Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

Actually some can defintly limit your shooting. such as poor ISO, poor AF, poor DR and small MP not able to print large prints etc etc.
We're talking about the latest camera from the best selling brand in the world, not a Pentax P&S

i don think you understood me either?

i said gear can limit your shooting. its not just about ability mate. You need the tools to do the task at hand
Stop calling me 'mate', please, it makes you sound like a complete MOD EDIT: OI!

Edit to add: Fair enough! :coat:

Last edited:
We're talking about the latest camera from the best selling brand in the world, not a Pentax P&S
i personally dont just follow what is the best selling product.

i go by what my needs are and what tool does the job. 4 years ago the 5d3 did the trick but as i grew with the equipment and grew in terms of my needs and style of shooting, the 5d3 diddnt cut it anymore and especially when there was other manufactureres who cater more for my needs for specific cases i jumped on it(in this case a7r2) so that i am not limiting myself at say 6400ISO on the 5d3 and not shooting high DR scenes and also lugging around a large dslr in parties/informal events not specific for camera work.

the a7r2 ticks all those. Small enough to be used almost everywhere i go, great ISO, DR etc etc.

life is too short to limit yourself.Enjoy

Actually some can defintly limit your shooting. such as poor ISO, poor AF, poor DR and small MP not able to print large prints etc etc.

Exodus 20:17
"You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

Although a medium format camera..... :D

The sensor is supposed to be better than the 5Ds. I think I'd prefer to see some reviews once people are used to using it, rather than rushing out a review before release.
Hope so the 5DS isn't great in this department, although I know that's not exactly what the sensor has been designed for. I would hope that the 5D4 would at least match the DR of the 1DX-II which would put it somewhere close to Nikon (1ev off), but as per my post above I'd be surprised if Canon give it better DR than the flagship. Actually, thinking about it that's exactly what Nikon have done by releasing the D5 with the sensor that has so maybe Canon will. Not sure how much the dual pixel influences DR? But I'm certainly not rushing out to buy it, I'll wait for the facts about performance, see how good the sensor it, see how good the post AF shift actually is in the real world etc etc before deciding.

The file sizes being that big is nothing to do with broadcast quality, it's to do with using the s***tiest video codec known to man mjpeg

The file sizes being that big is nothing to do with broadcast quality, it's to do with using the s***tiest video codec known to man mjpeg
Ok so lets look at the possibilities.

Mjpeg - Best image quality, low cpu loading (simple formula, low compression, but hence high file size), good compatability,
H264 - Best compression rate/smallest file size, but because of this there's heavy cpu loading, bith in recording and in editing. Whilst Mjpeg needs larger storage, h264 needs grunty cpu for editing. H264 also suffers at times from artifacts
Mpeg4 - Middle ground, easy to compress but at times mediocre quality and compression rate.

So Canon have decided to use the same codec as in the 1DX mk2 yet suddenly this is an issue in the 5D mk4 yet not the 1DX mk2?
There's pros and cons for all - Canon have chosen quality for their two flagship models.

Storage is cheap, however I do think the lack of 4K hdmi output is a mistake and will be rectified with a firmware update at sometime, so external recorders could be used.
Or not, maybe Canons strategy is to push serious video users to the C100/C300

Am I the only person who takes video but not interested in 4K :)

The way I look at it is most people will view files on either a laptop or phone where good 1080p footage will look great. If it's for YouTube, I up sample the footage in PremPro when outputting, so the files are easy to work with in post first (only up sample as Youtube has a higher bitrate for 4k footage).

Am I the only person who takes video but not interested in 4K :)

The way I look at it is most people will view files on either a laptop or phone where good 1080p footage will look great. If it's for YouTube, I up sample the footage in PremPro when outputting, so the files are easy to work with in post first (only up sample as Youtube has a higher bitrate for 4k footage).

My iPhone does 4K :) the in body intervalometer is also a nice feature, I haven't used Lightroom before but if they add the duel pixel raw, I think it will be useful when I use the 85 1.2, if you just miss the eye, you might be able to salvage the picture, I'll just have to remember to turn it on and off when switching lenses.

Also, swivel screen isn't necessary is it? you could just use your smart phone connected via wifi, a hotshoe ball head with a smartphone grip would give you a hands free external screen that will swivel any way you want.

Using quidco will get you £100ish off the price too if buying from wex, if anybody had forgotten about cash back.

My iPhone does 4K :) the in body intervalometer is also a nice feature, I haven't used Lightroom before but if they add the duel pixel raw, I think it will be useful when I use the 85 1.2, if you just miss the eye, you might be able to salvage the picture, I'll just have to remember to turn it on and off when switching lenses.

Also, swivel screen isn't necessary is it? you could just use your smart phone connected via wifi, a hotshoe ball head with a smartphone grip would give you a hands free external screen that will swivel any way you want.

Using quidco will get you £100ish off the price too if buying from wex, if anybody had forgotten about cash back.

I've always wondered what the point is of 4K on a phone?! The sensor and lenses don't lend themselves well to the resolution IMO.

however I do think the lack of 4K hdmi output is a mistake and will be rectified with a firmware update at sometime, so external recorders could be used.
Or not, maybe Canons strategy is to push serious video users to the C100/C300

The 5D Mk4 only has v1.3 HDMI chipset so never will output 4k, according to Canon via twitter.

The 5D Mk4 only has v1.3 HDMI chipset so never will output 4k, according to Canon via twitter.
Hum not mentioned yesterday
https://www.parkcameras.com/events

and not showing on the canon account. In fact the only place it's showing is on canon rumours
the 5D IV only has a Full HD hdmi output as HDMI 1.3 chips only where available during the design phase

Which doesn't make sense seeing as it shares a lot with the 1DX mk2, hence why I think it's firmware limited.

Hum not mentioned yesterday
https://www.parkcameras.com/events

and not showing on the canon account. In fact the only place it's showing is on canon rumours
the 5D IV only has a Full HD hdmi output as HDMI 1.3 chips only where available during the design phase

Which doesn't make sense seeing as it shares a lot with the 1DX mk2, hence why I think it's firmware limited.

The 1DX2 also does not support 4K out :)

Another point Dan at learning cameras made on his YouTube video was the 5d4 isn't great for video... But for stills, you technically get 30fps at 8.x mp... So that's not bad if you need it

Spoke to a guy from Canon today and he said that you'll be able to buy the MkIV towards the end of next week and they have plenty of stock. He also said that the announcement should have been a little while ago but got delayed hence plenty of stock. He had one there for a play.

This looks quite promising, pushed +4ev I can't see much difference from my D750 and I've never pushed my files more than 2ev let alone 4ev. Granted it starts to deteriorate after that in comparison to Nikon but that's far what I would go past. On saying that, when you change shadows in LR the changes aren't in ev like exposure is so I don't know how many ev equivalents say +30 shadows lift is. Does anyone know how it equates?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/32297...tic-dynamic-range-improvements-to-the-5d-line

Good to see canon finally close that gap down still behind but no longer the gapping chasm!

Now here's hoping the 80D sensor is in the next eos m!

Good to see canon finally close that gap down still behind but no longer the gapping chasm!

Now here's hoping the 80D sensor is in the next eos m!
It's not the sensor design that changed dramatically, apparently they've just moved the circuitry nearer the sensor which cuts down the noise built up between sensor and processor. It sounds so simple I wonder why it took so long to realise.

It's not the sensor design that changed dramatically, apparently they've just moved the circuitry nearer the sensor which cuts down the noise built up between sensor and processor. It sounds so simple I wonder why it took so long to realise.

They have embedded the adc in the sensor which I think is more complicated than shortening some wires!

The issue with etching the ADC and amplifier on the same die is that area used for those is lost to the light sensor. Then you have the problem of getting the data off synchronously at those data speeds, the length of the signal traces are critical. It's an obvious thing to try but difficult to design.

Canon have been showing great promise in some of their prototypes. DR improvements, phase correlation focussing, huge ISO ranges... Hopefully it will come together into one sensor.

Canon Rep Responds to Criticism over 5D Mark 4 Release (Hands on Review)

Some interesting info here

How long after release was it that the 5D3's price dropped significantly?

How long after release was it that the 5D3's price dropped significantly?

It was about 6 months, if I remember right. It dropped £600 from the launch price £2995.00 when it first went on sale. But that price has pretty much stayed the same last 4 years. Looking at the 5ds/r they haven't dropped much at all since launch and I think this new camera will be the same for a while, until everyone has got one.

has anyone seen if there is a 1.6 crop mode for the stills? If so what resolution would it be?
I dunno if it's just me but all these crop modes are a load of muck, every shot you take in full frame mode can be cropped to the same extent.

That maybe so, but being in camera its one step less when in pp and it would be the same fov as my 7dmk2, I would like to see how the image compared to a 7d2 file.
Trouble is that it doesn't give that field of view in the viewfinder, and from my experience on the D750 no different to cropping in post. It would be nice if the image in the VF was 'zoomed in' and so that subject was larger in the frame making it easier for AF placement, but you'd need an EVF for that.

Trouble is that it doesn't give that field of view in the viewfinder, and from my experience on the D750 no different to cropping in post. It would be nice if the image in the VF was 'zoomed in' and so that subject was larger in the frame making it easier for AF placement, but you'd need an EVF for that.
This ! Thanks dude

Back