Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

can anyone suggest a good sd card for the 80d i loved my 70d but the buffer filled realy quick and i missed lots of shots.i believe the 80d writes faster to the cards now is that right..

It is the write speed of the card that matters, not the write speed of the camera. I use 90 MB/s speed cards which is fine for my use - I rarely take bursts of more than four images at a time.

can anyone suggest a good sd card for the 80d i loved my 70d but the buffer filled realy quick and i missed lots of shots.i believe the 80d writes faster to the cards now is that right..
I use SanDisk Extremes on my 80D and did so on my 70D (my pevious camera). Never had any issues.

Really lovely scenery.:clap:

Two firsts for me next weekend:-

Camping and motor bike racing at Oulton Park

Obviously the camera and lenses are coming with me and I just need some advice

My camera is set up for back button focus.

Would I be right in thinking that the best way to maintain focus on the bikes would be to use AI Servo and focus on the bike and keep the button pressed down to keep focus on the bike as it moves ? Never really got to grips with this part of the manual and camera yet.

Many thanks

Tony

Hi guys,

What settings autofocus wise etc. are you using for BIF or Aircraft etc.?

Just seen this and guess we are probably asking similar questions lol

Just seen this and guess we are probably asking similar questions lol

I'm no expert but im using for similar stuff the following - AI servo - 9 point AF - Manual mode And setting shutter at 1/1600, f 6.3/f7 ish, auto ISO. I'm sure I've set the fine tuning of the AF based on someone's suggestion very early in the thread, this is by going into the custom function settings etc

For Airshows I use AI Servo, 9 point AF, TV Mode (which I change depending on type of aircraft, for prop planes 1/250-1/500 and jets 1/1600-1/2500), Auto ISO.

Many thanks for the info

Having a bit of a "get to know my camera more" day and I just can't seem to find info on the following

Previously when shooting in live view with auto focus I have touched the screen where I want focus to be and when focus has locked on it has shown a small green box.

I can't seem to get this working at the moment and guess I have accidentally changed a setting

I can either get it to do nothing or get it to take a picture immediately by touching the screen

Any thoughts as to what buttons to press as I really like that feature when in live view on a tripod

Many thanks

Tony

Many thanks for the info

Having a bit of a "get to know my camera more" day and I just can't seem to find info on the following

Previously when shooting in live view with auto focus I have touched the screen where I want focus to be and when focus has locked on it has shown a small green box.

I can't seem to get this working at the moment and guess I have accidentally changed a setting

I can either get it to do nothing or get it to take a picture immediately by touching the screen

Any thoughts as to what buttons to press as I really like that feature when in live view on a tripod

Many thanks

Tony

Try this
First menu- the camera icon one
Page 5
This is live view settings page
Go to 'Touch shutter' and move to 'disable'
I think you can do this in Q too but cannot remember immediately what that icon is - you must have knocked it like I did once and it's very annoying when it just takes the shot rather than focusses
Does that work?

Many thanks

All sorted and I have now realised that when it is in live view the bottom left corner button switches that facility on and off and must have been touching it accidentally

For Airshows I use AI Servo, 9 point AF, TV Mode (which I change depending on type of aircraft, for prop planes 1/250-1/500 and jets 1/1600-1/2500), Auto ISO.
Similar here but like to use centre metering and/ or push the exposure or the camera meters the sky and you get sillouetes rather than planes and then have to lift the shadows in post

Missus has just upgraded from a 450D to an 80D. Obviously a somewhat different camera. It came with the new 'Nano' version 18-135mm. So far very impressed.

That's a huge jump up the technology ladder :eek:

That's a huge jump up the technology ladder :eek:
I've been trying to get her to upgrade for a while, but any advice from me seems to fall on deaf ears. However, we both attended an 'advanced' photography course last weekend and after some input from one of the tutors, she has succumbed. I think the 80D is the best fit for what we shoot, some of the lenses we already have and is not too big. Looking forward to having a play with it. So far it compares well with my 7DII.

Question for you guys who use the wireless flash function with this. If you would be so kind as to give any help.

I'm looking to start learning off camera flash; and my colleague at work is selling his ST-E3 transmitter (very cheap)

What I'd like to know. Is the built in flash control on these cameras a worthy alternative (in the long run) over the Canon transmitter; or would it be better to grab that cheap?

Many thanks for any replies.

I've bought a Hahnel transmitter and receiver for a cheapo old Yongnuo flash and it worked fine. I thought you could only trigger off camera flash with the on board flash though - I.e so you had 2 flashes going at the same time? I might be wrong on that but that's what I found by playing around with it. Hope this helps .

I've bought a Hahnel transmitter and receiver for a cheapo old Yongnuo flash and it worked fine. I thought you could only trigger off camera flash with the on board flash though - I.e so you had 2 flashes going at the same time? I might be wrong on that but that's what I found by playing around with it. Hope this helps .
Thanks very much.

I read the camera manual last night, and (as you said) requires the pop-up flash to be activated, to control the off camera flash.
Didn't realise it fired alongside the other flashes as well though...

He only wants 80 quid for it. So I may as well take it off of him and dig in [emoji3]

Thanks very much again for all your help.

Due to the untimely death of my 1d4 last week and getting a full refund as it was under warranty ,I decided to invest in a new camera again ,so I have taken delivery of my new 80d today ,it’s a easy learning curve having had one before as some will remember .now just got to wait for some decent weather and birds to appear

well first time out with the new one and very pleased with the results ,,only took about 50 shots in poor light but having had a 80D before I must admit this one seems a little bit better .just put my lens on it and its spot on ,also managed to find a little rarity this morning among the fieldfares and redwing flock a lone starling in black and white ,never seen one like it before .
a negative morning by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

well first time out with the new one and very pleased with the results ,,only took about 50 shots in poor light but having had a 80D before I must admit this one seems a little bit better .just put my lens on it and its spot on ,also managed to find a little rarity this morning among the fieldfares and redwing flock a lone starling in black and white ,never seen one like it before .
a negative morning by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Excellent contrast in that image colours are fab.

Wrong thread

Last edited:
After what seems like a lifetime of shooting with Canon, I never thought I would live to see the day when I had no (useable) Canon kit anymore.
But after another year of under-use and only one trip to my favourite motor racing venue, reality has started to hit home. As much as I love the 80d & lenses it does seem rather silly to leave it sitting in its camera bag and reaching for my Panasonic almost every time i walk out the door. Both cameras have their advantages and disadvantages (minor in my opinion) but at the end of the day it has come down to a couple of things really; weight and the ease if using my growing collection of old manual focus lenses on tne mirrorless G80. Image quality wise, I cannot fault the 80d and I have taken some truly stunning shots with it over the last year or so. I have accepted that I may be compromising on image quality in some circumstances and there is no doubt that I will be losing out on tracking fast paced action, but they are compromises I have decided to accept.
I almost forgot to add that to a degree I think this is partly age related. 5/6 years ago lugging my 50d and associated lenses round Silverstone didn't cause me any issues. Today, 6 years older and not as young as I used to be, it has started to become more of an issue for me.
I know there will still be regret when I see this through!

Last edited:
After what seems like a lifetime of shooting with Canon, I never thought I would live to see the day when I had no (useable) Canon kit anymore.
But after another year of under-use and only one trip to my favourite motor racing venue, reality has started to hit home. As much as I love the 80d & lenses it does seem rather silly to leave it sitting in its camera bag and reaching for my Panasonic almost every time i walk out the door. Both cameras have their advantages and disadvantages (minor in my opinion) but at the end of the day it has come down to a couple of things really; weight and the ease if using my growing collection of old manual focus lenses on tne mirrorless G80. Image quality wise, I cannot fault the 80d and I have taken some truly stunning shots with it over the last year or so. I have accepted that I may be compromising on image quality in some circumstances and there is no doubt that I will be losing out on tracking fast paced action, but they are compromises I have decided to accept.
I almost forgot to add that to a degree I think this is partly age related. 5/6 years ago lugging my 50d and associated lenses round Silverstone didn't cause me any issues. Today, 6 years older and not as young as I used to be, it has started to become more of an issue for me.
I know there will still be regret when I see this through!

Or you have become wiser as you get older...'its not the camera' and 'the best tool is the one you have with you'

Pleased with what I’m getting with this new one ,if anything it seems to be just that little bit better than my first one ,or perhaps struggling with a ailing 1D4 for a couple of months has taught me to learn the camera better

Back