Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread

Swiss francs aren't so closely tied to euro as they used to be and against USD I don't see any impact from brexit

Try looking at the States, they're paying nearly £900 less than we are, similarly Japan.

Last edited:
If we all club together, one person can go over there and bring a suitcase back full of them! I'm happy paying £2700...

If we all club together, one person can go over there and bring a suitcase back full of them! I'm happy paying £2700...

I'm off in November... ;)

Last edited:
I have a 5Ds and the pixel pitch is roughly the same as my 7D MK I because of the size of the sensor. Even though the size of the photocell sites are roughly the same the dynamic range of the 5Ds is much much better. Their sensors have come a long way in 5 years.

Due to illness i now struggle to use larger DSLR's, yes i'd love to own it, but i'll probably wait for a GH5, providing they don't cripple that too.

I'm disappointed with a lot of aspects of this new Canon, and you disagree with me, che sarà, sarà

I'm disappointed with a lot of things, but generally they don't concern me so I don't worry too much.

As an upgrade to my heavily used 5D mk3 I can see this as a worthy upgrade when the price levels out to the norm. I can see it's not a camera for a compact shooter.

I rest my case m'lud.

Last edited:
It's the published price from Canon.

Which has kind of been my point for quite a few posts now [emoji52]

I took a look at a few sites and the price is always excluding sales tax (as varies between states). Like for like excl tax is a much smaller difference and won't pay the cost of the trip so unpacking bags now :)

How many here actually do video?

Me. I quite often find myself travelling to countries and on routes where carry on luggage weight is quite restricted. To have decent video incorporated in my DSLR is something I value. The number of times I've come across something that needs video as well as stills is significant: an unexpected but beautiful performance of traditional singing in a church in Iceland, whales/elephant seals/penguins doing their thing in the Antarctic, pedicycle trips in the Hutongs in Beijing, for example.

Me. I quite often find myself travelling to countries and on routes where carry on luggage weight is quite restricted. To have decent video incorporated in my DSLR is something I value. The number of times I've come across something that needs video as well as stills is significant: an unexpected but beautiful performance of traditional singing in a church in Iceland, whales/elephant seals/penguins doing their thing in the Antarctic, pedicycle trips in the Hutongs in Beijing, for example.
Your a minority. The 5d main usage is for stills and I wished they just dropped video recording completely.

If you are after a hybrid why ain't you on the Sony train. Far superior for hybrid.

I would imagine the 5D3 let alone the 5D4 is suitable for this isn't it?

Your a minority. The 5d main usage is for stills and I wished they just dropped video recording completely.

Minority or not, you asked a question and I responded. That a minority use it for video demonstrates that a minority find it useful. It doesn't exactly make it significantly heavier. Perhaps a few grams. Just ignore the switch and the menu entries if it's such a problem..

If you are after a hybrid why ain't you on the Sony train. Far superior for hybrid.

I'm not 'after' a hybrid. I use a 5D3 and a 7D2 and I use them *mainly* for stills. I use them for video when the occasion calls.

Last edited:
I took a look at a few sites and the price is always excluding sales tax (as varies between states). Like for like excl tax is a much smaller difference and won't pay the cost of the trip so unpacking bags now :)

Nope, the $3400 price is the Canon RRP including taxes. If you see a higher US price it's the retailer bumping up day one prices.

Us sales tax is an average of only 9% anyway, so even if you add that in (which you shouldn't from Canon's RRP) it is still a LOT less than UK prices.

Edit - just put a pre order into my basket on b&h photo, total to pay is $3499. Sales tax included.

However, if you import to the UK they automatically add 20% UK VAT and customs handling duties and charges.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone will be impressed with thr 5Div 4k ability, but like has been said in this thread, it's not important to a lot of you 5Dx shooters.

Does kind of make me wonder why they have 4k at all though? I mean if they thought it important enough to include, why do it so badly? Very strange imo.

Nope, the $3400 price is the Canon RRP including taxes. If you see a higher US price it's the retailer bumping up day one prices.

Us sales tax is an average of only 9% anyway, so even if you add that in (which you shouldn't from Canon's RRP) it is still a LOT less than UK prices.

Edit - just put a pre order into my basket on b&h photo, total to pay is $3499. Sales tax included.

However, if you import to the UK they automatically add 20% UK VAT and customs handling duties and charges.

Ah yes I just tried and saw the same...it does close the gap quite a bit.

However, if you import to the UK they automatically add 20% UK VAT.

Jim, the B and H price is USD 3499 at the moment, no matter what the shipping price is if it comes in legit you'll be paying VAT, so 3499@ 1.25 USD-1GBP is 2800 plus vat and shipping.....GBP 3360....not such a saving when you've still got shipping.

There will be no US sales tax added as it's an "out of state transaction" so your statement "including sales tax" is misleading...........just be careful, I'm only trying to point out the pitfalls.

George.

Minority or not, you asked a question and I responded. That a minority use it for video demonstrates that a minority find it useful. It doesn't exactly make it significantly heavier. Perhaps a few grams. Just ignore the switch and the menu entries if it's such a problem..

I'm not 'after' a hybrid. I use a 5D3 and a 7D2 and I use them *mainly* for stills. I use them for video when the occasion calls.
Well my point is most people here use a 5d series for stills.

Go grab a Sony if you occasionally shoot video.

Jim, the B and H price is USD 3499 at the moment, no matter what the shipping price is if it comes in legit you'll be paying VAT, so 3499@ 1.25 USD-1GBP is 2800 plus vat and shipping.....GBP 3360....not such a saving when you've still got shipping.

There will be no US sales tax added as it's an "out of state transaction" so your statement "including sales tax" is misleading...........just be careful, I'm only trying to point out the pitfalls.

George.

So the savings do not cover the cost of a flight unless you are going for other reasons and can exclude that cost. Not sure what happens with warranty.

George.

Oh I know, I'm referring to RRP by country. A US citizen can buy the 5d4 and take it home for $3499. Just emphasising the unit price, it's only significantly more in the UK for the reasons I've already discussed.

So the savings do not cover the cost of a flight unless you are going for other reasons and can exclude that cost. Not sure what happens with warranty.

I can tell you........it used to be the case that there was a reciprocal arrangement between UK and US Canon bodies, that was scrapped approx 2-3 years ago, and if you have a problem with a US purchased body it either will be a chargeable repair here or would have to be repaired in the US under warranty.

Same goes for US purchased lenses.

George.

I'm not 100% sure but I think you should only pay the extra vat...still a saving. The other way around coming into Switzerland I go through the red channel and only have to pay the VAT.

I can tell you........it used to be the case that there was a reciprocal arrangement between UK and US Canon bodies, that was scrapped approx 2-3 years ago, and if you have a problem with a US purchased body it either will be a chargeable repair here or would have to be repaired in the US under warranty.

George.
Aren't Canon lenses worldwide warranty like Nikon then?

Thanks for this. Initial impressions aren't great, at 12800 it doesn't look much better (if at all) to the 5D3, and still worse than the D750 (I've been considering swapping my D750 for Canon). However, it will be interesting to see what it's like after downsampling.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...t=1&x=0.131247752606976&y=-0.9946937130574962
There's no Adobe support for the 5D4 files yet, any idea if/how to convert them to DNG? I've got adobe's dng converter but it doesn't recognise the files.

Initial impressions aren't great, at 12800 it doesn't look much better (if at all) to the 5D3, and still worse than the D750
I'm curious, do people regularly shoot at these ISOs, or is it simply used for easy comparative reasons?

I've just looked at my catalogue and 0.6% of my images were shot higher than ISO 3200 (highest ever was ISO 8000).
(It may be my old school methods as I prefer to use some sort of camera support, often improvised, and slower shutter speeds in such low lighting conditions. FWIW I don't shoot weddings or regular sports, but a wide variety of commercial and editorial subjects.)

I certainly wouldn't base my buying decisions on such extreme usage scenarios.

I'm not criticising anyone, just curious.

I'm curious, do people regularly shoot at these ISOs, or is it simply used for easy comparative reasons?

I've just looked at my catalogue and 0.6% of my images were shot higher than ISO 3200 (highest ever was ISO 8000).
(It may be my old school methods as I prefer to use some sort of camera support, often improvised, and slower shutter speeds in such low lighting conditions. FWIW I don't shoot weddings or regular sports, but a wide variety of commercial and editorial subjects.)

I've quite regularly used 6,400 - 10,000 ISO during a wedding shoot (the last one being a particularly energetic first dance which needed some faster shutter speeds and a flexible zoom!)which I why I prefer the 6d. Though I do prefer to use fast primes which helps keep the ISO down.

Bit of both really. I wouldn't say I regularly shoot at 12800, but it's not unusual. That's why I look at 12800 rather than going up to 25600 and higher. It is also useful for comparative reasons.

T

George.
Thanks.

Even more reason not to buy from the USA.

Back