Canon 7D mk2 owners thread.

Thanks for the answer, that's great - yes it is only 1/250 on the 5D3 which is no good for sports. I now want a 7D2 :)

Why would you think that a minimum shutter speed of 1/250 makes the 5D3 no good for sports?

Why would you think that a minimum shutter speed of 1/250 makes the 5D3 no good for sports?
5D3 on auto iso works a treat!
I use manual with auto ISO on my 5D3 a lot of the time and I agree it's great... but sometimes if I am shooting say, footballers with a background of hedges and fields, they can end up with over exposed faces because it meters for the mostly dark background. So sometimes I set the ISO to compensate rather than use auto ISO.

I can see that using aperture priority and setting shutter to a minimum of 1/1000s and aperture to it's widest, I would be able to use exposure compensation for such times.

I have tried partial and spot metering which I think does help on the 5D3, but I haven't tried any scientific tests.

edit: actually thinking about it, I often want to compensate the other way, almost as if it meters a bit dark, but either way, it would be nice to have the flexibility to compensate for exposure and keep a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000.

Last edited:
Gave the MkII an afternoon at the local rugby club to see how it fared against the 1Dx's. Colours came out a little different to the 1Dx's (need to dial it in a little) and it appears to be 2-3 stops behind in the noise stakes. The light was a bit flat and overcast and the following was 1/1000th at f/3.5, Iso 6400 on a 300/2.8. Minor cropping to the raw file to straighten and the usual PP and noise reduction malarkey in LR5 and Topaz . Iso 12800 was a bridge too far (for me at least) and detail loss became too obvious.
Bob

p940726020.jpg

Gave the MkII an afternoon at the local rugby club to see how it fared against the 1Dx's. Colours came out a little different to the 1Dx's (need to dial it in a little) and it appears to be 2-3 stops behind in the noise stakes. The light was a bit flat and overcast and the following was 1/1000th at f/3.5, Iso 6400 on a 300/2.8. Minor cropping to the raw file to straighten and the usual PP and noise reduction malarkey in LR5 and Topaz . Iso 12800 was a bridge too far (for me at least) and detail loss became too obvious.
Bob

Value your opinion Bob

Quick choice - 7D2 or or 1D4 ?

Value your opinion Bob

I think it's nip and tuck, Phil. The 1Dx/5D3/7D2 AF tracking seems to trump the MkIV but it's nigh on two years since I last used one so maybe I'm guessing a little on that point. I had to work harder on the 7D2 noise but I'm sure that the raw converter isn't fully optimised yet and I haven't created a camera profile for LR so it's been done with Adobe Standard.
Summing up....I don't think that I'd replace a 1D4 with the 7D2 (for sport) but at a similar price today I'd go for the newer technology if I was buying from scratch. Yesterday was probably it's first and last outing for sport, I bought it primarily to stick on the 600/4 for birding. In spite of the slower frame rate I think the 5D3 seems to be the better option for field sports unless the available lenses (length) are the weak link.

Bob

I have the same dilemma as Phil. Thinking about trading in my 1D4 for 7D2. Did anyone try it with Tamron 150-600mm?
I'm not certain that the resolution at the long end of a zoom will give you any additional benefit over cropping a 1D4 capture, Piotr, but the AF tracking might be beneficial if things are moving around quickly.

Bob

Another from yesterday's look-see at the rugby.....this time to illustrate "cropability". Shot at 1/1000, f/4 iso 400 on a 300/2.8. Cropping from a lower iso capture is, as you would expect, much more feasible than the iso 6400 shot a few posts earlier. This is about 1/9th of the total frame.
Bob

p152694777.jpg

A couple I got today, I was out birding when this Chinook came along.
7dmkII 600f4isLmkII +1.4tc mkIII 1/125sec f7.1 iso 100
Rob.

Quick question chaps, do we think B&H will reduce the 7DII on Black Friday. I have a friend going out next week and tempted to ask him to pick one up for me...?

Quick question chaps, do we think B&H will reduce the 7DII on Black Friday. I have a friend going out next week and tempted to ask him to pick one up for me...?
If you are willing to buy an import from America, then you may as well import from Hong Kong with someone like Panamoz. It would be a lot easier to fix/get sorted any problems. It would probably be cheaper too.

You pays your money, like takes your choice. ;-)

Be very surprised if they reduced it, and remember sales tax if he goes to the shop in NY ....along with all the other ramifications which I won't go in to again...

Value your opinion Bob

Phil, I think it depends on what you want.....the 1D4 has, I suspect (as it's a while since I used one) a better sensor performance, but of course less crop. The one thing I didn't like about the 1D4 was the fact that you could only use spot AF with non-zoom super tellys..and of course it didn't have auto iso and exposure compensation in that mode.
If it was me, I'd be going for the 7D2 I think, as Bob says it's newer technology and the AF is superior but.....it's 20 Mpx in a 1.6 crop with all that entails...Perhaps hire both and see what you think?

I think overall the 7DMkII has the edge over the MkIV but only because of its AF. I was happy with my MkIV up to about ISO 2000/2500. I could live without auto ISO etc.

I just wish Canon had put the MkII in a 1 series body because even with a grip attached to it it just doesn't feel as good in the hand as the integrated body. And that comment apples to the 5D3 as well.

....I just wish Canon had put the MkII in a 1 series body because even with a grip attached to it it just doesn't feel as good in the hand as the integrated body. And that comment apples to the 5D3 as well.
I'm of the opposite persuasion Gaz....the only reason that I have a 5D3 is to have something a little more compact than the 1Dx's (and this applies to the 7D2 equally).

On the same topic.....
Why don't they make the grips skirt and hug the bodies in the same way that Kirk and RRS Arca plates do. Stability on a tripod and, for what it's worth, appearance would both be improved.

Bob

I know some people hate grips Bob and I can see the advantage of having a choice but I've never used either my 5D3 without a grip and will never use the 7D without one either. But its horses for courses. I've got big hands and just find the larger bodies more comfortable.

May seem strange but I much prefer to have some weight in the camera as I find it easier to use slower shutter speeds.

I agree with you on the fit of the grip entirely.

I know some people hate grips Bob and I can see the advantage of having a choice but I've never used either my 5D3 without a grip and will never use the 7D without one either. But its horses for courses. I've got big hands and just find the larger bodies more comfortable.

May seem strange but I much prefer to have some weight in the camera as I find it easier to use slower shutter speeds.

I also prefer the weight and size of a 1srs for "hand holding" the setup but my 5D3 is mainly on the tripod for landscapes and the 7D2 will be hanging off the end of a gimbal mounted lens...anything else and it's big body time.

Bob

Just about to sell my 5D3 having bought the 7D and can't justify having 3 bodies. It will have to be the 1DX for landscapes from now on, not that I take many anyway, so have bought a Kirk L bracket it for it as I think they are the must have accessory for landscapes.

Phil, I think it depends on what you want.....the 1D4 has, I suspect (as it's a while since I used one) a better sensor performance, but of course less crop. The one thing I didn't like about the 1D4 was the fact that you could only use spot AF with non-zoom super tellys..and of course it didn't have auto iso and exposure compensation in that mode.
If it was me, I'd be going for the 7D2 I think, as Bob says it's newer technology and the AF is superior but.....it's 20 Mpx in a 1.6 crop with all that entails...Perhaps hire both and see what you think?

Cheers

I already have the 1D4 - it was just that I was considering the 7D2

I always use a grip but as I said once before, I wish the 1 series battery fitted the grip, ok I know the voltages are different but that's easily fixed, and it would dramatically improve the battery life on the 7D which for me is a potential issue and is another reason for me to get a grip!!

Yes I would agree the 1 series batteries would be a nice touch especially with the big teles.

I put Eneloop rechargeables in the AA holder of the grips and that stays in the bag. At least then I've got a fall back option. However its unlikely that I would go through the 4 batteries I have for it in a day.

Still haven't used mine in anger. Bought it before I went back to work so hoping for a few clear days in the next couple of weeks now in off for a while.

Yes I would agree the 1 series batteries would be a nice touch especially with the big teles.

I put Eneloop rechargeables in the AA holder of the grips and that stays in the bag. At least then I've got a fall back option. However its unlikely that I would go through the 4 batteries I have for it in a day.

Still haven't used mine in anger. Bought it before I went back to work so hoping for a few clear days in the next couple of weeks now in off for a while.
That's a good idea, Gary, with the Eneloops, must get some more, I use them in my flash equipment all the time.

After following this thread, reading many reviews, and having a very informative chat with George (thanks) on Tuesday evening, I have bought a 7D2.
Most suppliers were out of stock, but George had a contact that he checked with for me and they had stock. I placed the order yesterday (Wednesday) morning, and it was delivered today (Thursday), just 24 hours after placing the order.

The supplier is CVP who I had not heard of; I think they are predominately high end broadcast equipment suppliers with 5 branches.

I have to say that I am impressed with the service from CVP. The initial phone call was very friendly and helpful, and within a few hours of placing the order, I had had 5 emails, 4 texts, and 2 further phone calls confirming all the details and confirming the delivery time, I was given a 1 hour slot for delivery which was met.

I wouldn’t hesitate to deal with them again, we are quick to complain when things go wrong, but the opposite should apply and credit given where it’s due. Pricewise they are the same as everyone else on the 7D2, but that doesn’t surprise me. It’s got a full Canon UK warranty, isn’t a grey import, which for me is important, I want the security of Canon backup if things go wrong.

I am now waiting for the charger to do its work, and then it’s a steep learning curve for me.

I bought mine from CVP too. Like you, I hadn't heard of them before, but I headed over to the local branch for a pre-release presentation on the camera by Canon and Andy Rouse, and they offered such a good on the day discount I had to pre-order there and then.

I had a similar experience. They were very helpful, fast and informative throughout, and I would recommend them thoroughly.

Enjoy the new camera!

I got 2 from CVP having done the same day as MadWoman.

I didn't order on the day but managed to negotiate a deal when I called them up and then collected the same day.

Thumbs up for responsiveness

Does anyone know of any compatible shutter releases (preferably wireless but wired not a huge issue)? Do those designed for the 7D and 5dmkiii work?

The normal three pin wired one works so I would imagine that a wireless one will work also.

The light is poor here today and its misty, so I decided not to take the camera out birding.
I have done some comparison shots though, between the 7D1 and 7D2. All shots taken with a 100-400 at 400mm. Av 5.6. Not images that are meant to do anything else other than a camera comparison, I tried to get a view that included different surfaces.
Processed in LR but no changes made, no NR or sharpening, everything as shot, Image size reduced to 1024 max when they were converted to JPEG. No other processed applied.
The EXIF should all be intact.

TJS_4516 7D1 ISO 100 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

8Y4A0240 7D2 ISO 100 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

TJS_4517 7D1 ISO 800 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

8Y4A0241 7D2 ISO 800 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

TJS_4518 7D1 ISO 1600 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

8Y4A0243 7D2 ISO 1600 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

TJS_4520 7D1 ISO 3200 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

8Y4A0244 7D2 ISO 3200 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

Continued......

Last edited:
TJS_4521 7D1 ISO 6400 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

8Y4A0247 7D2 ISO 6400 by Trev4 Photography, on Flickr

This is only a simple test and not technical, but to my eyes there is an overall improvement with the 7D2, perhaps not as much as we all hoped for, but combined with the other improvements I feel it was a worthwhile upgrade. I still have to use it in anger but I hope these shots will help anyone still deciding.

Am I correct in thinking these are cropped, Trev?

No there's no cropping George, only a reduction in file size to upload here.

Last edited:
Back