Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

Probably the only thing I'd pull you up on there Jonney is calling the A6500 a "lesser body". It's the flagship APS-C camera from Sony and is currently £100 more than the Full Frame Canon 6D MK1 and pretty much the same price as the A7ii. Whilst it's not a FF sensor, it's anything but 'lesser' and not exactly cheap either.
Please read all my thoughts on this matter. The 7d2 and d500 are all in the same category as the a6500 ie high end crop bodies.

I challenge everyone that can show me a canikon body with same sort of specs as a high end ff body that's not a flagship crop body.

Again please explain how sony don't cascade there cutting edge tech to other cheaper bodies?

Please read all my thoughts on this matter. The 7d2 and d500 are all in the same category as the a6500 ie high end crop bodies.

I challenge everyone that can show me a canikon body with same sort of specs as a high end ff body that's not a flagship crop body.

Again please explain how sony don't cascade there cutting edge tech to other cheaper bodies?

Calm down.

I'm not getting involved in the willy-waving competition. I'm just pointing out the fact that the A6500 is the flagship Sony APS-C mirrorless body and costs more than the FF Canon 6D so is't really a 'lesser' camera.

Who gives a s***? This a canon thread start a new thread or keep it canon ffs.
Well in all honestly i was the one who tried to get back on topic a few days ago asking about the AF coverage and someone else started mentioning sony etc.

Only two or people responded and that was that really.

Anyways i read something about this camera and the original one was a good seller because it was the cheapest, lightest ff camera you could get for the specs it had at the time.

Now this camera does not seem to follow that trend now because there are cheaper smaller/lighter alternatives out there now.

I think thats why some are a bit dissapointed with this camera.

IMO if they had converted the mirrorless M5 to a full frame and call it the new 6d2 with a price point of 1.2k i reckon it would have fulfilled the cheap/light/small route that the first 6d went .

Thoughts?

Would you have bought this camera had it been inside a similar M5 body and mirrorless with EF mount?

Who gives a s***? This a canon thread start a new thread or keep it canon ffs.
AGREED. I'm getting fed up of all this other stuff that doesn't interest me in the slightest. Please keep it off this thread, even if things are slow in here until the camera is properly on sale.

Well, even though it's not yet properly on sale in the UK, I think the 6D Mk2 has been talked to death on this thread now to the extent that it's become old hat, and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that it's high time that Canon brought out the 6D Mk3.

;)

Well in all honestly i was the one who tried to get back on topic a few days ago asking about the AF coverage and someone else started mentioning sony etc.

Only two or people responded and that was that really.

Anyways i read something about this camera and the original one was a good seller because it was the cheapest, lightest ff camera you could get for the specs it had at the time.

Now this camera does not seem to follow that trend now because there are cheaper smaller/lighter alternatives out there now.

I think thats why some are a bit dissapointed with this camera.

IMO if they had converted the mirrorless M5 to a full frame and call it the new 6d2 with a price point of 1.2k i reckon it would have fulfilled the cheap/light/small route that the first 6d went .

Thoughts?

Would you have bought this camera had it been inside a similar M5 body and mirrorless with EF mount?

Imho, you don't jeopardise a successful line, which the 6D seems to have been, and Canon hope the 6DII continues that line to be, by making such a huge change from DSLR to mirrorless. If Canon seriously go mirrorless then they should make equivalent models to their DSLRs to give people the choice. It may mean some duplication and overlap of models but then if Canon don't have the resources to do it, then nobody does.

Saying that, Canon will be hoping that the 6DII is such a success as to stave off the need transition to mirrorless a bit longer, and for them to get the tech in place to make the transition easier.

From the reviews so far, I don't think the 6DII will be as successful as the 6D, even taking into account the declining camera market.

If anyone wants mirrorless atm, especially FF, then Canon (and Nikon) is not the place to look, other companies are giving better options, and some will even take Canon (and other manufacturers lenses) though they may not work optimally. Depends on how lenses invested the individual is, how much they want to continue to use said lenses, and what compromises they are willing to put up with on whatever camera they choose to put the lenses on.

In an ideal world Canon users would have a Canon FF mirrorless option that will take their Canon lenses. If they want mirrorless of course, and is has to be said again, most people still do not want mirrorless ahead of DSLRs, which are still outselling mirrorless cameras, which is why the 6DII is not mirrorless. ;)

Lol.

Your expecting new innovation tech to be on a low end full frame body. Nice one.

Well, when the 6dmk1 came out, Canon dropped in a brand new sensor that outperformed their best sensor at the time, so to be fair while it was a low end body in the FF line, it surprised everyone with outperforming every other Canon on the sensor front. It was also able to focus in light lower than any other camera they've ever produced (-3 EV than the current best performer). So it's not entirely unreasonable to expect a surprise feature / performance aspect with its successor.

Last edited:
Well, when the 6dmk1 came out, Canon dropped in a brand new sensor that outperformed their best sensor at the time, so to be fair while it was a low end body in the FF line, it surprised everyone with outperforming every other Canon on the sensor front. It was also able to focus in light lower than any other camera they've ever produced (-3 EV than the current best performer). So it's not entirely unreasonable to expect a surprise feature / performance aspect with its successor.

What is the suprise feature though? Its been reviewd by a few sites now?

I'm waiting to see how it takes images, but not actually sure when it will be on show in my local camera shop! I don't see how it could be better than my D750 but I'm still open to trying it! Plus my friend might buy one so I can get an actual user review!

It won't be better than the D750. That sensor is brilliant.

My friend is a Canon shooter and not sure they want to change to Nikon... although they only have 1 lens that would work on the 6D2 (coming from a 760D), so it will be down to how much she likes the images if we can put a card in a use one.

I had the D750, sold it for an XT2!!! (t***).

Now using a 6D and while the DR and high ISO noise is poorer than the D750 I much prefer the colours from the Canons.

What is the suprise feature though? Its been reviewd by a few sites now?

I'm waiting to see how it takes images, but not actually sure when it will be on show in my local camera shop! I don't see how it could be better than my D750 but I'm still open to trying it! Plus my friend might buy one so I can get an actual user review!

I didn't say the mk2 had a surprise / standout feature (that I know of). I said it's not unreasonable to expect one given what they did with the mk1 (and just because it's an entry level FF it doesn't preclude it from having a standout feature).

Last edited:
I had the D750, sold it for an XT2!!! (t***).

Now using a 6D and while the DR and high ISO noise is poorer than the D750 I much prefer the colours from the Canons.

The price on Amazon is now back down again to £1700. It goes up to £1999 every other day! Still saying 23rd August release.

She is tempted to order whilst at the lower price!

Imho, you don't jeopardise a successful line, which the 6D seems to have been, and Canon hope the 6DII continues that line to be, by making such a huge change from DSLR to mirrorless. If Canon seriously go mirrorless then they should make equivalent models to their DSLRs to give people the choice. It may mean some duplication and overlap of models but then if Canon don't have the resources to do it, then nobody does.

Saying that, Canon will be hoping that the 6DII is such a success as to stave off the need transition to mirrorless a bit longer, and for them to get the tech in place to make the transition easier.

From the reviews so far, I don't think the 6DII will be as successful as the 6D, even taking into account the declining camera market.

If anyone wants mirrorless atm, especially FF, then Canon (and Nikon) is not the place to look, other companies are giving better options, and some will even take Canon (and other manufacturers lenses) though they may not work optimally. Depends on how lenses invested the individual is, how much they want to continue to use said lenses, and what compromises they are willing to put up with on whatever camera they choose to put the lenses on.

In an ideal world Canon users would have a Canon FF mirrorless option that will take their Canon lenses. If they want mirrorless of course, and is has to be said again, most people still do not want mirrorless ahead of DSLRs, which are still outselling mirrorless cameras, which is why the 6DII is not mirrorless. ;)

I agree that when the 6D1 was launched there was nothing that could really compete with for the spec and price. Even though I love my 7D1 I was tempted to get a 2nd DSLR body in the form of the 6D1
Problem for canon is though 6D2 is a much better camera than the 6D1 of which there is no doubt about that. The problem is the market has moved on and shifted and canon are still 3-4 years behind in releasing bodies to compete with the competition. In fact Nikon are the same as well. Though the D750 is an amazing camera and is old now it still mostly out performs ( IMO ) the 6D2. The D810 and now the hotly anticipated D850 will put more pressure on canon to produce a better FF DSLR that is affordable.

With Sony producing mirrorless cameras with good AF and very good DR the need for big body FF or APSC DSLR is being brought in to question. Of course there are those that are only comfortable with big grip DSLR bodies and I suspect in a controlled studio shoot why use mirrorless !
Mirrorless have gain momentum with travel vBloggers and travel photographers plus the very keen holiday snapper. The size, weight over spec gap is narrowing very quickly these days. Sony with the E mount and adapters to to take EF lenses they are making the switch for canon users very easy. For me the 6D2 needed to pack more punch into its now rather large body when compared to the competition.
Even one think I thought should included on the 6D2 body like a USB charging socket is no where on any canon body ! Why !
mot people have a smart phone, most people carry a smart phone plug and cable. Instant transferred gear to use with your new canon toy. Sony include this feature as I regular use the USB socket on my old NEX5R APSC mirrorless camera when I an out.

As I mentioned I love my 7D1 and are waiting to see what the 7D3 will bring for as I will end up keeping it for many years. Just like the 6D2 the 7D2 did give me enough spec to chop in my 7D1 and spend some £1,400 on a new body. If Sony make a mirrorless FF camera with a mechanical mount that you can unbolt the E mount to fit a EF mount and hot to accept full control & features of canon speedlite they will have a winner thta canon will not be able to compete with.
I think Sony realise when people have invested alot of money into an ego system from a different manufacturer. Is is very difficult to get people to chop in the lot and then buy a whole new ego system. Why not use what people already have !

I have read reports that canon are making a FF mirrorless EF mount body !
About bl**dy time !
More people now own cameras and the pro togs have up'd their game because of iPhone7 taking such good pictures. Is the market heading to complete mirrorless,....mmmm maybe, however the EV view finder could save the DSLR from becoming a rare species, only to be used by a few select few !

If Canon or Nikon can produce a mirrorless FF camera with zero black out and around 10fps it would probably what moves me over to mirrorless. Well, I guess if Sony did that too I would still be tempted. I think it will come in time, but as tech is quite new it might not be for a while until we see an affordable mirrorless with all the bells and whistles that all round photographers want.

With Sony producing mirrorless cameras with good AF and very good DR the need for big body FF or APSC DSLR is being brought in to question. Of course there are those that are only comfortable with big grip DSLR bodies and I suspect in a controlled studio shoot why use mirrorless !

The majority, atm, seem to be more comfortable with DSLRs than mirrorless, as they are what is selling more. :rolleyes:

Mirrorless have gain momentum with travel vBloggers and travel photographers plus the very keen holiday snapper. The size, weight over spec gap is narrowing very quickly these days. Sony with the E mount and adapters to to take EF lenses they are making the switch for canon users very easy. For me the 6D2 needed to pack more punch into its now rather large body when compared to the competition.
Even one think I thought should included on the 6D2 body like a USB charging socket is no where on any canon body ! Why !
mot people have a smart phone, most people carry a smart phone plug and cable. Instant transferred gear to use with your new canon toy. Sony include this feature as I regular use the USB socket on my old NEX5R APSC mirrorless camera when I an out.

You do know why Sony cameras started being able to be charged over USB don't you, so that on some of their cameras they could save money by not including a battery charger. While I agree it could be a benefit to be able to charge a camera via USB, especially when people may have portable power packs to charge their phones every couple of hours, :rolleyes: it is not even a consideration when I come to buy a camera. The lack of a charger, unless there is a very cheap one available, could be though. ;)

I have read reports that canon are making a FF mirrorless EF mount body !
About bl**dy time !
More people now own cameras and the pro togs have up'd their game because of iPhone7 taking such good pictures.

Really! :eek: Just because of the iPhone 7 Pro Photographers are having to up their game! I hadn't heard that. Who needs DSLRs or mirrorless then when the iPhone 7 is apparently so good. :rolleyes: And a snip too at about £580. :LOL:

Is the market heading to complete mirrorless,....mmmm maybe, however the EV view finder could save the DSLR from becoming a rare species, only to be used by a few select few !
They have a few years before mirrorless cameras will match the sales of DSLRs, so a time when there are no DSLRs is a long way off imho. Don't believe the hype and the enthusiasm of those that have made the switch, and in the case of some bloggers/vloggers, those who may have been 'paid' to make the switch. ;)

We are at a great time when there are so many options to take pics, choose what is right for yourself, and hopefully be happy with the choice. :)

Back to the 6dii was it unreasonable to expect the same dynamic range increase as the previous 3 canon releases?
No, that's why it's disappointing (not criminally insane like some are suggesting) just disappointing

The majority, atm, seem to be more comfortable with DSLRs than mirrorless, as they are what is selling more. :rolleyes:

You do know why Sony cameras started being able to be charged over USB don't you, so that on some of their cameras they could save money by not including a battery charger. While I agree it could be a benefit to be able to charge a camera via USB, especially when people may have portable power packs to charge their phones every couple of hours, :rolleyes: it is not even a consideration when I come to buy a camera. The lack of a charger, unless there is a very cheap one available, could be though. ;)

Really! :eek: Just because of the iPhone 7 Pro Photographers are having to up their game! I hadn't heard that. Who needs DSLRs or mirrorless then when the iPhone 7 is apparently so good. :rolleyes: And a snip too at about £580. :LOL:

They have a few years before mirrorless cameras will match the sales of DSLRs, so a time when there are no DSLRs is a long way off imho. Don't believe the hype and the enthusiasm of those that have made the switch, and in the case of some bloggers/vloggers, those who may have been 'paid' to make the switch. ;)

We are at a great time when there are so many options to take pics, choose what is right for yourself, and hopefully be happy with the choice. :)

I completely agree that you should choose what feels good for you and go with it.

I also think there is a growing market of people wanting just one camera to do all !

For me I can not also take my EOS 7D1 with me every where as it just stands out too much. However my Sony Mirrorless NEX5R is more subtle and discreet and it has the same APSC size sensor in the very small body. The lens are the weak points, then lack of buttons on the camera body, not being able to switch setting quickly is another. Now with that said the A6000, A6300, A6500 are all pretty damn good cameras and strangely enough my NEX5R still has a few things these 3 do not. Touch screen and a flip up screen so the shoot can see the screen when in front of the lens. Big deal some might say, DR, fast AF, and larger AF coverage may trump that.
With Sony making better lenses and the G Master range and the camera bodies just getting more features pack in. The DSLR still has to be better for the Pro, the enthusiasts, to use for their craft. With Pro togs like Jason Lainer always barking on about Sony cameras having great DR, eye focus etc. People will start to listen and start looking at Sony. Even though he is sponsored by Sony and rotolite etc he maintains he started using them before they noticed and started sponsoring him. Canon and Nikon do not have a similar approach as they seem to rely on there fan base and reputation for sales.
This has started to change !

I think you are right that mirrorless have still got a journey before they truly rival DSLR's, however Canon, Nikon are not doing anything about keeping ahead of the game unless the rumour about FF EOS M mirrorless with EF mount are true.
If the new eos M has the DR, fast fps, dual pixel AF, wireless speedlite connectivity, flip out screen, 30mega pixels then it will sell like hot cakes !
Plus canon have started using Nano USM in one lens ATM. If that tech is put in to newer lenses that the eos M will have access to them you have a very fast and accurate AF ego system.
I think because it will appeal to a wider range of people not just the die hard Pro's & enthusiasts but the growing army of vBloggers, videographers, travel photographers, Media production companies etc, etc.

You right this is an exciting time for cameras just like in recent years with smart phones for examlpe the galaxy S8 with infinity screen.

I am looking forward to the future in a very excite school boy way and I wish I was 21 again ! ! !

I'm not sure I can link it here as it's on another forum but there is a realtime, actual user review on there that I'd much rather not take as much salt with as some of the reviews I've seen so far. It has gone some way to restoring my hopes that the Mkii will be an improvement on the original.

It's a down to earth review and an actual owner and it seems objective. The Mkii is what it is, it's no 5Div but it's not as bad by this account as some reviews would have us believe. Time will tell though but this could be the first sign of what the camera is really like in real use.

I'm hoping that review is true to form as I can't really justify the cost of the 5Div. :)

EDIT:- hasten to add, I'm not a member of that forum, I stumbled on it after trawling through reviews.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I can link it here as it's on another forum but there is a realtime, actual user review on there that I'd much rather not take as much salt with as some of the reviews I've seen so far. It has gone some way to restoring my hopes that the Mkii will be an improvement on the original.

It's a down to earth review and an actual owner and it seems objective. The Mkii is what it is, it's no 5Div but it's not as bad by this account as some reviews would have us believe. Time will tell though but this could be the first sign of what the camera is really like in real use.

I'm hoping that review is true to form as I can't really justify the cost of the 5Div. :)

EDIT:- hasten to add, I'm not a member of that forum, I stumbled on it after trawling through reviews.
The 6Dmkii uses a lot of recycled tech apart from the sensor, so it is basically proven tech. The sensor is adequate and for people upgrading from Canon Rebel series and older FF (5Dmkii and 5D Classic) they will find it a huge upgrade. The main drawback of this camera is the price which will come down to meet the laws of supply and demand.

I have watched many video reviews of the 6D2 and the one above is not much different. The original brief of the 6D has not been carried forward into the 6D2. Sure the 6D2 is a better camera ( even with the questionable IQ ) as canon have packed with tech from other recent cameras.

In the right hands I am sure a top Tog can get great images from this camera. However the tog can get them from almost any reasonable camera. The main reason togs buy the higher end models is work flow, easy of use, reliability, durability is harsh conditions.

For the 6D2 does not follow the brief of the original 6D1 and the price is the biggest limiting factor. For me two main things are needed in a camera. Accurate AF is a must. If a camera is pack with features and the AF is pants then the camera is almost useless.
Second, the IQ must be pin sharpe. Yes DR is almost a big issue. However you need to focus on the subject so you can pull detail out of raw file later.

So does the 6D2 score on IQ,....mmmmm I am not sure. Personal I have used a friends 6D1 and I could not get on with it that wel, and did not think its FF low light capabilities was that good. Plus the AF did lock on all of the time !
Would the 6D2 be better,...perhaps.
I am still not going to buy 6D2 to have a FF camera as for bang for buck it is poor !

Last edited:
That's probably about as balanced a review as you're going to get. Still looking for a reason to upgrade though.

With the results I'm getting in the studio it'll have to be a fantastic upgrade to make me even think of upgrading.

With the right lighting the 6D is brilliant

Any owners going any feedback yet?

I'm a drifter..... go wherever the best technology is

Then there is no reason for you to be in this thread. ;)

Personally the 6D MKII is a let down for me (yes I may be a spoiled brat but who's fault is that? ... the camera makers when they were fighting each other to bring out the latest and greatest tech in previous models, that's who) so I'm now looking at different options.

Back