Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

Amazon have it down as 23rd August so who knows!!

Out of interest how is the focus system on the 6d II? What camera is it taken from and wondering how it will compare to D750. Difficult to answer without camera released lol.

I do think it says a lot in that the camera has been out now for a few weeks and so far only one person has been on thread to say they have bought one.

Read into that what you will ....... or don't ;)

It's pre order, released on the 23rd Aug

How come the grey importers already have them? DigitalRev and Panamoz have been selling them for a while already.

Amazon have it down as 23rd August so who knows!!

Out of interest how is the focus system on the 6d II? What camera is it taken from and wondering how it will compare to D750. Difficult to answer without camera released lol.

Edit 80d

Last edited:
I thought that the AF module was from the 80d?.... could be wrong though.

Yeah I knew it was from one of their crops and that's why the focus points are so clustered. Will see reviews of the 80D focus!

Yeah I knew it was from one of their crops and that's why the focus points are so clustered. Will see reviews of the 80D focus!

I think that the AF module itself is tried and tested, it's just the spread on the FF sensor that is a bit of a disappointment to many.

So are we saying the 6D MK2 should be ok at sports? We may have a potential owner! Not me.

So are we saying the 6D MK2 should be ok at sports? We may have a potential owner! Not me.
How? The af points sr is all in the centre. In fact it would be interesting to see if the old mk1 had there af points spread more

I have only tried the 6D2 fairly briefly but the AF compared quite well to the 5D4 and not too bad compared to my 1DX - lens used was a 500 F4 L IS Mk2. I was only shooting passing cars and a couple of loggers (so nothing challenging) but the 6D2 seemed to perform well.

I cannot say that the 6D2 AF is great but it is certainly looking promising to me for sports/wildlife.

The MK1 is more than "ok" at sports let alone the mk2! [emoji3]

most popular camera on Dpreview Canon 6Dmk2 8.6%
sony A9 2%

The Sony A9 is a pretty expensive model, the numbers out there are going to be low to begin with especially for the professional sports shooters who are waiting for the pro telephoto prime lenses.
As it stands I believe it's the number one FF mirrorless body to beat.

The Canon 6DII should be a popular model, Canon has a big following and it's a tried and tested system, the problem with DSLR's in general is there isn't much room to evolve, hence why we've not seen big strides from both Nikon & Canon.
The 6DII is the typical approach, a tweak here and there.
If you want cutting edge then Sony is the brand you should be watching..... what annoys me is that Sony has neglected the APS-C lens line up as the A6500 body is pretty good.
Sony are slowly chipping away at the best bits of a DSLR and some could argue the Sony A9 is better than any DSLR available.

All the camera manufacturers are all fighting for that upper limit of performance where it is now a spec sheet war as apposed to real world results.

All good and well talking about the Sony, but at £4000+ you would expect it it to be one of the best out there, and also out of most peoples reach budget wise.

All good and well talking about the Sony, but at £4000+ you would expect it it to be one of the best out there, and also out of most peoples reach budget wise.
It is better than the 1dx2 and d5 for cheaper price and more versatile.

This is the 6D Mk2 thread so the A9, 1D and D5 are not really competitors so not sure why they are even being talked about TBH! Do you Sony people have no where else to go! :nikon:

This is the 6D Mk2 thread so the A9, 1D and D5 are not really competitors so not sure why they are even being talked about TBH! Do you Sony people have no where else to go! :nikon:
Tell that to the above poster comparing the two on dpreview.com. Not me who originally mentioned it.

Anyways a better comparison is A7mk2 vs 6d2

says who !!! ;)
Quite a few people actually. There is one person who said it's better than the d5 he has been shooting with since it first came out and he does sports photography.

His no Sony artisan or YouTuber either but he did appear on someone else's YouTube video doing an extensive review and test between the two.

My post was in response with the popularity percentages posted earlier where somebody was comparing the Sony A9 vs 6DII.

Every body has different expectations so to some £4000 is a lot of money, to others it may not be, with this comment in mind some may say the Canon 6DII should be priced less when you look at it's competitors and what they offer.

Yeah agree on money, but the A9 vs 6DII is not really a fair comparison. Agree the Canon should be cheaper - its pre order price on Amazon changes about £300 every other day!!

It may be £4k+ but it's cheaper than the competition.

Allegedly.

Versatile?? It takes photographs as do most cameras. Well, I suppose it has a built in heater which most other cameras don't so that could be classed as versatile.

Everybody bangs on about it being a game changer, maybe it e will but it's not as great as it's made out. It will need something because the sensor hasn't exactly moved the game on. In fact considering that Sony are the leaders in sensor design you might wonder if they've saved the sensor that should be it for the A9RII or whatever they'll bring along very shortly.

Big deal about 20 FPS.

Reality.

10 FPS if you use an adaptor.
12 FPS if you shoot uncompressed RAW
5FPS if you use a flash. My old 6D could shoot at 4.5 FPS with flash. (This is the tie in to justify posting in the thread by the way).

Strange , didn't see that mentioned in all the adverts

Now the AF coverage, that I would like to see on a Canon.

Oh and Sony don't have the lens line up which is why they try and fool people into thinking that using an adaptor is a good idea.

I never said it was or it was not - but it has nothing at all to do with the 6D2!

Surely anything A9 related should be here?

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...come-mega-thread.511885/page-472#post-7913668

You said the A9 was expensive, all things are relative and relative to the competition A9 isn't expensive. And you whinge and say the A9 is nothing to do with this thread but the A9 only got mentioned as an example of innovation relative to the small incremental changes we tend to see with DSLR's and then you get all bent out of shape over the price and it being nothing to do with this thread. I'd agree that Sony posters needn't post in this thread and as your histrionics aren't exactly of interest to me I'll try not to do so again :D

Allegedly.

Versatile?? It takes photographs as do most cameras. Well, I suppose it has a built in heater which most other cameras don't so that could be classed as versatile.

Everybody bangs on about it being a game changer, maybe it e will but it's not as great as it's made out. It will need something because the sensor hasn't exactly moved the game on. In fact considering that Sony are the leaders in sensor design you might wonder if they've saved the sensor that should be it for the A9RII or whatever they'll bring along very shortly.

Big deal about 20 FPS.

Reality.

5FPS if you use a flash. My old 6D could shoot at 4.5 FPS with flash. (This is the tie in to justify posting in the thread by the way).

Oh and Sony don't have the lens line up which is why they try and fool people into thinking that using an adaptor is a good idea.

Oh dear :D Feeling threatened are we :D

You said the A9 was expensive, all things are relative and relative to the competition A9 isn't expensive. And you whinge and say the A9 is nothing to do with this thread but the A9 only got mentioned as an example of innovation relative to the small incremental changes we tend to see with DSLR's and then you get all bent out of shape over the price and it being nothing to do with this thread. I'd agree that Sony posters needn't post in this thread and as your histrionics aren't exactly of interest to me I'll try not to do so again :D

1. The A9 is expensive compared to the 6D2 (which is what this thread is about)
2. The A9 is cheaper than its 'competition' - again not the 6D2
3. I am not whinging, just asking what the A9 has got to do with the 6D2?
4. I don't shoot Canon - was asking on behalf of a friend

I guess though, they are similar. Both can probably take as good as picture as the other, whilst one saves you £2000 and has far better lens line up avaliable so lets just carry on talking about the A9 in the 6D2 thread!

Allegedly.

Big deal about 20 FPS.

Reality.

The majority of the press, professional photographers, reviewers and YouTubers seem to all agree its a game changer, it's only the odd few who think otherwise but these are probably hardcore Canon or Nikon DSLR diehards who can't see where the DSLR mirror technology is going.

The 24mp Sony sensor is designed for speed which is moving the game on in my opinion, its improved on the previous Sony 24mp sensors and it does what it needs to in terms of a true silent shutter with no EVF black out.

The Pro-DSLR crowd used to complain about the shutter lag, EVF black out and how good a optical view finder is but how times have changed. It's the DSLR's which now hsvevthe short-falls, OVF shutter black out, shutter lag and poor AF coverage. The Sony A9 is a wake up call to both Nikon and Canon.

The only thing the Pro-DSLR crowd seem to moan about now relates is ergonomics and the lens line up.... no real issues in my eyes as the prime telephoto lenses are coming and for ergonomics you just add the battery grip.

The Sony A9 is a game changer and more... it's the dawn of a new age.....

:D

PLEASE ... there's a place to talk about the A9 and it's not here.

Allegedly.

Big deal about 20 FPS.

Reality.

Rah going way off topic. Go and post that in the Sony thread. Not gunna waste my time with replying.

I could have a field day ripping apart that post lol

Back