Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

Doesn't surprise me. Gimmick feature tbh. They should work on auto lens microadjustment in camera like the D5 etc has
Apparently that's more of a gimmick too as it's too inconsistent and gives different results every time you use it. TBH I don't know why they add the feature until it's working right.

Apparently that's more of a gimmick too as it's too inconsistent and gives different results every time you use it. TBH I don't know why they add the feature until it's working right.
I think tbh with the random nature of AF, it will never be perfect.

Retailers aren't taking advantage at all. You expect them to make no money on what they sell? Retailers need to make around 8% as a whole otherwise overheads etc will see a forced closure.

8% of what? The rate will be very different when you compare a little gift shop to a high end HiFi shop for example or a premier jeweller - 8% of their weeks takings would be hugely different I'd suggest.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but the Canon UK site has the IV preorder page up and the price is £3629.99

Me. I quite often find myself travelling to countries and on routes where carry on luggage weight is quite restricted. To have decent video incorporated in my DSLR is something I value. The number of times I've come across something that needs video as well as stills is significant: an unexpected but beautiful performance of traditional singing in a church in Iceland, whales/elephant seals/penguins doing their thing in the Antarctic, pedicycle trips in the Hutongs in Beijing, for example.

With you on this. Came across a choir practice in a tiny church in Venice. Stunning to capture the sound.

I don't think anyone will be impressed with thr 5Div 4k ability, but like has been said in this thread, it's not important to a lot of you 5Dx shooters.

Does kind of make me wonder why they have 4k at all though? I mean if they thought it important enough to include, why do it so badly? Very strange imo.

because the competitors have it and it would be expected. Imagine the comments if the didnt have 4k video?
And why badly? Dual Pixel AF and focus tracking is a godsend for videography.

The only issue I can see is that it doesn't have 4k hdmi output for external recorders, but the 1Dx mk2 does, plus, honestly as have been said before, if you're serious about video then Canon would like you to use the C100 or C300.

So whats badly?

Last edited:
There's no Adobe support for the 5D4 files yet, any idea if/how to convert them to DNG? I've got adobe's dng converter but it doesn't recognise the files.

No surprise there. Adobe regularly update their raw support just before, or just after a cameras release. I think we had to wait a couple of weeks for the 5D mk3 support.

Actually it does possibly look a touch better in the shadows, less purple colour shift too. Looks better than the D810 too. Will be nice when I can load it up in LR and get rid of the chroma noise to see what the luminance noise it like, see if it's finer than the 5D3.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...&x=-0.11902193455591506&y=-0.9689011284255779

The whole of the review comes across quite favourable, addressing dynamic range etc

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-first-impressions-review

because the competitors have it and it would be expected. Imagine the comments if the didnt have 4k video?
And why badly? The only issue I can see is that it doesn't have 4k hdmi output for external recorders, but the 1Dx mk2 does, plus, honestly as have been said before, if you're serious about video then Canon would like you to use the C100 or C300.

So whats badly?

By badly I was combining the crop (so no way of using wide angle), the file size (massive due to file format) and the HDMI.

Doesn't matter to me personally as I don't use 4K (I use video but 1080 which looks fine on 5Div) and not changing cameras anyway as happy with what I have. Just seems crippled for 4K

Why can't you use a wide angle lens?

And technically you can understand the reason for the crop, how else would you take a 30mp sensor and reduce the image to 4K resolution? Discard 3 out of every 4 pixels? In body rescaling hardware probably wouldn't have fitted, software would probably be slow and unusable, so taking a snapshot area of the required resolution seems like an obvious design choice.

Video file size. Are you jumping on the same bandwagon as some others saying it should use h264? Bashing the camera as it's trendy to do so?

1dxmk2 uses mjpeg, so why are you surprised the 5d mk4 does?
Mjpeg is a higher quality 500mbps, 8 bit 4:2:2, which makes it broadcast quality accepted, some competitors only have 4:2:0 , which isn't.
Yup this increases file size, but that's the trade off for the quality. It's aimed at professionals after all.
If you want small video sizes, pick a lessor body from the range.

Why can't you use a wide angle lens?

You can use a wide angle lens, but not getting the correct focal length? Say you want a shot at 16mm, how?

Say you want stills and video at the same focal length, might mean a lens change. It's hardly ideal is my point (and other FF cameras can do this).

Just seen your new post regarding file size. An hour of 4k footage from an A7rii is around 40gb. Same on 5Div over 200gb. Not sure if you've even edited large video files, but this will need one hell of a PC/Mac to do so in any reasonable time frame. And as has already been pointed out, this camera isn't aimed at pro video makers.

I'm sure the 5Div will be a great stills camera and sell fantastically well. Also I'm sure the 1080 footage will be great (especially the focus). But not a 4k solution, which was my original point.

The whole of the review comes across quite favourable, addressing dynamic range etc

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-first-impressions-review
It's dynamic range and noise that will sway me I think. I've fallen out with Nikon at the moment and seriously considering changing. However, noise and DR are really important factors in my photography and as much as I'd like to change I can't lose 3ev DR by changing to the 5D3 so I'm hoping the 5D4 is considerably better.

It's dynamic range and noise that will sway me I think. I've fallen out with Nikon at the moment and seriously considering changing. However, noise and DR are really important factors in my photography and as much as I'd like to change I can't lose 3ev DR by changing to the 5D3 so I'm hoping the 5D4 is considerably better.
Whats wrong with nikon?

As bad as Sony?
With the experiences I've had I would say worse. Sony fixed my issue first time around, Nikon 4 attempts and counting. And then of course there have been the two recalls.

With the experiences I've had I would say worse. Sony fixed my issue first time around, Nikon 4 attempts and counting. And then of course there have been the two recalls.
Wow in shocked. I saw a video by Matt granger moaning how Sony customer service is very bad and how nikon is superior. Then again that was in Australia so maybe nikon sucks in the UK?

Wow in shocked. I saw a video by Matt granger moaning how Sony customer service is very bad and how nikon is superior. Then again that was in Australia so maybe nikon sucks in the UK?
Dunno, I can only speak from my experience.

You can use a wide angle lens, but not getting the correct focal length? Say you want a shot at 16mm, how?

Say you want stills and video at the same focal length, might mean a lens change. It's hardly ideal is my point (and other FF cameras can do this).

Use the still capture from the footage? But to be honest how many times is this done, wanting both at the same focal length? Seems a little nit picking from another Sony user? Are you in the market for the 5D mk4?

Just seen your new post regarding file size. An hour of 4k footage from an A7rii is around 40gb. Same on 5Div over 200gb. Not sure if you've even edited large video files, but this will need one hell of a PC/Mac to do so in any reasonable time frame. And as has already been pointed out, this camera isn't aimed at pro video makers.

I'm sure the 5Div will be a great stills camera and sell fantastically well. Also I'm sure the 1080 footage will be great (especially the focus). But not a 4k solution, which was my original point.

Ah we get it - it's not as good as the Sony :) Why not complain about the increased file size from the larger sensor from stills whilst you're at it?
The a7R II records 8-bit 4:2:0 4K (UHD) video at 24/25 fps internally to SD cards using Sony’s XAVC S codec, which is available at bitrates of 50 Mbps or 100 Mbps. (compressed mpg4).
It's about 750Mb per minute, so yes around 45Gb for the hour.
As said the 5D mk4 is broadcast quality rated, 500Mbps, so yes the file size will be larger, as the quality is higher and the compression less, probably around 225Gb. A little estrange complaining about quality then complaining about file sizes when the quality is significantly better than other offerings.

The camera is aimed at professional photographers who also make videos, or the ability to include video, or to those who include it in broadcast and programme making. You do know that stations such as QVC shot a lot of their productions on the 5D mk3? A lot of independent films were shot on the 5D mk3. Fast disks are relatively cheap for the initial work, large disk storage is the norm. And lets face it, if the non pro buys the body, then they usually have the income to also buy the glass and a decent processing infrastructure (pc/mac etc) behind it. £2k buys a lot of grunt these days (or 3K if buying a Mac).

And since we're comparing the sony, doesn't this also offer the crop mode (Super 35) that you dislike, but isn't this also the sharper video of the two offerings, reduced moire, not grainy on high ISO? And since we're talking Sony - hows the rolling shutter problem on video, especially pronounced on super 35 mode.

Last edited:

Once the real world reviews start coming out it'll be interesting to see if Canon have caught up or overtaken Nikon/Sony on the noise and dynamic range. I'd expect overtaken briefly until the next offerings by the others, but then thats the arms race :D

I don't understand the swapping of whole systems to be honest. If you've invested into one, its usually very expensive to swap, and disappointing when the other brand leap frogs again.

Once the real world reviews start coming out it'll be interesting to see if Canon have caught up or overtaken Nikon/Sony on the noise and dynamic range. I'd expect overtaken briefly until the next offerings by the others, but then thats the arms race :D

I don't understand the swapping of whole systems to be honest. If you've invested into one, its usually very expensive to swap, and disappointing when the other brand leap frogs again.
It's also stupid to stick with one brand too. Why limit yourself gear wise?

Me. I quite often find myself travelling to countries and on routes where carry on luggage weight is quite restricted. To have decent video incorporated in my DSLR is something I value. The number of times I've come across something that needs video as well as stills is significant: an unexpected but beautiful performance of traditional singing in a church in Iceland, whales/elephant seals/penguins doing their thing in the Antarctic, pedicycle trips in the Hutongs in Beijing, for example.

So true - and one of the reasons why I upgraded from 1DX to 1DX mkII ...
These days many of my clients want stills and some video.. so to be able to do this with the DSLR bodies (with AF, etc) .. it's just what I needed.

Carry-on luggage and your lugging around a DSLR for hybrid shooting when something like a sony or panasonic does a better job with less weight............

I doubt they'll leapfrog either Sony or Nikon tbh, that would mean better sensor performance than both the 1DX-II and 5DS in terms of DR and noise, and I can't see them beating their flagship with one lower in their range tbh.

It's not about swapping due to a new camera being released that may or may not be better than what I have already, it's due to losing faith in a brand as I mentioned earlier (y)

Because the difference in quality for the end user doesn't justify the expense and inconvenience?
Then they are not limited by there gear.

I am talking about those limited by there gear mate. not ones who are happy shooting with what they got

I doubt they'll leapfrog either Sony or Nikon tbh, that would mean better sensor performance than both the 1DX-II and 5DS in terms of DR and noise, and I can't see them beating their flagship with one lower in their range tbh.

The sensor is supposed to be better than the 5Ds. I think I'd prefer to see some reviews once people are used to using it, rather than rushing out a review before release.

I am talking about those limited by there gear mate. not ones who are happy shooting with what they got

It's all about the light - anyone know where I can get a light source like the sun, portable, not very hot, low cost, or maybe just a gravity device to move the earth around to put the sun just where I want it for the perfect light... along with a dimmer

Not sure what you mean by 'limited by there (sic) gear?

Photographers have been creating magnificent images for over a hundred years, with gear that was far less capable than we have available today.

Maybe people blaming the gear for their limitations really haven't got a clue how to use it.

It's all about the light - anyone know where I can get a light source like the sun, portable, not very hot, low cost, or maybe just a gravity device to move the earth around to put the sun just where I want it for the perfect light... along with a dimmer

well technically you can buy light.strobes flashes etc and they aint cheap...

Not sure what you mean by 'limited by there (sic) gear?

Photographers have been creating magnificent images for over a hundred years, with gear that was far less capable than we have available today.

Maybe people blaming the gear for their limitations really haven't got a clue how to use it.

So why dont we all shoot with our iphones then?

Someone else sported the same argument as you and many replied saying although there were pros shooting on a pinhole camera, standards and tech have advanced since then to make capturing and doing a job easier.

Things like DR, ISO performance, mp count all aatribute to making things easier.

well technically you can buy light.strobes flashes etc and they aint cheap...

So why dont we all shoot with our iphones then?

Someone else sported the same argument as you and many replied saying although there were pros shooting on a pinhole camera, standards and tech have advanced since then to make capturing and doing a job easier.

Things like DR, ISO performance, mp count all aatribute to making things easier.
You clearly never understood my post. I'm not suggesting we all go out with pinhole cameras, that's idiotic. But frankly so are people complaining that the best from any modern manufacturer is 'good enough' to produce fantastic images?

That's not even a question, it's an irrefutable fact as I see fantastic images all the time.

Actually some can defintly limit your shooting. such as poor ISO, poor AF, poor DR and small MP not able to print large prints etc etc.

You clearly never understood my post. I'm not suggesting we all go out with pinhole cameras, that's idiotic. But frankly so are people complaining that the best from any modern manufacturer is 'good enough' to produce fantastic images?

That's not even a question, it's an irrefutable fact as I see fantastic images all the time.
i don think you understood me either?

i said gear can limit your shooting. its not just about ability mate. You need the tools to do the task at hand

Back