Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Yeah the 135 is a beautiful lens. Far better than anything else I've owned.

Indeed. Its a lens i will own sooner rather than later, but i see it as more an occasional lens, and right now i need a more every day lens.

Does anyone else find that their 5D3 slightly underexposes?
Maybe it's a setting I've got activated or something? Even if I put the ISO on auto it still comes out looking the same. I never had this with my old 5D2.
I think I've got my exposure comp. set to about +2/3 at the moment to get it looking about right.

This has been a long running "complaint" since the camera came out. Some don't see it, others do.
Some say its like this so it preserves the highlights.
I would say i see it. whenever i use another camera, like my 60D or new 650D i find the images to be brighter. I did put it down to different LCD's at first but putting the same shots in LR does show the 5DMKIII shots to be more biased to the left.
Ive not done any exact scientific tests though, its just what ive noticed.

Probably something I've got selected somewhere!
Being in the job I do. I've got into the mindset that any fault is always down to me unless I can completely rule everything out.
Never blame the gear :)

Last edited:
I know someone has done a more comprehensive test on buffers and write speed on CF & SD cards but i only use CF cards. I wondered if there would be a difference between a 60MB/S Sandisk Extreme and a 90MB/S Extreme Pro.

Unfortunately I didn't have an Extreme Pro so bought one for the test.

So with the Extreme in the camera the buffer indicates 13 and I was able to take 20 frames at 6 FPS before the frame rate started to slow.

With the Extreme Pro in the camera the buffer still indicates 13 but I was able to take 24 frames before the frame rate slowed.

So pay an extra £30 and get an extra 4 frames. For me it's worth it because i use the camera for wildlife but I suspect for many others it won't be.

Should have said that this was full size RAW with 2 fully charged batteries in the grip.

Gaz

When I did my tests (see my earlier post for the results) I used a Lexar 8GB UDMA 7 which is supposed to write at up to 45Mb/s, I thought it was more, might well get a faster card, although I thought UDMA7 was supposed to be fast, the 1000x has a write speed of 167Mb/s - quite a leap!

Last edited:
I asked about these a month or so ago but no one answered so I still haven't bought any spares. Would also be interested in knowing.

Im sure they have been talked about on here, i bought 4 about 3 months ago, they are great, they aslo show up as normal batteries as well, no warning with the latest firmware.

More reviews of the single than the twin pack :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...iewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

might take the punt. they would only be used as spares. already have two genuine ones

Posted these in the Transport section.

9465623028_12252a34ba_o.jpg

9465623108_8b4ce68110_o.jpg

9465623120_0e789db475_o.jpg

Taken using 5D MKIII and 70-200 f/2.8 L MKII with x2 MKIII

Mark

TBH not bad at all. People were saying the AF is slow but I believe these comments were towards the 7D..?

Im no expert but seemed good to me. I'd try / hire one first.

Here's something a little unusual taken yesterday in the Mach Loop... It was great to meet up with Gaz and Drew yesterday. :)

5DMKIII
300mm f/2.8 L IS USM MKI
EF1.4x MKII Extender

Very nice Si..!

Hi guys my wife's 5d 3 played up half way into a wedding yesterday. This is her second wedding with the camera which she got new last month.

The camera was working fine then all of a sudden she couldn't take any photos, the f stop wouldn't change and was displaying 0.0. The camera also would not turn off and the rear screen was staying on.

She then changed the battery to another new one and the camera worked fine.
The first battery was still displaying 1/2 so not sure what's going on.

Has anyone had this happen to them ????
She's really worried about this happening again halfway threw another wedding.

Iv hustled check and she hasn't yet done the updates but would this really affect a fault like this?

I had this happen to me a few times with a Tamron 24-70. The camera is losing contact with the lens I believe.
For me this was the last staw with the Tamron.
You could try cleaning the electrical contacts on the lens and lens mount.

Fantastic plane shots guys. Very impressive.

Last edited:
I had this happen to me a few times with a Tamron 24-70. The camera is losing contact with the lens I believe.
For me this was the last staw with the Tamron.
You could try cleaning the electrical contacts on the lens and lens mount.

Thanks for your reply
She's using a tamron sp24-70 2.8 do vc usd

Nice, how do you find the hit rate using the canon 2x on the 70-200 I'm considering getting one for Motorsport? I've tried a friends cheap sigma 2x it works but its not great.

Using a 70-200 mk 2 with both 1.4 and sometimes 2x mk3 converters on a 1 DX and finding IQ and AF speed not suffering much at all, with a 300 mk2 also excellent results, shots are wildlife, been playing with BIF shots recently and find the AF settings are quite critical to get good results, but I'm very happy with the combo and I'd expect the 5D3 to have a similar performance albeit with a lower frame rate.

Well that's the same, and only, lens I've had this issue with.

I sent mine back to Amazon, I hope she didn't get it.

Yes she got it from park cameras last month.

Not sure what to do now ?

It has got a 5 year warranty on it and I don't think the shop would take it back now its been used.

How long has she had it? Personally I would call them and explain the situation. If its not too old they should change it. The lens is not up to the job it's designed for and you shouldn't have to put up with an intermittent problem.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the bit about having it for a month. I would insist its changed, do not even think about getting it repaired.

Last edited:
Using a 70-200 mk 2 with both 1.4 and sometimes 2x mk3 converters on a 1 DX and finding IQ and AF speed not suffering much at all, with a 300 mk2 also excellent results, shots are wildlife, been playing with BIF shots recently and find the AF settings are quite critical to get good results, but I'm very happy with the combo and I'd expect the 5D3 to have a similar performance albeit with a lower frame rate.

That's good to hear, I decided that I'm going to hire one and see how I get on, fancy the 2x rather than the 100-400l my bags heavy enough already, I've read that it can match the just about match the 100-400l in terms of IQ but lacks a little in af speed.

How long has she had it? Personally I would call them and explain the situation. If its not too old they should change it. The lens is not up to the job it's designed for and you shouldn't have to put up with an intermittent problem.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the bit about having it for a month. I would insist its changed, do not even think about getting it repaired.

We have contacted the shop who apparently know nothing about this fault.
Iv done a search and this is quit a common problem.
The shop said they would buy the lens back but it wouldn't be near what we payed for it!!

Iv checked and the kit is 2 month old and been used twice!

From what iv read people have sent there lens back to tamron, got it back 4 weeks later and the same fault happes.

What should we do ??

We have contacted the shop who apparently know nothing about this fault.
Iv done a search and this is quit a common problem.
The shop said they would buy the lens back but it wouldn't be near what we payed for it!!

Iv checked and the kit is 2 month old and been used twice!

From what iv read people have sent there lens back to tamron, got it back 4 weeks later and the same fault happes.

What should we do ??

Reject it under the Sale of Goods Act as not being fit for purpose and ask for your money back. If you paid on a credit card you can go to the card issuer and do this. They are equally liable and you can choose which route to take.

Until the lens is six months old it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there when you purchased it. Oh, and don't let them push you off to the manufacturer and the guarantee. Your contract is with the retailer (and credit card company).

Reject it under the Sale of Goods Act as not being fit for purpose and ask for your money back. If you paid on a credit card you can go to the card issuer and do this. They are equally liable and you can choose which route to take.

Until the lens is six months old it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there when you purchased it. Oh, and don't let them push you off to the manufacturer and the guarantee. Your contract is with the retailer (and credit card company).

Agreed. They are just pulling a fast one. It might well be someone who doesn't know the law, but keep at it.

In addition don't accept a repair, as soon as you do it means you accept it with its faults.

Lens calibration? I've just searched the manual for both calibrate and calibration with no hits - it has lens correction (though I don't think my camera found anything for the 100mm L), but not calibration that I'm aware of.

Or do you mean the micro focus adjustment? If so, perhaps follow this tutorial (which I keep meaning to go through now that I have a tripod).

EDIT: Microadjustment is on page 105 of the manual.

Last edited:
Had a life changing thing happen to me last friday which is a negative thing as i wasn't expecting it so to treated myself .

i just went out and bought a 24-70f2.8mk2 lens an hour ago and will test today at lunch time where i will meet a friend. bought my 5d3 with me today.

Will post sample shots later. Cheers

Had a life changing thing happen to me last friday which is a negative thing as i wasn't expecting it so to treated myself .

i just went out and bought a 24-70f2.8mk2 lens an hour ago and will test today at lunch time where i will meet a friend. bought my 5d3 with me today.

Will post sample shots later. Cheers

Nice one, welcome to the club (y)

Hope the reason isnt too severe though :thumbsdown:

Cheers Dave.

I'll be fine. Doing ok. Family and friends have been very supportive.

Maybe one day when we finally hook up and meet in person i will tell u all about it :)

Cheers mate.

I got a good deal on the lens. i bought it from Camera world which is nearly £100 cheaper then amazon and anywhere else!

Good for you, im sure we will bump in to each other at some point.

When i saw the Cameraworld deal a while back it made me wish i had got mine form them. I still paid slightly less from DR but given the choice i would have gone with CW.

Ive had mine since Feb 27th, and not once have i had any negative thoughts about it, other than im still not 100% on the reach, and its bloody heavy.
I dont know what a stellar (to use the American phrase) copy looks like, but i really cant fault mine.

Saying that, im using a friends 24-105L at the moment, and am thinking about getting one to use instead of the 24-70 during the week. The weight difference is definitely noticeable, and im enjoying the longer reach. Not a lens i ever expected to go back to, but as im using my 650D a bit as well im finding the 24-105 works well on both, for different reasons. I'll never sell the 24-70 though.

I agree, its waaay over used, especially on the American sites like POTN.
Its also misleading IMO, and can cause new owners to feel like they have a poor copy.
Saying that, i see no flaws or faults with mine, and the IQ is more than good enough for my needs, so maybe........

Dave
I have the 24-70 and 70-200 Canons (Mk1 versions) and they are both very very good
having also got a bunch of primes as well and they are just optically better than the zooms

and I Love my 24-70mm it is easily my most used lens (by a country mile) it is very close to the primes but not Stellar
having said that I used to be a complete prime junkie and would not of entertained that a zoom lens could even get near a prime Lens a few years ago
however the Zooms do every job I need to do hence why they are now used more than my primes

Ive never used a 24-70 MKI, but almost everything ive read says the MKII is better. A lot of people say its Prime IQ in a zoom, but then not all primes are equal anyway.
Ive tried to get in to using just primes, and in fact id say i use my 100 f/2 more than any other lens, even as a walkabout lens, but i cant get over the restriction primes can put on you under certain conditions, so my go to lens is still my 24-70 (although at the moment its the 24-105)

I'd love a 135L f/2, to me that would definitely be stellar, although i love my 100 f/2 too much to give that up.

Back