Canon EOS 70D Owners Thread.

Hi Guys, Im looking to get back into photography again and thinking of buying a 70d. What lens would you reccomend to go with this camera? Budget 500-600 max. Looking for a lens i can use most of the time, mainly for family/kids/events and family weddings.

A good lens on a crop camera is Canon 15-85, a good range, superb IQ. It has been on my 7D for four years an excellent lens, the only downside is speed at f3.5-f5.6, but haven't found it a problem, you could always get a 50mm f1.8 for when you need speed.

Hi Guys, Im looking to get back into photography again and thinking of buying a 70d. What lens would you reccomend to go with this camera? Budget 500-600 max. Looking for a lens i can use most of the time, mainly for family/kids/events and family weddings.

EF-S 17-55mm f2.8

18-135mm STM lens is a pretty decent option if you don't have the cash for the 17-55mm F2.8 with a bit more range too

I've had the 15-85 for a few years now and the IQ is brilliant, however is it a slower lens like artyman said. The 17-55 is a great lens if you need a fast lens, but you loose some of the reach.

Email from Kerso - mine has now been shipped. Hoping to receive it tomorrow.

Mine has arrived! :clap:

Can't wait to get home and check it out. Other than making sure I check it's all there, read through the bumf and charge the battery, is there anything else I need to do?

Got mine a couple of days ago from DR. Very impressed so far. Fast focussing and tracking using AI Servo and very good high ISO quality. A big leap up from my 400D.

:thinking:

How do I know when the battery is fully charged? Currently the LED blinks once a second.

:thinking:

How do I know when the battery is fully charged? Currently the LED blinks once a second.

Read the manual.

Fully charged when green and constant.

My father's 70d arrived today from DR in HK. Ordered on Friday night.

First impressions very good.

Yeah I know. RTFM but at the mo, too excited.

I've just realised the rear cap for the lens and the body cap both fit together! :naughty:

Wonder whether I should do a Kai and buy a Nikon camera strap for the 70D :LOL: More seriously, I'm looking at a lens hood from the likes of Wex. Any other places I should look? Wary of the cheap knock-offs from ebay.

The package from Kerso also has a lens cap holder thing, and a UV filter. What does everyone's charger look like? Mine has the plug that folds from the back and plugs into the wall (via the UK adapter).

From DR in HK my fathers' has come with a UK plug...

Sounds like yours is an American model with adapter...

It's from Kerso so definitely an American one. Just wondered whether the UK one also folded into the charger for storage.

I just had a cheeky play with 50% battery. Love the video live mode - certainly the focussing is quick enough that it's barely detectable. Love how you can touch the screen so it will focus on an item and then track it whilst in video mode.

The touch screen is also amazing for taking pics - touch an object on the screen and when it's in focus, the camera takes a pic.

Am facing issues with the camera failing to take a photo at very short ranges. Might be too short for the 18-135mm lens to focus. The zoom is awesome and it's still sharp. Obviously just chimping rather than pixel peeping. Glad I went for a larger range.

In some ways, I want a cover/case for the camera. I love how I could buy a leather case for the G12. I know the 70D doesn't need it but I still want a compact case for it.

With respect to weight, when there's a flash and the 18-135mm lens, the weight becomes hefty. Now I lift weights but I am really glad I didn't go for a 7D.

With respect to weight, when there's a flash and the 18-135mm lens, the weight becomes hefty. Now I lift weights but I am really glad I didn't go for a 7D.

Try a 5D3 with a Sigma 50-500 for a few hours wearing waterproofs, boots and a lifebelt...

Hi,

I hope you are all happy with your shiny 70d's? I ask because I am thinking of joining your club, but am torn between the 60d and the 70d. I currently use a 40d which is great, so either would be a step up from what I have at the moment.

The big selling points for the 70d are the dual pixel video focusing as I do a lot of video work, the extra cross type focus points, the wifi features and generally the improved innards compared with the older models.

The big selling point of the 60d is that it is less than half the price!!

Is the 70d worth doubling my money? I'm leaning towards yes at the mo, but would like your opinions please!

Thanks, Rob

Actually got another question for you and this one may be a bit of a noob one so please bear with me.

What are the benefits of getting an imported one over a UK, apart from price? For example, I know with other cameras that have good video functionality like the GH3, the time limit for continuous video is restricted due to stupid EU guidelines. Basically, if it can video for over 30 minutes out the box, it is a video camera, not a camera and has to be priced differently.

Are there any tech limitations to buying the UK version over the rest of the world?

Cheers, Rob

No technical benefit other than warranty.

I had the same dilemma of 60D v 70D. Into the mix was the 7D. For me, the 70D took the features I wanted from the 7D (fps, autofocus points), added them to the 60D and stufk in some extra features.

Depends on the features and whether you think it's worth the money or whether you could live without them. The 60D is still a good camera. For me, the 70D won the battle.

Having owned a 60D, a 550D, two 7D's and using the wifes 650D I can definitely say the 70D is the best 1.6 Crop body I've ever had. IMO it's better than the 1D MkIII I had as well, which was a cracking camera only let down by the screen resolution and the 10Mp for cropping.

I very rarely machine gun my shots so I'm not too bothered about the fps rate, but the IQ I'm getting, coupled with the superb AF system (with spot focus it would be excellent), the articulating screen for macro, above head height shots and video, the touchscreen abilities (which I'm still getting to grips with after shooting with a 5D MkIII and 7D for so long) that I keep remembering 'I can do this with it' are the main highlights for me and make the 70D the best allround crop body I've ever had.

My setup is more or less complete now, with the 5D MkIII and 70D I reckon I've about got the 2 best cameras I'm ever going to own and coupled with the range of lenses I've got and the new lighting equipment I've just received I'm set up for a long time. The only time I'll be buying more is to update my lenses to newer and better lenses when I can afford it.

I need to address the lens issues. I'm so used to going from wide angle to macro with my G12 that I keep forgetting the 18-135mm lens won't focus at objects close up. The G12 would happily focus at upto 1cm from the lens!

Just received the BG-E14 grip for my new 70D. I prefer the extra bulk in my hands as well as the aditional battery life and portrait controls.

What does the grip feel like? I didn't like the plasticky nature of the battery port - feels very flimsy. Where did you buy it from? I see DR have it for £140.

What does the grip feel like? I didn't like the plasticky nature of the battery port - feels very flimsy. Where did you buy it from? I see DR have it for £140.

I got it from DR. I had a compatible one on my 400D and loved the extra surface area to grip as well as the extra battery life when using AI Servo. It was that that made me buy one now for the 70D. The 70D felt too small in my hand, not that I have extra big hands mind.

This one is the original Canon one and much better made, it feels good quality in your hand. It's no more pasticky than the camera itself. It does add a bit of weight of course with the extra case, electronics and additional battery. It also adds more bulk to hold on to which I like.

I found that with the 18-135mm stm lens and the 430exii on camera, it becomes a bit front heavy. I wonder whether the grip would help stabilise the weight.

Stupid question as on piephone: how many batteries does the grip hold?

The grip holds 2 batteries. It should help with balance but it does become a two handed affair.

I've had grips on all the bodies I've had, the extra size gives something for my little finger to hold onto and I find the bodies balance much better in my hands, specially with a longer and heavier lens on. I've got a genuine grip on the 70D but I've had Meike grips on all the other bodies I've had and they are excellent. I got the Canon grip as a birthday present from the wife but I don't know if there's any 3rd party grips released yet.

My 70D :love: turned up today from Panamoz so I've now got some manual reading to do while the battery is on charge.

I'm new here and have joined in order to find out what real-world users think of the 70D.

I've been using a FinePix F500EXR compact for a few years but had Canon EOS-1 in the pre-digital era along with various Nikon F's and assorted lenses. I'm a retired Graphic Designer and Art Director.

So, I have now watched and read many 70D reviews and am convinced it's the right camera for me. Am going for the Canon 100mm f2.8L IS USM Macro and Canon 24-105mm f4L IS USM zoom.

Can anyone tell me please, on stills (I don't do video) if when using the touch screen to select where to focus, I can still use the top plate shutter button to take the shot without having to come out of Live View?

Perhaps it would be faster to just autofocus through the viewfinder, recompose, and fine tune the focus manually.

Sorry if it's a silly question but I won't be actually taking delivery for a few weeks. Thanks.

Is that the Red Baron from the MK5 forum?

You have two options with the live view:

1. touch the screen to focus and then use the shutter button to take the photo
2. use touch focus, which seems to take a photo as soon as the item you pressed is in focus.

Is that the Red Baron from the MK5 forum?

You have two options with the live view:

1. touch the screen to focus and then use the shutter button to take the photo
2. use touch focus, which seems to take a photo as soon as the item you pressed is in focus.

....Thanks for that info, omens - Very helpful (y)

Option 1 would be very tidy for me in certain situations. I was hoping it was an option.

Option 2 is a setting I assume and doesn't sound as if it offers enough precise control over exactly when to shoot. But good to have extra options.

Yes, indeed it is the throbbin' red one from the GTI Mk5 forum! So, what's your forum name over there?

Last edited:
^^^^
Nice one, Jaz!

Just had a read of the manual. About halfway through it! Setting custom WB seems like a faff (take image of white item, then go into settings to use the image as the WB). So much easier on the G12 where you pointed the lens at a white image and pressed a button.

So far, enjoying the camera but not had the opportunity to take it out and about yet.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating!

So taking the 70D out and about is the real test and how easily or not each of us individually handles and likes what it has to offer.

So, we've had the 70D a few weeks/days now and all had a good play with them. What are you finding missing from other bodies you've had that would improve the 70D. The only thing I can think of so far is that it's missing the 'Spot Focus' of the 7D that would make it easier to get birds in trees and wildlife in bushes etc. I've still got it on my 5D3, it's set to spot focus 90% of the time so I can use that for the real tricky shots, but I would love it if Canon could introduce spot focus points in a firmware update.

I've used my 70D for just about all the types of shots I take now and it really excels in macro. I find it better than my 5D3, which is something I never would of thought, but the articulating screen and fast focussing with my 100 L macro is excellent. The added 'reach' is great for my aviation shots, with the 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII and 2x MkIII converter is giving me some great shots, on a par with the 5D3 and Sigma 150-500 OS in regards to IQ.

At last I can just pick either body out of my case and know I'm going to get high quality photos every time, and not have to pick this body for doing this and that body for something else, so IMHO the 70D is the 'best' crop body I've had. I just wonder if it could be improved.

Does sound very good, but I doubt you'll ever get spot focus, even if it is possible it would degrade the worth of the 7D series too much so would be held back for business reasons

Back