Review Canon EOS 1D Mk3 - Review - Updated

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
The first of my first impressions,

Here are a couple of pics of the 1d next to my 20D with the grip on, it doesn't look toooo different until you turn it over.

Front
front.jpg

Back
back.jpg

First thing you notice is the grip is far more comfortable and fits your hand much better. Second thing you notice is that screen ! its absolutely massive !

The camera itself is immensely customisable, and has 4 sections for Custom Functions.

C-FN I : Exposure
C-FN II : Image/Flash Exposure/Display
C-FN III : Auto Focus/Drive
C-FN IV : Operation/Others

Most critical ones are in C-FN III.

I have to say after a day shooting at Gigrin, i cant point at any of the shots that were rubbish and say thats the Camera's fault, pretty much all of them i am certain was me, not tracking quickly enough, getting the exposure completely wrong or just plain being hopeless ;)

Heres my fave shot so far from the day, exif info is included below, this is purely, levels, resize, and a light USM on the lightness channel, ill add a 100% crop unedited when i am more awake. This is with the 1D Mk3 and 600 F4L with 1.4TC attached. Mounted on the Gitzo 2227 with a Wimberley Mk2 (this tripod needs replacing with something more sturdy really as this outfit is right on its max load)

0819-151014-01.jpg

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Image Date: 2007:08:19 15:10:14
Focal Length: 840.0mm
CCD Width: 5.06mm
Exposure Time: 0.0013 s (1/800)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 2500
White Balance: Auto

Yes, ISO 2500, it has a feature that when enabled in the C-FN can automatically change the ISO between 100 and 3200 to make sure it gets a correct exposure. No noise reduction has been applied to the image ! and it is uncropped.

0825-130728.jpg

Image Date: 2007:08:25 13:07:28
Flash Used: No
CCD Width: 3.37mm
ISO equiv: 1600
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)

Have now used the 1D Mk3 in anger at Gigrin and also Chester Zoo, im incredibly impressed by the handling and the quality of the images it produces. It has taken some getting used to, loads of new functions to get used to.

The Speed of the AF is truly amazing, the majority of pics i have thrown away since i got it have been due to

1) Bad framing (down to me)
2) Bad metering (down to me too)
3) Out of focus because i could not track quick enough (only at Gigrin so far)

I havent seen any of the issues being reported by other users, its possible i have a good one, its also possible i have been lucky and not experienced the exact conditions that need to be met for the failures to occur.

Downside - I need Photoshop CS3 now as CS2 camera raw doesnt support it :( this has been the only downside of the whole thing, none of my editing software that i use everyday can read the raw files from the MK3, im having to use the Canon supplied software, create a tiff of the image i want to edit and then open that with CS2, i will be sourcing a copy of either CS3 or Lightroom or both in the near future, just need to recover the savings to do so :)

Is all i can think of for now, i will add any thoughts as and when i come across any issues or anything i can add :)

I'm very happy with the purchase, and have no regrets as yet, just need to get out more with it now :)

Hope my ramblings make sense for some people :)

Wow great review Ian :LOL:

I like it, its a great insight to his new camera.

He's so busy playing with it, less than 15 words about the actual thing is all he can manage.

:p

Phew! A bit of a chore wading through all that, but I do feel informed now. :LOL:

Hi all this will turn into a proper review of the 1D in time, i have only had it a day so this is just an initial thought

I need Photoshop CS3 now as CS2 camera raw doesnt support it :(

Welcome to my world :(
I can't get CS to open files from my 5D

hurry up and get the review sorted, 1 day is more than enough time.

Hi Ian,
Don't forget to post some sample pics. I also think people will be interested in the AF issue. One tog that I spoke to briefly that had one claimed the only problem he had was dust on the sensor, but AF was good. However he was a night time paparazzi, so wouldn't be in the conditions mentioned that have AF issues.

Mr IanC_UK..

I'm sorry but there are no redeeming features to this new review of yours at all.. :(

What were you focusing on? The whole thing is OOF! Did you have CFn666 set to 3 or something while trying to catch the action? :nono:

The composition, if I can even use that word when referring to this review is non-existent. Words are all over the place in a chaotic jumble that you probably think is avant garde and very clever. Well it's not. It's a mess. :eek:

I think buying such a highly advanced word processing package was too much TBH. I suggest you go get a notepad and pencil, pick up the basics first, then come back to us with a more coherent review. :p ;)

I think what you mean here is, I've just spent XXXX and have to spend another XXX. How will I explain that to the other half.

LOL i havent got an other half at the mo, so dont need to worry about that, just have to justify it to myself, and spending on computers is a difficult one for me !

I have started adding proper thoughts to the review now, hope they are helpful to somebody :)

That's an awesome pic - nice and sharp [1]

[1] this is an understatement

looks seriously good that Ian, I liked the ISO feature on the model I used, its just a variation of the safety shift employed on the 2 and 2n in TV AV mode, but a very welcome feature if you ask me, look forward to the rest of the review.

Downside - I need Photoshop CS3 now as CS2 camera raw doesnt support it :( this has been the only downside of the whole thing, none of my editing software that i use everyday can read the raw files from the MK3, im having to use the Canon supplied software, create a tiff of the image i want to edit and then open that with CS2.

Ian

In a lot of tests I have done for clients with diffrent editing software Canons DPP, resolves more tonal range and detail than ACR 4.1 will, a few of my clients prefer it to ACR and do as you are doing, I find that DPP latest version is a very capable RAW converter.

Nice review by the way.

HI Ian,
Very good to read your real review. What camera were you using before as a comparison. I'm toying between a mk111 of mk11n or maybe a secondhand 1dsmk11 when the new one comes out. Choices, choices!
Your review is proving most helpful.

HI Ian,
Very good to read your real review. What camera were you using before as a comparison. I'm toying between a mk111 of mk11n or maybe a secondhand 1dsmk11 when the new one comes out. Choices, choices!
Your review is proving most helpful.

Hi,

Thanks, i was using a 20D before, still got it in fact, i dont think you could go wrong with any of the Mk2 cameras, even the older Mk1's are still excellent cameras. If i was looking now and couldnt stretch to a 3 a low usage Mk2N would definitely be on my list, the 1DS2 will drop prices soon now the Mk3 is coming out, but still wont be cheap!

Image Date: 2007:08:19 15:10:14
CCD Width: 5.06mm
ISO equiv: 2500

CCD Width: 3.37mm

CCD width?

Hi IanC. I'm keeping a close eye on your pictures re the mk111 AF issues. I've just seen in the big cat thread, can you keep us posted on that.
I've also seen elsewhere that canon are trying firmwear 1.1.1 which may have resolved the issue.
cheers

Will do, it only seems to affect shots of things moving directly towards you which seems odd, which is why im trying to work out if its me (half a ton of Tiger running at you does get the heart pounding even with a fence ;))) or if the camera did indeed have a issue.

Ian I would like to have your opinion on this as you are now playing with one of these babies:razz::D

I have had a gripe with this so-called AF issue from day 1 as I would like to believe that the AF can track any constantly moving object.

Problem was that, on the review site, they tracked an athlete girl with hands flapping into and out of the af zone.

Surely no AF system in existence can keep up with this, right?

Would like to get your opinion.

Cheers
Anton

Back