Canon EOS 7D Owners Thread

Mmmm. Just bought EOSCount and the results differ from my file numbering ...
EOSCount gave me a shutter count of 21916, whereas my archive file numbering was at 24893 last weekend :thinking:

never rely on your file number that is the last thing you want to do always go by the shutter count

I'm guessing that advice for my situation is in short supply then... Back to the shop then!

:thinking: Er ... So how does that work then ...

shutter count is stored in the camera and cannot get incorrect reading with shutter count software or sites. now file number is a not the way to read the count as it can be inaccurate. also a thing to remember is if you are in live view mode the shutter is up so when you take a photo the shutter does not move this is called a action. so your file numbering will increase but not the shutter count if you look at the black photo i uploaded a couple of posts back you will see my shutter count is 25270 and i have 3179 actions

Last edited:
Hi. I currently use a 550D. It's 2 years old now and I feel like I want to move onto more serious hardware. Would you recommend the 7D as a worthy upgrade or more of the same. Generally shoot landscapes, generic travel/city images.

550D & 7D are the same sensor, you'll get better autofocus, fps, weather sealing and stuff like that. Maybe for what you're after a 6D with a FF sensor but are your lenses compatible? Maybe even are your lenses of good quality on the 550D?

Hi. I currently use a 550D. It's 2 years old now and I feel like I want to move onto more serious hardware. Would you recommend the 7D as a worthy upgrade or more of the same. Generally shoot landscapes, generic travel/city images.

What problems are you experiencing with your 550D that makes you want to upgrade? Or do you just have gear lust?

From the subjects you shoot the 7D would perform like the 550D, you don't need the abilities that separate out the 7D (superior AF, high burst rate etc). If you are looking to improve the image quality in your pictures better lenses may help or you may want to consider a full frame camera.

Thanks for your help. Just gear lust I guess, although thinking the switch to full frame might be handy. After looking further, i think your right the 7D doesnt offer me enough benefits go justify the spending. Got a mixture of EF and EF-S lenses. Need a better standard walk around lens first as tend to use the kit lens for standard use. Thanks for your help.

Got my 7D a couple of days ago, having upgrade from 550D.
Loads of interesting stuffs on this post.

Can anyone tell me in AI Servo AF Expansion does/can the camera tell you when you are in focus. Like when in auto you get a 'beep' and the circle show up?

Can anyone tell me in AI Servo AF Expansion does/can the camera tell you when you are in focus. Like when in auto you get a 'beep' and the circle show up?

Thankfully, no. In AI Servo the focus is continuously adjusting, so it would be continually beeping.

Thankfully, no. In AI Servo the focus is continuously adjusting, so it would be continually beeping.

Ok so there is no way to actually figure out if the subject is in focus? I see your point about the beeping, but would have thought you would get the circle/dot in the viewfinder...

Just joined the club :)
Can't wait to get out with it this weekend (have a Falconry day on Saturday :D )

shutter count is stored in the camera and cannot get incorrect reading with shutter count software or sites. now file number is a not the way to read the count as it can be inaccurate. also a thing to remember is if you are in live view mode the shutter is up so when you take a photo the shutter does not move this is called a action. so your file numbering will increase but not the shutter count if you look at the black photo i uploaded a couple of posts back you will see my shutter count is 25270 and i have 3179 actions

I know this is going back a few days, but this afternoon I grabbed my CF card from my 7D and put it in my 5D without formatting it, my new camera suddenly had a file number of over 5000, clearly not correct!

Fickle creatures these cameras!

I'm still here, just!

I love my 7D it works well when I use it correctly.

I normally use a 16-35mm 2,8 as a walk about lens and the 70-200 4F

Cruft to bits.

Bit late to the game but my 7D should arrive today. Have made the step up from a 550D which I think is a brilliant Camera. Fingers crossed that I will like it. (y)

Don't worry Kevin, I think you'll find the 7D a much more comprehensive camera than the 550.
Have a good read up on the AF system and ETTR (expose to the right) and you'll be away :)

After not using my 5D II to it's full potential I decided to trade it in along with my 24-70L for a 7D and 17-55is 2.8. Best decision I've made in a long time. And i made £300 to put aside for a rainy day!

After not using my 5D II to it's full potential I decided to trade it in along with my 24-70L for a 7D and 17-55is 2.8. Best decision I've made in a long time. And i made £300 to put aside for a rainy day!

Bit of a strange move IMO. Most people would swap camera/lens the other way round!

Yeah true, but I've recently started downhill biking again & the 5D just wasn't doing the job for what i wanted to do.

It just didn't have the spot on focusing that i wanted from it.

Had it a day now but not been able to use it due to my CF card not arriving :razz: Itching now! :puke:

Just got a Canon 7d a little over a week ago. It took me about a week to really get use to where all the buttons were (it's a work in progress), but I'm getting there. This is an upgrade from the Canon T1i (which I still love).

I took the camera and my 100-400mm lens to the zoo the other day and loved most of the photo's I took. I originally had a UV filter on the lens, but I heard that I should take it off to get really sharp photo's. I tried that and liked the results, then went back to the zoo the next day to try it with the filter on. I really think with the filter on the photo's weren't quite as sharp. The only reason I didn't just take off or put on the filter the same day is because I got tired of lugging the camera around for miles and miles. Besides that I didn't even really think about the filter when I was shooting.

I think this camera is GREAT!

Had the first proper play with mine today. Quite different to my old 550d which I had completely worked out. The 7d needs treating gently as mistakes with it cost you dearly. Liking the AF though so far

Thanks for your help. Just gear lust I guess, although thinking the switch to full frame might be handy. After looking further, i think your right the 7D doesnt offer me enough benefits go justify the spending. Got a mixture of EF and EF-S lenses. Need a better standard walk around lens first as tend to use the kit lens for standard use. Thanks for your help.

I you do need the FF of the 6D instead of the hight performance features of the 7D.
The 550D is a great DSLR and if you go to the FF 6D you will notice the benefits of shooting landscapes with FF.
Plus the view finder is like looking through a large window ! ! :)

Does anyone know of a good 101 guide to shooting video on the 7D?

Got a climbing trip next week and would like to shoot some videos. I've had a play with the settings, and read a couple of bits and pieces. but was wondering if there was a quick "how to get the best results" style guide somewhere?

Thank you :)

Also - one thing I noticed:
Spot Metering - it only meters off the center point - not the active AF point. Can this be changed, or is it a case of exposure lock then recompose?

On the 7D spot metering is around the centre point only. You can't move it about.

Back