Canon 5D MKIII official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D MKIII

Ive just started to use my 5Dmkiii again. Since getting my 80D about 6 months ago ive not touched the 5D. I had thought of selling it but was too lazy. Now we have darker days im finding the 5Dmkiii to be a winner again.
It does feel like a very old camera compared to the 80D, but ther lack of noise in my shots evens things out for now.

I just need to get used the size and weight increase again.

Very tempted to get the new 24-105L mkii to go with it. As much as i love the 24-70 f/2.8 mkii im used to a bit more reach now.

I'll swap you [emoji108]

Edit sorry aint got the latest version

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I take it this is the pdf:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/p...ii/AF_guide_EOS5D_MarkIII_eng_January2013.pdf

I need to spend some time working through it. I have also found the canon videos on AF, that should help. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks for this, I am finding this AF focus very confusing. Sticking it in Al Servo with all the focus points active and still getting blurry pics of the kids running about.

I will have to study this booklet hard.

Having spent a couple of days with the old MKi version of the 24-105 I think im ready to go back to using my 5Dmkiii a lot more than I thought i would. I never noticed the IQ drop when i started using my 80D, but I really notice it now going the other way.
The one big issue im having is im so used to the touch screen on the 80D i find im trying to use my 5D like that. I know the Mkiv has this but i cant justify thecostfo that.
And yes, I think the 24-70 will be replaced with the new 24-105L. Shame there isnt anyone to swap with.

Thanks for this, I am finding this AF focus very confusing. Sticking it in Al Servo with all the focus points active and still getting blurry pics of the kids running about.

I may not have got to grips with 5d3 focussing completely myself but if you select the all focus points option how will the camera know what you want to focus on? I've always believed that you need to select a subject and follow it (if it's moving, that is). I've never seen the point of having a massive range of focusing points all active at the same time . Could someone advise me if I'm wrong?

There are settings in the AF section of the menu that you can adjust to ensure the AF will only allow the camera to fire if focus is achieved first.

I find having all AF points on for tracking my son on his scooter works very well under most situations, as long as the background isnt too messy, but you need to ensure the starting AF point is over the subject first. I thought there was also a setting to tell the camera to use a certain Af point as a starting point first, but i cant fidn that so maybe thats in my 80D.
Using all AF points means you dont have to keep the AF point over the subject as much as you would using just one spot. As long as the tracking is set right, and the light is good etc, the camera should change AF points as the subject moves across the frame. You can also see the AF points moving across the VF.
It all takes a bit of practice though, and the AF system can be quite daunting and its not perfect.

I may not have got to grips with 5d3 focussing completely myself but if you select the all focus points option how will the camera know what you want to focus on? I've always believed that you need to select a subject and follow it (if it's moving, that is). I've never seen the point of having a massive range of focusing points all active at the same time . Could someone advise me if I'm wrong?

As a follow on to my previous post, ive just noticed that when you turn on AI Servo and are using all 61 AF points you actually get a single AF point that you can move around and set as the starting point. The camera then switches AF points as it follows the subject. So I was right in my post above, although i still cant find an actual setting for this.. Ill need to check to see if my 80D does this as well as im sure ive seen it in a menu as well.

Last edited:
The only time I've used all points, was when I was trying to capture some swallows against a blue sky. It worked really well... this was after giving myself a crick in my neck and feeling sick trying to follow them with one point selected :D Suddenly I realised, it was useful!
Not sure if this has been posted in here at all, from a quick scan I couldn't see it. But Canon released a new firmware for the 5d mk3 on 14th November 2016, link here. Its version 1.3.4, I upgraded mine last night and all seems fine no issues, took around 3 mins 20 seconds to do.

Link here if you would like to upgrade - http://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons...igital_slr/eos_5d_mark_iii.aspx?type=firmware
Thank you! I'd missed it.

can anybody recommend a battery grip for a canon 5d mk3 please i cant afford the official canon one are the meike ones any good please.

Hi guys I'm after some opinions please

I have had a Canon 5D Mark III for about 2 years now and when I first got the camera I was amazed at how sharp the images were and how clear they appeared.
However now when shooting with the big lens (sigma 150-600mm sport) I feel that the images aren't always pin sharp like they used to be I'm unsure if this is a problem with the camera or the lens also noticed a little bit of this with my two smaller lens as wells (Tamron f 2.8)

Any thoughts or opinions on this is greatly appreciated

Hi guys I'm after some opinions please

I have had a Canon 5D Mark III for about 2 years now and when I first got the camera I was amazed at how sharp the images were and how clear they appeared.
However now when shooting with the big lens (sigma 150-600mm sport) I feel that the images aren't always pin sharp like they used to be I'm unsure if this is a problem with the camera or the lens also noticed a little bit of this with my two smaller lens as wells (Tamron f 2.8)

Any thoughts or opinions on this is greatly appreciated

Do you have the latest firmware in it?

Was just a thought as you said it seemed to be affecting three lenses. Remember reading about certain cameras that were setting the Micro adjustment for all lenses to either -8 or +8. Canon fixed it with a firmware update.

Oh rite I'll have a look it's a bit noticeable on the big one but it's more hazy and noisy than anything the smaller ones aren't too bad really

Do you have the latest firmware in it?

I would extend this question to both the camera and the lens itself which you can do through the sigma usb dock. Aside from that you could try using a spyder lens calibrator thingy or something such as focal i believe and M/A the camera as required.

I would extend this question to both the camera and the lens itself which you can do through the sigma usb dock. Aside from that you could try using a spyder lens calibrator thingy or something such as focal i believe and M/A the camera as required.
Think that is my course of action just got to find time and space to do it

Just got my hands on one from the classifieds on here to go with my 5D2... with only 13k clicks and in vgc thought close to a grand was a good price. Feels a lot more slick than my trusty Mark II, less clunky. Am very pleased with it ;)

Not sure if this has been posted in here at all, from a quick scan I couldn't see it. But Canon released a new firmware for the 5d mk3 on 14th November 2016, link here. Its version 1.3.4, I upgraded mine last night and all seems fine no issues, took around 3 mins 20 seconds to do.

Link here if you would like to upgrade - http://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons...igital_slr/eos_5d_mark_iii.aspx?type=firmware

Good evening
My 5d iii Firmware is the 1.1.3
I have never done an upgrade of firmware

Is it really necessary to switch to the latest one ?

Has anyone had any issues with the still/video switch sticking? At times it's impossible to rock it over to video and then, when I get it move, when I press the button to start recording, the mirror can be heard to move back and forth. At other times it's fine.

Good morning Nifkin
Is it a straight forward procedure (knowing that I am a d__k with computer (even with Mac)
Or is it a bit complex?

It seems straight forward but just asking
Have you visited the firmware page on the Canon website? It explains what needs to be done. I updated mine on Thursday without a problem. I'm not sure what you mean by 'a bit complex', but the only way you'll find out is to give it a go (y)

Last edited:
Have you visited the firmware page on the Canon website? It explains what needs to be done. I updated mine on Thursday without a problem. I'm not sure what you mean by 'a bit complex', but the only way you'll find out is to give it a go (y)

Nifkin,

Connecting a sound bar to a Apple TV is complex, that's what I meant by a bit complex.

I have not visited the canon page yet but I will do and see.

Nifkin,

Connecting a sound bar to a Apple TV is complex, that's what I meant by a bit complex.

I have not visited the canon page yet but I will do and see.
Arno, despite not having done so myself, I don't think connecting a sound bar to an Apple TV is even remotely similar to installing firmware on a camera. Really is best to go to the Canon site and see for yourself: then you can decide if it's complex or not [emoji4]

:(:(:(:(:(:(

OK :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I am sort of so afraid of breaking something... to be honest.
Anyways... will try and see how difficult it is
If you follow the instructions you won't break anything [emoji4]

@antc
I have not done it yet...
I read the instructions and read about the difference between the versions and it does not seem so different (I don't have the balls yet to do...)
During my next holidays I will do it.... sort of July... when I have time to do... but again if I screw up... won't have a camera.... and that's really scare me

I updated mine after seeing this . Dead easy to install and only took a few minutes .

Ooohhh, good thing I saw this.

Any real benefits in latest version of firmware?

BTW, anyone out there still shooting a 1Ds MkII? I see no owners thread...

right some advice needed when im shooting motorsport i use back button focus ai servo and case setting two.the problem im haveing is the second shot in a burst is out of focus and sometimes the rest of the sequence.this happens when they comming straight at me or panning same problem with the aircraft up the mach loop.i also use centre point only.

Back