Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

I haven't had a chance to try it out too much, but at the moment it looks as though AF on the replacement lens is just fine. Looking forward to playing with it if I get a chance at the weekend. ^_^

The 5dmk3 is certainly an awesome tool!
All is shoot at the moment is wildlife from birds in flight to static stuff and oh my, coming from a 550d which I thought was good the 5d rocks, awesome colour rendition, ace picture quality, wicked af and quiet shutter mode, fabulous. Me and camera are maybe 2 months old together and things can only get better as I learn more about it's ways.

The 5dmk3 is certainly an awesome tool!
All is shoot at the moment is wildlife from birds in flight to static stuff and oh my, coming from a 550d which I thought was good the 5d rocks, awesome colour rendition, ace picture quality, wicked af and quiet shutter mode, fabulous. Me and camera are maybe 2 months old together and things can only get better as I learn more about it's ways.

It sounds like :love:

Hi,

Took these right after I bought my 5D Mark III to test the ISO.

Cows%20ISO%204000-XL.jpg

Stick%20ISO%204000-XL.jpg

Have a guess in your head what ISO you think these are before checking ;)

Mike.

The amount you can crop on this camera is redicolous.

Look how much i cropped on that and how sharp it is. brilliant

Might be an idea to show us the original before cropping?

i have the 70-300mm 4-5.6L and i am thinking about getting the 1.4 III extender, would this be a good combo for motorsport???

The Canon 1.4 doesn't fit the 70-300 4.5/5.6 L lens. Well you can fit it but it has to be zoomed right out above 250mm I think the setting is. But if you then try and zoom the lens the rear element will hit the converter. Apparently a Kenko 1.4 fits ok but you might want to check before you buy.

Gaz

Is it possible to change the metering mode when shooting in Live View mode? There's what looks like a metering option with the WB button on top of the camera, but I can't seem to get it to do anything other than WB.

Fake Edit: I've just checked and the manual says you can't change the metering mode when LV is active. Wonder if I can assign it as a custom function on another button.

Oh, you literally can't use a different method when LV is in view? I just thought it wasn't possible to change without turning it off and selecting via the Q menu.

Oh, you literally can't use a different method when LV is in view? I just thought it wasn't possible to change without turning it off and selecting via the Q menu.

I think its always been this way with Canon bodies, other than maybe the 1D series (never owned one)
Page 204 of the manual states Metering cant be changed but i agree, its not clear that it cant be changed AT ALL for LV.
If you noticed the icon that you can display on the LCD you will see the metering mode one is not amongst them.
Page 353 also has a table of what modes are available in the different shooting modes.

Thanks, I've been skimming through the manual today. It's clear now anyway.

Was messing around with the new lens at the weekend (didn't get much time, and when I finally did mother nature blew up a storm*) and wondered why I couldn't get that option up.

* not really a storm, but it was quite windy.

Ah yes, the 100mm. Glad you got it sorted.

I think Mother nature is having one of her "weeks" at the moment.

Talking of macro lenses and mother nature, i took this on Sat. As per Johnny's post, im amazed at how much you can crop with this camera. This was taken with my 24-70, at quite a distance, as i dont like this sort of thing getting too close. Its a huge crop, and while it doesn't match the true Macro's posted earlier (amazing shots) im happy with it.

Looking for something. by Dave Pearce (London), on Flickr

I had a bee properly teasing me on Sunday. He was posing nicely for me until JUST before I was about to shoot and then he'd shuffle off. Not sure I got anything of use, will try and have a look tonight.

Yeah, I'm still in the process of building equipment. Tubes, a couple of filters and flash + remote are all still on the agenda. So is a wide lens (widest I have is the short end of my 24-105).

Holiday up first though before I submit any more proposals to the missus!

As i dont live in a house with a garden Macro is something ive never really thought about until recently. I know you dont have to shoot insects etc but im fascinated by the insect shots i see posted, yet dont want a macro lens. Ive been eyeing up a set of Polariod tubes for a year or so, i might have to get them soon, just to get it out of my system.

Ive also been thinking of getting another 24-105L. At the current price i think i could do with one of those as a walk around lens. My 24-70 is rather heavy and i dont use it at f/2.8 much anyway.

Last edited:
I have a garden, but neither my wife or I are keen gardeners (actually I can't stand gardening). My parents are moments up the road and are much more into their gardens so I have easy access to some nice flowers if necessary.

I was wary of the macro lens as well, but reassured by the fact that it's supposed to be an excellent portrait lens as well (now, if I can just get my kids to sit still...). I nearly switched out for the 17-40 at the last moment, but lukewarm reviews (which I should learn to ignore, because I've seen some stunning pictures with it) put me off.

The 24-105 lens is so versatile for normal walkabout purposes, it might be the only lens I take on holiday (we'll see, I can probably fit all three within my carry on weight limit).

Part of me thinks I should discipline myself and work more with primes, with composition being by far the weakest part of my photography. The only prime I have at the moment is the 40mm pancake.

Yeah, my mum has a lovely garden as well (hmm, that sounds a bit rude lol), maybe I should start visiting her more.
If I didn't have my 100mm f/2 I would maybe think about a macro lens, but I love my 100 too much to replace it, and I wouldn't want to loose f/2 in such a small lens.
I'm sure with tubes on it I will get some good shots.

I think I'd use a 24-105 more than I use my 24-70, and yes, it would make a great holiday lens. In fact that's what I used for Dinsey a few years ago, on a 40D.

I do miss not having a IS lens for video though. I know I'd shoot a lot more if I did have one.

I know someone has done a more comprehensive test on buffers and write speed on CF & SD cards but i only use CF cards. I wondered if there would be a difference between a 60MB/S Sandisk Extreme and a 90MB/S Extreme Pro.

Unfortunately I didn't have an Extreme Pro so bought one for the test.

So with the Extreme in the camera the buffer indicates 13 and I was able to take 20 frames at 6 FPS before the frame rate started to slow.

With the Extreme Pro in the camera the buffer still indicates 13 but I was able to take 24 frames before the frame rate slowed.

So pay an extra £30 and get an extra 4 frames. For me it's worth it because i use the camera for wildlife but I suspect for many others it won't be.

Should have said that this was full size RAW with 2 fully charged batteries in the grip.

Gaz

Last edited:
Sell your 100mm for a macro and get your f2 fix with a 135L!
Easy :D

The thing is, i love how small the 100mm is, so even if the macro version was the same price i would still go for the smaller, faster lens.

Dont get me started on the 135L. I would love that lens, but again, its the size that puts me off. One day i shall own it though.

Gaz. Thats good info, but as i shoot most of the time in silent mode i know im already shooting at less than full speed, so a faster card wouldn't benefit me much.

Last edited:
Does anyone else find that their 5D3 slightly underexposes?
Maybe it's a setting I've got activated or something? Even if I put the ISO on auto it still comes out looking the same. I never had this with my old 5D2.
I think I've got my exposure comp. set to about +2/3 at the moment to get it looking about right.

What metering are you using, spot,evaluative etc? I'm finding mine perfect even in backlight situations. I am using Evaluative all the time.
Matt

What metering are you using, spot,evaluative etc? I'm finding mine perfect even in backlight situations. I am using Evaluative all the time.
Matt

Started out in Evaluative 99% of the time (unless needed otherwise). I've only just recently started using it frequently due to work commitments,but my 100mm Macro was definitely underexposing this evening.

Back