Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Just tried another quick photo to test - this time I used TV mode 1/256 F4, ISO1000 (the latter being automatic setting again)

I have two ordinary CR2 photos of the two components then the following merged CR2 photo - aside from resizing I have not touched this photo

Obviously doing something wrong still but what ?
At this point I assume it's a part of the in camera merge algorithm (because 1/50s certainly shouldn't cause you any motion problems). I haven't messed with that functionality, so I'm not sure how advanced or clever it can be with the overlaid images.

Dave i popped down that place you suggested and there was a Turkish festival happening. i was tempted to have a kebab their but wasnt hungry LOL.

Next time im their we should link up seeing as you live close by there.

Yeah, we should definitely meet up at some point. Last weekend i was in and out, both of home and London, most of the weekend, otherwise i was going to suggest meeting.
I thought the festival was more like another food market, but everyone seemed to be having a good time.

I did get a Kebab though, and there were plenty to choose from ;-)

EDIT: I forgot to add, this is a ISO 12800 shot. I didnt realise the ISO had shot up at the time, but to my eyes it doesn't look like a high ISO shot.

Lunch. by Dave Pearce (London), on Flickr

Last edited:
At this point I assume it's a part of the in camera merge algorithm (because 1/50s certainly shouldn't cause you any motion problems). I haven't messed with that functionality, so I'm not sure how advanced or clever it can be with the overlaid images.

Im beginning to think that its down to intrepretration of multiple exposure.

I'm going to try a photo of our garden later and then photograph something from a different angle, rather than the same pose on a tripod twice and see if that's how it works

I used to hate that when i had my old 17-55 f/2.8IS on my 60D. That was way too noisy.
One thing you should do (other than use an external mic) is to use manual level control. You will (and have) found in a quiet place the camera is upping the gain too much, its trying to amplify background noises, and this will certainly bring out the IS noise.
Take control of the record level and set it so the camera wont increase the gain, and you should find the IS noise is not too intrusive.

Thanks for the advice. I will try this out. Been thinking of getting a hot shoe mic anyway just in two minds if I'll look like a tool using it when most people video things with discreet camera phones and there's me with a giant dslr with hot shoe mic and huge furry wind suppressor ;)

Dont forget that the blend mode makes a big difference.
I haven't really played around with this setting but i dont think you will get what you are after in camera.

Agree can do it in Photoshop -- but the camera generates the third photo, and if its going to do that you would think it should be correct or whats the point of it being there as an option ?

Thanks for the advice. I will try this out. Been thinking of getting a hot shoe mic anyway just in two minds if I'll look like a tool using it when most people video things with discreet camera phones and there's me with a giant dslr with hot shoe mic and huge furry wind suppressor ;)

Yeah, i know what you mean. Back when i got my first DSLR (even up to a few years ago) i felt very conspicuous with my "big" camera. These days its very easy to blend in.
I see quite a few people with hot shoe mics out and about, although not many just causally filming, they seem to have more of a purpose.
Nothing wrong with a huge furry suppressor though lol.

Does anyone here have the 100mm 2.8L macro lens? Mine has arrived today, and it's having some trouble acquiring lock via both the VF and LV. It's driving the motor so that's not the problem, it just struggles to get a lock.

I've tried all kinds of settings (both in terms of exposure modes and on the lens itself) and both long and close focal lengths. I'm using the centre AF point, which should be the most sensitive.

If I focus manually it looks OK, but I've just dropped the best part of £700 for a lens and I want the AF to work.

Stumped. Something in the AF settings maybe? AF has never given me any trouble on the 24-105 or pancake. :/

Does anyone here have the 100mm 2.8L macro lens? Mine has arrived today, and it's having some trouble acquiring lock via both the VF and LV. It's driving the motor so that's not the problem, it just struggles to get a lock.

I've tried all kinds of settings (both in terms of exposure modes and on the lens itself) and both long and close focal lengths. I'm using the centre AF point, which should be the most sensitive.

If I focus manually it looks OK, but I've just dropped the best part of £700 for a lens and I want the AF to work.

Stumped. Something in the AF settings maybe? AF has never given me any trouble on the 24-105 or pancake. :/

Hi there. Yup I have that lens and I too had a problem with the AF on it. Then I found the answer, or at least the answer for me.

Go into the menu, the AF (purple) screen#4, Lens Drive when AF impossible. Set that to ON.

That sorted my problem which sounds identical to yours.

Hope that helps.

As I say it's driving the motor. I did check that (because I'd read of that problem before picking the lens up), but now I'm going to double check to be safe...

*checks*

Assuming it's the "Lens drive when AF impossible" in AF4 then it's set to on.

EDIT: All of a sudden this from the package tracking is seeming suspicious:

30 July 2013 12:27:00 PM READING Delivered
30 July 2013 07:57:00 AM READING Out for delivery
30 July 2013 02:36:00 AM READING Arrival Scan
29 July 2013 10:30:00 AM M/KEYNES Problem resolved and shipment is in transit
26 July 2013 05:14:00 PM M/KEYNES Problem resolved and shipment is in transit

26 July 2013 05:14:00 PM M/KEYNES Shipment received by carrier
26 July 2013 04:04:35 PM --- Order has been handed over to the carrier and is in transit

Hmm... maybe "problem" equates to "we played a bit of football with it"? Box looked OK, so it's hard to tell.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've tried on all three. Full should acquire from .3m to infinity so that's the obvious one, but the others give the same results.

Just tried it outside in good light, with my daughter about 8 feet away from me, f/4 in manual and nothing (it gets close, but no solid light). Put the lens in MF mode and it's fine.

A colleague at work has a 7D he can try it on, so I'll take it tomorrow and we'll see. I've also fired off a mail to Canon in case they're aware of anything (can't believe the internet wouldn't have picked something up though). It's brand spanking from Amazon, so a swap won't be a problem.

Yeah, definitely sounds like a duffer. I'll check it on his body tomorrow to confirm, but it shouldn't be a problem to swap as I say.

Want it sorted before I head off on holiday next month for some portrait shots.

Yeah, I've tried on all three. Full should acquire from .3m to infinity so that's the obvious one, but the others give the same results.

Just tried it outside in good light, with my daughter about 8 feet away from me, f/4 in manual and nothing (it gets close, but no solid light). Put the lens in MF mode and it's fine.

A colleague at work has a 7D he can try it on, so I'll take it tomorrow and we'll see. I've also fired off a mail to Canon in case they're aware of anything (can't believe the internet wouldn't have picked something up though). It's brand spanking from Amazon, so a swap won't be a problem.

Mine has always been like this too.
On all the cameras I've owned from my 40D up to my current 5D3.
It becomes a PITA at times having to manually override the AF close enough to enable the focus lock.
The limit switch doesn't make much difference either.

There is a setting in the AF menu that can tell the camera not to fire if AF hasn't been archived. I'm sure this makes no difference in this case but worth adjusting to see if it helps?
I would also check to see if MFA is on and causing this.

It does sound like a faulty lens though.

One shot and AI servo are both set to focus priority, but it's not even acquiring the lock in circumstances where it really should (being new to macro I was wary that I was doing something wrong on close focus, which is why I tried it in normal portrait conditions with the focus distance set to full). When I put the 24-105 back on everything is perfect.

MFA I assume you mean the micro focus adjustments? Also checked, and that's off.

EDIT: Also tried on a tripod, with IS disabled (as well as enabled for good measure) with the same results.

Last edited:
For someone who likes his toys and has to order them immediately as soon as he has clearance I'm surprisingly patient when waiting for them to arrive! Looking forward to it turning up (again).

I'm going to try my hand at some small scale light painting later tonight (when everyone else is in bed) to help ease the pain.

Yeah, I decided not to bother with a second opinion so I've arranged for collection tomorrow. They have stock, although it's one of their "needs two more days to deliver" so I may be lucky and get it for the weekend.

Not that I have time at the weekend. Although having said that my parents' have a much nicer garden than I do and we have a BBQ there on Saturday. Hmm...

I'm a prime member anyway, so I'll get it as fast as they can deliver it. I'll see what updates I get tomorrow, and take it from there.

Gave up bothering with their Prime option a few years back now.
Got to the stage where the couriers were taking a couple of days minimum to deliver.
Pity really as it was a good service amazon provided when things were delivered on time :(

I've only been a regular for a year or so now and it's been pretty much faultless for me. Being able to order many things up to about 17:00 and having them turn up the next day is great, same for ordering things at the weekend and having them turn up on Monday morning.

I really should try out the Kindle lending service at some point, but my hobby time is spread so thin already I really don't want anything else!

I'm also a prime account holder. I gave up around Christmas time as some of their courier companies were utter rubbish.
I went back using a free months trial a few months ago and stuck with them.
It's a nightmare getting stuff delivered to home, they just can't be bothered to come in to the estate, but to work it's fine. It's come in very handy recently.

What did the new Firmware improve on the 5D MK III? I haven't installed it yet as have had a lot of jobs on and hate updating firmware when I'm busy incase something goes wrong.

Probs install it in a couple of weeks time when I have time to test things properly and just wondered what improvements people have seen since the update (if any)?

Here are the notes from the download page:

• Firmware Version 1.2.1 incorporates the following functional improvements and fixes.
  • Uncompressed HDMI output is now enabled.
  • Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with Canon EF lens/extender combinations, whose combined maximum aperture is f/8.
  • Improves the speed of the camera’s acquisition of focus, when using a Canon Speedlite’s AF-assist beam.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the LCD monitor may freeze and display Err 70 or Err 80 when a still photo is taken during Live View or in movie shooting mode.
  • Fixes a phenomenon that may occur when the continuous shooting priority setting is enabled for multiple exposures, such that, after the sixth image is taken, there is a slight pause before the remainder of the sequence is completed.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the viewfinder display shows incorrect information during AEB shooting.
  • Communication with the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E7 has been improved.
  • When images have been successfully transferred with the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E7 through the FTP protocol, an “O” will be displayed. When images have not been successfully transferred with the Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E7 through the FTP protocol, an “X” will be displayed.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera may not function properly when an Eye-Fi card is used.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the focal length value listed in the Exif information is not displayed correctly for images shot with the EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM lens.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the lens firmware cannot be updated properly.
  • Corrects errors in the Arabic language menu.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera changes the AF microadjustment value to -8.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the on-screen guidance cannot be fully displayed when setting the maximum limit value for the "Setting the ISO Speed Range for Auto ISO" option.

* Items No.1 through 12 have been incorporated into firmware version 1.2.0.
* Items No.1 through 14 have been incorporated into firmware version 1.2.1.

i now work near tottenham Court road so expect a crap load of pics from me during lunch or after working hours.

There is an amazing little shop call calumet nearby that has some cool studio gear and camera's as well the normal highstreets dont sell.

Looking to pickup a Softbox probably today hehe.

Have you installed your software for your Canon 5D mark 111
This might help.
:wave:
Updated the firmware you mean? Yeah I'm on the latest version, and I checked there aren't any updates for the lens.

We'll know by this time tomorrow, anyway.

Back