Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

Just noticed a body only 80d in a CEX shop in Southport for £610 if anyone looking for one /another one. Not sure of the finer details but I thought that was cheap for a body only .

Thought I’d post this for anyone that doesn’t know this re: bulb mode in the 80d.....There I was with my 10stopper recently counting to 100 in my head when taking a shot in bulb mode. Little did I know that there is a timer on the top LCD screen that counts up in seconds how many seconds the shutter has been open for. Probably standard but I’d never shot bulb mode before and....well when I saw it I was delighted as its pretty annoying counting to anything more that 10! I thought it might help someone else if they never have used it like me. Cheers.

Thought I’d post this for anyone that doesn’t know this re: bulb mode in the 80d.....There I was with my 10stopper recently counting to 100 in my head when taking a shot in bulb mode. Little did I know that there is a timer on the top LCD screen that counts up in seconds how many seconds the shutter has been open for. Probably standard but I’d never shot bulb mode before and....well when I saw it I was delighted as its pretty annoying counting to anything more that 10! I thought it might help someone else if they never have used it like me. Cheers.

In bulb mode you can set the timer to do exactly the right exposure time you want so you can just press the shutter and leave it until it closes again and shows the picture preview. Combining this with the 2 second timer means I no longer use a remote release or my canon connect app. It's all built in the camera.

Anybody that shoots video with external mics ever had theirs randomly record balanced instead of dual mono/ balanced?

A few clips from my most recent recordings had this issue. I had to fix 2 uploads I had ready to publish in YouTube plus 1 I had made public which had clips that worked fine everywhere bar some mobile phone speakers... discovered the fix was switching the audio in post to dual mono and deselecting a channel. But want to avoid this in future when I use lav mics (Tonight I worked out how to do this with my main mic kit. There was one other mic that it also happened with but I can’t figure out why it was fine on some clips and not on others)

Has anyone gone from a Tamron 70-300 vc to the canon 70-200 L - is it worth it? I’m itching for an L series lens having rented one last year and this is in my sights.

Has anyone gone from a Tamron 70-300 vc to the canon 70-200 L - is it worth it? I’m itching for an L series lens having rented one last year and this is in my sights.

I did, when I had the 70d and Canon were running their cashback deal. Difference on that body was very noticeable.

On the 80d my 70-200 f4is is a delight. Light, silent, silky smooth and when on walkabout, not as bulky as the Tamron.

My barometer is my wife, who said my pics were far better too! :)

Hi all,
This is my first post! I've got myself an 80d after retiring a Sony DSLR and can't believe how much better it is, It's already made me switch to shooting in manual mode and actually getting a few semi decent shots.
I got it in kit form with the 18-135is. While that seems a really nice lens I'm after something more towards what I seem to shoot more of, cars. With my old Sony I had a 50 f1.4 which was great but found at 50mm to get a car in, at a show, with thousands of people around meant I was quite far back, further than I would like.
I'm certainly no pro when it comes to cameras but I've been on You Tube watching all I can! What would you guys and girls recommend for shooting cars without having to be too far back? I'm assuming it needs to be a decent wide angle and also I would like to use it for nice landscape shots. I have a budget of around 800, would I be better off getting a better used lens over a new one? I was looking at the 16-35L II, would that be any good?
I must say, after flicking through all 20 pages, I'm glad I went with an 80d and all of your shots are amazing, hope to be sharing some soon too.

Welcome to the club. You made a good choice with the 80D and 18-135. Thats my fav combo when using my 80D
If you want a 16-35 i would strongly suggest the f/4 version over the f/2.8mkii. It should come in just within your budget new, more so second hand (although not many of these come up soft sale).
The f/4 is just bettter all round IMO, other than its not f/2.8. I’d say to shoot large subjects up fairly close you won’t be lookin for a narrow DOF anyway. There f/4 is also sharper across the frame, although on a crop camera sharp edges are to be expected from most FF based lenses. Also the stabilisation on the 16-35 will allow you to hand hold at very slow shutter speeds. Good for lower light shooting and helps to blur crowds out at car shows etc. (sort of). Either way, you will get more value for money with the f/4, and sharper images. Dont get suckered in to having all fast lenses unless you know you need them.

Saying all that, I personally dont use my 16-35 on my 80D, as its not really much wider than the 18-135. I tend to use my very cheap 10-18 as my crop WA zoom. It’s a really nice lens and I’m very happy using that over my more expensive L lenses on the 80D.

Good luck with whatever you get though, and its all just my opinion.

Welcome to the club. You made a good choice with the 80D and 18-135. Thats my fav combo when using my 80D
If you want a 16-35 i would strongly suggest the f/4 version over the f/2.8mkii. It should come in just within your budget new, more so second hand (although not many of these come up soft sale).
The f/4 is just bettter all round IMO, other than its not f/2.8. I’d say to shoot large subjects up fairly close you won’t be lookin for a narrow DOF anyway. There f/4 is also sharper across the frame, although on a crop camera sharp edges are to be expected from most FF based lenses. Also the stabilisation on the 16-35 will allow you to hand hold at very slow shutter speeds. Good for lower light shooting and helps to blur crowds out at car shows etc. (sort of). Either way, you will get more value for money with the f/4, and sharper images. Dont get suckered in to having all fast lenses unless you know you need them.

Saying all that, I personally dont use my 16-35 on my 80D, as its not really much wider than the 18-135. I tend to use my very cheap 10-18 as my crop WA zoom. It’s a really nice lens and I’m very happy using that over my more expensive L lenses on the 80D.

Good luck with whatever you get though, and its all just my opinion.

Opinions are all good, thank you Dave. I've been into a few camera stores and not had any real decent advice as it seems they know less than I do!
I'll take a look at the 10-18, excuse my lack of correct wording but do you get any kind of image distortion at say 10mm?

Opinions are all good, thank you Dave. I've been into a few camera stores and not had any real decent advice as it seems they know less than I do!
I'll take a look at the 10-18, excuse my lack of correct wording but do you get any kind of image distortion at say 10mm?
You will get more distortion at the wide end the closer you are to the subject. You can definitely get non distorted images from this type of lens, but not if you are close to your subject. A lot of this can be corrected in software, but you do need to be aware of it. Have a look on Flickr etc for examples.
Agree about some shops. I always go in prepared and sometimes shocked at the ‘advice’ I get given. I guess it depends on the member of staff. If its just a job then they tend to give poor advice, whereas if they are photo enthusiasts you tend to get better advice.....sometimes. Photographers are a fickle bunch and can be quite opinionated...IMO anyway lol.

Is there anywhere that's better to be looking store wise? Only real local shops to me is Jessops, and its a tiny store with nothing really in it so can't see any lenses in hand. I've also just noticed cannon do 2 lenses, the 10-18 and the 10-22. Is there any advantages that makes the 10-22 a lot more money and is it worth it? Sorry for all the questions!

Ah, the old 10-18 vs 10-22 debate. Well, the 10-22 isn’t stabilised, is bigger and costs more money. It is faster by 1 stop at each end I believe. As far as IQ goes I’m not sure. I discounted the 10-22 when i was looking for a lens as i wanted IS, so i never really looked in to it. I know loads of people use it, but I’d guesss there isnt much in it as far as IQ. I tend to get lenses that suit my needs. It’s great if IQ is better than anything else, but I find functionality over ultimate pixel peeing IQ to be the main factor. Obviously it has to be up to par though. It may well be better than the 10-18 (although i dont think it is).

I use my 10-18 as a low light lens as well. I can shoot down to about 1/2 sec hand held with this lens. Not something I could do without IS. As good as the 80D is, i still try and keep the IOS as low as possible most of the time.

I tend to use WEX and Park Cameras as far as real shops go, but it tend to favour buying on line most of the time. This gives me the option to try a lens out on my camera under any situation i want, with the option to send it back if I dont like it or think its faulty. I’m not in the habit of sending them back, but its an extra layer of protection.

Again, just my opinion and experience.

Last edited:
Ok, not shots I would normally post (especially this one), but just as example. Both low res of course. This first was taken hand held at 10mm. Not a lot of distortion.

BAD40AAB-D107-452D-B0FA-F82F110A91DC.jpeg

This is 13mm., Still quite pleased with the lack of distiron in the final image. Both processed in LR mobile though.

A74E5257-D120-4207-94F7-8CD949F0C7A1.jpeg

I think that's good enough for me. 10-18 it is and that leaves me change for something else too! I'm off to a wedding in Tuscany in a few weeks so i'll post up a few shots for everyone to tell me where I'm going wrong. Glad I joined now, saved me lots of money! :ty:

Glad it helped.
I was amazed with the 10-18 when I got it. i really wasn’t expecting much. it was on rebate at the time, I think I paid about £140, so I thought I’d give it a go and then let my son have it for his 650D. That lens, the 18-135 and my 80D is all I really take when I go on holiday (if I’m not taking my 5D4). These will work well in Tuscany, so much sun you wont need to worry about fast lenses, at least not during the day.
Maybe its worth getting a prime as well?

Oh, and make sure you get hoods for your lenses ;-)

Another +1 for the 10-18

Mine punches hugely above its price tag weight and its so so light

Great value for money lens with superb clarity

So, I purchased the 10-18 IS and also a 70-200 f4 IS. The 10-18 is just what I was looking for. Extremely wide angle. I went away for a few days in our caravan and managed to get the full caravan (26ft) in frame being about a foot off the front. Like you mentioned Dave, I have noticed slight distortion but nothing that didn't take a few seconds to sort out after.

I do think I may grab a 50mm 1.8, for the price I think that will sort out all I need, I noticed whilst on a walk with my niece that her 50 1.4 took some incredible shots that I couldn't replicate.

Again thank you all for the advice, I probably would have taken a 16-35 instead at a much higher cost and not got what I was after. Thanks again. Will be off to Italy soon so will be posting pictures for criticism/tips!

My new 70-200 f4 with my 80d

So far, so good!

I just picked up one of those too, looks like I made a good choice. I wonder how many years you've got left getting pictures like that before they only go near each other to fight!!:D

Since nobody has posted in this thread for a while I thought I'd share some more of my motorsport images from the first part of this season. All taken with an EOS 80D and either a Sigma 120-400mm, Canon 50mm F1.8 STM or my awful old Sigma 18-125mm

RC-FunCup-Oulton-2018-14.jpg

RC-BritishGT-Rockingham-2018-23.jpg

RC-BritishGT-Rockingham-2018-50.jpg

VSCC-Oulton-RC-2018-45.jpg

BRSCC-Oulton-RC-Jun2018-19.jpg

BGT-OultonPark-RC-2018-19.jpg

That third image is a cracker! Come on then, what are the settings and techniques used ?

That third image is a cracker! Come on then, what are the settings and techniques used ?

Thanks a lot. I actually took that sitting down in the main grandstand at Rockingham right at the end of a two-hour race having spent the past few hours on my feet covering as much of the circuit as I could.

Settings were 18mm, 1/40th, f11 and the camera picked ISO 200 as I always use manual exposure with Auto ISO now. AI Servo AF mode with a single AF point selected, placed over the car and then panning to get the shot. A bit of cropping and editing in Lightroom and there you are. There's also about 15 attempts that got binned because the car was nowhere near sharp enough :LOL:

I never use all of the AF points, at most I have the 3x3 grid selected and then move that around the frame as required depending on the shot I'm going for. I also have the front control dial set to move back and forth through the AF area modes after I press the button, I find it much easier that way.

I'm currently waiting for a 80D to be delivered, hopefully by wednesday.
Over the years I've seen threads mentionng optimal settings on Canon bodies and just I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this for the 80D.
I've found this: https://ditchauto.com/top-5-settings-change-canon-80d/
He mentions that it's set to 'one shot' rather than 'AI focus' which I find suprising because because every Canon body I've used had a default setting to 'AI Focus'.
Any tips from you longterm 80D owners would be greatly appreciated.

The ring off the top of the mode dial on my wife's EOS 80D popped off yesterday. Unfortunately didn't see it pop off and couldn't the find it on retracing our steps across a playing field (needle-haystack situation). The mode button itself still functions fine. The camera is about eight months old and has not been knocked about, so we will contact the supplier and attempt to get it repaired under warranty.

I'd appreciate if anybody could pass on any pointers where I can get hold of a genuine replacement part in case we get stuck on the warranty thing?

I'm currently waiting for a 80D to be delivered, hopefully by wednesday.
Over the years I've seen threads mentionng optimal settings on Canon bodies and just I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this for the 80D.
I've found this: https://ditchauto.com/top-5-settings-change-canon-80d/
He mentions that it's set to 'one shot' rather than 'AI focus' which I find suprising because because every Canon body I've used had a default setting to 'AI Focus'.
Any tips from you longterm 80D owners would be greatly appreciated.

AI Focus will automatically change the focusing system between One Shot and AI Servo but this is not as good as selecting the correct focus system yourself, so if you're shooting a static subject choose One Shot and if your subject is moving choose AI Servo.

The ring off the top of the mode dial on my wife's EOS 80D popped off yesterday. Unfortunately didn't see it pop off and couldn't the find it on retracing our steps across a playing field (needle-haystack situation). The mode button itself still functions fine. The camera is about eight months old and has not been knocked about, so we will contact the supplier and attempt to get it repaired under warranty.

I'd appreciate if anybody could pass on any pointers where I can get hold of a genuine replacement part in case we get stuck on the warranty thing?

Is this the part you need?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=80d+dial&_sacat=0

Over the years I've been through a 450D, 40D, 50D, 1000D (don't ask :)), 650D and now an 80D
First impressions are wow, things have certainly come a long way.
The new AF point system is a massive boot and the ISO handling with test shots indoors is a massive improvement as well.
I'm going to enjoy learning about this camera although it's very intuitive.

A few shots with the 80D and 70-300L of the RAF100 Flypast, taken from just outside of Heathrow.
It would have been nice if the sky to the east had been as blue as that to the west.

Typhoon 100

RAF 100 - Typhoon
by Tim White, on Flickr

Lightnings

RAF 100 - Lightning
by Tim White, on Flickr

Red Arrows turning of the smoke overflying Heathrow

RAF 100 - Red Arrows turning on smoke over Heathrow
by Tim White, on Flickr

Shots deliberately kept wide to highlight the spectacle rather than any specific plane.

Missus contacted Canon. They sent her a package label. Shipped it out and it's sorted and back with us. All FOC under warranty.

Back