Canon EOS 7D Owners Thread

Well I got into Calumet tonight and they were very helpful, seen as they're the last photo place left round here I think I'll be buying most of my kit from there, prices seem decent.

Managed to handle a 7D and a D300 and I think I'll be going for the 7D just felt good to hold and at £700 new (HDEW) its not any more than a used D300s would cost me.

Just need to decide on lenses now! Any suggestions!

chrism_scotland said:
Well I got into Calumet tonight and they were very helpful, seen as they're the last photo place left round here I think I'll be buying most of my kit from there, prices seem decent.

Managed to handle a 7D and a D300 and I think I'll be going for the 7D just felt good to hold and at £700 new (HDEW) its not any more than a used D300s would cost me.

Just need to decide on lenses now! Any suggestions!

Just taken delivery of my 7D! Battery is charging :D Get it from Panamoz Chris, £633 to your door!

Top choice you won't be disappointed :). 24-105mm lens is a good bet. Mine lived on my 7D until recently when I was lucky enough to obtain the 24-70 mk2 :)

Top choice you won't be disappointed :). 24-105mm lens is a good bet. Mine lived on my 7D until recently when I was lucky enough to obtain the 24-70 mk2 :)

depends how wide of a lens he needs. if he needs wider lens. i recommend the 15-85 or the 17-55 f2.8

chrism_scotland said:
Grrr HDEW now out of the 7D

Panamoz it is then!

I have just received my 7d :D so far i have only been able to take a few shots of the dog etc, just playing to see what its like. :clap:
I fancy doing a few more indoor shots, (its dryer and warmer) but need advice on off camera flash and remote triggers.
I understand the 7d has a built in trigger but dont know which flashes will work with it.
I dont want to spend a lot of ££ just in case its not for me.
Any advice will be helpful
thanks

I have just received my 7d :D so far i have only been able to take a few shots of the dog etc, just playing to see what its like. :clap:
I fancy doing a few more indoor shots, (its dryer and warmer) but need advice on off camera flash and remote triggers.
I understand the 7d has a built in trigger but dont know which flashes will work with it.I dont want to spend a lot of ££ just in case its not for me.
Any advice will be helpful
thanks

Any E-TTL enabled slave gun (ie all the decent ones) will work perfectly off the 7D's pop-up. Canon 430EXII is a good choice, or Nissin, Metz, or Yongnuo of similar spec.

IMHO it's always a good idea to get at least one high quality flash, preferably one with high speed sync facility. If you take to this strobist malarky, and I strongly recommend that you do (y) then you can add cheap extra guns and even cheaper radio triggers to make it all sing together :)

Any E-TTL enabled slave gun (ie all the decent ones) will work perfectly off the 7D's pop-up.

So if iam reading that right you have to fire the on board 7D flash which will then fire the 430II or other speed light?

The on board flash can act as a Master to control Canon compatible ETTL slave guns.

You can disable the flash exposure ( I guess most folk will whilst in Master mode) from the on board so it won't impact on the image, although it will still flash to transmit data to the slaves just prior to the exposure.

So if iam reading that right you have to fire the on board 7D flash which will then fire the 430II or other speed light?

Yes. Pop-up on 7D is not only a regular E-TTL flash, but also a master controller for remote guns (unlike most other Canons).

It works by sending light-coded signals to the slaves, at lighting speed so fast you can't detect them with the naked eye. These both calculate exposure and also instruct the the slaves to fire at the right power, at the right moment.

The pop-up can be set to also fire a main flash pulse as well as all the coded flashes, or switched off for that - though it does still fires at very low power, even when theoretically disabled.

Only problem is in bright light outdoors, the mastering signals can get washed out and become unreliable, which is where radio triggers score.

The on board flash can act as a Master to control Canon compatible ETTL slave guns.

You can disable the flash exposure ( I guess most folk will whilst in Master mode) from the on board so it won't impact on the image, although it will still flash to transmit data to the slaves just prior to the exposure.

Yes. Pop-up on 7D is not only a regular E-TTL flash, but also a master controller for remote guns (unlike most other Canons).

It works by sending light-coded signals to the slaves, at lighting speed so fast you can't detect them with the naked eye. These both calculate exposure and also instruct the the slaves to fire at the right power, at the right moment.

The pop-up can be set to also fire a main flash pulse as well as all the coded flashes, or switched off for that - though it does still fires at very low power, even when theoretically disabled.

Only problem is in bright light outdoors, the mastering signals can get washed out and become unreliable, which is where radio triggers score.

Cheers fellas, didnt know that. Kinda wish I didnt bother with my order of the Younguno triggers now-only got them yesterday...oh well

Cheers fellas, didnt know that. Kinda wish I didnt bother with my order of the Younguno triggers now-only got them yesterday...oh well

Don't worry, keep them. And they didn't cost much ;)

E-TTL is brilliant when you need it, the main advantage being speed of use, especially in changing conditions - you can get a good exposure first time.

But when you're using remote guns, there's always a degree of set-up time invloved and you usually have some control of what's happening. In which case, the preferred mode is full manual and the Yongnuos also give you the reliability and range of radio (y)

Don't worry, keep them. And they didn't cost much ;)

E-TTL is brilliant when you need it, the main advantage being speed of use, especially in changing conditions - you can get a good exposure first time.

But when you're using remote guns, there's always a degree of set-up time invloved and you usually have some control of what's happening. In which case, the preferred mode is full manual and the Yongnuos also give you the reliability and range of radio (y)

Thanks Hoppy, I will be trying some strobist stuff soon enough-when I have some free time with some family members :D

chrism_scotland said:
Looking at primes the 50 1.4 seems a must buy but is there a good/decently priced 35mm?

New Sigma?

Thanks for the info (y)
I think i need to go for a 430EX11, Its going to do everything im wanting.
now i just need to find the best price.

I picked up my Canon 7d just over two weeks ago upgrading from a 20D. Wow what a massive difference in everything. Heres a couple of pictures, the bird was taken at 3200 and cleaned up in photoshop, I cant even imagine what that ISO would off looked like on my 20D. Have just bought a 100-400 this week and cannot wait to use it next week for some more motorsport.

IMG_1015 by Motorsport-Mad-Dex, on Flickr

IMG_10871024 by Motorsport-Mad-Dex, on Flickr

Just bought mine today, gets delivered tomorrow and I can't wait!!! Using it mostly for automotive photography as an upgrade from an 1100D... and what an upgrade! :)

Just bought mine today, gets delivered tomorrow and I can't wait!!! Using it mostly for automotive photography as an upgrade from an 1100D... and what an upgrade! :)

Where did you get it from can I ask? HDEW reckons there is a 10 day lead time which doesn't work for me.

Yeah, thinking a UK supplier will have to be the way, at least if I go John Lewis it's a 2 year guarantee and there shoudn't be any warranty issues.

After months of deliberating as to what camera to buy I decided on a 7d.

Then deciding whether to get a UK model (probs s/h) or grey import when the desision was made for me, a UK refurb direct from Canon for cheaper than a grey import!

Expect regular questions from me, it's a bit of a jump from my 1000d.

I want to read the shutter count on my 1000d and the 'new' 7d but I use a Mac so what software can I use?

After months of deliberating as to what camera to buy I decided on a 7d.

Then deciding whether to get a UK model (probs s/h) or grey import when the desision was made for me, a UK refurb direct from Canon for cheaper than a grey import!

Expect regular questions from me, it's a bit of a jump from my 1000d.

I want to read the shutter count on my 1000d and the 'new' 7d but I use a Mac so what software can I use?

No way to read the shutter count on a 7D I'm afraid! Some problem to do with the dual processors or something :wacky:

Ah I managed on my old 1000d but couldn't on 7D, makes sense.

Anyway 7D is now in my possession! Happy days, impressed so far but a lot to learn.

No way to read the shutter count on a 7D I'm afraid! Some problem to do with the dual processors or something :wacky:

Yes there is, as long as you have a PC. Look for EOSCount. But it costs a small amount.

The latest version of Reikan's FoCal also has a 'shutter count' in the camera information, but I haven't tested it myself.

Yes there is, as long as you have a PC. Look for EOSCount. But it costs a small amount.

The latest version of Reikan's FoCal also has a 'shutter count' in the camera information, but I haven't tested it myself.

I have EOSCount and it doesn't work with my 7D :thinking:

Anyone ever changed their focus screen on the 7D? I've had my replacement 7D for a day (last one had dodgy serial number) and I've discovered scratches on my focus screen as well as a black speck inside the view finder (that I failed at removing)... I've seen plenty of guides on the internet about changing the focus screen it and it seems pretty easy to me. There's also split-prism focus screens available - look useful?!

Last edited:
I have EOSCount and it doesn't work with my 7D :thinking:

i can confirm that eoscount works on the 7d but you have to pay a small amount as stated before only about £1.50

here is the proof i have removed my serial number.

1MqyVQ_zps75491c63.jpg

also another option is install magic lantern for canon 7d

TEST_zps9b5755bd.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone ever changed their focus screen on the 7D? I've had my replacement 7D for a day (last one had dodgy serial number) and I've discovered scratches on my focus screen as well as a black speck inside the view finder (that I failed at removing)... I've seen plenty of guides on the internet about changing the focus screen it and it seems pretty easy to me. There's also split-prism focus screens available - look useful?!!

OR, should I just send it back?

Last edited:
Just picked up my new DSLR today, another 7D (y)

After buying one at launch and finally outing it 6 months ago in favour of a couple of M4/3 Panasonic cameras, I have gone full circle :help:

I have spent months deliberating and review reading but for ME I don't think there is a better 'all round' body....

So 7D'ers, a couple of questions....

Grip - worth it or not?
What lens have you got on yours the most? (I have bought a 24-105L as my walkabout choice)

Best lenses for quality and value 70-300L F 4.- 5.6 IS USM and the 40 mm pancake ( perfect point and shoot and indoor if you want video ) all your FL's are covered with your 24-105L.
I'd have preferred the 24-70 f2.8 II L but its way over priced and the 24-105 is very good value at £580. So may go that way myself.

Mmmm. Just bought EOSCount and the results differ from my file numbering ...
EOSCount gave me a shutter count of 21916, whereas my archive file numbering was at 24893 last weekend :thinking:

Back