Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

Last edited:
Trade em all in for a 5Dmkiv when it comes out :) I don't think you would see much benefit going from a 70D to the 80D unless one of the newer features attracts you. The 70D was already a great camera,

When the 5d4 comes out i'll probably swap the 6D for a clearance or lightly used second hand 5D3

Wrt the 80D , my inclination is to swap the 50D for either an 80 or a 7 or a 7mk2 so that all my bodies use the same batteries and cards , carrying a bunch of BP511s as well as LPE6s is a pita (ditto for carrying CF as well as SD although they are so light its less of a concern) , so my I'd have a 70 and an 80 rather than going from one to the other.

that said while the 70 is already a great camera the main draw of the 80 for me is the improved AF system , and the ability to AF at F8 using the centre points

skimmer .jpg into the blue .jpg
Can't say I've ever used a Nikon, but I hear they make pretty decent cameras as well lol.
i have owned and used various models of both ,for wildlife imho canon is best .the one thing i can't get my head round at the moment is that while the finished images look superb from this 80d the initial RAWS viewed at 100% appear noisy .might try a change of tactics to shooting in program mode dialling in the shutter speed and aperture and leave iso to auto ,just to see what happens .or just see if its my lens causing it. a couple from earlier today no problems with larger sized b.i.f ,total fail with the house martins in flight though

Last edited:
More great shots. I really want to get in to BIF but all i have are pigeons and Gulls here in central London.

I know what you mean about the raw files. In LR mine seem quite heavy in the blacks and the reds seem to pop too much. Ive had to make a new Camera default for the 80D. I guess my eyes are still adjusting to going from a 5Dmkiii to the 80D. I must admit i cant put the camera down at the moment. I just love it, especially with the 10-18 on it. Now i can get shots ive thought about taking but never could, due to not having a wide enough lens. Its funny but ive gone from FF to a x1.6 crop, but now im taking wider shots than i ever had. This is another advantage of crop cameras, the lens choice is so much larger, and sometimes cheaper.

@Pete. thats sounds like a good plan. Shooting AF at f/8 was never something i thought about until i got a x,14 TC at Christmas. Now its something i do have a need for.

nowt wrong with b.i.f practise with gulls a few slices of bread works wonders ,and by the way i grew up in the east end so i know the birds are there your just not looking ,two places top of my head ,river lea marshes and reservoirs ,and barnes wildlife/wetlands centre

Yeah, they give good target practice. We aren't short of Gulls pestering the Tourists. To be fair, I said central London and neither of those places count ;-) I know of quite a few places that I can visit to do it, it's just that I live 2mins from the Gabriel's wharf so not much choice around here.

Yeah, they give good target practice. We aren't short of Gulls pestering the Tourists. To be fair, I said central London and neither of those places count ;-) I know of quite a few places that I can visit to do it, it's just that I live 2mins from the Gabriel's wharf so not much choice around here.

A few shots with my new 10-18.

Summer evening skyline
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Interesting, modern building

Old fire alarm
Dave

Some really good shots there! Memory lane for me too....

I have both the EF-S 10-22 and10-18. I really like the former and never thought about wanting to change/replace it but it is hardly a 'walkabout' lens and married to a gripped 50D was a beast weight combination. I got the 10-18 for the STM silence and, surprisingly, Image Stabilisation for hand held shooting. It has since proved to be my first choice EWA lens and, extremely sharp. The lower weight is a bonus and with a 70D or750D a useful and capable set up for handheld cityscapes. The STM makes for super quiet video on the 750D as a bonus. It even works brilliantly on my EOS M body when I want a lightweight kit.

Tbe 10-22 is now my 'tripod' lens for long exposure with ND filters. I think it is a 'keeper' and a first choice on the tripod "waiting for the light".

I am resisting the 80D as, like others, I don't feel the upgrade is big enough from the 70D and getting the 750D as a second body covers my growing interest in video. I got both for less than the price of the 80D.

Having recently tried a friend's new Tamron 16-300 hyperzoom on the 70D, I have a feeling that this lens might be interesting on an 80D body. A very useful 16mm wide end, albeit with some CA issues, but perhaps the ultimate holiday lens at a time when airlines are almost charging for extra beads of sweat you may be taking on board?

When all is said and done though.... I am following this thread closely!

Steve

Thanks Steve.
I almost got the 10-20, until I realised it didn't have IS. In fact i didn't even know the 10-18 existed until I saw a mention of it in a 10-22 review. After 4 years of full frame I hadn't been keeping up with the EF-S lenses,
It's funny but I never really worried about wide end, I never thought I missed it until now. The 80D/10-18 is a joy to use. It might be slow at the long end (or rather anything bu 10mm) but I've had good shots at almost 1 sec in doors.
In a way I think maybe a 760D might have been more of a solution, as I was looking to downsize and the 80D is still pretty big compared to the xxxD range. Saying that, I can't stop playing with it and I'm more than happy with my choice.
A mate came round last night with his 70d and we both decided we would both be happy with either, the 80D just had a few more "nice" bits.

I've always stayed away from those super zoom lenses, even the canon 18-200 didn't seem too impressive. I guess there is always going to be a compromise. Could be an interesting lens for, like you say, holidays etc.
I'm off to Gran Canaria in Aug but I'm going to take my Sony a6000. I don't want my DSLR's going anywhere near a beach. The plan is to sell it when I get back to cover the cost of the 80D as much as possible but I will take my 10-18 to use on it.

Thanks Steve.
I almost got the 10-20, until I realised it didn't have IS. In fact i didn't even know the 10-18 existed until I saw a mention of it in a 10-22 review. After 4 years of full frame I hadn't been keeping up with the EF-S lenses,
It's funny but I never really worried about wide end, I never thought I missed it until now. The 80D/10-18 is a joy to use. It might be slow at the long end (or rather anything bu 10mm) but I've had good shots at almost 1 sec in doors.
In a way I think maybe a 760D might have been more of a solution, as I was looking to downsize and the 80D is still pretty big compared to the xxxD range. Saying that, I can't stop playing with it and I'm more than happy with my choice.
A mate came round last night with his 70d and we both decided we would both be happy with either, the 80D just had a few more "nice" bits.

I've always stayed away from those super zoom lenses, even the canon 18-200 didn't seem too impressive. I guess there is always going to be a compromise. Could be an interesting lens for, like you say, holidays etc.
I'm off to Gran Canaria in Aug but I'm going to take my Sony a6000. I don't want my DSLR's going anywhere near a beach. The plan is to sell it when I get back to cover the cost of the 80D as much as possible but I will take my 10-18 to use on it.
I went for the 750D to use as a go anywhere camera. With the EF-S 18-135 on it, I have to say that it 'does it all'. Discrete 'street' falls on my EOS M with the awesome EF-22mm f/2 pancake. Not sure there will ever be a camera/lens 100% match!

The Tamron 16-300 is not perfect but it is compact and fairly lightweight.

Steve

Since I got my a6000 just over a year ago it made em realise I I can be just as happy with lower IQ. I don't need to take my 5d out all the time. Unfortunately when I got my 70-300L it took me right back to the 5D and this is/was my main walk about combo since Nov lest year. Now it looks like my 80D/10-18 or 24-70 will take over, but that's a stap back from the a6000 still.
I had a EOS M a few years ago. Nice camera but it just didn't work as I wanted it to.

Since I got my a6000 just over a year ago it made em realise I I can be just as happy with lower IQ. I don't need to take my 5d out all the time. Unfortunately when I got my 70-300L it took me right back to the 5D and this is/was my main walk about combo since Nov lest year. Now it looks like my 80D/10-18 or 24-70 will take over, but that's a stap back from the a6000 still.
I had a EOS M a few years ago. Nice camera but it just didn't work as I wanted it to.
I know what you mean.

I have a Sony HX60 which produces some great results though the menu system drives me bonkers. I have a really nice 5Dc but it tends to be used only for family and friends portraits with the 85mm f/1.8.

I still cannot fault the M with the 22mm fitted.

Steve

I loved the idea of the M, and had no issues with IQ, it was just the AF that i found too slow, and the LCD hard to see in bright sunlight.
I love the a6000, and almost sold off all my Canon gear when i got it, but the lens selection is pants (IMO). Luckily ive been using my Canon lenses on it but its a bit too much hassle really.

I loved the idea of the M, and had no issues with IQ, it was just the AF that i found too slow, and the LCD hard to see in bright sunlight.
I love the a6000, and almost sold off all my Canon gear when i got it, but the lens selection is pants (IMO). Luckily ive been using my Canon lenses on it but its a bit too much hassle really.
The AF can be sluggish but so far has not been too problematical. As for the viewfinder well I have a dark purple microfibre towel which lets me go 'retro' so the VF whiteout is not a problem! £2.75 off the bay and useful in any camera bag. I had hoped the M3 would have had an optical viewfinder but no a ££££ EVF was Canon's answer and my 2 M boodies is as far as I will go o the M path - even though I still put one in my pocket when out.

The AF on tbe 80D is no quicker than the 70D so I will see what next (90D?). Maybe I wsnted more from the 80D but...... I still look.

Dave resources are a little thin on the ground at the moment I normally like to have a hard back handbook guide in my bag but even the likes of Scott Kelbys book wont ship until late August. I will look Doug J Klostermsnn thanks for the tip

Dave resources are a little thin on the ground at the moment I normally like to have a hard back handbook guide in my bag but even the likes of Scott Kelbys book wont ship until late August. I will look Doug J Klostermsnn thanks for the tip

No problem. I find Doug's books are best read once you have a feel for the camera, but i much prefer his books to the more basic ones that sometimes appear. I just put them on my ipad and dip in and out when i feel like it.

Right, found an issue today that is bugging me. When using my Kenko x1.4 TC and 70-300L (not tried any other lens) the 80D is producing very over exposed shots. The meter in the VF is in the center (tried all metering modes) but it looks like its about 2 stop over, at least, when i look at the resulting images. Using LV is fine.
Thats really annoying.

The other thing is using the SET button and dial on the top to change ISO when in Auto ISO mode. It only seems to hold for about 4 seconds and then jumps back to auto. This is a real pain as its a feature i use all the time on my 5Dmkiii.

Just got my 80D today just finding my around the camera. Found a useful link with regard to AF set up

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2016/eos80d-landingpage.shtml
Just applied some of the settings he recommends in there ,sounds good and makes sense after a month with the camera ,if it speeds up that initial grab of the focus for b.i.f then it's a winner ,will try later and report back what I have applied and whether or not it works in field use .
In fact that's the only downside of this camera to date its initial hesitation to focus especially on b.i.f the changes he gives in the article should help and if it does it will help enormously

Just applied some of the settings he recommends in there ,sounds good and makes sense after a month with the camera ,if it speeds up that initial grab of the focus for b.i.f then it's a winner ,will try later and report back what I have applied and whether or not it works in field use .
In fact that's the only downside of this camera to date its initial hesitation to focus especially on b.i.f the changes he gives in the article should help and if it does it will help enormously

Keep us posted I will be out this week end with my 80D for the first time intend to try dome BIF shots

I'm loving this camera, still getting used to it, slowly but surely :whistle:

Metering is good and the focusing is bang on too.
Jak_14May16.jpg

Keep us posted I will be out this week end with my 80D for the first time intend to try dome BIF shots
Just got back in but all I can say is wow what a difference the settings I changed have made ,instant lock on to b.i.f ,bursts with more keepers etc ,I will update later once I have viewed on computer and list my changes but it's looking good .

Just got back in but all I can say is wow what a difference the settings I changed have made ,instant lock on to b.i.f ,bursts with more keepers etc ,I will update later once I have viewed on computer and list my changes but it's looking good .
Sounds good and also very interested :)

heres what i did
o.k just been through todays shots and extremely pleased listed below are the changes i have made .all i can say is it improves focus lock on time ,theres no longer a slight hesitation as it acquires focus and makes this camera now a pleasure to use for birding .
these are changes made in C.FNii by each number
(1) a/f sens - locked on
(2) accel/decel set to 2
(3) a/f pt auto set to 2
(4) set to release
(5) set to focus

as stated these are what work for me using a sigma 150-600mm sport .you can but try it but i'm happy with the results

tried it again yesterday ,and again very happy with the results re-focussing ,one thing that is becoming very noticeable with this 80D though is the fact that when doing b.i.f against a blue sky with other previous cameras i have always had to apply positive exposure compensation to get a shot ,with this one it seems happy enough at zero .its a learning curve but one thats falling into place nicely

I was struggling with BIF at the weekend. I had the camera all set up for it but kept getting OOF shots. I then realised i had the DOF button set to switch between One shot and Ai servo, but i was already using Ai servo. i was effectively turning it off. Dumb moment.

Anyway, im very impressed with the tracking on this camera.

This was taken with my 70-200 f/4 IS. Ive not used this lens since Nov last year. Not a great shot but im very happy that i can do this sort of thing. It seems easier than on the 5Dmkiii, but thats probably not how things actually are.

Another SGIF over the River Thames

You are going to love it, the best enthusiast APC camera out there :canon:

one from yesterday ,a heron in flight 600mm hand held and i love the detail this sensor is getting ,and when the light drops most files are more workable than other previous canon sensors files .flight detail.jpg

Very cool, love the detail and sharpness.
I went for easier targets yesterday, and also used soem old lenses that i hardly ever bother with these days.

This was with the 70-200 f/4 IS.

A bridge too far

This shot was a struggle. I was trying out my old 100mm f/2 lens. I had forgotten i still had it as i meant to sell it a few years ago. It works really well on the 80D but as these guys came past i found it much to long and all i could do was wait until they got down the road a bit.

Vintage transport

nice dave ,had to push mine this evening ,a wren in dark woodland had the 150-600 sigma sport on so maximum f6.3 aperture ,so i upped the iso to 5000 quite impressed on camera but i'll post later or tomoz if acceptable .getting to like this camera more each day

The camera arrived this evening, hopefully get to have a good look at it tomorrow. Any good recommendations for additional batteries? Local shop do the hahnel LP-E6 equivalent (HLX-E6) for £49 and heaps on Amazon for cheap. Any experiences? Cheers :)

The camera arrived this evening, hopefully get to have a good look at it tomorrow. Any good recommendations for additional batteries? Local shop do the hahnel LP-E6 equivalent (HLX-E6) for £49 and heaps on Amazon for cheap. Any experiences? Cheers :)
Have a look below, it's relevant to the 80D too. The short version is 7DayShop own brand and the Ex-pro batteries got recommended :)

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/canon-6d.625254/

Great, thanks Sharky

7dayshop were out of stock so went with Expro direct

Last edited:
Back