Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

It does but not by much and also has about 1/5th number of AF points. The dual-pixel AF does give full sensor coverage. I'd say m2 is definitely better in terms of AF.

How? The af points sr is all in the centre. In fact it would be interesting to see if the old mk1 had there af points spread more
I'm constantly amazed at people who ask questions like this when it would only take 2 minutes to find out for themselves.

upload_2017-8-14_12-4-3.png

Also it's this guy who started this debate. He ain't a Sony shooter?
I posted it because it mentions the canon 6D2 being the most popular camera on depreview at the moment, because you had mentioned the A9 earlier I just posted that percentage too.;)

Only at 100 ISO. Watch the "fro" video on YouTube. At higher isos it's significantly better than its predecessor and the D80. So stop being sheep and believing sensational website headings. Do you all buy the daily mail? [emoji2]

Only at 100 ISO. Watch the "fro" video on YouTube. At higher isos it's significantly better than its predecessor and the D80. So stop being sheep and believing sensational website headings. Do you all buy the daily mail? [emoji2]

Have you read the article in the link Terry? I'm now off to watch the video you mention but that article is about noise, not dr, and it's not great.

I'm fairly sure that the majority of people who buy this camera won't be Astro photographers.

Also most fairly serious Astro photographers tend to use multiple separate exposures for sky and foreground these days irrespective of the camera they use to get the benefit of stacked noise reduction. Single shot Astro is a bit archaic.

And it you're really serious you won't be using a DSLR anyway.

I'm fairly sure that the majority of people who buy this camera won't be Astro photographers.

Also most fairly serious Astro photographers tend to use multiple separate exposures for sky and foreground these days irrespective of the camera they use to get the benefit of stacked noise reduction. Single shot Astro is a bit archaic.

And it you're really serious you won't be using a DSLR anyway.
Well the 6d2 has a bit more features and a bit better af system but the sensor itself seems like an odd choice.

I think people are better off with a used 5d3

I'd just be very surprised if Canon have released a camera that gives poorer quality output than a previous model. I don't think they'd be that stupid. Maybe I've got rose tinted glasses on? One things for sure we'll soon find out for sure.

Well the 6d2 has a bit more features and a bit better af system but the sensor itself seems like an odd choice.

I think people are better off with a used 5d3

Not sure if you mean generally better off but the 6D is better than the 5D3 for Astro photography. It's got a higher signal to noise ratio.

I'd just be very surprised if Canon have released a camera that gives poorer quality output than a previous model. I don't think they'd be that stupid. Maybe I've got rose tinted glasses on? One things for sure we'll soon find out for sure.
We've just found out? Diddnt you check out the article? Only excuse may be that they had a issue with there Copy of the camera?

Actually the linked article suggests high ISO is still worse than the mk1

That's not ideal. My friend is now not sure if she will order one now so maybe I won't know an owner after all!

Amazon still have release date as 23rd.

Oh dear :D Feeling threatened are we :D

No I'm simply pointing out that when you look into the specs a bit further all is not as rosy as the headline act makes it appear. It will never be an option for me as I have too much invested in Canon. And guess what, I as happy as hell with mine. Not the best, certainly not the worst but better than me and better than the majority of photographers I would hazard a guess.

The majority of the press, professional photographers, reviewers and YouTubers seem to all agree its a game changer, it's only the odd few who think otherwise but these are probably hardcore Canon or Nikon DSLR diehards who can't see where the DSLR mirror technology is going.

The 24mp Sony sensor is designed for speed which is moving the game on in my opinion, its improved on the previous Sony 24mp sensors and it does what it needs to in terms of a true silent shutter with no EVF black out.

The Pro-DSLR crowd used to complain about the shutter lag, EVF black out and how good a optical view finder is but how times have changed. It's the DSLR's which now hsvevthe short-falls, OVF shutter black out, shutter lag and poor AF coverage. The Sony A9 is a wake up call to both Nikon and Canon.

The only thing the Pro-DSLR crowd seem to moan about now relates is ergonomics and the lens line up.... no real issues in my eyes as the prime telephoto lenses are coming and for ergonomics you just add the battery grip.

The Sony A9 is a game changer and more... it's the dawn of a new age.....

:D

It has everything going for it, but the time to start believing is when you see them lined up at the world athletic championships, olympics etc. Sony have a lot of work to do before then. Manufacturing a complete system and providing a back up that rivals Canons CPS being two of the items outstanding. They are carving out a niche market at the moment and doing it in areas where Nikon and Canon don't feel the need to be.To truly be competitive they need to widen the model range, bring out crop bodies that have similar tech. Then there will be a progression for people to buy into the system and upgrade as funds allow.

It has everything going for it, but the time to start believing is when you see them lined up at the world athletic championships, olympics etc. Sony have a lot of work to do before then. Manufacturing a complete system and providing a back up that rivals Canons CPS being two of the items outstanding. They are carving out a niche market at the moment and doing it in areas where Nikon and Canon don't feel the need to be.To truly be competitive they need to widen the model range, bring out crop bodies that have similar tech. Then there will be a progression for people to buy into the system and upgrade as funds allow.

The A9 looks like a beast but as you said, different market to 6D2.

If they bring the tech in to the A7R3 and its priced alongside D750/6D then things might change. But currently it's out of the majority's people's reach.

The A9 looks like a beast but as you said, different market to 6D2.

If they bring the tech in to the A7R3 and its priced alongside D750/6D then things might change. But currently it's out of the majority's people's reach.
That isn't fair. The A7R range is a d850/5ds range camera and priced accordingly.

Sony also Don't just discontinue there old camera when a new one is released unlike canikon.

What isn't fair?! I'm just saying if Sony bought the tech in to the lower priced models then it may sway Nikon and Canon users who need what the A9 can offer but in a more affordable package.

If they bought out a 2k camera with zero blackout and 10fps then it would interest me and probably a lot of people. But the A7 doesn't cut it for me and the A9 I can't afford.

That's why the likes of the 6D2 and D750 will remain ever popular until the next round of tech and more affordable prices.

What isn't fair?! I'm just saying if Sony bought the tech in to the lower priced models then it may sway Nikon and Canon users who need what the A9 can offer but in a more affordable package.

If they bought out a 2k camera with zero blackout and 10fps then it would interest me and probably a lot of people. But the A7 doesn't cut it for me and the A9 I can't afford.

That's why the likes of the 6D2 and D750 will remain ever popular until the next round of tech and more affordable prices.
Lol.

Your expecting new innovation tech to be on a low end full frame body. Nice one.

Lol.

Your expecting new innovation tech to be on a low end full frame body. Nice one.

Hahahaha! Wow, what a guy! Read the post properly. I said when it happens, I'm not expecting it to be now. So let's stop taking about a camera that had nothing else I do with this thread and you can run along back to your Sony thread.

**Moderator edited**:nikon:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol.

It's not unreasonable jonney to want to see it drop down to cheaper models. It's not as though Sony have just invented AF. They're trying to push it forward.

Nikon have put essentially the D5 AF in the D500. Canon have done similar in the 7D2. They've watered down the specs to keep it cheaper. If Sony are ever going to compete with Canon and. Nikon then that's what they will need to do. Bring out a very good crop body that fulfils the basic needs of wildlife/sports amateur photographers with great AF, image quality, decent customisation options. Then people will be able to see a progression route just as they can with Canon/Nikon.

Perhaps Sony don't want to do that but if they are bringing out a range of telephoto lenses then they need that lower priced body to tempt people into the system.

I see many photographers with expensive prime lenses that aren't being used on 1Dxs & D5s but on 7DmKIIs & D500s so the market is there.

It's not unreasonable jonney to want to see it drop down to cheaper models. It's not as though Sony have just invented AF. They're trying to push it forward.

Nikon have put essentially the D5 AF in the D500. Canon have done similar in the 7D2. They've watered down the specs to keep it cheaper. If Sony are ever going to compete with Canon and. Nikon then that's what they will need to do. Bring out a very good crop body that fulfils the basic needs of wildlife/sports amateur photographers with great AF, image quality, decent customisation options. Then people will be able to see a progression route just as they can with Canon/Nikon.

Perhaps Sony don't want to do that but if they are bringing out a range of telephoto lenses then they need that lower priced body to tempt people into the system.

I see many photographers with expensive prime lenses that aren't being used on 1Dxs & D5s but on 7DmKIIs & D500s so the market is there.
It is unreasonable to expect cutting edge tech on entry level bodies 2months after it was released on a high end body.

That would make a high end body redundant if they released a 1k a7 with same cutting edge technology as an a9 at the same time. No one would buy a A9 and all the r and d done on new tech will be made at a loss in profit.

The d500 is a crop sensor body. A high end crop body not an entry level one.

By your definition. The entry level nikon crop should also have same af system plus other features as the d500..

Also you do know Sony have a6xxx series crop bodies already that are more than a match for canikon offerings.

10fps mechanical burst with af system coverage better than canikon and better af speed than the a7r2 and just behind the A9.

A6500 is cheaper than a d500..

Last edited:
Back to the 6dii was it unreasonable to expect the same dynamic range increase as the previous 3 canon releases?

Back to the 6dii was it unreasonable to expect the same dynamic range increase as the previous 3 canon releases?

Maybe not unreasonable! My mate is still in Limbo about what to do. Hoping Park cameras will have one in so we can go and stick a crad in a take some shots.

It is unreasonable to expect cutting edge tech on entry level bodies 2months after it was released on a high end body.

That would make a high end body redundant if they released a 1k a7 with same cutting edge technology as an a9 at the same time. No one would buy a A9 and all the r and d done on new tech will be made at a loss in profit.

The d500 is a crop sensor body. A high end crop body not an entry level one.

By your definition. The entry level nikon crop should also have same af system plus other features as the d500..

Also you do know Sony have a6xxx series crop bodies already that are more than a match for canikon offerings.

10fps mechanical burst with af system coverage better than canikon and better af speed than the a7r2 and just behind the A9.

A6500 is cheaper than a d500..

Is there any Sony camera that isn't the best in the world jonney?

I didn't say they had to release it this week. I didn't say they had to put it in an entry level body either. I said they need to cascade the tech down to compete with Canon and Nikon to give people an upgrade path and I mentioned the cameras that they need to compete with or, given that they probably have to work harder to get people to change, be better than.

I'm not arguing the point with you any more. You stick to your opinion and I'll stick to mine.

This is just wasting minutes of our lives that we will never get back.

Enjoy.

Is there any Sony camera that isn't the best in the world jonney?

I didn't say they had to release it this week. I didn't say they had to put it in an entry level body either. I said they need to cascade the tech down to compete with Canon and Nikon to give people an upgrade path and I mentioned the cameras that they need to compete with or, given that they probably have to work harder to get people to change, be better than.

I'm not arguing the point with you any more. You stick to your opinion and I'll stick to mine.

This is just wasting minutes of our lives that we will never get back.

Enjoy.
Yea but you are comparing crop vs ff and in particular high end crop vs high end full frame where the 6d2 is nither of these and it seems you expect a entry level FF to have same features as a high end full frame.

Not even canikon do that.

Look at this camera as a prime example. the AF and sensor from the 5d4 is not on this camera.

I have also given u examples of sony already cascading tech down to lower bodies/crop bodies.

Look at the A6500. It actually came out with a better AF system then the A7r2 which was at the time the current flagship FF body from Sony.

Have you read some of the supposed rumours of the A7mk3? Apparently it will have same AF System as the A9 and possibly joystick etc but may not have the blackout-free tech. If that appears true then thats yet another example of sony cascading tech to lesser bodies.

Sony always have. just not immedietly as you appear to comment on/

Gaz please check out the timeline of all the Sony cameras and you will quickly find out how Sony cascades there tech down to lesser bodies.

I personaly dont think you know much about the Sony line otherwise you would not form that opinion that Sony dont cascade bleeding edge tech to there lesser bodies.

Where did you get teh asumption they dont?

Last edited:
Yea but you are comparing crop vs ff and in particular high end crop vs high end full frame where the 6d2 is nither of these and it seems you expect a entry level FF to have same features as a high end full frame.

Not even canikon do that.

Look at this camera as a prime example. the AF and sensor from the 5d4 is not on this camera.

I have also given u examples of sony already cascading tech down to lower bodies/crop bodies.

Look at the A6500. It actually came out with a better AF system then the A7r2 which was at the time the current flagship FF body from Sony.

Have you read some of the supposed rumours of the A7mk3? Apparently it will have same AF System as the A9 and possibly joystick etc but may not have the blackout-free tech. If that appears true then thats yet another example of sony cascading tech to lesser bodies.

Sony always have. just not immedietly as you appear to comment on/

Gaz please check out the timeline of all the Sony cameras and you will quickly find out how Sony cascades there tech down to lesser bodies.

I personaly dont think you know much about the Sony line otherwise you would not form that opinion that Sony dont cascade bleeding edge tech to there lesser bodies.

Where did you get teh asumption they dont?

Probably the only thing I'd pull you up on there Jonney is calling the A6500 a "lesser body". It's the flagship APS-C camera from Sony and is currently £100 more than the Full Frame Canon 6D MK1 and pretty much the same price as the A7ii. Whilst it's not a FF sensor, it's anything but 'lesser' and not exactly cheap either.

Back