Canon 5D series discontinued

The writing was on the wall when the R came out, the R5 came out is basically them putting up a sign.

I don't think we need them shouting it at the rooftop.

I suppose it was inevitable given that people are switching to mirrorless but it will still be a sad time for many 5D users.

Even if it were a fact rather than a rumour, I fail to see why a 5D4 owner like myself would be sad. I am not sitting here waiting for a 5D5; I am more than happy with the 5D4 spec. I will almost certainly move to mirrorless next but have no idea what model or even brand I will buy or when.

Dave

To be honest I’d be very surprised if they discontinued the 5D series it’s their main full frame series
But I’m not up to date with camera sales figures so maybe they don’t sell so many now
But still I don’t think they would discontinue a line like the 5D series it would be like them giving up

I'm still thrilled with my 5D3, and was only recently considering moving for a 5D4.
I'll watch and wait, maybe the price will help me decide...

I thought they were going to release 1 more but the market has changed so i expect others will follow in the near future

Even if it were a fact rather than a rumour, I fail to see why a 5D4 owner like myself would be sad. I am not sitting here waiting for a 5D5; I am more than happy with the 5D4 spec. I will almost certainly move to mirrorless next but have no idea what model or even brand I will buy or when.

Dave
You are probally correct in saying that many 5d series owners will not be sad as many will move to mirrorless in the future. However I am not yet sold on the advantages of mirrorless. When the option to jump from Film to Digital came along I jumped at it and never looked back. The thought of not have having to wait days on seeing how the developing went at the local chemist or having to post the small jiffy bags with my slide film was a great relief. For me, so far, the supposed advantages on now jumping to mirrorless seems like equating Colour tv to adding HD, as you still end up with a digital RAW or JPEG file with either a DLSR or Mirrorless body. Film cameras to digital was like jumping from B&W tv to colour tv. Everyone was trying to do the latter, but the majority of photographers I know are currently sticking with DSLR's for now. Of course that may change with advancements and lower prices, but there was an awful lot of sad people when Canon announced there would not be a 7D3 and I suspect this might be the same.

but the majority of photographers I know are currently sticking with DSLR's for now.
Which begs the question: how many photographers do you know? The numbers tell us that digital camera sales have dropped from 121.46 million units in 2010 to 15.22 million units in 2019. (https://www.statista.com/statistics/264337/cipa-companies-shipments-of-digital-cameras-since-1999/)

The proportion of cameras with interchangeable lenses sold rose from roughly 10% to more than 50% between 2010 and 2018 (https://www.statista.com/statistics/264337/cipa-companies-shipments-of-digital-cameras-since-1999/)

In 2018, this article suggested that mirrorless sales would overtake dSLR sales this year: http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews...8-mirrorless/when-does-mirrorless-suppla.html All predictions are, of course, subject to change without notice and I can't vouch for the writer's source of data.

Which begs the question: how many photographers do you know? The numbers tell us that digital camera sales have dropped from 121.46 million units in 2010 to 15.22 million units in 2019. (https://www.statista.com/statistics/264337/cipa-companies-shipments-of-digital-cameras-since-1999/)

The proportion of cameras with interchangeable lenses sold rose from roughly 10% to more than 50% between 2010 and 2018 (https://www.statista.com/statistics/264337/cipa-companies-shipments-of-digital-cameras-since-1999/)

In 2018, this article suggested that mirrorless sales would overtake dSLR sales this year: http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews...8-mirrorless/when-does-mirrorless-suppla.html All predictions are, of course, subject to change without notice and I can't vouch for the writer's source of data.

Nine in total, that are people that I communicate or meet with on a fairly regular basis. One of which has moved to mirrorless. I admit is it a very small sample, but these people have all been interested in photography for a long time (20, to 40 years. Canon, Nikon and one Pentax user. Surprisingly I don't know anyone that uses Sony as they seem very popular), hence the reason many of us have kept in touch.
The majority of us are from the old school of it is the glass that matters most and not the body.
Shooting mainly landscapes other than having a lighter body to carry, I have yet to be convinced on other benefits. That is not to say one day I won't switch, but just not in the foreseable future.

Many people will of course always be attracted to newer technology, eg tv's, sound systems, pc's, latops even they they don't really need it.
It would certainly be intesting to see what the current ratio of mirrorless to dlsr's user is in 2020.[/QUOTE]

You are probally correct in saying that many 5d series owners will not be sad as many will move to mirrorless in the future. However I am not yet sold on the advantages of mirrorless. When the option to jump from Film to Digital came along I jumped at it and never looked back. The thought of not have having to wait days on seeing how the developing went at the local chemist or having to post the small jiffy bags with my slide film was a great relief. For me, so far, the supposed advantages on now jumping to mirrorless seems like equating Colour tv to adding HD, as you still end up with a digital RAW or JPEG file with either a DLSR or Mirrorless body. Film cameras to digital was like jumping from B&W tv to colour tv. Everyone was trying to do the latter, but the majority of photographers I know are currently sticking with DSLR's for now. Of course that may change with advancements and lower prices, but there was an awful lot of sad people when Canon announced there would not be a 7D3 and I suspect this might be the same.

There are IMO real advantages for mirrorless including what you see is what you get, being able to focus anywhere in the frame, accurate focus with no micro adjust faff on and things like eye detect which are real game changers if you take pictures of people.

I had the original 5D and at the time I thought I'd never want a better camera. The only issue was that it was a dust bunny magnet. However, the game has moved on and I doubt even Canon has the resources to fight for sales in the mirrorless market and keep their DSLR line competitive.

Many people will of course always be attracted to newer technology, eg tv's, sound systems, pc's, latops even they they don't really need it.
That raises another question: how do you know that those people "don't really need it"?

There are IMO real advantages for mirrorless including what you see is what you get, being able to focus anywhere in the frame, accurate focus with no micro adjust faff on and things like eye detect which are real game changers if you take pictures of people.

I had the original 5D and at the time I thought I'd never want a better camera. The only issue was that it was a dust bunny magnet. However, the game has moved on and I doubt even Canon has the resources to fight for sales in the mirrorless market and keep their DSLR line competitive.

The what you see is what you get, is also available in the 5D4 in Live View Mode which I use from time to time for Macro, Bird shots and Table Top. Focusing is excellent and never had a dust problem. It also has Face Detection and Dual pixel focus but I have not used either. My reasons for eventually wanting to move on to mirrorless is purely to reduce weight and no other reason, I have not yet started looking but I would like the 5D4 spec but half the weight and I suspect it will be difficult to find a match. Even when I buy a ML, I will certainly retain my 5D4 for studio photography. I do not see this as a Cosmic change but just a natural progression.

Dave

The what you see is what you get, is also available in the 5D4 in Live View Mode which I use from time to time for Macro, Bird shots and Table Top. Focusing is excellent and never had a dust problem. It also has Face Detection and Dual pixel focus but I have not used either. My reasons for eventually wanting to move on to mirrorless is purely to reduce weight and no other reason, I have not yet started looking but I would like the 5D4 spec but half the weight and I suspect it will be difficult to find a match. Even when I buy a ML, I will certainly retain my 5D4 for studio photography. I do not see this as a Cosmic change but just a natural progression.

Dave

Live view with a DSLR involves either using a tripod or holding the camera in front of your face and personally I don't like that way of taking pictures and both could involve difficulty seeing the screen in good light. Using a VF is a much nicer and less problematic experience for me.

The dust problems I referred to were a know issue with the original 5D, that camera was by any standards awful for sensor contamination.

5DIV focusing may be excellent but will be inherently less reliable and consistent than mirrorless due to the way DSLR's focusing works. I can't see how there can be any other case than this.

You may struggle with significantly reducing the size and weight unless going for a smaller format system which could be a possibility as, and don't take this as a jab at Canon as it isn't and is just my unbiased view, Canon have been a bit behind the SOTA and some of the APS-C systems or even MFT could be real alternatives worth looking at.

Whether rumor or fact I guess it’s bound to happen at some point, just the same as it has with great model series from the past.

Personally, I’m slowing making the transition to mirrorless with the R and a couple of Fuji’s since nearly a couple of years. The 5DM3 and 5DM4 have both been amazing, however the fact for me is that I’m reaching for them less an less in favor of the R and Fuji’s. I’m still using the 1DXM2 regularly, however that too is likely to be superseded in due course.

As a 5ds user this makes me a little sad, but ultimately this is inevitable. It doesn't effect me in the short term however as I never chase the latest model, I expect to carry on using it until it dies or Canon brings out a high mpx R series camera. And even then i will wait for the price to drop.

Edit: Looks like the R5 is 40mpx, so when they get to 2K rather than 4 I may make the leap.

Last edited:
To be honest I’d be very surprised if they discontinued the 5D series it’s their main full frame series
But I’m not up to date with camera sales figures so maybe they don’t sell so many now
But still I don’t think they would discontinue a line like the 5D series it would be like them giving up

They've just released the R5 and R6. The R5 is the replacement for the 5D MkIV, Canon have already said they've basically stopped DSLR development and EF mount lens development unless the market demands it. I'd be very surprised if the 1DX MKIII isn't their final DSLR release. They've aggressively developed their mirrorless cameras and the RF lens line over the past couple of years.

They've just released the R5 and R6. The R5 is the replacement for the 5D MkIV, Canon have already said they've basically stopped DSLR development and EF mount lens development unless the market demands it. I'd be very surprised if the 1DX MKIII isn't their final DSLR release. They've aggressively developed their mirrorless cameras and the RF lens line over the past couple of years.
Ahh I see thanks I didn’t know that
At the moment I don’t have a mirrorless camera my 7D2 and6D 2 do everything I need

Live view with a DSLR involves either using a tripod or holding the camera in front of your face and personally I don't like that way of taking pictures and both could involve difficulty seeing the screen in good light. Using a VF is a much nicer and less problematic experience for me.

Not true for me. I use my iPad connected to my camera by WiFi so the live view is very large and even easier to focus and access to all the key controls. However, I have nothing against using a tripod which I would in those circumstances. I would move into the shade with my iPad so the screen is easier to see. I would not like having a small camera screen in my face either and with my Bridge camera normally use the viewfinder but the articulated screen is good for street photography.

Dave

I'm not too sad if it's the case at all, had my 5Div for almost 3 years now (not 6k clcicks on it yet) and it's still a better camera than I am a photographer. Maybe one day, I'll master it totally but until then, and as long as she keeps going, I'm happy with what I have. The day may come when I jump to mirrorless but for now, happy as is.

R5 is a direct upgrade. You may chose to ignore the slightly different naming nomenclature.

As a 5-series user I can't see any reason not to apart from the steep early pricing. I was very anti-EVF while they were utter crap but these ones are now good enough to be almost lifelike. Form factor is actually very acceptable to 5D user too and everything else appear to be a very long list of substantial upgrades.

In a good year Canon might have considered releasing 5D version of R5 basically with extra mirror but right now I can't see enough interest particularly when the mirror would add say another £500 on top. I'm fairly confident 1DxIII was their last proper mirror camera. There might be one more cheapo xxxD but that's about it.

I've long decided not to invest any significant money into any more EF lenses; you may find many of these will start depreciating very quickly at certain point before 2023, just like mkI version does when far superior mkII comes out.

Last edited:
I’m out of touch completely with mirrorless the nearest I have is my Sony RX100 mk 1
At the moment I use my 7D2 for wildlife, birds and zoo animals basically anything moving and my 6D2 for close up and macro
So I still prefer to use a viewfinder
Are the viewfinders on mirrorless now good enough for selecting a focus point quickly and getting spot on focus like with the joystick thing on the7D and also following focus on fast moving things like puffins in flight ?
Genuine question just wondering if mirrorless now can replace DSLR for everything

I've never shot with FF or owned any EF Lenses apart from the 24mm. I was looking forward to one day upgrading to a FF DSLR and buying some nice EF Landscape Lenses and a couple of telephotos as well but now there just isn't any point really, although I think I'd buy the 100-400 II over the 100-500 RF as it's less than half the price of the RF and I don't think you would be able to tell the difference in IQ if you didn't know which picture was from which lens.

The RF 24-105 is priced nicely though, even if the 16-35 is quite expensive so maybe buy the EF 16-35...

The upgrade path for me would have to be mirrorless as a Camera though, hopefully the R6... and RF Lenses, I am looking forward to that though.

Last edited:
I’m out of touch completely with mirrorless the nearest I have is my Sony RX100 mk 1
At the moment I use my 7D2 for wildlife, birds and zoo animals basically anything moving and my 6D2 for close up and macro
So I still prefer to use a viewfinder
Are the viewfinders on mirrorless now good enough for selecting a focus point quickly and getting spot on focus like with the joystick thing on the7D and also following focus on fast moving things like puffins in flight ?
Genuine question just wondering if mirrorless now can replace DSLR for everything
Like this - strap yourself in Pete
The Animal AF on the R5 is insane new footage

Out of my budget at the moment but even so price will come down

Out of my budget at the moment but even so price will come down

R6 does the same but much cheaper. Sony has had eye af (human, more recently animal but not as good as canon) for years and have many models in the line up with excellent af from apsc to ff.

Last edited:
R6 does the same but much cheaper. Sony has had eye af (human, more recently animal but not as good as canon) for years and have many models in the line up with excellent af from apsc to ff.
Ahh I see thanks the r6 is much more affordable as I don’t need the extra video resolution of the r5

I’ve not long had the 6D2 which is my first full frame really love the full frame image quality.
I’m still using the 7D 2 as I said for moving subjects
My next camera though will be the R6 it will be able to replace both cameras
Just blown away with that tracking eye focus the way it locks on and follows focus is just incredible
Just got to start saving :)

My 5DIII is my work horse in every sense, but it is getting dated and I'm thinking of replacements. Not even looked at the Canon mirrorless series, but have a cupboard full of Canon lenses so would hate to have to start all over again from square one replacing them all. I'll watch with interest. Maybe a new 5DIII is the answer for now, but time to start researching (and saving!!).

My 5DIII is my work horse in every sense, but it is getting dated and I'm thinking of replacements. Not even looked at the Canon mirrorless series, but have a cupboard full of Canon lenses so would hate to have to start all over again from square one replacing them all. I'll watch with interest. Maybe a new 5DIII is the answer for now, but time to start researching (and saving!!).

No, you wouldnt, Canon mirrorless offer native AF performance via an adapter.

Last edited:
Back