Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

I am critical of all brands inc. one I use/own (check my latest post on A7 thread :D )

Why take brands personally, it's not like we are married to them. I'd happily dump any brand if something else catches my fancy.:LOL:
Because it's not that simple for everyone.
What do you think would be the financial hit to replace 5 bodies and 12 lenses every time I read a review I didn't like?

How would you 'fancy' that?

That still doesn't change the fact that it's DR is less than their own APS-C body and some m43 bodies!! Pretty poor for a newly released FF body.
By how much?
I mean in real world conditions, shooting in a variety of conditions will the slightly decreased dr at base ISO mean the images are not suitable for viewing?

I understand that it really 'ought' to be better than this, but the reality is it's better than it's predecessor in every way that users wanted, and this thread is fixated on one fact.

So will the 'limited' DR stop me shooting pictures at least as good as the predecessor?

Because it's not that simple for everyone.
What do you think would be the financial hit to replace 5 bodies and 12 lenses every time I read a review I didn't like?

How would you 'fancy' that?

Phil, you don't have to take the financial hit of replacing 5 bodies and 12 lenses every time you read a review I didn't like. That would be stupid. Presumably this kit is doing a job for you and that wont stop just because the 6DII is rather disappointingly unsexy and has been lambasted up and down various internet forums and received ho-hum reviews on DPR (and others too no doubt.) There's no need to go dummy spitting and ditch kit that's working and by working I mean earning money. Leave knee jerking to amateurs with deep pockets and people with just one camera and lens :D and if you must stay with Canon and feel the need to buy a new body or 5 go for a 5Dx.

Phil, you don't have to take the financial hit of replacing 5 bodies and 12 lenses every time you read a review I didn't like. That would be stupid. Presumably this kit is doing a job for you and that wont stop just because the 6DII is rather disappointingly unsexy and has been lambasted up and down various internet forums and received ho-hum reviews on DPR (and others too no doubt.) There's no need to go dummy spitting and ditch kit that's working and by working I mean earning money. Leave knee jerking to amateurs with deep pockets and people with just one camera and lens :D and if you must stay with Canon and feel the need to buy a new body or 5 go for a 5Dx.

To be fair, I think Phil was responding to the previous post suggesting that they would jump ship to another brand if a new camera took their fancy. Phil's response was coming from the eyes of someone earning money from their kit and so judges things from a business/financial standpoint rather than a whim.

To be fair, I think Phil was responding to the previous post suggesting that they would jump ship to another brand if a new camera took their fancy. Phil's response was coming from the eyes of someone earning money from their kit and so judges things from a business/financial standpoint rather than a whim.

I know. My comprehension skills are up to the task.

I was merely replying in kind.

I just don't believe that many people, or make that any, who have 5 bodies and 12 lenses will sell up because the 6DII gets slated. It's not going to happen. They'll just buy another 5Dx. Maybe a few amateurs with one camera and a lens or two who spend their lives on forums will sell up and go Sony / Nikon but that'll be the limit. IMO. Everyone else who has that much kit or anything like that much will carry on with what they have and wait for the next entry level Canon FF or cough up for a more capable Canon FF body.

Im a software developer and I tend to jump ship /buy stuff regularly to suit my professional needs...

Yea I can code on a Windows 98 system with notepad just like i and everyone here can tsk the a good picture using a canon 400d but that's not the point of me and others upgrading.

We upgrade our equipment to make doing said task easier

Im a software developer and I tend to jump ship /buy stuff regularly to suit my professional needs...

Yea I can code on a Windows 98 system with notepad just like i and everyone here can tsk the a good picture using a canon 400d but that's not the point of me and others upgrading.

I agree that, as amateur photographers, we can all swap and change kit whenever we want to. However, I believe Phil's point was that a pro invested in an ecosystem would be less likely to jump ship to another brand because of bad or good reviews without considering the bigger implication. When I was shooting portraits/weddings, any camera could (and still can) deliver the results that clients paid for but I stuck with Canon because I knew the system/lenses and was happy with the output. There was no point in me changing over to a Nikon system because the D750 got better reviews than the 5D I was using because I was still getting paid for results from the canon. It made no business sense to sell up and re-invest my money/time in Nikon.

However, since I've stopped shooting weddings and expecting a financial business return from my kit, there's no reason why I can't swap and change kit if I like the look of it but, to pick up on Phil's other point, in the real world is there really that big of a difference in a Dx0 score for any of the cameras coming from any manufacturer? The majority of people here shoot in conditions that really don't need ISO 50 million and a 0.1 increase in DR but if they want the latest toys, go for it.

Exactly, and as a 6d user, the new camera overcomes my only niggle with it. The AF is much improved. I've never been concerned about the DR of any camera, just pleased if it's better than I had before, but never a large concern.
I was never in the market for a 6dII, but if I had been, I'd still be getting one.

Todays current cameras still need a lot of improvements.

Nowhere near to perfection.

For instance the DR is still not as good as our eyes. ISO can always be improved to make say a 12800 ISO look as clean as ISO 100-200.

AF can still improve.

Being able to shoot 50mp files at 20fps is still a pipe dream and still mostly all cameras have outdated menu systems. i so wish i can design and make a better menu system similar to mobile phone devices. Hassleblad has the best menu system at the moment.

Many many improvements to be made on todays camera's

Imagine a an A9 /1d/d5 that can shoot 20fps at 50mp. the cropping ability would be immense!

I agree that, as amateur photographers, we can all swap and change kit whenever we want to. However, I believe Phil's point was that a pro invested in an ecosystem would be less likely to jump ship to another brand because of bad or good reviews without considering the bigger implication. When I was shooting portraits/weddings, any camera could (and still can) deliver the results that clients paid for but I stuck with Canon because I knew the system/lenses and was happy with the output. There was no point in me changing over to a Nikon system because the D750 got better reviews than the 5D I was using because I was still getting paid for results from the canon. It made no business sense to sell up and re-invest my money/time in Nikon.

However, since I've stopped shooting weddings and expecting a financial business return from my kit, there's no reason why I can't swap and change kit if I like the look of it but, to pick up on Phil's other point, in the real world is there really that big of a difference in a Dx0 score for any of the cameras coming from any manufacturer? The majority of people here shoot in conditions that really don't need ISO 50 million and a 0.1 increase in DR but if they want the latest toys, go for it.
Well i have switched from using Windows to OSX for my developer needs and may switch back to windows again lol

Anyways yea some times there is not much difference especially between nikon and canon. i think the bigger difference is switching from dlsr to mirrorless or vice versa.

Exactly, and as a 6d user, the new camera overcomes my only niggle with it. The AF is much improved. I've never been concerned about the DR of any camera, just pleased if it's better than I had before, but never a large concern.
I was never in the market for a 6dII, but if I had been, I'd still be getting one.
Would you consider a 5d4?

For instance the DR is still not as good as our eyes. ISO can always be improved to make say a 12800 ISO look as clean as ISO 100-200.

AF can still improve.

Being able to shoot 50mp files at 20fps is still a pipe dream and still mostly all cameras have outdated menu systems. i so wish i can design and make a better menu system similar to mobile phone devices. Hassleblad has the best menu system at the moment.

Imagine a an A9 /1d/d5 that can shoot 20fps at 50mp. the cropping ability would be immense!
You're right about the menu system.
Though I'm not sure there are lenses that would enable your sensor pipe dream.

AF can still improve.

Ok, the question I would ask is why do you need to shoot 50Mp at 20fps unless it's your skill level that needs work? The human body has a much faster reaction time than any camera so why not just catch the decisive moment with 1 shot than machine gun 20 shots a second and then sift through the hundreds of results (at 50Mp) to find that same one shot?

Huge files are nice for cropping etc but just get your composition right in the first place. People have been printing billboard size images from medium format film and early digital for 50 years, why do you feel the need for a 50Mp digital output (at 20fps)?

(I'm being devil's advocate by the way, in case you think I'm genuinely suggesting that everyone should catch every decisive moment with one perfect shot)

Last edited:
I still love my 6D.:D:):banana:

By how much?
I mean in real world conditions, shooting in a variety of conditions will the slightly decreased dr at base ISO mean the images are not suitable for viewing?

I understand that it really 'ought' to be better than this, but the reality is it's better than it's predecessor in every way that users wanted, and this thread is fixated on one fact.

So will the 'limited' DR stop me shooting pictures at least as good as the predecessor?

Are you talking about photography or are you taking about gear? Two very different things.
As a piece of electronic gear 6Dii isn't competitive with rest of the market especially for the price. As something that takes good photographs majority of DSLRs for the last decade can do that if a good photographer is using it. There is no point in this discussion.

Ok, the question I would ask is why do you need to shoot 50Mp at 20fps unless it's your skill level that needs work? The human body has a much faster reaction time than any camera so why not just catch the decisive moment with 1 shot than machine gun 20 shots a second and then sift through the hundreds of results (at 50Mp) to find that same one shot?

Huge files are nice for cropping etc but just get your composition right in the first place. People have been printing billboard size images from medium format film and early digital for 50 years, why do you feel the need for a 50Mp digital output (at 20fps)?

(I'm being devil's advocate by the way, in case you think I'm genuinely suggesting that everyone should catch every decisive moment with one perfect shot)
More for cropping and not needing a 600mm lens for bird or sports

If we has 20 stops of DR someone would be whinging that they didn't have 21.

It's b*****ks and in the real world has no impact for the vast majority of ordinary photographers.

Since I've had my 1DX2 and 5D4 I've made use of the improved DR once and that was just to see what its limits where. It hasn't impacted on or improved my photography one bit. It might in the future but certainly not to the degree that is implied in some of these threads.

Are you talking about photography or are you taking about gear? Two very different things.
As a piece of electronic gear 6Dii isn't competitive with rest of the market especially for the price. As something that takes good photographs majority of DSLRs for the last decade can do that if a good photographer is using it. There is no point in this discussion.
Sorry?
I thought this was 'talk photography' not 'talk gadgets' o_O
I'm a photographer, as per my 1st post here, a camera is either a tool or a toy.
If it's a tool, does it do the job required, if it's a toy is it fun to use.
When it comes to poring over charts for bragging rights? I have no interest, and yes, that means IMHO there is no point in a discussion about a half point reduction in DR in specific circumstances.

Sorry?
I thought this was 'talk photography' not 'talk gadgets' o_O
I'm a photographer, as per my 1st post here, a camera is either a tool or a toy.
If it's a tool, does it do the job required, if it's a toy is it fun to use.
When it comes to poring over charts for bragging rights? I have no interest, and yes, that means IMHO there is no point in a discussion about a half point reduction in DR in specific circumstances.

Ok that's fine. For me I like my gear as much as I like photography. I am happy to discuss both topics and in this particular case I was discussing gear. Last time I checked it is well within the forum rules to discuss gear.

Nothing to do with bragging rights, I didn't build or design any of the cameras/sensor. Simply comparing one against the other.

Last edited:
Ok that's fine. For me I like my gear as much as I like photography. I am happy to discuss both topics and in this particular case I was discussing gear. Last time I checked it is well within the forum rules to discuss gear.

Nothing to do with bragging rights, I didn't build or design any of the cameras/sensor. Simply comparing one against the other.
Nothing in the rules, I just find some gear conversations (like this one) a bit irksome.

The camera is clearly capable of taking perfectly good images, but because it doesn't fit some people's idea of what it ought to do, it's rubbish o_O

Nothing in the rules, I just find some gear conversations (like this one) a bit irksome.

The camera is clearly capable of taking perfectly good images, but because it doesn't fit some people's idea of what it ought to do, it's rubbish o_O

Most DSLR cameras in the last decade or so have been capable of taking perfectly good images. So that's not unique to any camera.
Its rubbish (your word not mine) because it falls behind the competition i.e. one can spend their hard earned money and get more from other cameras than they would from this body. They both are capable of taking good pictures, no one ever denied that.
In fact a film cameras can take good images, doesn't mean that it'll compete with the latest DSLRs or that someone should go sell that for £2K.

No it's definitely rubbish. It won't autofocus because the points are all in the centre. It's crap at video because it doesn't have c log 4 K. Unless the whole image is bathed in good light there'll be banding and noise in the shadows. It doesn't have twin card slots so you'll lose all your images every time you go out.

I'm surprised that Adobe have even bothered including raw file processing ability in Camera Raw 9.12.

It'll not sell.

DP review gives it 80%

Conclusion
As it should be, the EOS 6D II is a better camera than its predecessor in almost every way. With plenty of resolution, respectable burst shooting speeds and pleasing Canon color, it's a camera that's capable of producing great images in a variety of situations. Despite this, it is simply overshadowed by competition that is made up of more capable cameras at similar or lower prices.

Good for

Social and general use, easy capture of casual video clips and those looking for a backup body for Canon full-frame glass.

Not so good for

Photographers needing the best image quality for landscape work, or sports and action photographers needing a more capable autofocus system

Pros

• Updated 26MP sensor with good high ISO performance
  • Pleasing JPEG color
  • Generally good ergonomics and controls
  • Effective Dual Pixel autofocus
  • Polished touchscreen operation with fully articulated touchscreen
  • Weather-sealed
  • 6.5 fps burst shooting through optical viewfinder
  • Updated autofocus system
  • Wi-Fi with NFC and GPS
  • Effective video stabilization system
Cons
  • Less low ISO dynamic range than even crop-sensor competitors
  • Limited autofocus spread in optical viewfinder
  • Viewfinder autofocus system accuracy lags behind competition
  • Very slow burst shooting with autofocus in live view
  • 1080/60p video is soft and lacks detail
  • Lacking headphone port
  • Rear control dial is mushy and imprecise

When someone actually buys it they'll be pleasantly surprised by just how good it is in the real world.

Reviewers HAVE to be severe because they are catering for all the sad individuals who toss off over DXO charts and the like.

You really think the mighty Canon would release a camera that is rubbish and risk their sales nosediving?

You'll see

Most DSLR cameras in the last decade or so have been capable of taking perfectly good images. So that's not unique to any camera.
Its rubbish (your word not mine) because it falls behind the competition i.e. one can spend their hard earned money and get more from other cameras than they would from this body. They both are capable of taking good pictures, no one ever denied that.
In fact a film cameras can take good images, doesn't mean that it'll compete with the latest DSLRs or that someone should go sell that for £2K.
Just because this is fun.
It's cheaper than any of the competition (for me) by miles.
So, it's the best camera at its price point in its class (for me).
I find the fact that it upsets people hilarious btw.

I'd also consider myself a failed photographer if someone looked at one of my images and their initial reaction was 'it lacks half a stop of DR'.

I'll go as far as to say, anyone who has a similar response to any photograph is a complete tool (unless it's a response to the question 'why is my underexposed image lacking in detail?')

I'd also consider myself a failed photographer if someone looked at one of my images and their initial reaction was 'it lacks half a stop of DR'.

I'll go as far as to say, anyone who has a similar response to any photograph is a complete tool (unless it's a response to the question 'why is my underexposed image lacking in detail?')
Even if they do critic your work for lack of Dr. Who cares? So long as you ar know happy with your images

And canon are banking on people such as yourself (and rightly so for a business) . Because its cheaper for people invested in canon ecosystem to buy this body than buy something else even if it offers more.

I think manufactures (not just canon) will sell you any old rubbish (again not my word!) as long as people will buy it. So the best way is to vote with your money ;)

I believe canon is capable of making sensors that compete with Sonys, they just feel its not needed or worth whatever extra costs that'll incur in order to sell and make profit.

Last edited:

I believe canon is capable of making sensors that compete with Sonys, they just feel its not needed or worth whatever extra costs that'll incur in order to sell and make profit.
And I believe that's a ridiculous assumption, you've clearly never run a business if you think that's how it works. o_O
but we've already been there. :banghead:

And I believe that's a ridiculous assumption, you've clearly never run a business if you think that's how it works. o_O
but we've already been there. :banghead:

No need to get personal.

If its ridiculous, explain why it is and perhaps I'll think differently. Whether I have run a business or not has nothing to do with it as far as I can see (and you don't know if I have or not, so I suggest you don't make assumptions or judge people).

Last edited:
Also even if you know how to run a business. You and everyone here have no clue how canon run there's. Just because it's canon doesn't mean every decision they make is the right one.

Larger companies have gone down the drain making bad decisions. Canon are not immune to going down. Plus no one stays on top forever

so its to early for a canon 6dii wanted post ? lol

Back