Canon 5Ds & 5Dr

Personally I think there's too much machismo in this.

Canon's may well be comparatively weak in DR and the arguments against this view do IMVHO seem to be rather desperate and defensive but there are other positives to the system and I see nothing wrong in admitting to the weaknesses and accepting the overall trade offs and benefits.

As a former and quite long term Canon user I can see some of the benefits the brand and system offer and I'm quite willing to accept that my own current choices of Sony A7 and Panasonic MFT have strengths and weaknesses and aren't right for everyone but on balance they're possibly the best for me.

Thought it was quite civilised compared to some threads.

But I have to say Twist that I'm not sure if you would be the right person to ask to recommend a camera to someone.

Can see the conversation going a bit like this.

PERSON. Hey Twist I need a new camera. What would you suggest?

TWIST. Well person just get the one with the biggest DR and you'll be just fine.

2 months later

PERSON. Got that camera Twist. Biggest DR on the market. 24 stops EV. Having a bit of trouble though photographing the racing cars I bought it for at 2.5 FPS

TWIST. I bet you can pull detail out of those tyre til you can see the grain of the rubber though.

PERSON. Yeah I can. Just wish I had a few more frames to do it on. :) :)

no hard feelings!!

You clearly have the wrong opinion of me!! I look at the whole picture. My comments were only always based on DR and nothing else, had we been discussing all features of a certain camera/s my opinion would be different, if I were recommending it would be based on the users requirements and also budget. Sure, no hard feelings!!

Haha this thread is impressive. Feel like im back in school. Fan boys need to can down abit. To think only 3 years ago us nikon shooters had the same dr how did we ever get by for so long without that extra dr. Yes its nice to have but, not having it doesnt make the camera redundant. . Have a look on 500px there are some sublime images taken with the likes of a d80 and that not a 0 missing.

Reactions: ST4
Haha this thread is impressive. Feel like im back in school. Fan boys need to can down abit. To think only 3 years ago us nikon shooters had the same dr how did we ever get by for so long without that extra dr. Yes its nice to have but, not having it doesnt make the camera redundant. . Have a look on 500px there are some sublime images taken with the likes of a d80 and that not a 0 missing.

Glad you cleared that up. Did anybody say not having it makes the camera redundant?

Posts like these are impressive.

Who said it makes a camera redundant?

Interesting poll on dpreview...

What's most important to you in a camera?
  • Dynamic range 23.9%
  • High ISO image quality 23.1%
  • AF performance 22.6%
  • Resolution 18.3%
  • Continuous shooting speed / buffer 10.2%
  • I don't care - I'm just putting pics on Facebook 1.8%
Total voters: 4,452

Interesting stuff indeed.

And to think the R should show even more detail .

Rob.

What an insane thread. I shoot Canon and would LOVE more DR. Anyone that claims they wouldn't is being daft. Sometimes I make mistakes and don't get quite the right exposure I wanted but that must make me a c**p photographer! Get real people, Twist never said it was the ONLY consideration or that Canon are crap (which he has repeatedly re-stated), just that Canon lagged behind others, which it does.

I for one, hope the next gen of Canons improve their DR capabilities. Who wouldn't?

What an insane thread. I shoot Canon and would LOVE more DR. Anyone that claims they wouldn't is being daft. Sometimes I make mistakes and don't get quite the right exposure I wanted but that must make me a c**p photographer! Get real people, Twist never said it was the ONLY consideration or that Canon are crap (which he has repeatedly re-stated), just that Canon lagged behind others, which it does.

I for one, hope the next gen of Canons improve their DR capabilities. Who wouldn't?

I don't care if they improve it or not. And I don't think I'm daft either.

Have not read the entire thread so please excuse if I am repeating anything. I currently shoot both Canon & Nikon and the Nikon bodies definitely give the best DR straight out of the camera. I am also certain that there are workarounds in PP/or bracket to compensate for this if you are using Canon. Most of my mates shoot Canon and no-one complains over a lack of DR.

Last edited:
Well Sony just answered what canon brought to the table with this camera. Yes it's only 8mp less then 50mp but if it has the Dr to boot. It could be a winner

Have not read the entire thread so please excuse if I am repeating anything. I currently shoot both Canon & Nikon and the Nikon bodies definitely give the best DR straight out of the camera. I am also certain that there are workarounds in PP/or bracket to compensate for this if you are using Canon. Most of my mates shoot Canon and no-one complains over a lack of DR.
Do they shoot high dynamic range scenes?

Coming over from Nikon to the Canon side I must just add the dynamic range is comparison, well there is no comparison! I have not used a 5Dr so can not say on this new mega pixel monster but Comparing say the 6D to the D610 or D800 the Nikon FF DSLR's completely muller the Canon's, with the Nikons I could shoot just exposing for the sky and the rest of the image dark and pull back 4stops of EV in the image. With the 6D your be lucky if you can get 1stop. This is an example of pulling 3stops back on a D610...
http://www.joeturnerphotography.co.uk/p693821431/h41f4dcb5#h41f4dcb5

Last edited:
Coming over from Nikon to the Canon side I must just add the dynamic range is comparison, well there is no comparison! I have not used a 5Dr so can not say on this new mega pixel monster but Comparing say the 6D to the D610 or D800 the Nikon FF DSLR's completely muller the Canon's, with the Nikons I could shoot just exposing for the sky and the rest of the image dark and pull back 4stops of EV in the image. With the 6D your be lucky if you can get 1stop. This is an example of pulling 3stops back on a D610...
http://www.joeturnerphotography.co.uk/p693821431/h41f4dcb5#h41f4dcb5
You get a lot more than 1 stop with the 6d!

Google is your friend ;)
I don't need google to know I've pulled far more than 1 useable stop from shadow detail on a 6d and even a 40 or 50d.

I know you love quoting Google but it's far better to come from the horses mouth don't you think??

Anyway we've had the DR bs, my question was what's a high DR scene? That's pretty much anything other than a white wall or pitch black room isn't it?

Last edited:
I don't need google to know I've pulled far more than 1 useable stop from shadow detail on a 6d and even a 40 or 50d.

I know you love quoting Google but it's far better to come from the horses mouth don't you think??

Anyway we've had the DR bs, my question was what's a high DR scene? That's pretty much anything other than a white wall or pitch black room isn't it?
I think you need to re read your own question and study the response I made.

Did I say Google to find out if you can pull more then 1 stop? Lmao

Love the colours above.

Took delivery on my 5Ds back end of last week. Bought as an addition opposed to replace any feature on either my 1DX or 5DIII. The images so far have been really great. (Will share some shortly). I spent the day using different lenses inclusing macro.

Looking forward to seeing some samples from your 5ds.

Off topic, does anyone know if there is a 24-70 IS in the works? After nikon announcement I am sure Canon will want to retaliate

Looking forward to seeing some samples from your 5ds.

Off topic, does anyone know if there is a 24-70 IS in the works? After nikon announcement I am sure Canon will want to retaliate

Canon do the 24-70mm f/4L IS, or the 24-70mm f/2.8 Mark II without IS which I can't see being replaced anytime soon as its's a fairly newish lens...

That's what I believe as well but was wondering if Canon would want to do something about nikon's announcement and if anyone knows anything on that

Disagree. The Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 Mk II is absolutely superb. There isn't going to be a huge number of people switching brands just to get a 24-70 f/2.8 with IS/VR.

Disagree. The Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 Mk II is absolutely superb. There isn't going to be a huge number of people switching brands just to get a 24-70 f/2.8 with IS/VR.
Agree with you there... However it's not jus about brand switching, it's about one up-manship isn't it? Canon do respond to the a market which is precisely why the 5ds exists

Last edited:
Agree with you there... However it's not jus about brand switching, it's about one up-manship isn't it? Canon do respond to the a market which is precisely why the 5ds exists
No they don't. If they did respond to the market we would have seen a 5d with a new sensor that beats a Sony sensor and also have a mirrorless camera that rivals an a7

No they don't. If they did respond to the market we would have seen a 5d with a new sensor that beats a Sony sensor and also have a mirrorless camera that rivals an a7
Sure. Maybe they don't spend on R&D as much on these particular competing technologies because they don't see that as an immediate threat. They did however bend to the market by going mirrorless didn't they?

As far as I can see, nikon is their biggest competitor and in the past they have responded to nikon's latest and greatest which is why I mentioned the 5ds.

The 5ds sensor maybe canons response to the Sony sensors but it's the first iteration of their super high MP sensor, who knows what the 5d mark 4 will bring.

Sure. Maybe they don't spend on R&D as much on these particular competing technologies because they don't see that as an immediate threat. They did however bend to the market by going mirrorless didn't they?

As far as I can see, nikon is their biggest competitor and in the past they have responded to nikon's latest and greatest which is why I mentioned the 5ds.

The 5ds sensor maybe canons response to the Sony sensors but it's the first iteration of their super high MP sensor, who knows what the 5d mark 4 will bring.

Actually, the 5Ds sensor has, as far as I can see, a similar performance to the 7D2 sensor in terms of DR and noise and it's to be hoped that Canon will bring out improvements in both these areas in their new bodies, whenever that is....and let's hope it's soon!!

George.

Back