Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
Well, I have decided to take the plunge and trade my 70d for an 80d
I have been very impressed with my 70d, a super camera. But there are a few enhancements in the 80 that have swayed me :canon:

Any thoughts ?

I'm quite tempted to do exactly same as you - swap my 70D for 80D. Not available until end of month though and I need my 70D until then so can't firm up exchange with Jessops... doh.

Seems to be quite a bit of interest in the 80D, much more than previous xxD updates. Not really sure why though...

Maybe it's the 24mp+ sensor, should be quite impressive on a APS_C came era.

I have decided to take the plunge and trade my 70d for an 80d
For me there is not enough additional feature set on the 80D to contemplate the upgrade to the 80D. Looks like the 90D may be a batter upgrade

Last edited:
That's the dilemma isn't it? How long do you wait for the next best camera?

The 70d has been my firm favourite, especially with macro and the 100mm lens effectively becoming a 160mm.

I still think the best part about this 'range' is the flip out screen though, excellent :)

For me there is not enough additional feature set on the 80D to contemplate the upgrade to the 80D. Looks like the 90D may be a batter upgrade

Where would the 90d be though in terms of upgrade and features? Maybe it will get 4k? Personally I don't see anything major happening until 2018. But both of those are ages away :D

Both fuji and sony have updated there sensors for the better, will be very interesting to see a comparison between all 3...

4k would not be enough to tempt me to upgrade to a 90D, if it appeared in 2018.

Have you got a delivery date for it? Look forward to having a play with one at the photography show at the nec.
No not yet :(

End of March is all we know.

I'm expecting to do the deal on the day, they have agreed a part ex so that's fine. Most likely need to haggle!

Our local agent, WEX still have nil stock, due anytime though :whistle:

Our local agent, WEX still have nil stock, due anytime though :whistle:

I think you will be a very happy owner, had a play today at the photography show and I'm quite impressed, the live view af is really good, seems a little faster than my 7dmk2? Sensor looks great and high iso is certainly looking good to me compared to my 7dmk2, though I forgot to put the 80d in raw and shot jpeg. Overall handling is like a 70d really, though I think the 80d feels nicer, though it is a while since I had my 70d though.

The new 18-135 as an aside is very nice, I noticed a good difference in the af speed over the stm version.

I think you will be a very happy owner, had a play today at the photography show and I'm quite impressed, the live view af is really good, seems a little faster than my 7dmk2? Sensor looks great and high iso is certainly looking good to me compared to my 7dmk2, though I forgot to put the 80d in raw and shot jpeg. Overall handling is like a 70d really, though I think the 80d feels nicer, though it is a while since I had my 70d though.

The new 18-135 as an aside is very nice, I noticed a good difference in the af speed over the stm version.
Sounds good. FM did some comparisons and the general vibe was DR at low ISO's is improved with the new sensor but the 7DMKII is better at higher ISOs. Still not Nikon / Sony DR performance but getting better :)

Looking around the pre-order sites Amazon UK is showing a shipping date of the 25th so this Friday :)

Sounds good. FM did some comparisons and the general vibe was DR at low ISO's is improved with the new sensor but the 7DMKII is better at higher ISOs. Still not Nikon / Sony DR performance but getting better :)

Looking around the pre-order sites Amazon UK is showing a shipping date of the 25th so this Friday :)

Here are some samples for you, nothing perfect as it was elbows to elbows at the canon stand, plus my right side isn't the steadiest atm. Click through to flickr for full size. Only differnce, my 7dmk2 was in raw, theses files are converted and saved to jpeg in dpp, nothing done to them at all, the 80d was large jpeg, 18-135 stm on my camera and new 18-135 on the 80d

7dmk2 16000 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

80d 16000 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

80d 12800 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

7dmk 12800 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

7dmk2 6400 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

80d 6400 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

My local store has the bodies in stock, though they cannot sell them till the 25th. But the're closed this friday. The body + kit lens, which is what I have preordered will not be in their store until next Wednesday.

Panamoz say they should have stock after the Easter weekend but no word on pricing yet.

My local shop are saying Wednesday or Thursday was going to do the deal there as getting good trade in for my 70d. Had a email from wex saying my preorder is ready to be sent and they will price match my trade in so if loca shop ain't got it by Wednesday I will go with wex. Just got to send the 70d off

I am on leave next week (W/C 28/03) so hopefully get mine sorted then :)

Just depends who is going to do the best for me, Jessops or WEX?

80D appears to be shipping today, any samples as yet?

I am still tempted but I have my 70D/750D pairing fully under my belt now. Whether I can resist when I have an 80D in my hands will be the moment to give in or get one. My eldest som has one on pre-order....

I'm in York at the mo, so WEX will get a visit most likely Tuesday :) can't wait

I should get my hands on one later today. If I do I'll be using it tomorrow and Sunday. Be interesting to see how the AF performs!
Post some images/opinions, that would be excellent :)

Portus Digital have some stock coming in after the Easter weekend but it sounds limited numbers and no pricing yet.

She's in my hands!

80D.jpg

Picked up quite late today though so was dark by time I got home. Have taken a few shots inside with a 100-400 II but nothing to properly test it yet. Does handle nice, very much like the 70D as expected. Can't seem to get the NFC working properly yet though, may need to actually read the manual lol

Well done, excellent stuff ;)

Yeah, does help, read the manual...

Well I upgraded from a 40d to the 70d, I'll be interested in hearing how you all get along with the 80d. Enjoy your new cameras.

Digital Rev and other grey retailers are starting to show prices now, £899 for body only.

Last edited:
Used the 80D in anger for the first time yesterday paired with a 100-400 II and was quite impressed I must say. AF seems a bit better compared to the 70D and it looks like noise control is a bit better too, especially above ISO 800. Because of the gloomy weather I went to ISO 2000 and images were still usable. I don't think there's a "big" jump from the 70D, I've always found that a pretty capable camera but I do feel there's an improvement which I can notice.

Here's a quick sample pic, hotlinked from my Facebook (won't post directly due to size) - https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...628_1055110327894408_225028130146940551_o.jpg

Plenty more were taken with the 80D and 100-400 combo. The Wifi hookup to Phone works well just like it did on the 70D and I seem to have a few more "keeper" shots, so pretty happy to far.

Back