Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

Abouts to buy my 80D! Woohoo. I was waiting for the 6D2 announcement and specs and whilst good, I feel the 80D is more suited to me, was very close indeed to buying it a few times at the end of the last year/beginning of this one.

Anyone bought there's from Panamoz? Never used them before but the price seems good.
I bought mine form panamoz last year, arrived in 3 working days and they even price matched a competitor and added an sandisk card ..always had a fast and good
Delivery front them.

I bought mine from HDEW (without wanting to start a conversation about tax avoidance etc) I ordered it Thursday evening, got an email Friday saying it had been dispatched by next day delivery, excluding weekends, and it arrived Monday, and got three year uk warranty.
Great camera, you will love it.

Last edited:
Hi John,

Thanks. I ordered mine from HDEW on Thursday but it's still showing as paid and processing. Hopefully arrives before Friday as I've got F1 on Friday and RIAT on Saturday.

When you say you ordered yours on Thursday do you mean Thursday last week?

Last edited:
Hi Joel, no ive had mine a few weeks now.
I do remember ordering it on a Thursday evening and getting an email back from them friday morning saying they have received my order and is being processed.
I got another email from them later in the day saying my order has been processed and is dispatched by next day courier service (excluding weekends).
It arrived Monday as promised.
Good luck, i hope they get yours sorted for the weekend.

Hi John,

Thanks. I ordered mine from HDEW on Thursday but it's still showing as paid and processing. Hopefully arrives before Friday as I've got F1 on Friday and RIAT on Saturday.

When you say you ordered yours on Thursday do you mean Thursday last week?

I got one from them a couple of months back. Turned up in approx 36 hours.

Just opened the box and took my lovely new Canon 80D out.

There is a very slight rattle when the camera is gently shaken, nothing I ever noticed with my 700D. Upon a quick Google I found a thread where someone else mentioned this and in the manual it even makes a reference to it and says its to do with the flash port, but perfectly normal.

Just curious if anyone on here has noticed the same with theirs?

Just opened the box and took my lovely new Canon 80D out.

There is a very slight rattle when the camera is gently shaken, nothing I ever noticed with my 700D. Upon a quick Google I found a thread where someone else mentioned this and in the manual it even makes a reference to it and says its to do with the flash port, but perfectly normal.

Just curious if anyone on here has noticed the same with theirs?
Just checked mine and it does the same. Cant say I've noticed it up until now. Enjoy the camera, they are excellent.

Put my 80d through its paces at a dance show last night with circa 3000 shots. The lighting was a nightmare, so to get at least 1/500 I has to shoot f2.8 and the iso was up to 12000 - usually between 6400-10000. I looked at some of the images last night on my telly and I was very impressed - I wont get to edit any of the images until later in the weekend but I will pop some up on here for you guys to see. Using servo AF, 9 points, high speed shutter for bursts, it worked a charm! Battery wise, used two as I had bought a spare (Hahnel £30) and I swapped over at the interval - neither were fully used up - probably 2 bars left on both which I thought was good, too. Not sure if this helps anyone at all, but it was just so much fun to shoot, despite having to push the ISO.

You may recall me saying that i shot a dance show recently (as a favour to the dance school principals) and so here are some of the edited shots:
ISO 8000
Red Writing Hood-1 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr
ISO 12800
Pierrot Pals-19 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr
ISO 10000
Philharmonics-1-42 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

I thought they were decent images for the ISO, you guys may think otherwise, but moving from a 550d I couldn't have got anywhere near this with the old camera!

Going to New York for two whole weeks next week and just bought a couple of 32GB cards

I'm struggling to actually find the "shot" capacity

I will shooting in Raw and just wondered approximately how many shots I should get per card on my 80D ?

Going to New York for two whole weeks next week and just bought a couple of 32GB cards

I'm struggling to actually find the "shot" capacity

I will shooting in Raw and just wondered approximately how many shots I should get per card on my 80D ?
It will tell you on the screen what amount you can take.

EDIT:
just checked mine and it is over 700 and I shoot RAW with large Jpeg.

Last edited:
lol you know I never thought of that

Will check tonight but if it will do that many and with my other cards I should be fine.

I put a 32gb card in for that dance show I referenced above and I shot jpeg and shot off 3500 images and it still wasn't full. Raw files are about 20mb aren't they so I'd say you'd easily get 2000 shots in a 32gb card probs more. @tonybassplayer

I'll give my wife the good news that we need to be out earlier, stop more often and stay out later plus maybe a little milky way work [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] can't come home until they are full !!

Just got one of these a few days ago with an EF-S 18-200 lens, so pleased with the combination, it's completely rekindled my interest in photography after several years off, my last camera was a 50D which even with a 70-200 2.8 L IS, this new combination is so much better, may even post some images soon :)

I have mine up for sale on here along with a couple of lenses. Only because I pretty much only shoot landscapes now and need to scratch the full frame itch. Just in case anyone is looking at this thread contemplating getting one...

Well i have just did a swap for my 6D for an 80D & i must say i am very impressed with it.:D
Still getting to grips with the best AF points to use for sport,birds in flight as i have been so used to just having the center focus point on the 6D.:)

Well i have just did a swap for my 6D for an 80D & i must say i am very impressed with it.:D
Still getting to grips with the best AF points to use for sport,birds in flight as i have been so used to just having the center focus point on the 6D.:)

yeah, its a great camera, I tend to use the group focus points especially for moving birds, there is a vid over on youtube that I watched and that was the recommended setting.

You mean the center group ones i take it.:)

yup, the nine centre points, I think it was a vid from Canon USA that I watched

@chriscross Wow, stunningly sharp results from the Tamron - I never really got on with mine, but you've inspired me to give it another go with my dog & cat subjects!

@chriscross Wow, stunningly sharp results from the Tamron - I never really got on with mine, but you've inspired me to give it another go with my dog & cat subjects!

Thanks! Wide open it's not bad at 300mm but not amazing - @f7.1- f9 ish it's belting. The MFA on the 80d has helped when at 300mm

yup, the nine centre points, I think it was a vid from Canon USA that I watched
Is that the one Canon refers to as zone AF mode?
As I think that may have been the mode I tried out for the first time at Goodwood the other month.

It missed a couple that I know my 5D AF would have grabbed on to, but maybe that's down to my individual settings.
I was still real chuffed with the shots I got though.

Thanks! Wide open it's not bad at 300mm but not amazing - @f7.1- f9 ish it's belting. The MFA on the 80d has helped when at 300mm

I last used mine on my 70D,, look forward to giving it a go. Did you have to MFA much?

Is that the one Canon refers to as zone AF mode?
As I think that may have been the mode I tried out for the first time at Goodwood the other month.

It missed a couple that I know my 5D AF would have grabbed on to, but maybe that's down to my individual settings.
I was still real chuffed with the shots I got though.

thats right.... group auto focus but not the wide area ones, just the nine centre ones in conjunction with BBF.

Back