Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

With the 5D3 can you set a minimum shutter speed and auto iso in AV mode?

It might be an idea for those of you that have bought a 5D3 from DigitalRev to post that POTN link on the actual DR forum page. It will probably make them wake up and issue a response for any other potential buyer.

Who knows, there may be some logical answer to all the madness!...or a stern warning for everyone else.

If the thread is read fully then it's clear that the OP does state that he offered to pay for the repair. DR would then reimburse him. Canon refused due to the fake serial no.

stu.artd said:
If the thread is read fully then it's clear that the OP does state that he offered to pay for the repair. DR would then reimburse him. Canon refused due to the fake serial no.

The main issue is not whether DR would reimburse costs or not. It's the "fake" serial number that is extremely disturbing.

The main issue is not whether DR would reimburse costs or not. It's the "fake" serial number that is extremely disturbing.

The question is can anyone tell if the serial number is genuine or not? According to that thread, you can register any made-up serial number on the Canon website, so that implies there's no way for people to easily check.

domino1999 said:
The question is can anyone tell if the serial number is genuine or not? According to that thread, you can register any made-up serial number on the Canon website, so that implies there's no way for people to easily check.

I think the only way is to contact Canon direct. It's a shame you can't check it immediately when you're registering.

where does it say that ?
canon uk reply stated "Therefore, I am very sorry to say that we cannot accept your warranty claim in respect of this product."

that sounds to me like it was an attempted warranty claim

niko read the thread!

Actually if people just sit back and think carefully for a second and ask a simple question:

What can DR possibly achieve by faking the serial? How is it even possible to actually program the camera(modifying its exif) and editing to create a fake Serial number?

further more, how in gods name did DR have the ability to do that, plus print and create a fully fledge retail box for a 5d3 with the serial?

And for what? what gain? what can DR possibly gain from such a thing?

im not defending DR. i am just looking at it from a different perspective and thinking why and how?

Hmm interesting, I ordered mine from DR too. Been over a month now, no problems (like with every Canon product I have owned, ever). :)

Also checked the serial numbers, all matching (from exif to camera and box).

niko read the thread!

Actually if people just sit back and think carefully for a second and ask a simple question:

What can DR possibly achieve by faking the serial? How is it even possible to actually program the camera(modifying its exif) and editing to create a fake Serial number?

further more, how in gods name did DR have the ability to do that, plus print and create a fully fledge retail box for a 5d3 with the serial?

im not defending DR. i am just looking at it from a different perspective and thinking why and how?
sorry mate just re read it (y) but i still think there's more to it
maybe the op started to try and claim the warranty and then after offered to pay for it (after rereading it a couple of times he keeps stating the all he wants is a uk warranty ,well and the cam)
don't get me wrong i do feel for the guy

yep i'm with you there i don't think its fake at all .i think its canon trying to keep the grey market at bay .

Hi guys,

picked up a 5D3 a few days ago and have come from a 5D2, is anyone else coming from a similar move finding the AF points a bit fiddly? I love having so many as it varies the positioning of the photo if you don't want to recompose but after flicking through 9 AF points, scooting round 31 of them is a nightmare.

Anyone got any tips to make life a little easier?

jonneymendoza said:
niko read the thread!

Hence why I put the word fake in inverted commas. It will be interesting to see how DR elaborates on the matter as the initial response is a little ambiguous because of English not being their first language.

I totally agree though, that they have nothing to gain from this, and hopefully the whole affair will just come out in the wash. However, it is still extremely disturbing and if other cases like this crop up it's gonna be a nightmare, as there is no easy way to check the situation before purchase.

Let's hope it's a one off!

Eighth Avenue said:
Hi guys,

picked up a 5D3 a few days ago and have come from a 5D2, is anyone else coming from a similar move finding the AF points a bit fiddly? I love having so many as it varies the positioning of the photo if you don't want to recompose but after flicking through 9 AF points, scooting round 31 of them is a nightmare.

You could cut down the amount of AF points in the settings?
Or do you like having them all on?

I got used to using both dials to skip round them all.

Finally wrapped my head around the AF system. Upgraded from a D50 so it was a bit of a challange.
8185484973_b1b6374da4_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Hi guys,

Welcome :)

I'm sure someone said earlier you can just press the joystick to toggle from the centre AF to where it was, think it's a custom function.

I'm sure someone said earlier you can just press the joystick to toggle from the centre AF to where it was, think it's a custom function.

Correct! :clap: There was a link couple of posts above with very useful custom functions which you can set. Have a look at it and it will make your life with the 5D much easier.

Yes, and you get to set this separately for both landscape and portrait orientation.
You can also register a second AF point for all four orientations (IIR). You can then have one AF point on the shutter button and a second on the rear AF-On button. The only issue i have with using this is that the second AF point is always flashing in the VF, a bit off putting sometimes. Very handy feature though.

Last edited:
I think that DR have arranged to collect at their expense. POTN post just updated...Still a bummer for the OP on there.

I dont know if anyone has seen the thread on POTN about a 5DMKIII brought from Digital Rev. Its got an issue and the guy has tried to get it fixed under DR's local repair warranty, only to find Canon UK wont touch it, as they say its not a legit serial number.
The outcome seems to be, based on that that users experience, is that if anything goes wrong with this camera, now or in the future, it has to go back to HK for repair.

Anyone like to comment on this? Has anyone gone through the same?
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1242404

The fake serial thing is nothing new it has been going on for a couple of years. Even registering your kit with Canon and CPN wasn't a sure fire way of knowing it was genuine until you actually had to get work done on it.

Last edited:
Are we actually sure it is a fake serial number and not just the case that its a serial number from a region that a specific CS base won't deal from? By that I mean if bought in HK the UK Canon service won't touch it.

Are we actually sure it is a fake serial number and not just the case that its a serial number from a region that a specific CS base won't deal from? By that I mean if bought in HK the UK Canon service won't touch it.
I would think that the serial must be totally false on the camera involved here as I have bought two bodies from the USA in the past and Canon repaired both of them (me paying) they also repaired my Lens from Hong Kong when the hood got stuck

This is one of the dangers of buying grey I guess.

There are plenty of 'warning signs' around the net these days but some people either don't see them, choose to ignore them, believe what they want to believe or think that the saving is worth it.

Sometimes it works out others it doesn't.

Grey doesn't mean fake IMO.
Cant say ive ever seen the fake serial number issue posted. Ive not looked for it though but with all the glowing reports about DR, O-S-D and the others, plus the lack of any real complaints what else would one think?
Im not ignoring anything, its just not widespread.

Even after all this i would not be put off buying grey. There are many, many more positive posts than there are negative.

Grey doesn't mean fake IMO.
Cant say ive ever seen the fake serial number issue posted. Ive not looked for it though but with all the glowing reports about DR, O-S-D and the others, plus the lack of any real complaints what else would one think?
Im not ignoring anything, its just not widespread.

Even after all this i would not be put off buying grey. There are many, many more positive posts than there are negative.

No, not fake I agree, but the grey market does leave one open to other issues. I'd say the warranty thing is probably one of the main ones along with the tax issue.

For most, the warranty thing will never be an issue and the savings far outweigh the risk.

The thread has taken a turn for the better (other than for the OP).
It looks like the serial number on the camera doesn't match the serial number in the EXIF fo his shots.
This indicates that it is indeed a fake serial number on the label, just as Canon have said.
Until this came to light i was under the impression that all the serial numbers had been changed. On camera, EXIF, box etc so there was no way to tell. All mine match so im assuming mine are not faked and i must admit i feel a bit easier now.
Im pretty sure Canon will fix a camera no matter where it was purchased, at the owners expense, as long as its not a fake.

I believe a Canon refurbed camera has external indication on the serial number part with a small melted piercing/indentation.

Last edited:
How do you check they all match in exif.. I don't use dpp by the way.

Well there are variuos ways of doing it. If you use Firefox you can install a plug in and just drag an image in to FF and right click on it and get the info that way.
Another way is to download ExifTool and just drag and drop an image on it. It doesn't need installing, its just one file.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Last edited:
Back