Canon EOS 6D Mk2 Owner's Thread

I'm still laughing at this comment.

And don't forget the sales staff, I was on 2% commission on every sale that went through me in a shop, so £40 on a 2K dslr

Not a great improvement though.:(

From 3.5 to 6.5 does not sound much but I had a 550d and 40d and the fps for those was 3.7 and 6.5.

Lets just say 6.5 felt like a huge upgrade to me at the time, I remember thinking 6.5 was fast.

From 3.5 to 6.5 does not sound much but I had a 550d and 40d and the fps for those was 3.7 and 6.5.

Lets just say 6.5 felt like a huge upgrade to me at the time, I remember thinking 6.5 was fast.

The mk1 is 4.5 not 3.5 fps.

And the 5div is only 7... they literally did the highest they could before getting into the 5d, I also think 7 is quite fast as I came from the 4.5 of the 6d

Not the most positive review. Granted it's better than the original but it seems it's no better than the older competition.

Hmmm, it looks like I might just be keeping my mark i and my money. The mark i is certainly as much as I need but I was hoping for quite a bit more, especially after such a long wait. What's the point in having more focus points when they are crammed in the centre, it's just a waste, and surely increased dynamic range is a major issue today? This should have been so much better.

Hmmm, it looks like I might just be keeping my mark i and my money. The mark i is certainly as much as I need but I was hoping for quite a bit more, especially after such a long wait. What's the point in having more focus points when they are crammed in the centre, it's just a waste, and surely increased dynamic range is a major issue today? This should have been so much better.
Exactly my feelings as to why i will be keeping my 6D:(

As an owner of the original 6D I shall be waiting for the 6Dmkiii but that will be another 5years. The 5Dmkiv is too expensive, at this rate 35mm film photography is beginning to look cheaper in comparison to the never ending gear upgrades with digital! I suspect higher ISO performance is better due to noise reduction incorporated when writing the RAW file.

Last edited:
Bit disappointing, in terms of dynamic range but how would the new sensor stack up against my old 50d for example?

I had a 5d mkiii for a while on loan, I loved this so would like to get a full frame body. Where would the 6d mk ii sit between these two models? Purely on dynamic range, I guess time will tell.

Bit disappointing, in terms of dynamic range but how would the new sensor stack up against my old 50d for example?

I had a 5d mkiii for a while on loan, I loved this so would like to get a full frame body. Where would the 6d mk ii sit between these two models? Purely on dynamic range, I guess time will tell.

Up until recently Canon sensors have always been second best to Nikon and Sony at low ISO and then brought that deficit back as ISO got higher, generally over 1600. Then Canon changed their sensor /amplifier arrangement and the DR at low ISO improved but still gave a way a bit to camera like the D810 in the case of the 5D4. People still hold up the D810 as one of the best sensors and it just shows how far ahead Sony were/are in the sensor game but the 5D4, albeit Canon taking several years to catch up, gives a really good account of itself against the D810 passing it on DR after around ISO 200. A feat unheard of a couple of years ago.

I think Canon have missed a trick with the 6D2 but I would expect it to be a bit better than the 5D3 and old 6D even if it's only at higher ISO. That's the kiss of death if ever their was one.

Thanks for posting that, Jon. It looks like the DPR review wasn't a one-off and you've got to wonder what Canon are playing at. There have been several new products from Canon recently which I was interested in and they just don't quite cut the mustard. When the time comes I suppose I'll have to spend £1k more to get a 5d4.

Oh, hang on ......silly me......

Am I right in that in thinking then if you take a slightly under exposed shot at 100 ISO with the 6d2 and then wanted to boost the shadows of the raw file there would be little detail and a lot of noise?
Is this the crux of poor dynamic range the reviews are referring to? So far it seems consistent that people are disappointed but is it worse for example than my old 50d which in good light is usable for me.
Confused but annoyingly stuck with canon

Am I right in that in thinking then if you take a slightly under exposed shot at 100 ISO with the 6d2 and then wanted to boost the shadows of the raw file there would be little detail and a lot of noise?
Is this the crux of poor dynamic range the reviews are referring to? So far it seems consistent that people are disappointed but is it worse for example than my old 50d which in good light is usable for me.

If the 6D2 is only as good as the original 6D it will be a lot better than your 50D. You simply won't be able to pull back significant under exposure. They will be better cameras out there for that but none of them are any use if you've got a bagful of Canon lenses unless it's a 5D4

Snip:
As an owner of the original 6D I shall be waiting for the 6Dmkiii but that will be another 5years. The 5Dmkiv is too expensive, at this rate 35mm film photography is beginning to look cheaper in comparison to the never ending gear upgrades with digital!

I think I've got the best of both worlds; a Mk 1 6D and a Canon EOS-3 35mm film SLR, which has 45 eye controlled focus points... something even the current 5D Mk IV can't match, you just look at the point you want to focus on and it's done! Will I be upgrading? No, I'll stick with my 6D for the time being, as it does what I need it to and I've not seen anything on the 6DMk2 that I can't live without.

One expects that camera and lens technology will continually improve on all fronts. I'm sure the 6d2 WILL perform better in every way than the 50d because the latter is crop format and a rather dated camera at that.

It's just that Canon seems to move two steps forwards and one step backwards with some of its new products - notably the ones I'm interested in buying! It's very frustrating.

I agree, I was on the cusp of buying a used 6d or 5d3 but thought the 6d2 would be a good option but i may be back to square 1. I suppose I'm in a better place than someone already with 6d wanting more capabilities

I agree, I was on the cusp of buying a used 6d or 5d3 but thought the 6d2 would be a good option but i may be back to square 1. I suppose I'm in a better place than someone already with 6d wanting more capabilities

A 5d3 would be a good choice for you if you can't afford a 5d4..........although the 6d1 is a good camera too and can be got quite cheaply now new.

This is something which has me confused too.
I've had a Nikon D750 and very easily see how from a dark underexposed image I could get a very clean looking properly exposed image.
Ok but why didn't I expose correctly in the first place.isnt the better DR really an excuse for not exposing correctly and wouldn't bracketing be an alternative also.
Im just not getting this proberbly due to inexperience but I welcome some enlightening advice.
thanks

This is something which has me confused too.
I've had a Nikon D750 and very easily see how from a dark underexposed image I could get a very clean looking properly exposed image.
Ok but why didn't I expose correctly in the first place.isnt the better DR really an excuse for not exposing correctly and wouldn't bracketing be an alternative also.
Im just not getting this proberbly due to inexperience but I welcome some enlightening advice.
thanks

It's not necessarily incorrect exposure or inexperience; sometimes contrast levels are too high for a sensor to cope with successfully. I open up shadows (and turn down highlights) all the time; it's one of the big advantages of digital over film. As you say one can also bracket and combine different exposures in your software. I suppose we just expect technological change will march onwards and we will always benefit from it. Canon seems to have other ideas..........

Hi Jeremy.
Does bracketing more or less equal the DR say of the D750?

Depends what you bracket for, and in your capabilities at blending those bracketed shots.

Of course the d750 can also shoot bracketed shots for more extreme situations.

As someone who has shot canon for years and done loads of digital blending then moved to Sony as a landscape photographer I would say the added dynamic range is a massive bonus.

The files feel like an elastic band that can easily be stretched as you need them to. Canons feel like a shorter elastic band.

Is the consensus that 6d2 is worse than 6d and 5d3?

In what way?

In shadow banding and pattern noise it's going to be better than a 5d3. In terms of dual cards worse.

As I understand it is iq is the same as 6d but if you want an articulated screen...

Hi Jeremy.
Does bracketing more or less equal the DR say of the D750?

I honestly don't know anything about Nikon cameras although people do use the 750d (er....d750....) as an example of good sensor performance. I don't know that much about equipment in general, really; I mainly know how to use what I have and how I can upgrade my kit when the time comes.

I had a 5d3 on long term loan for a while and liked it but it had to go back so I'm now using my old 50d. I want to go back to full frame. So my choice is 5d3 again or 6d2. I regularly raise shadows in landscapes on my 50d and is perfectly usable for me. So time will tell how bad 6d2 is I guess

Depends what you bracket for, and in your capabilities at blending those bracketed shots.

Of course the d750 can also shoot bracketed shots for more extreme situations.

As someone who has shot canon for years and done loads of digital blending then moved to Sony as a landscape photographer I would say the added dynamic range is a massive bonus.

The files feel like an elastic band that can easily be stretched as you need them to. Canons feel like a shorter elastic band.

Canon have closed the gap significantly with the 5D4 and its only the very best Sony sensors i.e. A7RII that still hold any significant advantage in DR across a broad spectrum of ISO. Sony don't have a class leading sensor in the A9. It's better in some aspects and worse in others.

I had a 5d3 on long term loan for a while and liked it but it had to go back so I'm now using my old 50d. I want to go back to full frame. So my choice is 5d3 again or 6d2. I regularly raise shadows in landscapes on my 50d and is perfectly usable for me. So time will tell how bad 6d2 is I guess

It's unlikely to be BAD, as such, just not as good as it could and probably should have been.

Canon have closed the gap significantly with the 5D4 and its only the very best Sony sensors i.e. A7RII that still hold any significant advantage in DR across a broad spectrum of ISO. Sony don't have a class leading sensor in the A9. It's better in some aspects and worse in others.

Having owned both the SonyA7RII and A9, resolution aside, the ISO/DR differences on paper seem a lot bigger than they actually are in reality. As you said, perhaps worse in some aspects but better than others compared to the A7RII. If you compared it to bodies in the same class then Sony still leads and I believe they will do for the foreseeable future.

Canon really needed to push for better ISO/DR compared to the original 6D.

Having owned both the SonyA7RII and A9, resolution aside, the ISO/DR differences on paper seem a lot bigger than they actually are in reality. As you said, perhaps worse in some aspects but better than others compared to the A7RII. If you compared it to bodies in the same class then Sony still leads and I believe they will do for the foreseeable future.

Canon really needed to push for better ISO/DR compared to the original 6D.

What sets the A7RII apart is the resolution and that's it still has great high ISO etc etc. It's a monster of a sensor. Problem is when you're at the top of the tree staying there is harder. You have to keep moving the goal posts. Or whatever the top of the tree equivalent is.

I cannot see Canon ever becoming a leader in sensor development but they don't need to at this point in time. If Sony ever decide to stop letting Nikon have their sensors i.e. If Nikon start competing with Sony at high level mirrorless then Nikon are going to suffer quite a bit. At least Canon have control of their own designs.

But it seems Canon have made a strange decision here with the 6D2. Glad I didn't wait and bought the 5D4.

What sets the A7RII apart is the resolution and that's it still has great high ISO etc etc. It's a monster of a sensor. Problem is when you're at the top of the tree staying there is harder. You have to keep moving the goal posts. Or whatever the top of the tree equivalent is.

I cannot see Canon ever becoming a leader in sensor development but they don't need to at this point in time. If Sony ever decide to stop letting Nikon have their sensors i.e. If Nikon start competing with Sony at high level mirrorless then Nikon are going to suffer quite a bit. At least Canon have control of their own designs.

But it seems Canon have made a strange decision here with the 6D2. Glad I didn't wait and bought the 5D4.

I guess there will always be bigger and better sensors out in the future ...... I am looking forward to the next revolution in sensor technology as apposed to evolution of the current tech. :D

Well Canon cannot be all that far behind.

I have to zoom in very close to see the difference between these 2 raw files.

Both 26,400 ISO

One Canon 6D and other is Nikon 24mp full frame.

View attachment 107341

Well Canon cannot be all that far behind.

I have to zoom in very close to see the difference between these 2 raw files.

Both 26,400 ISO

One Canon 6D and other is Nikon 24mp full frame.

View attachment 107341

This can be said for most of the modern camera's available, for example, I know there is a gap between the Sony A9 and A7RII for DR/ISO abilities but unless you do some serious post-processing with deep recovery in most real world situations it won't matter, so for me a non issue.
I guess its that upper 5-10% which manufacturers seem to fight for at the moment from a technical perspective etc, for 90-95% of photography the differences are negligible.

Dynamic range seem to be the must have in sensor development but the headline figures that you see from somewhere like DXOMARK are all measured at base ISO.

Above ISO 800 DXO measures the old 6D as having more DR than a D810 which has been a trait of Canon. Lose out at base gain at higher.

For many DR at base is what they want but I bought a 6D for Astro work so the higher DR was beneficial to me as it also had a good signal to noise ratio. Even now the 6D matches the 5D4 above ISO 3200.

It wasn't a bad camera with a bad sensor but it was outdated in many other aspects of its performance which the 6D2 seems to have addresssed.

The DR comparison with the 5d4 at 10 mins, 12 secs of that video is huge in the detail!

Back