Canon EOS 7D Owners Thread

rhody said:
hi James - the Digital Rev price includes delivery and VAT - it's £699 fully inclusive - so it is a very good deal.

The offer is "ending soon" according to Julia of DigRev so don't think too long if you are tempted.

Now you have me worried, about this error 30 code! Eeeekk!

I think iam going to get mine from Panamoz for £625

Last edited:
Many thanks killwilly - got to be worth a try before a big spend.

Bl**dy nuisance to deal with though as I've lost all confidence in the 7D now.

I only bought my 7D the beginning of last December, so early days. I upgraded from a 450D and so far have been very happy. I shall be keeping everything crossed, particularly when I get to the end of the warranty period.

Good luck with yours and don't give up just yet.

Thanks killwilly - It was interesting to read that others had the same problem after using mirror lock up and long exposures.

That is exactly what I was doing for 3 consecutive shoots when "Err 30" introduced itself into my life and sent my beloved 7D into FUBAR mode.

Last edited:
On my 450D when using AF, the center point would flash red when AF had been achieved. I can't seem to get my 7D to do the same. The beep will sound, but no red light. Is this not available on this body?

I found it very helpful when using my old manual M42 lenses with chipped adapters.

On my 450D when using AF, the center point would flash red when AF had been achieved. I can't seem to get my 7D to do the same. The beep will sound, but no red light. Is this not available on this body?

I found it very helpful when using my old manual M42 lenses with chipped adapters.

On the 7D there is a setting which causes the whole viewfinder to flash red very briefly as you achieve focus. It's a custom function setting - 'Viewfinder illumination' I think, without actually checking. It's excellent - give it a go.

The AF red indicator only shows up Red depending on what method of focus setting you are using I think??!

On the 7D there is a setting which causes the whole viewfinder to flash red very briefly as you achieve focus. It's a custom function setting - 'Viewfinder illumination' I think, without actually checking. It's excellent - give it a go.

Thanks, iv'e now found the answer. It does flash red, but only in low light conditions. The reason for my question was. This morning I went for a walk with the 7D and my Zeiss 50mm f2.8 M42 manual lens and found that due to the bright sunlight and the snow, it was far to bright to trigger the elimination, but it does work indoors.

On my 450D, the AF point would flash red no matter what the light conditions, which I quite liked. So something else learned about this camera.:)

Thanks, iv'e now found the answer. It does flash red, but only in low light conditions. The reason for my question was. This morning I went for a walk with the 7D and my Zeiss 50mm f2.8 M42 manual lens and found that due to the bright sunlight and the snow, it was far to bright to trigger the elimination, but it does work indoors.

On my 450D, the AF point would flash red no matter what the light conditions, which I quite liked. So something else learned about this camera.:)

You can set the flash of red AF confirmation to auto, on, or off. CF-III, 8.

Guys how does the 7D perform for landscapes? I'm considering my options and the current price of the 7D is very tempting as the AF would be excellent for Motorsport but my other passion is landscapes and wondered if it would cut the mustard there too.

Not related to the 7D performance specifically but the 10-22mm Canon Lens is EFS only so makes a great combo.

Last edited:
Guys how does the 7D perform for landscapes? I'm considering my options and the current price of the 7D is very tempting as the AF would be excellent for Motorsport but my other passion is landscapes and wondered if it would cut the mustard there too.
See whether this thread can provide any answers. I've only had a glance, so I don't know whether it will be mostly drivel or mature discussion, but there are pictures there for sure...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1197369

chrism_scotland said:
Thanks guys will take a look, first impressions that it does landscapes very well!

I've been thinking about going back to micro 4/3 but I do want to do a bit of Motorsport shooting and I know that even with an OMD the AF isn't likely to be sufficient for that.

Chris I keep seeing this, can you tell me why the 7D is so good for Motorsport? Genuine question.

Well having had a look there are some stunning 7D landscape shots, I'm very very tempted. £700 for a brand new top of the line APS-C DSLR which would be excellent for Motorsport or £800 for the admittedly much more portable OMD, it seems to make more sense to go for the Canon

Well having had a look there are some stunning 7D landscape shots, .......

I expect you'll find that the results say far more about the photographer than the camera. :D

It's not the camera that chooses the location, the season, the weather, the time of day, the angle of the sun, the composition, which filters to use blah, blah, blah. All the camera has to do is to capture photons. Is it the singer or the microphone? Is it the cook or the saucepans? Is it the carpenter or the chisel, the painter or the paintbrush, the photographer or the camera? I think the human contribution might have the greater significance. :D

Last edited:
I expect you'll find that the results say far more about the photographer than the camera. :D

It's not the camera that chooses the location, the season, the weather, the time of day, the angle of the sun, the composition, which filters to use blah, blah, blah. All the camera has to do is to capture photons. Is it the singer or the microphone? Is it the cook or the saucepans? Is it the carpenter or the chisel, the painter or the paintbrush, the photographer or the camera? I think the human contribution might have the greater significance. :D

I totally appreciate that I know well enough that a good camera doesn't guarantee results its just I've read a lot about the 7D being unsuitable for landscapes....

As I understand it there's a review from the early days of the 7D by a (supposedly) well known and talented landscape photographer - Darwin Wigget - who found the output from the 7D to be extremely poor when used for landscape work. I'm not sure that many in the photographic community agreed with him, but that review seems to have stuck in the minds of many. I believe most of the issues in the review arose from stopping down too far, leading to severe diffraction softening at the pixel level, and then pixel peeping with little or no sharpening.

http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/the-canon-7d/

As I understand it there's a review from the early days of the 7D by a (supposedly) well known and talented landscape photographer - Darwin Wigget

Wow! Yes! I'd forgotten about that. Thankfully that particular example of utter ineptitude has sunk into deservable obscurity. But it did a lot of damage in the early days of the 7D.

Thanks. I used the 100-400

Great lens, I borrowed a friends on for a couple of recent football games :D bit of a step up from my 24-105

Ok thanks, do you shoot people yourself? Any experiences with flash with it?

Just to confirm all of the lens that I use with my 40D will fit wouldnt they? Both cameras are crop.

Yes they would both fit.

#1 Flash + 70-200 2.8
[removed]

#2 Flash + 10-20
[removed]

#3 No flash and 50 1.8
6957803102_e14f67c3ef_z.jpg

#4 No flash and 50 1.8
6957892292_05aecccbce_z.jpg

If you want anything specific feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Well having had a look there are some stunning 7D landscape shots, I'm very very tempted. £700 for a brand new top of the line APS-C DSLR which would be excellent for Motorsport or £800 for the admittedly much more portable OMD, it seems to make more sense to go for the Canon

Looks like you've convinced yourself.

Buy buy buy! You won't regret it for a second.

Thanks ACW, what lens do you use with the 7d?

Thanks ACW, what lens do you use with the 7d?

No problem, and various lenses.

Including, Canon 70-200 2.8, 10-20, 150-500, 50 1.8 and 28-80. Any of those similar to what you might be using them with?

Just about it.... although I've had some luck with a fairly big PPI claim.... so I'm considering some others too now.... (D700, 6D, D600).... Lol

Nice one, good to see it's going to get spend well!

6D would be nice, just won't quite compare for motorsports / wildlife, but would be good for the old portraits and landscapes. I won't comment on the Nikon!

Thats my concern really, I know that the AF of both the 6D (and D600) isn't as good as the 7D or the Nikon D300s...

I'm half tempted to buy the 7D and then see what direction I take.. I might end up doing a lot less or a lot more motorsport shooting that I think.

If the PPI has been really kind to you then get the 6D + 7D ;)

Anyone local to you got one you can try?

Really dont like the fact the 6D doesnt have the joystick imo

Haha! My head has been telling me to get one of the 7D, D7000 or D300s (used), as all can be had for about the same price £600-700 roughly.

Saves me a lot of cash v either the 6D or D600 that I can put toward lenses... if I was to want a full frame camera I'd probably be tempted to add a used 5D MKII later in the year for landscapes / low light and leave the 7D for motorsport but I feel a 7D would likely cover off most of my needs better for now.

I'm lucky enough to have Calumet very close to home so I might pop in there for a look.

Last edited:
Back