've just received my 5diii today, I've upgraded from 550d and what a difference,a lot more buttons and settings to get to grips with, now need to get I decent lens as my 17-55 don't fit.... Thinking of a 24-70 or 24-105 decisions decisions, any one got any experience on these matters :)

I just bought the new 24-70. I had 17-55 so it seemed the logical choice. Plus with the new 70-200 its a nice range. Too early to tell you what I think about 24-70. Seems pretty nice so far

Thinking of a 24-70 or 24-105 decisions decisions, any one got any experience on these matters :)

I've got the 24-105, it's superb on this camera for me.

I had a grip on my 7D for a while but I found it cumbersome and heavy. I also struggled to get my camera in my camera bag!

I bought the BG-E11 rather than third party during one of the buy half price with the body deals.
Probably in the minority here,but I can't stand the new side loading mechanism.
Much preferred the BG-E6 version with the rear push loading.

I bought the BG-E11 rather than third party during one of the buy half price with the body deals.
Probably in the minority here,but I can't stand the new side loading mechanism.
Much preferred the BG-E6 version with the rear push loading.

Yep, you are in the minority ;)

OK, the rear push loading may be better. But the ergonomics of the grip that results from the mechanism is bloody awful. Just too thick/chunky and nothing like the camera grip.

Canon did good here.

shaylou said:
I love my new camera but I have to say that I'm disappointed in the fact that the Canon engineers missed it with the timer. When you use bulb mode with a release cable the timer is on the top display. Problem is that the light on the top display only stays on for a few seconds and in a dark area you are left in the dark without being able to see the timer. Even my 600D's timer could be seen because you could leave the light on. Not smart Canon, we paid big bucks for this you should of got it right.

I've always carried a tiny torch, especially when working in the dark. I never find the display bright enough on any camera.

Looking to upgrade in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone thought about the 6D before finally getting the MKIII? I've a MKII and would probably be paying an extra £1000 odd if I sold that to fund a MKIII, but the 6D/24-105mm package is tempting at just over £1800 as I've not got the 24-105 and it's something I could do with also. Is it worth the extra ££ for the MKIII? not too bothered about the focus points as it's mainly seascapes/landscapes I do but I am moving into strobist/portraits now tho.
Would the 6D not be an upgrade from the MKII?

TIA :)

Well the 6D was announced about a month after I got my 5D so it was never an option.
When I first saw the spec I thought "bugger", but after seeing the camera and reading some reviews I have no regrets at all, and would make the same decision now.
Both seem to have about the same IQ, but they seem to be quite different as far as features go. IMO the 6D is almost like a full frame rebel camera from a few years ago. It has a few nice features but nothing like the 5D.
If just using the camera on a tripod for landscapes etc, where you can take the time to get the shot then maybe the 6D is a better option, due to it costing a lot less, but if you want a better camera than the 5DMKII I think it would have to be the MKIII.

Just my opinion though.

Looking to upgrade in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone thought about the 6D before finally getting the MKIII? I've a MKII and would probably be paying an extra £1000 odd if I sold that to fund a MKIII, but the 6D/24-105mm package is tempting at just over £1800 as I've not got the 24-105 and it's something I could do with also. Is it worth the extra ££ for the MKIII? not too bothered about the focus points as it's mainly seascapes/landscapes I do but I am moving into strobist/portraits now tho.
Would the 6D not be an upgrade from the MKII?

TIA :)

I went from a 5D II and 7D combination to the Mark III but I only used the 7D once maybe twice a year for motorsport etc.
Other than that it collected bag dust :(

If it wasn't for the fact of needing the 7D AF occasionally in my last setup. I think I'd have gone the 6D route as well,as the 5D II was 99% of everything I needed.

Well the 6D was announced about a month after I got my 5D so it was never an option.
When I first saw the spec I thought "bugger", but after seeing the camera and reading some reviews I have no regrets at all, and would make the same decision now.
Both seem to have about the same IQ, but they seem to be quite different as far as features go. IMO the 6D is almost like a full frame rebel camera from a few years ago. It has a few nice features but nothing like the 5D.
If just using the camera on a tripod for landscapes etc, where you can take the time to get the shot then maybe the 6D is a better option, due to it costing a lot less, but if you want a better camera than the 5DMKII I think it would have to be the MKIII.

Just my opinion though.

Pretty much my opinion too :).

Greetings,

What would be the best battery setup for weddings/portrait work for this? Just looking at the Branded Batteries (using the grip) £50 a pop! But their are others and noticed that the MK2 batteries can also be used with this?

Possibly thinking Battery slot (AA Eneloops)

Last edited:
Back