Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

Yes, will give that a go. Rarely do black and white so now is the time.

At the weekend me and the wife and kids went to Hare Hill NT nr Prestbury,Cheshire for a day out. Its actually a really good place - small compared to other NT places we have nearby but lots of interest to keep the kids happy. Its got a walled garden that has a gravel walk way all the way round it which we saId was our running track. Using BBF, AI Servo and 9 Focus points with tracking I got these action shots with the boys running at me. Pretty pleased with a couple of them

Hare Hill-3 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Hare Hill-4 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Hare Hill-5 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

I also got a couple of portraits of my youngest, who still poses for me - the eldest just rolls his eyes now!!

Hare Hill by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Hare Hill-6 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Yeah, they are very fast. I ordered my 5Dmkiv from them last night and its due here Thursday. When i got my 80D it seemed to go from HK and then half way around Europe to get to me, but still only took 4 days.

I haven't posted in this thread for a while. But I recall talking to you a while back; about the 135L to go with your 5D3.

Did you ever get a copy? As I put my one on the 80D the first time today; and to say I was disappointed with the results is an understatement.

It doesn't bother me too much. As it's absolutely faultless on my 5D3 (which is what's most important) but just wondered if you had one you may have tried on this camera; to share any experience in comparison to your 5D bodies.

I haven't posted in this thread for a while. But I recall talking to you a while back; about the 135L to go with your 5D3.

Did you ever get a copy? As I put my one on the 80D the first time today; and to say I was disappointed with the results is an understatement.

It doesn't bother me too much. As it's absolutely faultless on my 5D3 (which is what's most important) but just wondered if you had one you may have tried on this camera; to share any experience in comparison to your 5D bodies.

Yes, i did get a 135L. Probably had it for a couple of years now.

Funnily enough im with you on this, on my 5Dmkiii (and now MKIV) its stunning. The images are probably the best i get out of my full frame bodies as far as overall looks goes, but i wasn't as impressed with it on my 80D. Not sure why, it focuses ok, but it doesn't have the wow factor compared to the 5D. Still a great lens though no matter what body ive had it on, but i tend not to bother with it on the 80D.

Yes, i did get a 135L. Probably had it for a couple of years now.

Funnily enough im with you on this, on my 5Dmkiii (and now MKIV) its stunning. The images are probably the best i get out of my full frame bodies as far as overall looks goes, but i wasn't as impressed with it on my 80D. Not sure why, it focuses ok, but it doesn't have the wow factor compared to the 5D. Still a great lens though no matter what body ive had it on, but i tend not to bother with it on the 80D.

Thanks for the reply.

I expect (knowing me,being as picky as I am) I'll at least try and do a micro focus adjust on it,to see if I can get it any better. Even though I've already said it's not too important! [emoji2]

Have you done any MFA between the 2 on your setup,to get the above results. Or did you just try it from the outset?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I expect (knowing me,being as picky as I am) I'll at least try and do a micro focus adjust on it,to see if I can get it any better. Even though I've already said it's not too important! [emoji2]

Have you done any MFA between the 2 on your setup,to get the above results. Or did you just try it from the outset?

Hahn, yeah, same here. Not too bothered at first, but when i get bored i start to tinker with things.
I did a MAF on my 80D and it ended up at +7. Cant say i noticed any difference when actually out shooting with that setting, and in fact i tend not to rely too much on FoCal anyway, as i can always get different readings.

We have a notice board in the kitchen that I normally test my lenses on. Standing about 15-20 ft away I found that i didnt need as much as that, and reducing it to about +3 gave the same result. Hand held, but that's how I need the lens to work so its more practical for me to test in real world environments (and thats what Canon advise anyway).
I didnt need any on my 5DMkiii, but i find the higher MP sensors can be a bit more demanding on the lens and AF system.
Ive not yet tried FoClal with my 5Dmkiv, as its not an automatic process like on the 80D, and I'm too lazy at the moment lol.

Hahn, yeah, same here. Not too bothered at first, but when i get bored i start to tinker with things.
I did a MAF on my 80D and it ended up at +7. Cant say i noticed any difference when actually out shooting with that setting, and in fact i tend not to rely too much on FoCal anyway, as i can always get different readings.

We have a notice board in the kitchen that I normally test my lenses on. Standing about 15-20 ft away I found that i didnt need as much as that, and reducing it to about +3 gave the same result. Hand held, but that's how I need the lens to work so its more practical for me to test in real world environments (and thats what Canon advise anyway).
I didnt need any on my 5DMkiii, but i find the higher MP sensors can be a bit more demanding on the lens and AF system.
Ive not yet tried FoClal with my 5Dmkiv, as its not an automatic process like on the 80D, and I'm too lazy at the moment lol.

I have a few weeks off on the week after Easter. So (weather permitting) I'll take my calibration stuff outside for a bit more room,and have a tinker [emoji4]

How do you mean,the 80D has an automatic process? As in the way it calibrates lenses?
I just assumed you checked it,and altered accordingly in the custom settings just like the 5D3.

What i meant was using FoCal with the 80D, the process of adjustments is all automatic. With the 5D's you have to manually change the MFA settings when the program tells you. Not a big deal but the the 80D is so much easier.

Ah right,Okay.
Think I ought to read the manual on this one to be honest. As there's a few things I've heard it can do. But not sure what they even are [emoji6]

Blue Tit-4 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

We have a 'new build' house circa 4yrs old and thus not many garden birds visit us. However we have had a pair of blue tits move into next doors bird box, which is great news as they are resting on the tree just outside my house before they enter their new home. Here's a sample from the 80d

70-300mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 282.0 mm
  • 1/1000
  • 160 ISO

Last edited:
Having started to use this more often now, along side my 5D3. I immediately noticed the lack of shadow and highlight clipping in Adobe Raw, compared to what I usually experience with my 5D3.
The difference in dynamic range between the 2, is obviously quite substantial.
Did you notice this when you owned yours?

Edit: sorry I missed the quote option. I was replying to @dave_bass5

Last edited:
I'm not sure it was an immediate difference I noticed, but over time i came to realise i was having to do less work in LR with the shadow and highlight sliders.
Yeah,that's pretty much what I'm getting at. I can almost guarantee one of the shadow / highlight clipping triangles will initially be showing red or blue on my 5D3 photos.
Nowhere to be seen on the 80D files, so far...
Bit off topic. But how much of a substantial upgrade (in any aspect) would you say your Mark IV is to the 5D3?

You know, i was very happy with my 5D3, except high ISO's in low light. When the 5D4 was announced i paid it no attention at all. It was having the 80D and loving the new features that made deciding which camera to take out a problem. Sharper images from the 5D3, but a much more fun camera in the 80D, and IQ more than good enough. I did crack a couple of months ago though, but I'm one of those people that just has to do it and cant wait.
Yes, its an upgrade, and a good one, but for me its more the smaller changes that make the difference. I love the new AWB that the 80D has, and auto ISO with EC is another 80D feature i wanted. Its like a 80D on steroids :)
I still find i have more fun with the 80D though, and i expect ill use that more than the 5D4, but when the situations demand FF the choice is now a lot easier to make.

You know, i was very happy with my 5D3, except high ISO's in low light. When the 5D4 was announced i paid it no attention at all. It was having the 80D and loving the new features that made deciding which camera to take out a problem. Sharper images from the 5D3, but a much more fun camera in the 80D, and IQ more than good enough. I did crack a couple of months ago though, but I'm one of those people that just has to do it and cant wait.
Yes, its an upgrade, and a good one, but for me its more the smaller changes that make the difference. I love the new AWB that the 80D has, and auto ISO with EC is another 80D feature i wanted. Its like a 80D on steroids :)
I still find i have more fun with the 80D though, and i expect ill use that more than the 5D4, but when the situations demand FF the choice is now a lot easier to make.
Thanks, Dave. Even though I'm only a hobbyist, I'm seriously considering treating myself to an upgrade [emoji16]

Goes to show you how little I've read into the 80D though. As I had no idea about the features you mentioned in your post!

Hi people. Recently picked up a Canon 80D (upgrade from a 400D so as you can imagine I'm delighted so far) but have come across an issue with regards to external flash. I have an old Jessops 360 AFDC flash that works fine with the 400D but I can't get it to fire on the 80. The Camera knows it's there as it shows in a menu that something is attached to the hotshoe, but it just doesn't fire. Is there a setting i've missed?

Thanks in advance.

Lee.

That's interesting Lee. I have heard of non-Canon batteries not behaving in the 80D, possibly the same with 3rd party flash guns. I only have Canon flash so I can't help. Be interesting to hear from a fellow user.

Does it let you change he settings in the menu you refer to? On mine, 80d and old yongnuo flash, it fires the flash but doesn't recognise the flash in the menu/settings. Also you may get more answers in the 80d users thread

I cant change anything other than TTL or 2nd curtain sync. Strangely, when mounted, the "test" button on the flash will not fire the flash but as soon as it's removed from the camera, it works every time.Might have to look at picking up a second hand 580EX.

I'm not at home at the moment so limited access to the manual and the camera.

But it is set to a manual setting? Av, Tv etc?

I'm not at home at the moment so limited access to the manual and the camera.

But it is set to a manual setting? Av, Tv etc?
I've tried in Manual, Av, Tv. Just put it back on the 400D and worked perfectly. Returned to the 80D and still nothing. The ETTL lights up on the flash almost immediately.Could it be the contacts? Looking at them there is absolutely zero damage to the contacts or shoe, it is exactly as it came from factory.

Well, I still think it's a deliberate action by Canon to disallow 3rd party 'bolt on's' (n)

As I have said earlier, I don't have a 3rd party flash to try, sorry :(

Well, I still think it's a deliberate action by Canon to disallow 3rd party 'bolt on's' (n)

As I have said earlier, I don't have a 3rd party flash to try, sorry :(
This is what I'm hoping (rather than a faulty shoe). Time to go shopping for a 430 i think. Thanks for the time & help people.

Hi people. Recently picked up a Canon 80D (upgrade from a 400D so as you can imagine I'm delighted so far) but have come across an issue with regards to external flash. I have an old Jessops 360 AFDC flash that works fine with the 400D but I can't get it to fire on the 80. The Camera knows it's there as it shows in a menu that something is attached to the hotshoe, but it just doesn't fire. Is there a setting i've missed?

Thanks in advance.

Lee.

My jessops flash works with the 80d. Will check what model it is later.

Still been persevering to see if I can get it to work. I've noticed that the camera is metering for the flash (even though it isn't firing) when connected. So it's like it knows the flash is connected, meters accordingly but when it tells it to fire, it isn't doing (resulting in underexposed, very warm shots.

Which is funny as mine doesn't meter for it at all. I have camera set to manual M mode, and have to set ISO, Shutter and aperture myself, and set the flash power myself too. Good fun though! P.s I can use wireless trigger on mine too.

Ive just returned from a 10day holiday at a eurocamp in Spain with the family and felt compelled to write a little mention about the 80d, which I used for about 1000 shots whilst I was there. It worked flawlessly for everything I thre at it - portraits, action, video, high ISO, battery life was great, wifi etc. All the things I wanted when I upgraded from the 550d I have in this camera, very happy with it. The video is quality and I'm finding myself using it more and more with the kids doing little videos with them making 'mini movies' which they love to watch back.

Some example images. The slide ones were AI servo tracking and it just was excellent.

Reuben Slide-2 by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Jude Slide by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Elvis Jude by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Catalan by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Barcelona Cathedral by Chris Shaw - chriscross, on Flickr

Just wondering if anyone has tried infrared on an 80D (with a filter, not a camera conversion) and if so, any advice specific to the 80d/live view, etc.
I've just ordered a step up ring for my 58mm R72 filter so that it'll fit on my 24mm STM.

Abouts to buy my 80D! Woohoo. I was waiting for the 6D2 announcement and specs and whilst good, I feel the 80D is more suited to me, was very close indeed to buying it a few times at the end of the last year/beginning of this one.

Anyone bought there's from Panamoz? Never used them before but the price seems good.

Back