Canon EOS 5D Mk IV Firmware Update

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Contacted by Canon with news of a firmware update today. The details do not suggest that it would affect me so I am inclined to ignore it. Do others ignore these updates?

Dave

Hi Dave I’ve not had that one. Current firmware is 1.2.1 from last September? Or has there been another one since?

It's confusing as the download page says 'Firmware Version 1.2.1 is for cameras with firmware Version 1.2.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.2.1, it is not necessary to update the firmware' but mine is on 1.1.2.

Do I update or not? I suspect not.

Mine is v1.03 as it came new 3 years ago. I was aware that there had been an update previously (last September) but again it did not appear to offer me anything or is am I missing something. I do think I updated my 20D many years ago because it did affect features that I used.

Dave

Ver 1.2.1 is the latest from Sept. 2019. If you have an earlier version I would suggest you update. I bought a brand new EOS90D 6 months age and updated the firmware the day it arrived.

If you are still on 1.1.2 the possibly/probably it was never updated to 1.2.0 when that came out.

I personally would update and the updater software would normally abort if an update is not required or the wrong version.

Mine is v1.03 as it came new 3 years ago. I was aware that there had been an update previously (last September) but again it did not appear to offer me anything or is am I missing something. I do think I updated my 20D many years ago because it did affect features that I used.

Dave

Sometimes firmware updates don't add function but correct some that have bugs in them. Because they don't "appear to offer me anything" isn't really a good reason not to update.

A friend purchased an EOS 200D last week and wasn't sure how to update so I did it for him remotely (teamviewer) and as with previous updates it went smoothly with absolutely no issues.

I updated mine this morning after downloading the file with its folder. Read ahead with the instructions though; when I first started on my other camera, I didn't realise how big the card would need to be.

I also received the email today and updated mine with no problems. I like to keep mine up to date and not delay.
Yes I resolve to do the same; My 1dx2 had never had an update and I am hoping that something that I thought was my error will now go away once we get back to being able to photograph sport. My next job is to update my Mac as I found that I had the one before Catalina in my downloads but I was waiting for the end of the season.

This may be a silly question but...........
I've had the same for my 800D that I bought last summer. It is running an older version of the firmware but everything works perfectly (or put it another way it gets used for wildlife and I've never found a problem with it). So given that my other camera, the 550D, is 8 years old, has never been updated and has also never had any problems, should I bother? And if I did, how do you do it? I guess copy the download onto an SD card but if the only ones I have are for images and I don't want to mess them up..........? Can you cable connect it to the pc like I do the satnav?

I've had the same for my 800D that I bought last summer. It is running an older version of the firmware but everything works perfectly (or put it another way it gets used for wildlife and I've never found a problem with it). So given that my other camera, the 550D, is 8 years old, has never been updated and has also never had any problems, should I bother? And if I did, how do you do it? I guess copy the download onto an SD card but if the only ones I have are for images and I don't want to mess them up..........? Can you cable connect it to the pc like I do the satnav?

You can update by cable with the Canon Utility. Because you have never had a problem (that you know of) that doesn't mean you never will. Maybe any errors haven't affected the features you use.

There is a pdf with the update that takes you through step by step.

If you download the folder, there is a PDF which gives clear instructions. Read it all the way through. On the Canon website, it also lists previous firmwares [and what they did] for the models I have updated, so this may be the same for the models you have; you can then decide if you want to do it.

I had an email from Canon today saying there was updated software for the 7Dii and 5Diii, but the latest firmware on the website is dated last year.

I had an email from Canon today saying there was updated software for the 7Dii and 5Diii, but the latest firmware on the website is dated last year.

Check the new version number against the version in your cameras and update if necessary.

One good reason to update is they often improve things. For example the Canon R recently had quite an upgrade in its ability to focus on faces/eyes.

As @Chipper says, when you download it and unzip it, there is a PDF with all the instructions on. I always use an SD card because I'm too lazy to go and get my cable.

One good reason to update is they often improve things. For example the Canon R recently had quite an upgrade in its ability to focus on faces/eyes.

As @Chipper says, when you download it and unzip it, there is a PDF with all the instructions on. I always use an SD card because I'm too lazy to go and get my cable.

Thank you. I've read up on it now and I'm not going to do it. From the little information any fix is for a function I don't use.

I have also looked at the details on the Canon website now and none of the changes affect anything I use. I worked in software and computer systems and updating firmware is a risk. If you use the Canon Utility and follow their instructions closely, the risk should be very low but why risk ending up with a non-functioning camera, if there is no benefit.

Dave

It is a personal choice as they do say things can go wrong. I’ve always made sure to have a full battery and I format the SD card in the camera before and after the procedure.

I used to be really nervous at first, but I’ve had 5 different Canon cameras over the years and I always update the firmware as soon as I can now. I’ve never had a problem.

Just for info @Jannyfox, you’d need to double check the PDF, but the usual procedure I follow is...
1. download the update on computer
2. unzip and read the PDF to check procedure (edit - and confirm file size correct)
3. freshly format the SD card in camera
4. Copy the firmware straight onto the SD card (not in a folder on the card)
5. Remove lens and put fresh battery in and insert SD card into camera
6. Put Camera into a non auto mode. Go to firmware in menu. It will ask If you want to update. Click ok and wait, not pressing any buttons until it’s done. I think you have to click ok then.
7. Reformat card again in camera and double check it’s saying the new firmware version.

Last edited:
Its strange how Canon are sending these emails out for FW that was released a while ago (last year). I had one for my M50, 5D4 and 5D3 (that i dont own). Both are up to date. I wonder if its just to create more visits to their website.
I get that a lot of people might not be on the latest FW, but the way the email is worded seems to be more clickbait than anything else.

Last edited:
Its strange how Canon are sending these emails out for FW that was released a while ago (last year). I had one for my M50, 5D4 and 5D3 (that i dont own). Both are up to date. I wonder if its just to create more visits to their website.
I get that a lot of people might not be on the latest FW, but the way the email is worded seems to be more clickbait than anything else.

Canon will know how many cameras of each model have been sold. I would imagine they also know how many downloads have been made. Based on that my guess would be that the takeup has been lower than expected so the emails would be a means of letting people know a FW is available.

I really don't care what is included in the updates or whether they are necessary for me I will do them as soon as I know they are available, that way my cameras are up to date. I also try to keep all the canon software up to date even though I only only use EOS Utility.

Since the update was due to a vulnerability, they might be protecting themselves against damage if someone doesn't update their camera and then complain that Canon never told them?

Like you, I have already updated one camera but not my 5Div, so I was happy to be reminded.

Back