Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

It's a pity you can't choose a delivery contractor. I've always, always found that TNT are the world's worst!

John Lewis are tops (y)

Not had anything yet but yes, I believe when you get notified they deliver the following day so still time as we are not going till after work on Friday.

I have ordered from Panamoz a few times in the past, great service. When I was ordering my 80D from them a couple of weeks ago I added it to my basket and when I went to check out the entire website look changed. This concerned me and I decided not to go ahead. I ended up buying on the high street and it costing me a couple of hundred more. Not sure if I regret it or not now :( love the 80D though :)

No news on my 80D so looking like I will be using my 60D this weekend but not too bothered as I may have just spent the weekend figuring out how to use it :)

I can use the weekend getting to know more about my 60D [emoji23]

Take the leap Tony, you'll love it (y)

Despatch on Monday, here on Tuesday. I can handle that. Something to look forward to [emoji322][emoji322][emoji7][emoji7]

So first impressions coming from an absolutely ancient EOS 40D

• It feels a lot smaller than the 40D, even though it isn't really.
  • The more curved thumb rest on the back of the camera is much more comfortable
  • I love a touchscreen on a DSLR!
  • I can see the flippy screen being very useful for getting some interesting shots.
I can't comment on what I feel about image quality yet because I won't be able to get out and take some photos with it until next weekend but first impressions are good

This may not be the right thread but, what do you think is the best medium range zoom lens for this camera.

My 70-200 isn't really suitable, albeit a wonderful lens. With the 1.6 factor taken in to account, any suggestions?

This may not be the right thread but, what do you think is the best medium range zoom lens for this camera.

My 70-200 isn't really suitable, albeit a wonderful lens. With the 1.6 factor taken in to account, any suggestions?
Depending on your budget either 70-300L version or a MK1 100-400 both good glass I currently have the Sigma 150-600 bolted on it seems all the time

Not sure if it's strictly classed as a medium range zoom, but I'm using a Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 on my 80D. I've had it for years and it has previously served me well on a 70D/50D and 450D! Delighted with it and no real desire to change. That said, I do also have a 24mm F2.8 STM which I sometimes pop on the camera body if I want to travel really light!

Not sure if it's strictly classed as a medium range zoom, but I'm using a Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 on my 80D. I've had it for years and it has previously served me well on a 70D/50D and 450D! Delighted with it and no real desire to change. That said, I do also have a 24mm F2.8 STM which I sometimes pop on the camera body if I want to travel really light!
17-55 F2.8 is the best AP-C lens on the market for a walkabout it really should have a red ring around it :D

Status updated to "Dispatched" earlier today so crossing fingers for delivery tomorrow.

Getting pretty excited about this :)

Well it's out of the box and fully charged up etc and even managed to get it set up with Canons camera connect app which was no mean task.

Feels very nice and familiar as expected and looking forward to taking a few outdoor shots tomorrow.

The manual (s) are monstrous but I can understand why.

The auto focus system looks like I need to spend plenty of time with to get full advantage.

All in all very pleased and raring to go.

Well it's out of the box and fully charged up etc and even managed to get it set up with Canons camera connect app which was no mean task.

Feels very nice and familiar as expected and looking forward to taking a few outdoor shots tomorrow.

The manual (s) are monstrous but I can understand why.

The auto focus system looks like I need to spend plenty of time with to get full advantage.

All in all very pleased and raring to go.
yup, but you will love the 45 focus points with selectable zones and all cross hairs as well :banana:

Used mine to photograph my sons football tournament games at the weekend. The AF is excellent. Yet to find a fault with this camera.

So by some miracle I have managed to get the camera to link up to the camera connect app on my phone but just wondering if there is a trick I am missing to re-engage them after the connection has been lost. I can't seem to see an actual re-connection process apart from touching them together which doesn't seem to be very robust in practice.

Any thoughts ?

Sorry, should have said iPhone

Many thanks. Will have a watch of that later today.

Done everything on the video and got it working again but after switching off it's all gone again.

Surely I don't have to go through this process every time I want to use it (or do I ?)

Tony

Done everything on the video and got it working again but after switching off it's all gone again.

Surely I don't have to go through this process every time I want to use it (or do I ?)

Tony
I have to connect to mine everytime. Not sure if there's a way around it.

Just realised that if I go in to my wifi settings on my phone and select the camera one it comes back on automatically.

Sorry for all the questions but looking at moving on my 60D and fairly sure the battery grip is not compatible with the 80D. Is that correct but I believe the batteries are ?

Many thanks

Tony

Sorry for all the questions but looking at moving on my 60D and fairly sure the battery grip is not compatible with the 80D. Is that correct but I believe the batteries are ?

Many thanks

Tony
Batterys are the Canon LP6-EN
Grips are the BG E14's the same as the 70 D, don't know if they are the same as the 60D though.

Just realised that if I go in to my wifi settings on my phone and select the camera one it comes back on automatically.

Yes, and you might notice that you need to create a different connection on the camera for each device you want to connect to.

By the way, NFC doesn't work with iphones so don't worry about that.

Just set up back button focus.

Heard so much about it and most seem to like it so thought I would give it a try.

Pretty easy steps following a YouTube video.

Just set up back button focus.

Heard so much about it and most seem to like it so thought I would give it a try.

Pretty easy steps following a YouTube video.
1st thing i do on my cameras. Its much better once you get used to it

Excellent images, crisp and clear (y)

Back